We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Does Harold deserve to be picked on by Duncan and Courtney so much?

Does Harold deserve to be picked on so much?

CrystalCoconut

[1]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 11

What do you think?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

NejiShikamaru

[2]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 13
    I think it just provides another aspect to the show.

moocow3000

[3]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 3
    Courtney never really picked on Harold except in the reunion, and yeah he deserves it.

nate4123

[4]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 16
    ABSOLUTELY! You messed up with two of the toughest characters in the game and you will get a full thrown kick in the behind from the both of them. Harold is doomed. I really agree with what Duncan and Courtney are doing to him. He deserved it!

duncanxcourtney

[5]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 6
    I admit at first I felt that Harold deserved what Duncan was doing to him, but as tda progressed i realized that it was to much. Sure what harold did was bad but not THAT bad. Courtney is a pointless character anyway. So honestly, duncan needs to stop. He's gotten his revenge. There is no point to his antics toward harold and i would be thoroughly pleased if harold stood up for himself and gave duncan a taste of his own medicine. >;D

terminoob

[6]Jun 20, 2009
    • level: 17
    In TDI? I guess.
    In TDA? No way. He's proved to be one of the most helpful players on his team, yet he still gets bullied on by Duncan. At least for Courtney, getting on to TDA wasn't Harold's fault, so she'll most likely direct all her rage to Duncan and forget about Harold.

And really, at least Harold had REASON to do what he did, Duncan wouldn't stop antagonizing him, so, he used his brains to get back at him. But, I'm probably biased, since I absolutely despise Courtney and think Harold is one of my favorite characters that deserves to win this whole thing, but, whatever.

alagaesian

[7]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 12
    Well, they kind of need that conflict for the show. Nothing would be happening at the Gaffer end of the plotline otherwise. Ever since DJ left, the Harold-Duncan conflict has been the driving force for that team's drama.

But, no, he doesn't deserve to be picked on. I've heard that Courtney coming back. She's getting exactly what she wants by participating in both seasons. Seven other contestants don't even have a shot at season two.

Plus, she's getting a jump start on the competition this way. She's effectively trading a wimpy chance at 100 grand for a one-in-nine shot at a million. She should be HAPPY. And, therefore, Duncan should be happy. Then again, he doesn't know that Courtney will come back. But I hope that the antagonizing stops when she returns to the show.

tigerty101

[8]Jun 21, 2009
    • level: 15

Season 1: yes, it evened out his karma for what he did to Courtney (in my opinion).
    Season 2: no, but it's the main point of drama for the gaffers now, so I'd say it's okay until the teams merge, after that I'd want it to stop (at least with Duncan).

BrainMan820

[9]Jun 21, 2009

Yes, Harold deserves to be bullied by Duncan for what he did to Courtney. Harold's actions were illegal and inexcusable in TDI.

In TDA, I'm a bit softer to him, but honestly, he doesn't deserve to be off the hook. Harold made no attempt to make amends to Courtney, and the fact that she comes back does not exonerate him.

imverybasic

[10]Jun 24, 2009

Absolutely not. I'm glad that Harold did what he did. He messes around with the toughest characters of the show? They should have thought about it before undermining him. Just another series that protrays messages on how nice guys finish last. I'm personally not buying it. Courtney is just plain annoying and Duncan just doesn't seem to pick up on the fact that Harold has nothing against anybody. If you ask me, Harold did the right thing. It serves them both right for crossing the line and if Harold makes it further this season, even toward the end, I would be mighty fine with it.

