We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

Kwando7

[385]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 18

KiraMills wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    Combustion Man had metal parts, but completely synthetic like his entire body seems too much at this stage. My vote is blood bender right now just because promos make it look like he is blood bending Korra and Mako and his resistance to it. But I won't complain if there is something else going on provided it is explained well enough. If it is a new bending style that manipulates chi I would like it.

I like the idea of chi bending then Amon being a energybender. Although they are suppose to be the same thing the title sounds better

one of my concerns is that if Amon is a bloodbender they wouldn't reveal it in a promo

Did Combustion Man ever use those parts? I can't remember

Did anyone else notice that Amon 1. Knew Korra was downstairs without ever looking. 2. Knew that she was locked up in a box and 3. knew the box was made of metal? I mean I can understand he followed Tarlock but if he followed him the first time he brought Korra there why didn't he just take her why Tarlock was gone? and if he never went downstairs how did he know what Tarlock was even holding Korra captive with. Is he psychic too?

considering how small the house was.Amon probably had people watching Tarlokk since he had put the non-bender laws up and probably saw the box when he was putting Tarlokk into an arm bind. if not he probably guessed the box was metal since that's pretty much the only thing you can use to subdue most benders. MaybeAmon was busy with his future plan?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

pichu121

[386]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 3
    well crap....so much for my whole "tarrlok is amon" theory......back to the drawing board...again *throws away charts and graphs*........and shouldn't only fully realized avatars be able to energybend!?

DiamondLights

[387]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 8
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

You raise a good point. The promos showed scenes that appear to have Amon bloodbending, which is a big reveal. It could be as you said something Nick showed to throw us off track. Personally I would have no problem if Amon was a energy bender. Energy bending predates the Avatar how can only the Avatar learn it? But I highly doubt Amon knows energy bending now. I guess chi bending could be possible. Maybe instead of taking away bending permanently it can be undone by another chi bender or something? IDK. I have to wait for the finale to see what is going to happen.

Personally, I could see Amon being revealed as some sort of chi-bending master or just something that involves his mastery at manipulating chi. I agree that Amon doesn't know energy-bending. When watching Aang do it, besides having one hand on the person's head, he also had one hand on the other person's chest which is something Amon doesn't do. If bending comes from chi, wouldn't it be essential to have one hand placed where most of the chi flows? Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am, its been awhile), but didn't Iroh point to his chest area and talk about his chi being there when he was teaching Zuko how to direct lightning? In the end, I think Amon is a new character but I still feel like he has some sort of tie to the old series

Nerdnot

[388]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 14
    DiamondLights wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:

You raise a good point. The promos showed scenes that appear to have Amon bloodbending, which is a big reveal. It could be as you said something Nick showed to throw us off track. Personally I would have no problem if Amon was a energy bender. Energy bending predates the Avatar how can only the Avatar learn it? But I highly doubt Amon knows energy bending now. I guess chi bending could be possible. Maybe instead of taking away bending permanently it can be undone by another chi bender or something? IDK. I have to wait for the finale to see what is going to happen.

Personally, I could see Amon being revealed as some sort of chi-bending master or just something that involves his mastery at manipulating chi. I agree that Amon doesn't know energy-bending. When watching Aang do it, besides having one hand on the person's head, he also had one hand on the other person's chest which is something Amon doesn't do. If bending comes from chi, wouldn't it be essential to have one hand placed where most of the chi flows? Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am, its been awhile), but didn't Iroh point to his chest area and talk about his chi being there when he was teaching Zuko how to direct lightning? In the end, I think Amon is a new character but I still feel like he has some sort of tie to the old series
    Woot more evidence to the Chi blocking theory! I wonder if an non bender could just resist bloodbending like Katara did? I agree with the Amon theory, New but somewhat related.

RaizenYusuke

[389]Jun 14, 2012
    • level: 28
    In my head is there is such a thing as chi bending than a user could use it to weaken the effects of bending used on them by controlling their own chi. Maybe Amon can release his chi in large burst to disrupt the effects of blood bending or something. It sounds to anime though.

TheDancingRat

[390]Jun 15, 2012
    • level: 2

For those of you who are like me and don't like to read long posts, I'm about to post a book. I'm first posting these bullet points so everyone can get my gist and you can read deeper into my reasoning if you so choose.

1) No one's talking about Amon's goals

2) Amon is lying about wanting equality

3) Amon's ultimate goal is probably power

4) Why Amon would want a war between benders and non-benders

5) If Amon is a bloodbender, his goal may be to kill Korra

6) I think Amon is waiting to kill Korra until she learns to access the Avatar State so he can end the Avatar cycle forever

Edited on 06/14/2012 11:19pm
    Edited 2 total times.

