We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

IllEagle

[345]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 8

I'm not gonna read 18 pages, no time. But If anyone hasn't thought of it yet, I'm putting my money on Asami being Amon.She has motive, training, resources, and is the classic "one you least suspect" character.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

grandpsykick

[346]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 3

Wow, you guys come up with some pretty wild theories. As writers, think about how they can preserve continuity. The vision Aang gave Korra must be related to thesituationsin which the visions were given (continuity). Thus, Amon must be related to the events surrounding Tarrlock's father (continuity). Korra stated (Tarrlock's who you've been trying to warn me about as misdirection). The writers also want to try to keep this series as independent of the original series as possible (as stated by them at convention), thus, it makes it very unlikely for Amon to be related in any way to any characters from the past series (other than Aang as it relates to the missing 70 years). I watched the promo where some may have seen Amon bloodbend, and its unlikely. All you see is him doing a funny hand movements (shaking fist), hardly something to write home about. Personally, I have faith in the Amon being Tarrlock's father theory, it is the most likely I've heard and the least boring. The other theories that make him related to characters from The Last Airbender would just disappoint me because then this is not its own series but another season of the last one. As for Amon having any relation to Katara, the greatest water bending master in that universe and the widow of the last Avatar, that is insane. Avatar Aang would take that personally and would work actively to affect the physical world to fix it instead of passing it off to the current Avatar. In short, I give you this:

1) Korra's visions must suggest a connection of the events surrounding Tarrlock's father and Amon.

2) Amon should not be related to any past serial character, the writers actively said this would not happen.

3) Very unlikely Amon bloodbent, fancy hand shaking does not make bending.

4) AMON IS NOT RELATED TO KATARA, Aang would not have it

As another wild theory, has anyone noticed the connection between Amon and Zuko-looking dude, they both said, "my father was taken away because of benders..."

Kwando7

[347]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 18

valoriz wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

Well thats true but the theory behind the chi blocking explains why they can't bend where as the blood bending is iffy. Now that I think about it wouldn't there be side effects to having your blood bent which would kill you.

"In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves. To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted and destroyed." Why does the avatar have to be special to energybend? It is simply a spirit that is unbend able themselves. Perhaps that's what is coming the finale, we will learn Korra has a pure spirit and cannot be energy bended, Amon could have learned it from a member of the spirit world. We already know that not all Spirit were good to mortals.

whats this got to do with what I said? bloodbending is different to energybending

Have the artists really said Amon isn't related to any of the original characters?

grandpsykick

[348]Jun 11, 2012

Yes actually, the artist want to stay away from big references to the past series, not to say they will not do it anyway...

elementavatar14

[349]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 8

I really do not think Amon is a bender by any means. That defeats the purpose of him going against benders if he is one. It would undermine his whole operation.

However, I couldn't offer you a counter theory as to what or how he takes peoples bending away. I definitely don't think he is a bloodbender, since you have to be a waterbender in order to do that.

UnovaChampion

[350]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 19
    You'll all see he's a bloodbender in a few weeks. No point in trying to argue since you all deny the obvious.

And for the person who thinks Amon might be Asami, please get your freaking head checked.

Kwando7

[351]Jun 11, 2012

And when we're proven right are you going to do anything special

I agree Amon's voice is too deep to be female if Asami is on the board for being Amon you may as well include her mother

UnovaChampion

[352]Jun 11, 2012
    You won't be proven right, I guarantee it. On the off chance you are right I'll concede defeat to you Kwando.

valoriz

[353]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 1

A bloodbender Amon would immediately turn me off to the show. The writer are much better to use the same old tricks from the old series, let me show you why. Metalbending was rare in the last series, Fire nation prisons, were made of metal, and for the first season and half of the second season, when you saw someone trapped in metal it was common knowledge that they were stuck. When toph metal bends it is a pretty powerful scene cause she shows how much she has mastered her bending. Same with bloodbending or Lighting bending. They got emphasis on them because they are rare forms of bending.