Okay, so I can note that he did something inexcusable and unacceptable to the show- explains why that he's lost the most of the respect- but why should he try to redeem himself with Courtney? From all of the previous grudges that she has been and still holds against Harold, it doesn't look like Courtney's in a hurry to forgive him. And even before the whole incident occured, I seem to have recalled that she treated him badly earlier, and even if Harold were to attempt to make amends, Courtney would just rub it in his face, saying something like "that's more like it," or "I told you so," so why should Harold strain himself in trying to redeem his relationship? Also, don't forget the thing with Gwen and Trent. She broke up with him and I reckon that the recent 'Aftermath' will be the single and last time that people have filed complaints against Gwen, so she'll probably be off the hook. All right, so I could admit that what Harold did can't compare to what Gwen did, but I'm just saying, why in the world should everyone else who has done terrible-sometimes even more severe--things to a person and then be let off the hook (with the exception of Heather) whilst Harold just doing what he does as a gesture of defense?

Edited on 06/24/2009 1:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

BrainMan820

[11]Jun 24, 2009

Actually, during all of TDI, Courtney was never mean to Harold. She stated that he was a bad player at dodgeball (and he was, given that he couldn't throw and Leshawna easily threw him out), and said he wasn't strong enough to push back 7 people in a canoe. That's hardly mean.

Duncan was pretty mean to Harold, but Courtney was not. It was a sick game of revenge on Harold's part.

Whether or not Courtney would actually forgive Harold has nothing to do with whether or not Harold should do it. Harold has seen nothing of Courtney until now. Further, he already admitted that his actions were, in fact, wrong. That's the only given conclusion.

PintheDog

[12]Jun 24, 2009
    • level: 29
    imverybasic wrote:
    Absolutely not. I'm glad that Harold did what he did. He messes around with the toughest characters of the show? They should have thought about it before undermining him. Just another series that protrays messages on how nice guys finish last. I'm personally not buying it. Courtney is just plain annoying and Duncan just doesn't seem to pick up on the fact that Harold has nothing against anybody. If you ask me, Harold did the right thing. It serves them both right for crossing the line and if Harold makes it further this season, even toward the end, I would be mighty fine with it.

I almost wrote off your entire post as slanted dribble, but I decided to answer it with this: Except Harold did it to someone who really never did anything all that bad to him.

I'd have had more sympathy toward Harold had he just done what he did to the person who antagonized him. If he'd just rigged those votes to send Duncan home instead, I'd have absolutely understood and would've had no complaints about it. But no. He decided to go after Duncan through someone he cared about and thought he was so bad-ass for doing it. But he wasn't bad-ass. He was just a weasel and a coward for not having the guts to go after his number-one enemy himself. Him getting outlasted by Duncan was absolutely well-deserved for that alone.

Yes, he admitted in the sequester hotel episode that what he did to Courtney was wrong, but I'd have still respected him more had he admitted that to Courtney. Hell, even the rest of the eliminated campers refused to talk to him because of what he did! IMO, yes, he needs her forgiveness before I can fully respect him again.

As for TDA, well, Duncan never really got to have his revenge in TDI since Harold went out in the middle of the game, and Duncan made it very close to the end and never got the chance to find out until after his elimination. So he's taking his chance to finally get back at him for it. I think now, he's gotten enough revenge, but I certainly didn't mind it early on.

To sum it up, I'll say:

In TDI: Yes. Absolutely. Harold deserved everything he got and more.

In TDA: Sorta yes, sorta no. I won't forgive him unless Courtney does, and that's all there is to it.

As for how far he gets in TDA . . . click at your own risk:
    ***SPOILER***

BomberFman34

[13]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 5
    BrainMan820 wrote:

Actually, during all of TDI, Courtney was never mean to Harold. She stated that he was a bad player at dodgeball (and he was, given that he couldn't throw and Leshawna easily threw him out), and said he wasn't strong enough to push back 7 people in a canoe. That's hardly mean.

Duncan was pretty mean to Harold, but Courtney was not. It was a sick game of revenge on Harold's part.

Whether or not Courtney would actually forgive Harold has nothing to do with whether or not Harold should do it. Harold has seen nothing of Courtney until now. Further, he already admitted that his actions were, in fact, wrong. That's the only given conclusion.

Oh yeah... Courtney was never mean to Harold >_>...

