We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

TheDancingRat

[465]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 2

TheDancingRat wrote:

24 pages is a lot of muck to sort through. A lot of good points have been made and debated and evolved, but it's been hard for me to keep track of them all. Would you guys mind rehashing your main theory/theories again to catch us all up?

I've thought of it this way: there are six primary interrogatives--who, what, when, where, why, and how. When it comes to Amon, we know the what (he's attacking the city and taking people's bending away), we know the where (Republic City), and we know the when (70 years after the last series). So the questions we've really been debating are "Who is Amon," "Why is he doing what he's doing," and "How is he accomplishing it?" So please, if you post a cohesive theory try to answer all 3 of these questions. Posting your ideas on just one or two of the questions will still be helpful too.

I'll go first. I know I've been very vocal about the Bumi theory because I felt it was valid and no one was giving it a voice, but I'm gonna step back and support my preferred theory for a minute: Amon as a bloodbender.

Who is Amon:

I don't actually have a solid theory on who Amon is specifically. I believe he is human (not a spirit) and I believe he is a bloodbender, but I am strongly opposed to the idea he is Yakone. I could buy into him being Tarrlok's brother, but in my opinion we've seen very little evidence for this. My thinking is that any waterbender could potentially become a bloodbender if they are instructed in the art. Hama claimed she was the last bloodbender and passed her knowledge on to Katara, but I doubt Katara trained Yakone so clearly there was someone else out there.

I have a theory that master bloodbenders don't need the full moon. We know Hama discovered the method while being locked away in prison and deprived of water. She had to learn the technique over years of full moons manipulating rats. She "mastered" the ability enough to control the prison guards, but is she really a master at it? Katara was able to waterbend without any formal training at all. There was a huge difference in Katara's ability from the first episode until after she trained with a master. What if Hama's belief that bloodbending could only be accomplished during a full moon was just because she wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to do it without the moon's aid? Katara learned this from Hama and I got the impression she didn't want to use it too often after she was forced to. She used it against her mother's killer but that was a fit of extreme rage and how often does that happen? So Katara continued to believe it was true and never tested the preconception. It's a rare skill to begin with so everyone else just took Katara's word. I think that this practice was probably discovered by someone else who honed this technique to be more precise. If this is true, Yakone and Tarrlok's ability might not be a genetic miracle and might simply be a true mastery of bloodbending. Under this line of thinking, Amon could be any waterbender who found a bloodbending master.

I also think Amon is a bender because of the scene in "Out of the Past" where he chases Korra. When he leaps through the fog he is surrounded by a tornado of wisp that looked like bending to me. While I think it looked more like airbending, the rest of my arguments weighs heavier toward bloodbending and since it's already established both Aang and Katara could control cloud formations a waterbender could bend the fog just as easily as an airbender.

Why is he doing what he's doing?

I believe that Amon has 2 primary goals in starting a war between benders and non-benders and taking away peoples bending. The first goal is to take over the world, or at least Republic City. He's starting this war to cause political unrest between benders and non-benders and he's taking away people's bending to lower the morale of the benders and make himself a hero in the eyes of the non-benders. Once he overthrows the bending-centric government his non-benders will obviously establish him as their leader.

The hitch in this plan is the Avatar. The previous Avatar is the only person in modern history to ever take away a person's bending. Korra has never accessed the Avatar State but Amon figures it is only a matter of time and that with access to the Avatar State she may learn energybending. I believe that Amon has learned from Yakone's arrogance and plans to eliminate the Avatar from being a threat to him. Killing her will just reincarnate the Avatar into the next phase which is only a temporary solution. I believe his first plan is to block Korra's bending before she has a chance to take his away. I also believe that his bloodbending technique is a gimmick and that he doesn't think this plan will work. I think Amon knows that if the Avatar is killed in the Avatar state it will break the cycle and he's waiting for her to access it so he can end the threat forever.

How is Amon stripping people of their bending?

I believe Amon is using bloodbending to block the flow of chi in a person's body. Just like Iroh discovered a technique of redirecting lightning from studying waterbending, I think Amon has established a technique of "blood-blocking" from watching chi-blockers. I do not buy into the "advanced chi-blocking" theory because chi-blockers always use physical strikes to temporarily incapacitate their opponents. Amon never strikes his victims. He places one hand on their forehead and the other around the neck/back area. I've focused very intently on where he places his hands in each event--the one hand is always on the forehead with a finger resting on the same chakra Aang used against Ozai and Yakone. I believe this hand is a decoy to draw the eye, a classic illusionist routine. The other hand actually changes slightly. Usually it looks like it's on the neck, which I once thought was key since "amon" is actually the name of a real-world pressure point on the back of the neck. Sometimes his hand is lower on the back though, and if the neck was super-important I think the animators would have been given strict orders to make sure his hand is always there. I think Amon uses his other hand to do the slight movements required for his bloodbending technique and he uses his victim's body to cover his actual method from as many people as possible.