In this series all those forms of bending are COMMON. You heard it last episode "bloodbending" is illegal, which means a lot of people could do it. Rarity is without a full moon. It would be extremely terrible writing if the main antagonist is winning by using a common bending to block chi and bending. I strongly believe Amon has a connect with the spirit world or is a spirit himself. Why? Cause one he knows things that only ancients would know(energy bending.) 2 he is superior against any bender he's come up against. Remember the Owl from Season 2? How Katara even though she is a master bender can't win against him because he is a Spirit and knows bending much better than her. The people who write Avatar series are great writers, they don't keep using the same stuff and put a new package on it. I don't think Amon is a spirit but I think when I hear a line in the second episode "The spirit world is angry with the Avatar" and he uses an ancient form of bending to back it up he isn't a liar. Lastly, he could be just the first antagonist of the series, there are more coming up. Remember Commander Zao was the Big man for Season 1 and then hey died, Season 2 Was Azula, and Season 3 was A combination of Her and Ozai. All we have right now is Amon and his goons. There's more to it then bloodbending or the writer are extremely lazy.

Nerdnot

[354]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 14
    Honestly when ever I see a long post my mind goes blah Amon blah blah something about chi blocking.

RaizenYusuke

[355]Jun 11, 2012
    • level: 28
    I think it is blood bending too, but I hoping for an entirely new concept.

pepijn

[356]Jun 11, 2012

valoriz wrote:

A bloodbender Amon would immediately turn me off to the show. The writer are much better to use the same old tricks from the old series, let me show you why. Metalbending was rare in the last series, Fire nation prisons, were made of metal, and for the first season and half of the second season, when you saw someone trapped in metal it was common knowledge that they were stuck. When toph metal bends it is a pretty powerful scene cause she shows how much she has mastered her bending. Same with bloodbending or Lighting bending. They got emphasis on them because they are rare forms of bending.

In this series all those forms of bending are COMMON. You heard it last episode "bloodbending" is illegal, which means a lot of people could do it. Rarity is without a full moon. It would be extremely terrible writing if the main antagonist is winning by using a common bending to block chi and bending. I strongly believe Amon has a connect with the spirit world or is a spirit himself. Why? Cause one he knows things that only ancients would know(energy bending.) 2 he is superior against any bender he's come up against. Remember the Owl from Season 2? How Katara even though she is a master bender can't win against him because he is a Spirit and knows bending much better than her. The people who write Avatar series are great writers, they don't keep using the same stuff and put a new package on it. I don't think Amon is a spirit but I think when I hear a line in the second episode "The spirit world is angry with the Avatar" and he uses an ancient form of bending to back it up he isn't a liar. Lastly, he could be just the first antagonist of the series, there are more coming up. Remember Commander Zao was the Big man for Season 1 and then hey died, Season 2 Was Azula, and Season 3 was A combination of Her and Ozai. All we have right now is Amon and his goons. There's more to it then bloodbending or the writer are extremely lazy.

I agree with you, I think having 3 bloodbenders in less then 10 epsiodes would be to boring for genius writers like those of the avatar. And i also think it has something to do with the spiritual world. Idk if he is a spirit himself or he find a way to the spirit world to learn there some tricks. An other reason why i think he is not a normal human is because his eyes are completely different from all the other characters (kinda lake that owl actually rofl). Anyways I dont erase the complete thought of amon being a bender but i have strong hopes that he is something more then that. More like a blessed bender from the spiritual world.

Owh one more thing. If he was a bloodbender, just think how lame the end batlle would be... if korra doesnt learn the avatar trance she would just be flying around evrywhere. But ok, guess I will see it on the next episode, awesome story so far and completely different then the legend of Aang.