Sure I can understand the dodgeball game, but she never even let him try out for the Talent Show, even after he proved to be one of the best Bass from the last challenge, and having a talent that could give them the win. As for the canoe thing she completely singled him out on the matter. Instead of telling DJ he's the only one who could do it, she instead lifts the dude's arms and says they arnt gonna cut it. that seems pretty mean. And if I said it once, I'll say it again who would you rather vote off a tough strong-bodied guy with more than a few tricks up their sleeve, or bossy girl who isnt overly fond of you, doesnt do random challenges, and doesnt care about what everone can bring to the table for the team. Personally, I woulda voted the latter off too. better chances of winning

imverybasic

[14]Jun 25, 2009

There was no other way that Harold could have gotten his revenge. In spite of that, the only way that Harold could make Duncan feel the way he made him feel was to get to Courtney- try to throw him off his game-- he failed miserably for that. In my opinion, Courtney is not innocent in this because although she didn't bully him physically, she abused him verbally. She continuously hurt his feelings and kept treating him like he was worthless and not part of the team. Okay so what Harold did was unacceptable but, he's not the only character who has pulled an illegal stunt. Everybody makes mistakes at some point and cheats their way through the game every so often although in Harold's case, he did the right thing. In my opinion Courteny and Duncan should just grow up and stop overreacting and feel that they need to get revenge for everything. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but despite the stunt that he pulled, I honestly don't see any reason why Harold deserves to be rediculed. I don't hate Duncan but why start something with someone? Especially since Harold doesn't deserve any abuse from anyone considering that he did nothing wrong in the beginning.

I apologize for sounding harsh and I know that Duncan is at fault here but really, Courtney has to grow up. She's got to stop acting so overdramatic and feel that she has to get revenge on everybody for every trivial thing that happens. She's not perfect and eveybody makes mistakes everyday. And maybe if she was less uptight about things then Harold would have no trouble trying to redeem himself and no reason to go after her to begin with. Like let's just think about this for a moment... if Courtney was around a group of people and if one of them sneezed, would she vow to get her revenge on them for sneezing? Okay so this example seems a tad extreme and a bit nonsensical, but I'm trying to make a point. Courtney is the type of person who gets enraged too quickly and feels that she has to get revenge if something doesn't go her way. I mean, if you were around someone who was contantly demanding; always telling you what to do and verbally abusing for no reason, would you choose to make amends with them after a time you did something bad to them?

If what Harold did was so wrong, he should be given a different punishment or dealt with differently.

PintheDog

[15]Jun 25, 2009
    And even after the talent show, he proceeded to be utterly useless in every challenge.

Case in point, she was never really mean to Harold at all. Maybe a bit snippy, but never outright vicious like Heather was to almost everyone.

imverybasic

[17]Jun 25, 2009
    BomberFman34 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

Oh yeah... Courtney was never mean to Harold >_>... Sure I can understand the dodgeball game, but she never even let him try out for the Talent Show, even after he proved to be one of the best Bass from the last challenge, and having a talent that could give them the win. As for the canoe thing she completely singled him out on the matter. Instead of telling DJ he's the only one who could do it, she instead lifts the dude's arms and says they arnt gonna cut it. that seems pretty mean. And if I said it once, I'll say it again who would you rather vote off a tough strong-bodied guy with more than a few tricks up their sleeve, or bossy girl who isnt overly fond of you, doesnt do random challenges, and doesnt care about what everone can bring to the table for the team. Personally, I woulda voted the latter off too. better chances of winning

I agree.

