We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

TheDancingRat

[425]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 2

LadyJade2827 wrote:

I think everyone is saying Amon hates benders because that is the vibe he is giving off, now if he does we don't know. People are not giving the Bumi theory any credit because why would Bumi have any reason to hold anything against anyone. People are saying that if he was sad or mad that he was the only none bender in his family all he needed to do was go talk to his uncle Sokka and find out that you didn't need to be a bender to be worth something in the world. So unless General Iroh stole Bumi's girlfriend when they were young, or being in the army when Bumi couldn't, I don't see Bumi having any kind of vendetta with him. Amon being Bumi is just so out in left field that it can't be true for people. But now having said that this is Avatar and anything can happen.

I am completely baffled by this line of thinking. Let's break down what we know about Bumi:

1. He is Aang and Katara's second child.

2. He was born a non-bender.

3. Katara said he and his sister Kya were "crazy" as children so he was raised by his mother for at least part of his life.

Other than that, EVERYTHING regarding Bumi is pure speculation. The Bumi theory relies on a wild supposition that there are holes in his backstory we haven't accounted for, that he has some reason to want to spread dissent between benders and non-benders, and that he somehow has figured out a way to take away people's bending (or appear to). I agree that this theory by necessity can only be based loosely on facts and therefore does not have a strong position. While you can argue that there is no evidence Bumi would have inherited anti-bending powers from his father (based on what we know about bending and spiritual energy from A:TLA, TLoK, and the creators), you CANNOT argue that Bumi has or doesn't have motive as fact. We simply know nothing about this character.

You can give me a theory why you think Bumi would have no motivation (ex: Aang and Katara would have raised him in a loving environment and treated him equally to his bending siblings). I can give you a theory why he might have a motivation (ex: Bumi ran away at the age of 7 and found himself living with a group of prejudiced non-bending ruffians akin to Jet's gang. After years of living with them and seeing the way cruel benders treated defenseless peasants he decided to take up the guise of Amon and fight to give the non-benders an advantage). We can nitpick why one theory is more likely than another but until the creators or the show divulges more facts about Bumi we cannot confirm nor refute any Bumi theories... for all we know, Bumi may not even be alive.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheDancingRat

[426]Jun 17, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I don't like the Bumi theory either, but him hating benders or being jealous bender doesn't have to be motive. Sozin's motive was originally to bring the world together. It just turned into horrible conquest that nearly ended the world. If Amon were Bumi he could be someone trying to bring balance by taking bending away. My problem with Bumi theory is that Aang's visions in no way hint that his son is involved in this.

I proposed an answer for this problem a while ago so I'm just gonna quote it here:

TheDancingRat wrote:
    Did anyone else see Amon seemingly Airbend when he attacked Korra?

When she escapes, Korra throws icicles at him and Amon leaps forward, kicking up snow in a fog. As he jumps out of the fog he's protected by a tornado-shaped swirling vortex of air. This could explain how he is able to move so fast.

I believe he is the offspring of Aang (probably Bumi). Aang showed Korra in a flashback that Yakone was a bloodbender and used that to communicate that Tarrlok was his son and learned this incredibly unique bending power from his father... but could Aang also be warning her that Amon is his son and learned this also incredibly unique power from HIS father?

Amon passing through the fog protected could also be explained by him being a Waterbender, which is further supported by his resistance of bloodbending through the use of "counter-bloodbending." Equally feasible, if Amon is a pure Chi-bender it might be possible for him to bend any or all of the elements in addition to stripping people of their ability to bend.

shadowscott

[427]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 23
    So instead of Iroh II being Zuko's son, which I thought woudl be the case, i heard another theory. Maybe he's his grandson, son of his daughter who is now firelord. and the father? none other than Bumi (maybe?)

RaizenYusuke

[428]Jun 17, 2012
    • level: 28

@Dancing Rat: That is cryptic enough to work for the Bumi theory.