( sry if my English isn't that great)

I think the filmmakers should waited and made a movie about this, because every episode hangs so good together while the legend of Aang were more small stories, that had mosly nothing to do with the next episode, which makes it diffecult to say which story is important and how you will fill in the time you erased.

Kwando7

[357]Jun 11, 2012

valoriz wrote:

Ozai used fire bendingwhich ispretty common and that wasn't bad writing. Chi blocking was also extremely rare only Ty-lee was shown to know it. it's possible Amon learnt from the spirits how to block the bending chi

Also Unova only congradulate me if electricity is involved otherwise I am wrong

valoriz

[358]Jun 12, 2012

Electricity is scene when Mako is working in the factory, There were dozens doing it. City life in Avatar is the same as it is in the real world, rare gifts become less rare when you have millions coming together.

UnovaChampion

[359]Jun 12, 2012
    That's the point I'm getting at noob. It's a 3 person bloodbending family, Yakone died and left 2 sons. Amon and Tarlokk. How the hell is it bad writing to use such a dangerous bending? Furthermore, it's still very rare, and it's not like Korra or any of Team Avatar defeated Tarlokk, Amon did it, our protagonists would still be faced with a challenge. Not to mention, Amon needs to relate to those flashbacks or else that'd be poor writing to waste so much time on that plot with Tarlokk. Remember, there is no filler this season.

Kwando7

[360]Jun 12, 2012

I think it's funny how people talk about bad writting as if they know howwriting isdone. Like if each of us is an officialwriter who only come up with the best ideas :S

I guess we'll see in a couple of weeks if Amon had anything to do with Tarlokk

[361]Jun 12, 2012

I'm not sure if this has exactly been said already, I know people are assuming that Amon is a bloodbender and that theory is starting sound a bit more plausible to me for two specific reasons:

1. It would explain how he could resist Tarrlok, unless he was a chi-blocking Superman

2. In the season finale trailer, there is the couple of seconds where it looks like Amon is about to take Korra's bending. If you carefully watch that scene, it appears as though Mako's hands are twitching uncontrollably and Korra's eyes look similar to the wide eyed expression she had when Tarrlok used the technique on her. It's quick so if you watch it, focus really hard on that scene

I know it's a bit far fetched but isn't that the pleasantry of making up theories? We shall find out soon indeed

linuslarrabee

[362]Jun 12, 2012

I am floating a theory out there simply because of misdirection and deduction.

Who do we know who can resist bloodbending, seal off a bender's abilities, and is familiar with the spirit realm?

Aang.

I don't know what could have happened between then and now to get him to this point, but it would be a delicious and rewarding twist to see that journey.

We know that there is never more than one Avatar, but what if something happend to make Aang not the Avatar?

Amon mentions the spirit world in one of his early speeches and I am still waiting for the writers to do something with the Koh the Face Stealer storyline from the first series.

I think it is a sign of great writing that it engages the imagination so powerfully throughout the day.

Just a thought I had, let me hear your thoughts.

Nerdnot

[363]Jun 12, 2012
    • level: 14
    linuslarrabee wrote:

I am floating a theory out there simply because of misdirection and deduction.

Who do we know who can resist bloodbending, seal off a bender's abilities, and is familiar with the spirit realm?

Aang.

I don't know what could have happened between then and now to get him to this point, but it would be a delicious and rewarding twist to see that journey.

We know that there is never more than one Avatar, but what if something happend to make Aang not the Avatar?

Amon mentions the spirit world in one of his early speeches and I am still waiting for the writers to do something with the Koh the Face Stealer storyline from the first series.

I think it is a sign of great writing that it engages the imagination so powerfully throughout the day.

Just a thought I had, let me hear your thoughts.

Its not Aang, that would be such bad writing

AtLA_LoK_4ever

[364]Jun 12, 2012

For those that think its bump and that he is a bloodbender and learned it from aang

BUMI IS THE KID AANG HAD THAT COULDN'T BEND!!!!!! SO HE CANT BE A BLOODBENDER!