TheDancingRat

[392]Jun 15, 2012

The one thing no one seems to be discussing is Amon's motives. This seems to be a key factor to me in determining who he is and why he operates the way he does.

One thing that is certain is that Amon is lying. There is no way what he wants "equality." He claims the "bending elite" control the city... this is pretty much true: at least 2 of the 5 current councilmembers are benders (Tenzin and Tarrlok), the police force is made up entirely of metalbenders, and Tarrlok's task force were all waterbenders. They control all the laws and justice in the city. On the flip side, all the gangs that we've seen have been made up of benders. Non-benders seem to just get bullied and subjugated. That said, Amon's claims are fairly accurate. He may take a violent approach toward action but if he's being truthful he is more of a revolutionary than a terrorist. Considering this show is airing on a children's network I doubt the creators are going to design the primary villain to operate in such a grey area.

So if not equality, what is Amon's endgame? My guess is power-it's the same thing practically every (human) villain in this fantasy world has wanted: Sozin, Ozai, Azula, Long Feng, Yakone, Tarrlok... even Chin the Conqueror. Every one of them was completely focused on gaining or maintaining power. It's not a huge stretch to theorize this is Amon's goal as well.

If that IS his motive, the next logical question is: How does starting a war against benders help Amon achieve power? The simplest conclusion is he sees the benders as his biggest threat. If he can get the non-benders to rally against the benders, and teach them how to fight benders, he'll have a divided people he can manipulate against each other. If Amon believes his ability to take away bending is permanent he may have some plan to strip all benders of their power, giving him and his forces a severe advantage.

Another strong possibility requires Amon to be a bloodbender. With this power, Amon could potentially have supreme control over everyone except other bloodbenders. The one major threat would be the only person who has ever demonstrated the ability to strip him of his powers forever--the Avatar. What if his plan has been to remove the Avatar from the equation before she achieves her full potential and has the ability to stop him? If he does have the ability to cripple people of their bending permanently (or at least believes he does) he may intend to simply strip the Avatar of her power. If not, he knows he must kill her.

My final question: Why didn't he just kill her when he got the chance? There is the reason he gave her before: he was afraid of her becoming a martyr, which could rally the benders and non-benders against him. Even bloodbenders have to sleep, and not everyone is as hesitant to kill as Aang was. The other option is that he knows killing the Avatar will just reincarnate her into her next life and he'd have to begin the chase again. If Amon knows that killing an Avatar while in the Avatar state will end the cycle (something Koh would have gladly shared with him), his plan may be to end the Avatar permanently. He had to let Korra go because she hadn't yet learned to access the Avatar state. Once she does, his plan would then be to lure her into the Avatar State and end the threat once and for all. After that he could end his deception and take control of Republic City and then the world.

Edited on 06/14/2012 11:22pm

Kwando7

[393]Jun 15, 2012
    • level: 18

TheDancingRat wrote:

The one thing no one seems to be discussing is Amon's motives. This seems to be a key factor to me in determining who he is and why he operates the way he does.

One thing that is certain is that Amon is lying. There is no way what he wants "equality." He claims the "bending elite" control the city... this is pretty much true: at least 2 of the 5 current councilmembers are benders (Tenzin and Tarrlok), the police force is made up entirely of metalbenders, and Tarrlok's task force were all waterbenders. They control all the laws and justice in the city. On the flip side, all the gangs that we've seen have been made up of benders. Non-benders seem to just get bullied and subjugated. That said, Amon's claims are fairly accurate. He may take a violent approach toward action but if he's being truthful he is more of a revolutionary than a terrorist. Considering this show is airing on a children's network I doubt the creators are going to design the primary villain to operate in such a grey area.

So if not equality, what is Amon's endgame? My guess is power-it's the same thing practically every (human) villain in this fantasy world has wanted: Sozin, Ozai, Azula, Long Feng, Yakone, Tarrlok... even Chin the Conqueror. Every one of them was completely focused on gaining or maintaining power. It's not a huge stretch to theorize this is Amon's goal as well.

If that IS his motive, the next logical question is: How does starting a war against benders help Amon achieve power? The simplest conclusion is he sees the benders as his biggest threat. If he can get the non-benders to rally against the benders, and teach them how to fight benders, he'll have a divided people he can manipulate against each other. If Amon believes his ability to take away bending is permanent he may have some plan to strip all benders of their power, giving him and his forces a severe advantage.