Bending has clearly been established to use the flow of chi through the body and this chi has been proven to be blocked by physical strikes in key locations. Bending is not nearly as affected by blocked chakras as accessing the Avatar State is since Aang was still fully capable of bending even while he could not draw on his past lives. I doubt most benders think about their chakras and have never had them blocked to the point of blocked bending so when Amon blocks their chi all they know is that they can no longer bend. Amon adds his propoganda and draws on Aang's precedent to conceal the true cause and thereby keep the benders permanently blocked.

Theoretically this blood-blocking technique could be undone through some sort of spiritual process, counter-blood-blocking, or maybe just a really focused massage. My main emphasis for blood-blocking is that the creators told us that a bender could use bloodbending to crush organs--something that has not openly happened in the show thus far. While it is an interesting tid-bit, most of the information the creators have allowed released has come directly into play in TLoK, and the show's been so compact that every scene has been expertly thought out. I don't think they would have told us that if it didn't come into play in the story at all. Amon could also potentially crush key points in the body to stop bending so completely that it cannot be undone. It's the bloodbending equivalent to severing all nerves in an arm to permanently block it's connection to the brain and render it limp. This would be a completely different technique than Aang used but is potentially just as permanent and effective.

There's no way to be certain until the show is over, so I'm not saying this is true and everyone else is wrong. This is just what I think has become the most cohesive theory. I still put stock in the Bumi theory and a couple others. I look forward to hearing your critiques of my thoughts and your perspectives on Amon. (If no one else beats me to it I'll probably make a Bumi theory post in a day or two)

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Kwando7

[466]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 18

TheDancingRat wrote:

TheDancingRat wrote:

24 pages is a lot of muck to sort through. A lot of good points have been made and debated and evolved, but it's been hard for me to keep track of them all. Would you guys mind rehashing your main theory/theories again to catch us all up?

I've thought of it this way: there are six primary interrogatives--who, what, when, where, why, and how. When it comes to Amon, we know the what (he's attacking the city and taking people's bending away), we know the where (Republic City), and we know the when (70 years after the last series). So the questions we've really been debating are "Who is Amon," "Why is he doing what he's doing," and "How is he accomplishing it?" So please, if you post a cohesive theory try to answer all 3 of these questions. Posting your ideas on just one or two of the questions will still be helpful too.

I'll go first. I know I've been very vocal about the Bumi theory because I felt it was valid and no one was giving it a voice, but I'm gonna step back and support my preferred theory for a minute: Amon as a bloodbender.

Who is Amon:

I don't actually have a solid theory on who Amon is specifically. I believe he is human (not a spirit) and I believe he is a bloodbender, but I am strongly opposed to the idea he is Yakone. I could buy into him being Tarrlok's brother, but in my opinion we've seen very little evidence for this. My thinking is that any waterbender could potentially become a bloodbender if they are instructed in the art. Hama claimed she was the last bloodbender and passed her knowledge on to Katara, but I doubt Katara trained Yakone so clearly there was someone else out there.

I have a theory that master bloodbenders don't need the full moon. We know Hama discovered the method while being locked away in prison and deprived of water. She had to learn the technique over years of full moons manipulating rats. She "mastered" the ability enough to control the prison guards, but is she really a master at it? Katara was able to waterbend without any formal training at all. There was a huge difference in Katara's ability from the first episode until after she trained with a master. What if Hama's belief that bloodbending could only be accomplished during a full moon was just because she wasn't strong enough or skilled enough to do it without the moon's aid? Katara learned this from Hama and I got the impression she didn't want to use it too often after she was forced to. She used it against her mother's killer but that was a fit of extreme rage and how often does that happen? So Katara continued to believe it was true and never tested the preconception. It's a rare skill to begin with so everyone else just took Katara's word. I think that this practice was probably discovered by someone else who honed this technique to be more precise. If this is true, Yakone and Tarrlok's ability might not be a genetic miracle and might simply be a true mastery of bloodbending. Under this line of thinking, Amon could be any waterbender who found a bloodbending master.

I also think Amon is a bender because of the scene in "Out of the Past" where he chases Korra. When he leaps through the fog he is surrounded by a tornado of wisp that looked like bending to me. While I think it looked more like airbending, the rest of my arguments weighs heavier toward bloodbending and since it's already established both Aang and Katara could control cloud formations a waterbender could bend the fog just as easily as an airbender.

