We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

Nerdnot

[445]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 14
    Kwando7 wrote:

I've been saying Amon is a chi blocker from day 1, but remember how Aangs chi got blocked so he was unable to enter the avatar state until Ozai blasted him into a rock. Maybe Lin just needs to get hit really hard on the neck....

Okay so you get the credit! Good job! Im sure there is some other way to unblock it.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

King_Kyle209

[446]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 1
    I kinda have a feeling that Sokka and Suki had a son and he feels jealous and what not because he's not a bender so he somehow found a way to block chi's ...

Nerdnot

[447]Jun 18, 2012
    King_Kyle209 wrote:
    I kinda have a feeling that Sokka and Suki had a son and he feels jealous and what not because he's not a bender so he somehow found a way to block chi's ...
    Very unlikely because his dad would have taught him the way of the sword which is just as good as bending.

King_Kyle209

[448]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 1
    Nerdnot wrote:
    King_Kyle209 wrote:
    Very unlikely because his dad would have taught him the way of the sword which is just as good as bending.
    that's true...then i have no idea who it is , but i know i can't wait to find out... but do you think it will be someone we know or a complete stranger?

Nerdnot

[449]Jun 18, 2012
    King_Kyle209 wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    King_Kyle209 wrote:
    that's true...then i have no idea who it is , but i know i can't wait to find out... but do you think it will be someone we know or a complete stranger?
    Both

LadyJade2827

[450]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 2

Okay I have seen it said in many of the different posts. In Episode one Katara tells Korra that Tenzin's two siblings were a little crazier then Tenzin. People are using this fact (Bumi was "crazy") as a reason for why Amon might be Bumi. WHEN KATARA SAID THAT BUMI WAS CRAZY SHE DID NOT MEAN HIS MENTAL HEALTH. If you look at siblings some are more talkative then others and some are more responsible then others. Katara was asked if Tenzin was always so stuffy and calm by Korra. Her response was that Tenzin was the most calm of the three. And said that Bumi and the sister were a lot crazier then Tenzin. I think people are just reading something into the statement that is not there. Bumi was just more wild and free then Tenzin. My guess is that because Tenzin was the air bender it kept him calm, that only made him different from his siblings. Just because someone says you are crazy it doesn't mean you are going to try and take over a world. Most of my friends and everyone in my family say I am crazy, but I am a student and my mental health is just fine. PEOPLE PLEASE STOP USING THE STATEMENT THAT KATARA SAID BUMI WAS CRAZY AS A REASON ON WHY YOU THINK HE IS AMON. If you want to post a theory then you need to have something to back up what you think. The fact that Katara was giggling, almost laughing, while she said the comment about Bumi being crazy makes me believe that he was just a little to over the top in comparison to Tenzin. BUMI'S MENTAL HEALTH IS FINE, STOP TRYING TO USE IT AGAINST HIM!

Edited on 06/18/2012 4:38pm

RaizenYusuke

[451]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 28
    I think the Bumi theory is revolved around Amon's evasion style of fighting and how light on his feet he is like air bender and that he is not a bender more than his mental health.

TheDancingRat

[452]Jun 18, 2012

LadyJade2827 wrote:

Okay I have seen it said in many of the different posts. In Episode one Katara tells Korra that Tenzin's two siblings were a little crazier then Tenzin. People are using this fact (Bumi was "crazy") as a reason for why Amon might be Bumi. WHEN KATARA SAID THAT BUMI WAS CRAZY SHE DID NOT MEAN HIS MENTAL HEALTH. If you look at siblings some are more talkative then others and some are more responsible then others. Katara was asked if Tenzin was always so stuffy and calm by Korra. Her response was that Tenzin was the most calm of the three. And said that Bumi and the sister were a lot crazier then Tenzin. I think people are just reading something into the statement that is not there. Bumi was just more wild and free then Tenzin. My guess is that because Tenzin was the air bender it kept him calm, that only made him different from his siblings. Just because someone says you are crazy it doesn't mean you are going to try and take over a world. Most of my friends and everyone in my family say I am crazy, but I am a student and my mental health is just fine. PEOPLE PLEASE STOP USING THE STATEMENT THAT KATARA SAID BUMI WAS CRAZY AS A REASON ON WHY YOU THINK HE IS AMON. If you want to post a theory then you need to have something to back up what you think. The fact that Katara was giggling, almost laughing, while she said the comment about Bumi being crazy makes me believe that he was just a little to over the top in comparison to Tenzin. BUMI'S MENTAL HEALTH IS FINE, STOP TRYING TO USE IT AGAINST HIM!

