We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Does Harold deserve to be picked on by Duncan and Courtney so much?

Does Harold deserve to be picked on so much?

alagaesian

[221]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 12
    No matter how I look at it? Hmph, the way I look at it makes it seem like a tie. They both vitally contributed to the win because they were both necessary. I still believe that challenge is a tie.

Courtney tried to get Harold to wake Duncan up first. She's not brave enough to just get up and say, "Okay, I'm waking Duncan up. I have no reason to be afraid." Instead, she said, "I have no reason to be afraid, but I want YOU to wake him up."

Then, when they were poking him with the stick, Courtney made Harold stand in front of her. Much of Duncan's anger was directed at Harold instead of her because of this.

She wouldn't have been able to hit as many people as she did if she didn't have three other teammates backing her up.

Let's put it this way. Harold had two chances in the game. He did well in one, and did poorly in one. Courtney had all five chances. She did well in two, and poorly in two, and 'meh' in one. They both succeeded in half of their opportunities.

Let's say it's a matter of bravery. Courtney tried to use Harold as a meat shield for Duncan's wrath. Plus, like she said, Duncan wasn't going to kill anyone, because he wanted to win just as much as everyone else. Whereas, Harold was able to stare down Owen without any sign of fear. True, there was his girly shriek when he was attacked by LeShawna. But I think these two balance each other out enough to compensate for Courtney's acts.

Yes, Duncan's strategy won them two rounds. But, it isn't as if Courtney made up the strategy herself. One could say that Duncan contributed the vast, vast majority of those two wins. It was obvious that, despite the fact that DJ, Katie, Geoff, and Courtney were playing, they still sucked out loud. As soon as the strategy shows up, they're kicking the Gopher's butts. So, the strategy, not the players, was the vital factor in those two rounds. They don't get full credit for making scores. They were just there at the right place at the right time.

This is simply my opinion. I'm not saying Harold is superior to Courtney, nor Courtney is superior to Harold. They are tied. They both try their hardest in challenges, and they both succeed in different areas. Depending on what the writers of the show want, they can influence the type of challenges and have one person win over and over and over.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Diddy_2000

[222]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 8
    But you seem to forget that Courtney got Cody out.

Which SLIGHTY puts her above Harold.

HaydenAvery

[223]Sep 30, 2009
    • level: 21
    anyone can get cody out....and she included that duh coconut.

n5d25d90

[224]Oct 1, 2009
    Diddy_2000 wrote:

One person. Wow. Exciting.

I'm sticking with team effort.

Riankg

[225]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 6
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    Diddy_2000 wrote:

Me too. Courtney probably got more people out then Harold, besides we didnt see this. But at the same time if wasnt Harold they wouldnt have won the game. So it's a tie.

Diddy_2000

[226]Oct 1, 2009
    HaydenAvery wrote:
    anyone can get cody out....and she included that duh coconut.

Yes but it contributed just was much to the win as Harold getting out.

Brodoin15

[227]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 20

Sorry if this starts something, but from what I can tell if anyone is "slightly" better, it is Harold.

But I will agree to a tie.

n5d25d90

[228]Oct 1, 2009
    Brodoin15 wrote:

Sorry if this starts something, but from what I can tell if anyone is "slightly" better, it is Harold.

But I will agree to a tie.

It probably will start something. And I bet ya someone's gonna be mad 'cause you didn't say why. That's my prediction.

BrainMan820

[229]Oct 1, 2009
    • level: 16

Actually, look at it again. Courtney never participates in the second or fourth round. She does "meh" in two rounds, and superior in one.

The decision Courtney made to use Harold to wake up Duncan shows leadership, not cowardice. They need Duncan to win, but he's irritable and violent, and waking him up might cause someone to be placed out of comission. As such, you use the weakest player in the game. Tyler's not around, so she chose Harold.

Neither staring Owen down nor his cowardice around Leshawna mean anything. There's no decision-making involved.

The strategy Duncan created would have been impossible without the proper players (namely, Harold, Sadie, or Tyler, who could not throw). While I agree that strategy is important, it is useless without a proper player. Courtney is a proper player, Harold is not.

If you want to get technical, it was Courtney's strategy for Harold to stand his ground and catch the ball, rather than throw Owen out. You want to give Courtney her proper credit for that?

It's quite clear that, all points considered, Courtney is the superior camper in the dodgeball challenge. Comparing her and Harold with all the other challenges they've done, Harold's lone beatboxing victory doesn't amount to Courtney defeating him in several more challenges (not to mention comparing the two is impossible, as Bridgette took Courtney out of comission for the challenge.) Aside from fan love of Harold, there's absolutely no way to consider Harold the superior camper.

n5d25d90

[230]Oct 2, 2009
    Hmm... you make a good point with that "shows leadership, not cowardice" argument. I've always thought it was just an excuse, but after reading your explanation it makes sense.

Just to give Harold SOME props, if it wasn't for his dodging in the first place Courtney would've never gotten the chance to tell Harold her strategy. If Harold couldn't dodge, they would've lost before she'd get the chance to.

Just saying, yes, Courtney's the better dodgeball player, but give Harold a little credit at least.

Riankg

[231]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 6
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    Hmm... you make a good point with that "shows leadership, not cowardice" argument. I've always thought it was just an excuse, but after reading your explanation it makes sense.

Just to give Harold SOME props, if it wasn't for his dodging in the first place Courtney would've never gotten the chance to tell Harold her strategy. If Harold couldn't dodge, they would've lost before she'd get the chance to.