Why is he doing what he's doing?

I believe that Amon has 2 primary goals in starting a war between benders and non-benders and taking away peoples bending. The first goal is to take over the world, or at least Republic City. He's starting this war to cause political unrest between benders and non-benders and he's taking away people's bending to lower the morale of the benders and make himself a hero in the eyes of the non-benders. Once he overthrows the bending-centric government his non-benders will obviously establish him as their leader.

The hitch in this plan is the Avatar. The previous Avatar is the only person in modern history to ever take away a person's bending. Korra has never accessed the Avatar State but Amon figures it is only a matter of time and that with access to the Avatar State she may learn energybending. I believe that Amon has learned from Yakone's arrogance and plans to eliminate the Avatar from being a threat to him. Killing her will just reincarnate the Avatar into the next phase which is only a temporary solution. I believe his first plan is to block Korra's bending before she has a chance to take his away. I also believe that his bloodbending technique is a gimmick and that he doesn't think this plan will work. I think Amon knows that if the Avatar is killed in the Avatar state it will break the cycle and he's waiting for her to access it so he can end the threat forever.

I believe Amon is using bloodbending to block the flow of chi in a person's body. Just like Iroh discovered a technique of redirecting lightning from studying waterbending, I think Amon has established a technique of "blood-blocking" from watching chi-blockers. I do not buy into the "advanced chi-blocking" theory because chi-blockers always use physical strikes to temporarily incapacitate their opponents. Amon never strikes his victims. He places one hand on their forehead and the other around the neck/back area. I've focused very intently on where he places his hands in each event--the one hand is always on the forehead with a finger resting on the same chakra Aang used against Ozai and Yakone. I believe this hand is a decoy to draw the eye, a classic illusionist routine. The other hand actually changes slightly. Usually it looks like it's on the neck, which I once thought was key since "amon" is actually the name of a real-world pressure point on the back of the neck. Sometimes his hand is lower on the back though, and if the neck was super-important I think the animators would have been given strict orders to make sure his hand is always there. I think Amon uses his other hand to do the slight movements required for his bloodbending technique and he uses his victim's body to cover his actual method from as many people as possible.

Bending has clearly been established to use the flow of chi through the body and this chi has been proven to be blocked by physical strikes in key locations. Bending is not nearly as affected by blocked chakras as accessing the Avatar State is since Aang was still fully capable of bending even while he could not draw on his past lives. I doubt most benders think about their chakras and have never had them blocked to the point of blocked bending so when Amon blocks their chi all they know is that they can no longer bend. Amon adds his propoganda and draws on Aang's precedent to conceal the true cause and thereby keep the benders permanently blocked.

Theoretically this blood-blocking technique could be undone through some sort of spiritual process, counter-blood-blocking, or maybe just a really focused massage. My main emphasis for blood-blocking is that the creators told us that a bender could use bloodbending to crush organs--something that has not openly happened in the show thus far. While it is an interesting tid-bit, most of the information the creators have allowed released has come directly into play in TLoK, and the show's been so compact that every scene has been expertly thought out. I don't think they would have told us that if it didn't come into play in the story at all. Amon could also potentially crush key points in the body to stop bending so completely that it cannot be undone. It's the bloodbending equivalent to severing all nerves in an arm to permanently block it's connection to the brain and render it limp. This would be a completely different technique than Aang used but is potentially just as permanent and effective.

There's no way to be certain until the show is over, so I'm not saying this is true and everyone else is wrong. This is just what I think has become the most cohesive theory. I still put stock in the Bumi theory and a couple others. I look forward to hearing your critiques of my thoughts and your perspectives on Amon. (If no one else beats me to it I'll probably make a Bumi theory post in a day or two)

I'd be interested in a Bumi theory thread, I thought Amon would be Bumi at the start but I've started to think it's someone we don't know. Shadowbending has been seen in the comics but they are apparently non canon used by a girl named Analay

RaizenYusuke

[467]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 28

My theory was Amon was Yakone's son. After Out of the Past I think it is more likely he is a blood bender and another son of Yakone and that he is using blood bending to stop bending similar to what you said.

I really like the idea of Amon being a victim of Yakone. During the height of Yakone's crimes that he attacked a boy's family and bad happened to them. A young Amon discovered an advance and or new bending art.

Nerdnot

[468]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 14

TheDancingRat wrote:

24 pages is a lot of muck to sort through. A lot of good points have been made and debated and evolved, but it's been hard for me to keep track of them all.