If you're referring to the bullet points I made about what we know about Bumi, I said Katara said Bumi and Kya were "crazy" as children to point out that Katara was around for at least some of Bumi's childhood. I never explicitly stated that his "craziness" was grounds to consider him a threat to society and I apologize if I somehow inferred that. In fact, the only reason I used the word "crazy" (my initial draft read "rambunctious") is because I re-watched the episode and that's the word Pema used.

My Bumi argument relies on these main points:

1. I personally believe the person hiding behind the mask is going to have significance toward the main characters. Bumi is one of several proposed characters that fit that criteria. Again, this isn't a fact, I just feel there is a strong chance of this.

2. I believe Amon airbent (airbended?) in the episode Out of the Past. As he jumps through the fog when he's chasing Korra he is surrounded by a tornado-esque swirl of wind. As an artist myself, I acknowledge that this could simply be an artistic depiction of action designed to draw the eye in toward the villain, or that a waterbender could have parted the fog just as easily, but I think it looked too deliberate to not be bending.

3. Bumi is one of the few characters who legitimately has potential for airbending. I know he was "born an non-bender" but this could be explained away by some sort of spiritual awakening where a spirit unlocked his bending. He is still the son of an airbender and at least before he was born he held the potential. This is not a fact, but it is a plausible outcome.

4. The main competition directly countering the Bumi theory is Tarrlok's brother or a descendant of Zuko's family. Out of these three, Bumi is the only character we are 100% sure exists. The other main schools include Yakone (who I've already clearly stated my beliefs why I don't think it's him), or Koh/evil spirit. We know Koh exists and has a grudge against the Avatar. I think that theory has potential, but that's another debate.

5. Bumi is the only character I can think of who has both been confirmed to exist and would hold great significance to the main characters. All sides would feel betrayed by his revelation.

6. I do not believe Aang's vision to Korra was meant to solely warn about Tarrlok. I admit that the Yakone or Tarrlok's brother theories would also be supported by this thought, but the Bumi theory offers another added meaning to the vision. It is also the most cryptic explanation of the three which makes it feel more like spiritual wisdom to me, rather than Aang just handing Korra the information "Yakone is Amon!"

7. Amon has grey eyes. I personally have never seen a character with grey eyes who wasn't of Air Nomad lineage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Amon is incredibly agile--almost superhumanly so. Characters such as Suki and Ty Lee were also very agile, as are most chi-blockers, however Amon actually dodged lightning... I think this is an above average skill that an airbender might possess.

9. When Amon squares off against a bender he uses sidesteps and very circular movement to evade their attacks and often ends up behind his opponent with one hand on his opponent's back. While this could easily be explained as a necessary skill for a chi-blocker, it also very similar to Ba Gua, the style of Kung Fu that airbending is based on.

10. As the son of the only person in modern history who's ever been known to take a person's bending away (besides Amon), Bumi has potential as the inheritor of his father's energybending skills. Even I think this is a weak argument, but since elemental bending is passed from parent to child there is a possibility Aang genetically passed his energybending skills on to Bumi.

There are huge holes in this theory--mainly that we know so little about Bumi's history and his character as a whole. Until that mask comes off or other definitive evidence states otherwise I will never say "BUMI IS AMON!" or "BUMI IS NOT AMON!" There's simply no way to tell.

AllieAllie

[453]Jun 18, 2012
    • level: 22

I thought Amon had black eyes? .-.

Mosk915

[454]Jun 18, 2012

TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

If you're referring to the bullet points I made about what we know about Bumi, I said Katara said Bumi and Kya were "crazy" as children to point out that Katara was around for at least some of Bumi's childhood. I never explicitly stated that his "craziness" was grounds to consider him a threat to society and I apologize if I somehow inferred that. In fact, the only reason I used the word "crazy" (my initial draft read "rambunctious") is because I re-watched the episode and that's the word Pema used.

1. I personally believe the person hiding behind the mask is going to have significance toward the main characters. Bumi is one of several proposed characters that fit that criteria. Again, this isn't a fact, I just feel there is a strong chance of this.

2. I believe Amon airbent (airbended?) in the episode Out of the Past. As he jumps through the fog when he's chasing Korra he is surrounded by a tornado-esque swirl of wind. As an artist myself, I acknowledge that this could simply be an artistic depiction of action designed to draw the eye in toward the villain, or that a waterbender could have parted the fog just as easily, but I think it looked too deliberate to not be bending.

3. Bumi is one of the few characters who legitimately has potential for airbending. I know he was "born an non-bender" but this could be explained away by some sort of spiritual awakening where a spirit unlocked his bending. He is still the son of an airbender and at least before he was born he held the potential. This is not a fact, but it is a plausible outcome.

4. The main competition directly countering the Bumi theory is Tarrlok's brother or a descendant of Zuko's family. Out of these three, Bumi is the only character we are 100% sure exists. The other main schools include Yakone (who I've already clearly stated my beliefs why I don't think it's him), or Koh/evil spirit. We know Koh exists and has a grudge against the Avatar. I think that theory has potential, but that's another debate.