Just saying, yes, Courtney's the better dodgeball player, but give Harold a little credit at least.

Of course we need to give some credit to Harold he helped his team winning..causen if it wasnt him they wouldnt have won. But still Courtney helped more.

n5d25d90

[232]Oct 2, 2009
    Riankg wrote:
    n5d25d90 wrote:

Of course we need to give some credit to Harold he helped his team winning..causen if it wasnt him they wouldnt have won. But still Courtney helped more.

Of course. I didn't say otherwise, did I?

BrainMan820

[233]Oct 2, 2009
    I do agree that contributed to his team's victory. The whole point was that Courtney contributed more to the team, and, when the two campers are compared side by side, Courtney is the superior Killer Bass. Harold gets props for catching one ball. The fans seem to attach an inexorable amount of prestige to the last thing done before the elimination. Take a look at "Phobia Factor." Courtney had no need to participate since winning would not have garnered her team a victory, and everyone thinks she's the biggest failure. That's why they seem to think Harold was more influential than he was. Or it could be just fanboyism for the Napoleon Dynamite ripoff. Whichever.

Diddy_2000

[234]Oct 2, 2009
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    Diddy_2000 wrote:

Yes one person the exact same amount of people that HAROLD got voted off.

alagaesian

[235]Oct 2, 2009
    I still think the dodgeball game is a tie, but that is simply my opinion for the reasons stated above.

Courtney, yes, is good at the challenges that are currently being thrown at her. Why? She needs the invincibility to stay in the game, so the writers are making her win to keep the Duncan-Courtney romance going. Harold succeeded in quite a few challenges when Courtney was not participating in TDA, because it helped along the fluctuating Gaffer conflicts. Both of their wins are purely based on what plot developments need to happen.

Still, I have to give Courtney large amounts of credit on her TDA challenges so far. As far as I can tell, she's won every single one of them.

This does not make Harold useless, however. If needed for plot purposes, the writers will surely let him win a few rounds. Just because the plot does not require it at this certain moment doesn't mean that it won't happen in, say, the final four.

And, I'm sorry to say, but if the final two is a grudge match between Harold and Courtney...Harold's going to win. Not simply through his 'made skills', but because he is a protagonist and she is an antagonist. The villains never win, unless the win somehow drags them into a much worse situation. In which case, she really isn't going to win, since Harold will come out in a better situation.

And there is no way I'm about to connect "better" in challenges to "better" in moral stance. No offense, severe Courtney fans, but she is plain nasty. She whines. She tries to get her lawyers to do the challenges for her. She hits her boyfriend in the kiwis. Granted, like Chris, I love her nasty attitude. She's a good villain. Her skill in challenges just makes her that much more villainous; not only is she mean, but she's hard to get rid of. But, being the "better" competitor does not make her the "better" person.

Diddy_2000

[236]Oct 2, 2009
    I actually now think instead of Courtney vs. Harold The Final 2 will be.
    Beth vs. Courtney
    and Beth will win.

alagaesian

[237]Oct 2, 2009
    I even doubt Courtney being in the final two just because of how predictable the result would be. Unless, of course, she finds a way to redeem herself and become a good guy again.

Brodoin15

[238]Oct 2, 2009
    • level: 20

Personally, I think Courtney loses some points in TDA. Not challenges, really, but because of her "rules" and the fact that she keeps on going on with her lawyers about the game.

She's practically cheating. In fact, in the newest episode, she said in the confessional that she'll use her lawyers to make sure she wins the million dollars.

At least Harold isn't trying to beat the system to win.

imverybasic

[239]Oct 2, 2009
    Exactly. This is what I've been saying from the beginning. Clearly, Chris has been bending the rules in her favour, which has made the same far too convinient for her. The fact that she is able to win three challenges--two of them which were set up, by the way, does not make her the superior camper. Love and anger are both major emotions that work in different ways--combined together could be a lethal weapon. When you have a match set up on the same platform, with the person that you care for most but at the same time, have a score to settle with them, it's very easy to knock them out. Courtney could have easily jabbed Duncan (hard enough) in the stomach or in the ribs and that would have been enough to knock him off the platform. The fact that she decided to go for the crotch was just the icing on the cake for her. Yes it's a form of self defense and it's taught for a reason, but in this instance, she decided to hit him there for the sake of revenge. Duncan was simply off his guard and simply off his games in those times that he had to fight Courtney and he couldn't bring himself to do it. Yes, she retrieved the items from the pedestial in the first part of the challenge, but ended up reling on both her lawyers and the wirecutters to help her cut the wires where everyone else used their barehands. This doesn't make her a more superior player than Harold. Yes, she's mean and nasty and she'll do anything to win, but at least Harold goes accordingly by the rules. He doesn't rely on other people or material posessions to get him out of situations, and more importantly has proven that he could get anywhere with his raw skills and talent. The only thing that Courtney has manage to show everyone is that she can't get by without the help of her laywers. Almost every challenge shows her getting her lawyer on the phone to assist her before getting an out of office office reply. At least Harold saved everyones' lives and he didn't need material possessions to do it. Courtney would rather have someone else get her out of a situation before resorting to using her brain. That's not what makes a superior player.

Diddy_2000

[240]Oct 2, 2009
    Depends what you mean by "superior"

If you mean more usefull/stronger in Challenges then Courtney wins.

If you mean by kindness and personality Harold wins.