Another strong possibility requires Amon to be a bloodbender. With this power, Amon could potentially have supreme control over everyone except other bloodbenders. The one major threat would be the only person who has ever demonstrated the ability to strip him of his powers forever--the Avatar. What if his plan has been to remove the Avatar from the equation before she achieves her full potential and has the ability to stop him? If he does have the ability to cripple people of their bending permanently (or at least believes he does) he may intend to simply strip the Avatar of her power. If not, he knows he must kill her.

My final question: Why didn't he just kill her when he got the chance? There is the reason he gave her before: he was afraid of her becoming a martyr, which could rally the benders and non-benders against him. Even bloodbenders have to sleep, and not everyone is as hesitant to kill as Aang was. The other option is that he knows killing the Avatar will just reincarnate her into her next life and he'd have to begin the chase again. If Amon knows that killing an Avatar while in the Avatar state will end the cycle (something Koh would have gladly shared with him), his plan may be to end the Avatar permanently. He had to let Korra go because she hadn't yet learned to access the Avatar state. Once she does, his plan would then be to lure her into the Avatar State and end the threat once and for all. After that he could end his deception and take control of Republic City and then the world.

Very nice except I have a few notes. While I agree Amonmay not entirelywant equality because once the non-benders take overthey will obviously have someone to like a political figure. One thing you have over looked is Amon's method of removing threats he debends them I doubt that is really a threat to a benders health and to back up my theory we have never seen Amon throw a punch, he is always dodging and putting his opponents in a submissive position. True he has the robots but they are being controlled by his army you can't blame a leader for their followers actionsbut I guess thats a weak arguement.

Long Feng Yakone and Tarlokk wanted control both already had the power and as they stated they wanted to rule Republicant city and Long Feng seemed rather happy being able to control things from the shadows while the earthking was in "power".

Minor note, Tarlokk had earth and water benders in his task force.

Everything else I agree with and alot of it makes sense. It also gives new meaning to what Amon meant when he said he would destroyKorra as in destroy the avatar. Ofcourse I how to nitpick Amon being a bloodbender but that is irrelevent in your theory as it is the same if Amon were an energybender or a firebender or a cyborg (although while a cyborg doesn't need to sleep unless he was made by Dr Gero he will wear down eventually).

TheDancingRat

[394]Jun 16, 2012
    I said they were either trying to achieve power or maintain power, and by power I pretty much meant control. (I'd actually originally typed power and control but my post was so freaking long I decided it was unnecessary). Long Feng truly held the power in Ba Sing Se, he was merely content to allow the Earth King the notoriety of the illusion of power. Ozai wanted both the power and the fame of being in absolute control because he was a crazy megalomaniac. Azula's goal was arguably actually to be loved, and she tried to accomplish that by controlling everyone through fear, but somehow I don't see that being Amon's goal.

I went back and rewatched voice in the night and there definitely were earthbenders on Tarrlok's task force. I missed that

TheDancingRat

[395]Jun 16, 2012
    Grey eyes, evasive fighting style, and tornadoing his way through the fog in Out of the Past... I know everyone's tired of the Bumi theory but is there anyone else out there who thinks there's enough evidence to consider that Amon is an airbender?

A surviving sect of airbender children probably wouldn't have been raised by monks and have their pacifist views, but they definitely would have a grudge against firebenders that maybe boiled over toward all other benders. They may not even have mastered airbending and have had to rely on mastering chi-blocking to take their revenge... just another theory

shadowscott

[396]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 23
    TheDancingRat wrote:
    Grey eyes, evasive fighting style, and tornadoing his way through the fog in Out of the Past... I know everyone's tired of the Bumi theory but is there anyone else out there who thinks there's enough evidence to consider that Amon is an airbender?

A surviving sect of airbender children probably wouldn't have been raised by monks and have their pacifist views, but they definitely would have a grudge against firebenders that maybe boiled over toward all other benders. They may not even have mastered airbending and have had to rely on mastering chi-blocking to take their revenge... just another theory

Although, in the most recent episode Lin says to Tenzin that "his family is the only surviving airbenders", kinda indicating that maybe Kya and Bumi are not benders? Or at least not airbenders. You cannot forget that Katara was a waterbender. Kya is probably a waterbender and maybe Bumi cannot bend?

shadowscott

[397]Jun 16, 2012

pichu121 wrote:
    well crap....so much for my whole "tarrlok is amon" theory......back to the drawing board...again *throws away charts and graphs*........and shouldn't only fully realized avatars be able to energybend!?

I was just about to come and post the same thing actually. I noticed this after rewatching the episode and I wondered how in the world he knew where korra was, let alone inside a metal box. Curious....