I could see Bumi as a possiblity. Aang and Katara I probably instilled in all their children the need for balance in themselves and the world. Tenzin seem to take it seriously. Aang was the Avatar who knows how many threats he had to face and end. I am sure there were a few Fire Nation rebells who tried to keep the war going or more people like Yakon who abused their power or benders that abused their power. If Bumi grew up seeing this he could think there can't be balance in the world because of bending.

Amon could be a tyrant trying to stir up fire, so he can take over the world or genuine feels getting rid of bending will rid the world of evil or imbalance. He may just be some angry victim who has a grudge against Aang and is trying to destroy the city he helped build and torture Korra because she is his reincarnation.

Safe bet is Amon is Yakone or a second son of Yakone and a blood bender. But maybe there is something else to it. What if this isn't even the real Amon, but a stand in, while the real one somewhere else trying to learn energy bending to take away bending for real? I don't want to roll out every possiblity that is within reason just yet.

gwolf23

[429]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 1

don't somebody think it might be koh the face stealer from the spirit world. and maybe stole anng's face, and enter the mortal world.

Kwando7

[430]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 18

shadowscott wrote:
    So instead of Iroh II being Zuko's son, which I thought woudl be the case, i heard another theory. Maybe he's his grandson, son of his daughter who is now firelord. and the father? none other than Bumi (maybe?)

That is very likely but why would Zuko's daughter name her child Iroh?

SennaGeneux

[431]Jun 18, 2012
    gwolf23 wrote:

don't somebody think it might be koh the face stealer from the spirit world. and maybe stole anng's face, and enter the mortal world.

I do

I do think its something spirit world related but then why go through all the trouble of the mask? I'm sure they hiding Amons face so when we do see it we can be all 'OMG I didn't see that coming'

Which is why, in my opinion, it isn't Bumi or a Yakone's other son it would be someone we know. However, seeing as the majority of the characters we have seen in the new series are accounted for, this leaves someone from the old series. But I can't think of how the hell Amon could be from the first series without being like 90...

I don't think any of us are going to guess correctly, I just hope its not anti-climatic.

Nerdnot

[432]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 14
    TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

I think everyone is saying Amon hates benders because that is the vibe he is giving off, now if he does we don't know. People are not giving the Bumi theory any credit because why would Bumi have any reason to hold anything against anyone. People are saying that if he was sad or mad that he was the only none bender in his family all he needed to do was go talk to his uncle Sokka and find out that you didn't need to be a bender to be worth something in the world. So unless General Iroh stole Bumi's girlfriend when they were young, or being in the army when Bumi couldn't, I don't see Bumi having any kind of vendetta with him. Amon being Bumi is just so out in left field that it can't be true for people. But now having said that this is Avatar and anything can happen.

I am completely baffled by this line of thinking. Let's break down what we know about Bumi:

3. Katara said he and his sister Kya were "crazy" as children so he was raised by his mother for at least part of his life.

Another fact Bumi lived within 5 miles of his uncle who was a non-bender

Kwando7

[433]Jun 18, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:
    TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

How can you possible know that

Nerdnot

[434]Jun 18, 2012
    Kwando7 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:
    TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

Sokka was in the Council and Bumi lived on Air Temple island.

UnovaChampion

[435]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 19
    I'm the only one who has proposed a plausible theory so far.

TheDancingRat

[436]Jun 18, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:
    TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

Sokka was in the Council and Bumi lived on Air Temple island.
    Sokka led the council so it is reasonable to assume he lived in or around the city. But how do you know Bumi lived on Air Temple Island? Aang was the Avatar and probably travelled a lot since it was his duty to protect the entire world, and Katara doesn't live there now so who knows when she left or if she ever lived there at all. Maybe they raised their kids in the Southern Water Tribe and Tenzin moved to Republic City in his 20s. Even if they were raised there, who's to say if Bumi's still there or when he left. When he was 10? 20? 40? He's older than Tenzin so he's at least in his 40s