Who is Amon:

I have a theory that master bloodbenders don't need the full moon. We know Hama discovered the method while being locked away in prison and deprived of water. She had to learn the technique over years of full moons manipulating rats. She "mastered" the ability enough to control the prison guards, but is she really a master at it?

1. That's why you on systems preferences the amount a per page on the forum as 50.(I swear there used to be a hundred option) and keep track best you can.

2. I think the show creators have confirmed that Hama was a master at doing what she did, I don't she actually ever tried it without the full moon.

3. (This is probably the only part I agree with you) Amon a bender? Possible!

4. "Amon never strikes his victims." Its in a way not striking, but I call it striking. All the other hand has to be is around the base of the neck for the earth charka.. I think it's might be that the one because that one deals with survival, and is blocked by fear. Buts it's at least Light one.

5. It was only the spirt one that was blocked, not the others.

AND FOR THE LAST TIME! Although there is evidence to the Bumi theory, there is WAY MORE evidence against it. If Bumi wanted power he could just stick around Republic city couldn't he as himself? He could've helped with his brother out with the council or he could have just made his way through business. Or he could have just left and try building peace with non benders and benders, seeing has he's a got a ear for both.

Edited on 06/20/2012 2:57am
    Edited 3 total times.

Nerdnot

[469]Jun 20, 2012
    Not to mention that the Bumi theory is kinda cliche'

Kwando7

[470]Jun 20, 2012

you have said "FOR THE LAST TIME" atleast 3 or 4 times and it's still pretty funny that you think you have control over what's going to be posted. only 4 more days till we find out the truth about Amon.

And the secret 2nd evil son isn't cliche?

Edited on 06/20/2012 6:14am

Nerdnot

[471]Jun 20, 2012
    Kwando7 wrote:

you have said "FOR THE LAST TIME" atleast 3 or 4 times and it's still pretty funny that you think you have control over what's going to be posted. only 4 more days till we find out the truth about Amon.

yeah I guess I have said that a lot. Well wasn't Bumi like the first one we thought of?

Kwando7

[472]Jun 20, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

yeah I guess I have said that a lot. Well wasn't Bumi like the first one we thought of?

I think it was the first to be not believed you know I can't remember who was thought to be Amon first..that's pretty funny

Nerdnot

[473]Jun 20, 2012
    Kwando7 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:
    Kwando7 wrote:

I think it was the first to be not believed you know I can't remember who was thought to be Amon first..that's pretty funny

HA! Look at the first page, we DID think of Bumi first!

Mosk915

[474]Jun 20, 2012

Are you sure Amon's identity will be revealed in the season finale? Is the second season not going to be related to the first? Regardless, I think Amon is either someone we know or related to someone we know otherwise, the mask would be pointless. I also don't think Amon is a bender because he said he wasn't and that type of lie would be a cheap ending on the creator's part.

Nerdnot

[475]Jun 20, 2012
    Mosk915 wrote:

Are you sure Amon's identity will be revealed in the season finale? Is the second season not going to be related to the first? Regardless, I think Amon is either someone we know or related to someone we know otherwise, the mask would be pointless. I also don't think Amon is a bender because he said he wasn't and that type of lie would be a cheap ending on the creator's part.

Yes, the show was only orginaly supposed to be 1 season. Somewhat is my guess. I think is Tarrlocks brother, but everyone is entitled to their opion.

RaizenYusuke

[476]Jun 20, 2012
    • level: 28
    Cliche argument makes never makes sense to me. Cliche is a cliche becase it has been so many times before, but at thisday and age everything has been done in the fictional world, so everything is cliche at his point. I don't think it is Bumi either, but I do not think it is a crack theory, especially with the points the Dancing Rat brought up. I think Amon will be Yakone's second son and a blood bender, but am really hoping it is something more than just that. I am hoping it is more than Amon tyring to take over the world and is Yakone reincarnated or his kid or whatever. Amon's identity hasn't been played much I am going to on a limb here say the mask is purely to strike fear in his opponents hearts and win sympahty for people and he will be a regular jack off we know nothing about.

Kwando7

[477]Jun 20, 2012

3 more days till we find out

Mosk915

[478]Jun 21, 2012

I found this theory on another website. Some people believe that this is the leaked end of the story so if you don't want to know, don't read any further.