TheDancingRat

[398]Jun 16, 2012
    shadowscott wrote:
    TheDancingRat wrote:

Although, in the most recent episode Lin says to Tenzin that "his family is the only surviving airbenders", kinda indicating that maybe Kya and Bumi are not benders? Or at least not airbenders. You cannot forget that Katara was a waterbender. Kya is probably a waterbender and maybe Bumi cannot bend?

Just like it was said it was impossible to remove someone's bending before Aang did it and it was impossible to metalbend until Toph did it and it was impossible to bloodbend without a full moon until Yakone did it... Everyone believed the airbenders were extinct until Aang showed up. A surviving sect of airbenders would have had to hide from the Fire Nation and to be safe the rest of the world. If they stayed in hiding even after the war ended then no one would know of their existance, including Lin Beifong. So when she says Tenzin's family is the only surviving airbenders, really all she's saying is that Tenzin's family is the only surviving airbenders she's ever heard of.

It is confirmed that Kya is a waterbender and Bumi is a non-bender, although I'm still holding out hope that Bumi was BORN a non-bender and figured out a way to bend. Not the weirdest thing that's happened on this show

(http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Kya_waterbender
    http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Bumi_non-bender)

vejlebolden2

[399]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 1

What if Amon is a master blood bender and know how to control other's people bending by forcing them to bend without they notice and block there's bending by blood bending then they think they can't bend anymore.

Ps i think still Amon is Katara

Edited on 06/16/2012 11:23am

UnovaChampion

[400]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 19
    Bumi is a nonbender, plain and simple.

Onto vejlebolden.....who in their right mind would think that?

shadowscott

[401]Jun 16, 2012
    TheDancingRat wrote:

Just like it was said it was impossible to remove someone's bending before Aang did it and it was impossible to metalbend until Toph did it and it was impossible to bloodbend without a full moon until Yakone did it... Everyone believed the airbenders were extinct until Aang showed up. A surviving sect of airbenders would have had to hide from the Fire Nation and to be safe the rest of the world. If they stayed in hiding even after the war ended then no one would know of their existance, including Lin Beifong. So when she says Tenzin's family is the only surviving airbenders, really all she's saying is that Tenzin's family is the only surviving airbenders she's ever heard of.

I guess it IS possible, but I hardly believe it. I mean, none of the rules were ever set out saying that you could only bloodbend during a full moon, that's just when Hama possessed that power. Also, they never came out and said it wasn't possible for metalbending to never exist, if anything they alluded to it from time to time. But the show is and has been called The Last Airbender. I feel like to have a twist where there is another family of airbenders is kind of out there.

Mantis82

[402]Jun 16, 2012

Amon mentioned the Spirits have chosen him. New or connected character, I think koh the face stealer taught him energy bending or amon is koh. And he wants to sever the ties between the human world and spiritual world by getting rid of bending and the avatar. When tarlok asked Amon what is he? he simply stated the solution, being the possibility he is not human. Also think it will lead into second season which I think will be named Spirit, which is the last thing korra will need to learn to be a fully mature avatar.

Even in ATLA, majority of the time the spiritual world wouldn't be involved in the plot but the most important moments in the series and biggest revelations always involved the spiritual side, whether it be aang speaking to past lives or advice from a spiritual guru or a giant lion turtle

_Amibrosia

[403]Jun 16, 2012
    • level: 5
    Mantis82 wrote:

Amon mentioned the Spirits have chosen him. New or connected character, I think koh the face stealer taught him energy bending or amon is koh. And he wants to sever the ties between the human world and spiritual world by getting rid of bending and the avatar. When tarlok asked Amon what is he? he simply stated the solution, being the possibility he is not human. Also think it will lead into second season which I think will be named Spirit, which is the last thing korra will need to learn to be a fully mature avatar.

Even in ATLA, majority of the time the spiritual world wouldn't be involved in the plot but the most important moments in the series and biggest revelations always involved the spiritual side, whether it be aang speaking to past lives or advice from a spiritual guru or a giant lion turtle

Thats what I said about Koh being related to AMON, thanks another follower. Maybe another theory is that Yakune can learn bending from others, then he learnt it while Aang was doing the energybend ( maybe ) O.o

Mantis82

[404]Jun 16, 2012

Yeah thought about that theory too. The only bad thing is that the show has not touched on the spiritual side enough. Only the flashbacks, would've been good if she actually spoke to aang the same way aang spoke to roku. For people who didn't watch the original series, which is very few, it would be weird for spirits to just show up.