1IamAmon

[438]Jun 18, 2012
    I have a new theory I'd like to propose. I think Amon is related to Zuko's mother. In last seasons episode "The Avatar and the FireLord", it was revealed that Zuko is the great grandson of both FireLord Sozin (paternally) and Avatar Roku (maternally). Zuko's mother is a descendant of an Avatar... Avatar Roku. In the first episode of Korra, Katara answers Jinora's question "What happened to Zuko's mom?" as "well, it's a very interesting story..." then is cut off by Iggi. Perhaps THIS is the story (eg the story of Korra)? Plus all the theories about Amon's power only being possible if he was related to an Avatar are fulfilled by the relation to Avatar Roku via Zuko's mom. Zuko's mom certainly has a motive to dislike benders, or the act of bending, as it destroyed her life and her family. She was never revealed herself to have bending powers in A:TLA. Just food for thought, as the Bumi theory employs the same basis of evidence, but seems to be full of speculation about a character we know absolutely NOTHING about and the creators don't seem to be focusing on at all. At least the Zuko mom theory ties everything together.

Mosk915

[439]Jun 18, 2012

1IamAmon wrote:
    I have a new theory I'd like to propose. I think Amon is related to Zuko's mother. In last seasons episode "The Avatar and the FireLord", it was revealed that Zuko is the great grandson of both FireLord Sozin (paternally) and Avatar Roku (maternally). Zuko's mother is a descendant of an Avatar... Avatar Roku. In the first episode of Korra, Katara answers Jinora's question "What happened to Zuko's mom?" as "well, it's a very interesting story..." then is cut off by Iggi. Perhaps THIS is the story (eg the story of Korra)? Plus all the theories about Amon's power only being possible if he was related to an Avatar are fulfilled by the relation to Avatar Roku via Zuko's mom. Zuko's mom certainly has a motive to dislike benders, or the act of bending, as it destroyed her life and her family. She was never revealed herself to have bending powers in A:TLA. Just food for thought, as the Bumi theory employs the same basis of evidence, but seems to be full of speculation about a character we know absolutely NOTHING about and the creators don't seem to be focusing on at all. At least the Zuko mom theory ties everything together.

It's an interesting theory. It's possible but I don't think it's likely because if this were the case, we would also find out the fate of Zuko's mother at the same time we find out Amon is related to her. The creators said that we eventually will find out what happened to her but not neccesarily in the show. To me, this implies that we will find out in The Promise, the third part of which will be released in September. For this reason, I think that Amon is probably not related to Zuko's mother.

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2011/03/08/the-last-airbender-legend-of-korra-the-creators-speak/?KEY

vejlebolden2

[440]Jun 18, 2012
    What if Amon is a firebender who is capable of using lightning. Therefore when Tarlok tried to blood bend Amon, he basically directed lightning through his body to move and then using lighting to remove bending?

Nerdnot

[441]Jun 18, 2012

New Best theory.Amon really blocks charka. His other hand goes to the base of the spine which is the Earth one. It's blocked by Fear, and deals with survival. WOOT WE HAVE FIGURED IT OUT( most likely!)

Edited on 06/18/2012 2:32pm

RaizenYusuke

[442]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 28
    It sounds good. We needed some more details for it though. It is not uncommon for all the chakra to be blocked. Aang had all his chakra blocked and could still bend and go into the Avatar State fore he started training to unblock them. Amon could be doing something else to the chakra points or he is blocking them with something else.

Kwando7

[443]Jun 18, 2012

I've been saying Amon is a chi blocker from day 1, but remember how Aangs chi got blocked so he was unable to enter the avatar state until Ozai blasted him into a rock. Maybe Lin just needs to get hit really hard on the neck....

Nerdnot

[444]Jun 18, 2012
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    It sounds good. We needed some more details for it though. It is not uncommon for all the chakra to be blocked. Aang had all his chakra blocked and could still bend and go into the Avatar State fore he started training to unblock them. Amon could be doing something else to the chakra points or he is blocking them with something else.
    Well Aang was the avatar, I think it might different for him.