Amon is a man known as Hakoi Fen, a previous student to Avatar Aang before he died. Within his time as a child, Hakoi lived on a farm with his two parents (unnamed). Being extorted by local bending gangs ( consisting of a young Yakkone, A nameless fire bender, and earth bender named Umo) Hakoi and his family were forced in to pay heavy fees in exchange for "protection". In an attempt to help his family Hakoi stood up to the fire benders, who in turn disfigured his face. In rage Hakoi's Father retaliated at the gang but was killed. While traveling on a spiritual Pilgrimage to better connect himself with the spiritual world, Aang Met Hakoi. The two became well acquainted and soon became friends, meeting up at an old cherry blossom tree to meditate and talk. Aang soon found out about Hakoi's troubles and swiftly took care of the fire bending gangs. Hakoi was not pleased with the fact that Aang did not kill the gang members, and began to feel a negative outlook on all benders in general for their misuse of their powers. While relations with Hakoi began to draw thin, Aang decided to teach Hakoi a unique form of bending he called "Withdrawal Bending" (also known as energy bending). Unknown to Hakoi though, Aang only taught him half of what was required for energy bending, only allowing him to block the mind but not the body. Upon Aang's departure Hakoi tended to his mother who's health was declining due to severe depression. After she died Hakoi began a pilgrimage of his own, where he met members of the Kioshi warriors who taught him chi blocking, then later he met the descendants of the Mechanist who passed on their knowledge of machinery to Hakoi.Hakoi soon learned that electricity produced from a fire bender was unique. A form of accelerated Chi, A fire benders electricity had potential to create a back flow of chi which would render bending un-usable for a certain amount of time. Using his new found knowledge Hakoi, dawned as Amon and began his reign of equalism.

Nerdnot

[479]Jun 21, 2012
    Mosk915 wrote:

I found this theory on another website. Some people believe that this is the leaked end of the story so if you don't want to know, don't read any further.

Amon is a man known as Hakoi Fen, a previous student to Avatar Aang before he died. Within his time as a child, Hakoi lived on a farm with his two parents (unnamed). Being extorted by local bending gangs ( consisting of a young Yakkone, A nameless fire bender, and earth bender named Umo) Hakoi and his family were forced in to pay heavy fees in exchange for "protection". In an attempt to help his family Hakoi stood up to the fire benders, who in turn disfigured his face. In rage Hakoi's Father retaliated at the gang but was killed. While traveling on a spiritual Pilgrimage to better connect himself with the spiritual world, Aang Met Hakoi. The two became well acquainted and soon became friends, meeting up at an old cherry blossom tree to meditate and talk. Aang soon found out about Hakoi's troubles and swiftly took care of the fire bending gangs. Hakoi was not pleased with the fact that Aang did not kill the gang members, and began to feel a negative outlook on all benders in general for their misuse of their powers. While relations with Hakoi began to draw thin, Aang decided to teach Hakoi a unique form of bending he called "Withdrawal Bending" (also known as energy bending). Unknown to Hakoi though, Aang only taught him half of what was required for energy bending, only allowing him to block the mind but not the body. Upon Aang's departure Hakoi tended to his mother who's health was declining due to severe depression. After she died Hakoi began a pilgrimage of his own, where he met members of the Kioshi warriors who taught him chi blocking, then later he met the descendants of the Mechanist who passed on their knowledge of machinery to Hakoi.Hakoi soon learned that electricity produced from a fire bender was unique. A form of accelerated Chi, A fire benders electricity had potential to create a back flow of chi which would render bending un-usable for a certain amount of time. Using his new found knowledge Hakoi, dawned as Amon and began his reign of equalism.

First pic http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkZLKreXE_4

Mosk915

[480]Jun 21, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:
    Mosk915 wrote:

The guy on the video says Amon is Aang. Even if the picture is real, I don't believe that because obviously, Aang would have to be dead for Korra to be the Avatar which she obviously is because she can bend more than one element. I think this picture could still fit in with the theory I found because if Amon was in fact Aang's student, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to have arrows on him.

Nerdnot

[481]Jun 21, 2012

Mosk915 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:
    Mosk915 wrote:

The guy on the video says Amon is Aang. Even if the picture is real, I don't believe that because obviously, Aang would have to be dead for Korra to be the Avatar which she obviously is because she can bend more than one element. I think this picture could still fit in with the theory I found because if Amon was in fact Aang's student, it wouldn't be out of the ordinary for him to have arrows on him.

Those are strictly airbending tattoes though.

Edited on 06/21/2012 1:48pm

Mosk915

[482]Jun 21, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:

Mosk915 wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:
    Mosk915 wrote:

Those are strictly airbending tattoes though.

I know but it's possible that Amon somehow got those tattoos. Based on the way the Avatar cycle works, it would be impossible for Aang and Korra to bealive at the same time.

Nerdnot

[483]Jun 21, 2012
    Spirt World

Mosk915

[484]Jun 21, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:
    Spirt World

I guess if he's possessing someone.