5. Bumi is the only character I can think of who has both been confirmed to exist and would hold great significance to the main characters. All sides would feel betrayed by his revelation.

6. I do not believe Aang's vision to Korra was meant to solely warn about Tarrlok. I admit that the Yakone or Tarrlok's brother theories would also be supported by this thought, but the Bumi theory offers another added meaning to the vision. It is also the most cryptic explanation of the three which makes it feel more like spiritual wisdom to me, rather than Aang just handing Korra the information "Yakone is Amon!"

7. Amon has grey eyes. I personally have never seen a character with grey eyes who wasn't of Air Nomad lineage. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

8. Amon is incredibly agile--almost superhumanly so. Characters such as Suki and Ty Lee were also very agile, as are most chi-blockers, however Amon actually dodged lightning... I think this is an above average skill that an airbender might possess.

9. When Amon squares off against a bender he uses sidesteps and very circular movement to evade their attacks and often ends up behind his opponent with one hand on his opponent's back. While this could easily be explained as a necessary skill for a chi-blocker, it also very similar to Ba Gua, the style of Kung Fu that airbending is based on.

10. As the son of the only person in modern history who's ever been known to take a person's bending away (besides Amon), Bumi has potential as the inheritor of his father's energybending skills. Even I think this is a weak argument, but since elemental bending is passed from parent to child there is a possibility Aang genetically passed his energybending skills on to Bumi.

There are huge holes in this theory--mainly that we know so little about Bumi's history and his character as a whole. Until that mask comes off or other definitive evidence states otherwise I will never say "BUMI IS AMON!" or "BUMI IS NOT AMON!" There's simply no way to tell.

Bending is not nessecarily passed from parent to child. Katara is the best example of this since neither of her parents were benders. I'm not saying it's not possible that Bumi can bend enery but I don't think it is just because he is the son of the previous avatar. It doesn't seem unreasonable that Amon would be able to bend energy even if he wasn't the son of the avatar.

Kwando7

[455]Jun 19, 2012
    • level: 18

Mosk915 wrote:

TheDancingRat wrote:

LadyJade2827 wrote:

Bending is not nessecarily passed from parent to child. Katara is the best example of this since neither of her parents were benders. I'm not saying it's not possible that Bumi can bend enery but I don't think it is just because he is the son of the previous avatar. It doesn't seem unreasonable that Amon would be able to bend energy even if he wasn't the son of the avatar.

I thinkToph's parents werenon-benders too weren't they?

Edited on 06/19/2012 1:04am

Maccsa

[456]Jun 19, 2012
    • level: 10

About Sokka's son being Amon: Sokka is dead, so he may have died when his son was very young, before he taught him anything. Amon said his family died by the hands of a fire bender (i'm assuming all he said was true), so Sokka could have been trying to protect his family against an evil fire bender but ended up dead... the only problem with this theory is that if so, Tenzin would know (Sokka is his uncle after all) and when Amon told the story, he would have connected the dots.

I don't think is Bumi because Katara and Tenzin are alive, and Aang died of natural causes (again, i'm assuming Amon was telling the truth, 'cause there is no reason for the writers to give us that kind of false info).

I still think is someone conected to the first series, though.
    I have a feeling there is something to do with the Harmony Restoration Movement

Edited on 06/19/2012 9:52am
    Edited 2 total times.

TheDancingRat

[457]Jun 19, 2012

Kwando7 wrote:

Mosk915 wrote:

TheDancingRat wrote:

I thinkToph's parents werenon-benders too weren't they?

My point about genetics wasn't necessarily that benders pass bending on to their children, but rather that the form of elemental bending always seems to follow the culture the child was born into. Water Tribe people don't have airbending children, they have waterbenders or non-benders. The creators specifically told us that Mako and Bolin's mother was an earthbender and their father was a firebender and that's how they wound up with two different types of bending children. Likewise with Aang and Katara onto Kya and Tenzin.

RaizenYusuke

[458]Jun 19, 2012

I never understood how bending works. So animals and spirits taught humans how to bend or humans watched them bend and copied them. Those people who watched them had the potential or chi to bend those specific elements and nothing more? If the first two earth benders had met mimicked a dragon instead of the badger moles (I think) would they have failed at bending and never learned fire bending because their chi was primed for earth bending and not fire bending? Or were humans capable of learning any of the 4 elements, but after hundreds possibly thousands of years of bending a certain style that all their descendants could only been that element? Did humans get certain chi from the spirits that allowed them to bend elements?

How much does genetics play a part or if any in bending? Is it all spiritual or what? The Avatar is purely spirtual since no offspring or descendants of the Avatar has ever gotten more than one bending. Does enviroment play a role in it? Like did the first water benders living in North and South Poles just make them primed for learning water bending? Yes I know I put too much thought into a cartoon show.