PintheDog

[18]Jun 25, 2009
    imverybasic wrote:

There was no other way that Harold could have gotten his revenge. In spite of that, the only way that Harold could make Duncan feel the way he made him feel was to get to Courtney- try to throw him off his game-- he failed miserably for that. In my opinion, Courtney is not innocent in this because although she didn't bully him physically, she abused him verbally. She continuously hurt his feelings and kept treating him like he was worthless and not part of the team. Okay so what Harold did was unacceptable but, he's not the only character who has pulled an illegal stunt. Everybody makes mistakes at some point and cheats their way through the game every so often although in Harold's case, he did the right thing. In my opinion Courteny and Duncan should just grow up and stop overreacting and feel that they need to get revenge for everything. Of course, you are entitled to your opinion, but despite the stunt that he pulled, I honestly don't see any reason why Harold deserves to be rediculed. I don't hate Duncan but why start something with someone? Especially since Harold doesn't deserve any abuse from anyone considering that he did nothing wrong in the beginning.

I apologize for sounding harsh and I know that Duncan is at fault here but really, Courtney has to grow up. She's got to stop acting so overdramatic and feel that she has to get revenge on everybody for every trivial thing that happens. She's not perfect and eveybody makes mistakes everyday. And maybe if she was less uptight about things then Harold would have no trouble trying to redeem himself and no reason to go after her to begin with. Like let's just think about this for a moment... if Courtney was around a group of people and if one of them sneezed, would she vow to get her revenge on them for sneezing? Okay so this example seems a tad extreme and a bit nonsensical, but I'm trying to make a point. Courtney is the type of person who gets enraged too quickly and feels that she has to get revenge if something doesn't go her way. I mean, if you were around someone who was contantly demanding; always telling you what to do and verbally abusing for no reason, would you choose to make amends with them after a time you did something bad to them?

If what Harold did was so wrong, he should be given a different punishment or dealt with differently.

But Harold flat-out said it was for nothing she ever did to him. He flat-out said it was all because of everything DUNCAN had done to him that he did it, not anything Courtney had done. JUST DUNCAN.

So yeah, while Courtney may not be TOTALLY innocent in Harold getting his feelings hurt, she still didn't do it to the extent that she deserved THAT.

kittiekat10105

[19]Jun 25, 2009
    • level: 18
    imverybasic wrote:

Okay, so I can note that he did something inexcusable and unacceptable to the show- explains why that he's lost the most of the respect- but why should he try to redeem himself with Courtney? From all of the previous grudges that she has been and still holds against Harold, it doesn't look like Courtney's in a hurry to forgive him. And even before the whole incident occured, I seem to have recalled that she treated him badly earlier, and even if Harold were to attempt to make amends, Courtney would just rub it in his face, saying something like "that's more like it," or "I told you so," so why should Harold strain himself in trying to redeem his relationship? Also, don't forget the thing with Gwen and Trent. She broke up with him and I reckon that the recent 'Aftermath' will be the single and last time that people have filed complaints against Gwen, so she'll probably be off the hook. All right, so I could admit that what Harold did can't compare to what Gwen did, but I'm just saying, why in the world should everyone else who has done terrible-sometimes even more severe--things to a person and then be let off the hook (with the exception of Heather) whilst Harold just doing what he does as a gesture of defense?

OK. I agree that Courtney wasn't exactly NICE to him, but she didn't bully him as much as Duncan. If he had voted out Duncan instead of Courtney, I would have been more sympathetic to him. But Courtney did nothing but like Duncan, and have Duncan like her!

PintheDog

[20]Jun 25, 2009
    kittiekat10105 wrote:
    OK. I agree that Courtney wasn't exactly NICE to him, but she didn't bully him as much as Duncan. If he had voted out Duncan instead of Courtney, I would have been more sympathetic to him. But Courtney did nothing but like Duncan, and have Duncan like her!

Precisely. So I think bringing up Courtney's treatment of Harold is pretty moot, anyway, largely because Harold didn't get her voted off due to anything she said or did to him. As I said in an earlier post, it was only Duncan's behavior toward him that contributed to her getting tossed out of the game, not her own behavior. The show made that clear to us at the time it happened, and even Harold himself made that clear to us in the "Playa Des Losers" episode.
    Edited on 06/25/2009 12:13pm