Nerdnot

[459]Jun 19, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I never understood how bending works. So animals and spirits taught humans how to bend or humans watched them bend and copied them. Those people who watched them had the potential or chi to bend those specific elements and nothing more? If the first two earth benders had met mimicked a dragon instead of the badger moles (I think) would they have failed at bending and never learned fire bending because their chi was primed for earth bending and not fire bending? Or were humans capable of learning any of the 4 elements, but after hundreds possibly thousands of years of bending a certain style that all their descendants could only been that element? Did humans get certain chi from the spirits that allowed them to bend elements?

How much does genetics play a part or if any in bending? Is it all spiritual or what? The Avatar is purely spirtual since no offspring or descendants of the Avatar has ever gotten more than one bending. Does enviroment play a role in it? Like did the first water benders living in North and South Poles just make them primed for learning water bending? Yes I know I put too much thought into a cartoon show.

I know for a fact that with water bending they saw the moon push and pull water and decided to do it for themselves. That is a very interesting question. Personally i think they could have just mimicked the dragon just as well they did with badger mole. No clue for the rest of the paragraph. Probably a huge part of it. I would say spiritual but Korra isn't spiritual at all and she is the avatar. Envirmonet? I really doubt enviroment has much to do about it. Maybe it plays a factor, who knows?

Edited on 06/19/2012 7:07pm

Kwando7

[460]Jun 19, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I know for a fact that with water bending they saw the moon push and pull water and decided to do it for themselves. That is a very interesting question. Personally i think they could have just mimicked the dragon just as well they did with badger mole. No clue for the rest of the paragraph. Probably a huge part of it. I would say spiritual but Korra isn't spiritual at all and she is the avatar. Envirmonet? I really doubt enviroment has much to do about it. Maybe it plays a factor, who knows?

I've wondered about that too maybebending does involve the environment since we have seen many volcanoes in the fire-nation. And all the animals that taught people to bend have only been seen in that part of the world (we haven't seen badgermoles in firenation). Then again only one person would have had to learn bending to teach other people. I wish the creators would give us an explanation.

Edited on 06/19/2012 7:31pm

TheDancingRat

[461]Jun 19, 2012

Kwando7 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:

RaizenYusuke wrote:

I've wondered about that too maybe bending does involve the environment since we have seen many volcanoes in the fire-nation. And all the animals that taught people to bend have only been seen in that part of the world (we haven't seen badgermoles in firenation). Then again only one person would have had to learn bending to teach other people. I wish the creators would give us an explanation.

The Lion-Turtle said in the "In the era before the Avatar, we bent not the elements, but the energy inside ourselves." This makes it sound like energybending is completely seperate from elemental bending, like it's a fifth art. If this is the case, maybe earth, fire, air, and waterbenders cannot bend energy, but the Avatar can because he is spiritually endowed to bend all forms. And if THAT's true, there might be some lineage of energybenders out there who don't know their potential. They've always thought they were non-benders because they couldn't bend any of the 4 known arts, but if taught the 5th they could do it. This concept actually raises my opinion of the Amon is an energybender theory.

Or energybending is a power not related to elemental bending whatsoever. Perhaps everyone is capable of it. The Lion-Turtle said "we..." who does that entail? Him and the other lion turtles? The badger-moles and the dragons? Humans? We can't be sure. I would be very interested to hear the creators' thoughts.

EDIT: Also, what else do you think someone could do with energybending? I doubt the Lion-Turtle and the others just went around taking away each others' bending...

Edited on 06/19/2012 11:09pm

Kwando7

[462]Jun 20, 2012

Kinda makes you wonder when we will see lightbending cause we've seen shadowbending

RaizenYusuke

[463]Jun 20, 2012

We have seen shadow bending?

I am starting to think environment and evolution played a big role in humans developing elemental bending styles. The people of the fire nation live in places with volcanoes where dragons were. It would somewhat explain why people from water tribe have water benders and not earth benders etc.

TheDancingRat

[464]Jun 20, 2012

24 pages is a lot of muck to sort through. A lot of good points have been made and debated and evolved, but it's been hard for me to keep track of them all. Would you guys mind rehashing your main theory/theories again to catch us all up?

I've thought of it this way: there are six primary interrogatives--who, what, when, where, why, and how. When it comes to Amon, we know the what (he's attacking the city and taking people's bending away), we know the where (Republic City), and we know the when (70 years after the last series). So the questions we've really been debating are "Who is Amon," "Why is he doing what he's doing," and "How is he accomplishing it?" So please, if you post a cohesive theory try to answer all 3 of these questions. Posting your ideas on just one or two of the questions will still be helpful too.