We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Zuko: Firebending Master?

gilvatar

[101]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 17
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    my 2cents on the Azula vs. Zuko thing is thta they are pretty much equal, yes equal, in skill now. (Don't brong up lightning b/c now that Zuko's got his termoil sorted out, which was his main road block, he probubly could do it now). The difference is that Azula has natural talent and Zuko doesn't. Zuko had to work hard for his skill. He had to run drill after drill after drill b4 he got it right and I bet Azula was like "ok thats the skill? *whips it out* what's next?" Because of this, Zuko probubly has the moves better burned (pun partially intended) into his brain so he can probubly recall them easier than her (don't flame me Azula lovers please). aw crap what was I gonna say next? Oh yeah, and you can't deny that he has more feild experience than her. That's just a fact as far as we know. He's been out in the feild for 3 years she's been out there 3-4 months maybe + she had way more resources than him (just look at the ships they were sent out in).
    If he has more experience, how come he gets owned all the time by Azula? Experience isn't really needed in most Avatar battles... It's been proved.
    when? Did u do aa science fair project on if experience helps? B/c in pretty much everything experience helps. I'm not saying it'll make the difference btween wins and loses but it's a small perk; like wearing shoes when u're getting off a ship (trust me, it helps, I know. Wanna know how I know? From experience, but that's a story for another time.) but it is a fact that Zuko's been out longer than she has. btw, even Ax saes they were equal in the end. So that means no one was pwning, not even Azula.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isabelwhatx

[102]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 14
    I think you misinterpreted what Axrendale meant. They were only equal because Azula had a major disadvantage. That just goes to show that previous to that ONE episode Azula could've owned Zuko.

gilvatar

[103]Sep 18, 2008
    oh so Azula was at a disadvantage in both TBR & TSR? In TBR she still had her friends and they were both on a cart thing (I 4get what they're called)so I don't think that's a disadvantage. Ax said they were equal then too.

isabelwhatx

[104]Sep 18, 2008
    Azula would have defeated Zuko if Mai hadn't butted in. That loss had nothing to do with Azula. Zuko was about to fall to his death in a huge, boiling lake.

gilvatar

[105]Sep 18, 2008
    uh, no they retreated b4 the M word butted in.

Axrendale

[106]Sep 18, 2008
    • level: 10
    Sektos wrote:
    Ohhh
    And Axrendale- in CROD of destiny they were equal- Zuko dodged many og Aang's moves and had Aang on the run even blasting him away at end before then SAVING Azula- and YES both you and ThisCrazyGuy bring that up as being she hasnt fought her before and again raises my (and Gilvatar's) point that Zuko is prob more experienced in the field.

If you're going to argue that Zuko holding his own against Aang initially made them equal, then I would respond that at the very begining of the fight, Azula easily fended off Katara's attacks.

In the end, just as I admit that Katara beat Azula, so too must you admit that Aang beat Zuko. Both times Zuko attacked he was eventually thrown back - he couldn't beat Aang. Nor could he apparently vanquish Katara on his own (although he did hold her off for longer than Azula). Azula, on the other hand, pwned Aang with just one shot. She also later went on to return Zuko's favor by handily taking down Aang again, this time when he was in the Avatar State.

You're confusing ThisCrazyguy's arguments with mine - I have never really gone into the whole "experience" argument. I deal with purely what we have seen - and in the COD fight, I saw Azula come out on top of the ladder.

isabelwhatx

[107]Sep 18, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:

No, they finished their job before Mai butted in. Mai hit the men who were cutting the line which was what was going to kill Zuko and the gAang. Azula didn't RETREAT, she just didn't see why she still needed to be there.

Axrendale

[108]Sep 18, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:

No, they finished their job before Mai butted in. Mai hit the men who were cutting the line which was what was going to kill Zuko and the gAang. Azula didn't RETREAT, she just didn't see why she still needed to be there.

Exactly. That is why Azula beats Zuko. They are dead equal as benders, but Azula beats Zuko because she outhninks him. Without friends, Zuko would have died in TBR and TSR.

isabelwhatx

[109]Sep 18, 2008
    By the way, I can't receive your PMs, Axrendale. If it's important or about the RPG, you can email me at isabelwhatx@aim.com.

Axrendale

[110]Sep 18, 2008
    Sektos wrote:

even Axrendale agrees that they are dead even in raw firebending (to add to that Axrendale- Zuko is also quite accomplished ninja he too is great at acrobatics)

Even though I am a fanatic, I am a reasonable fanatic

Everyone in this show pretty much is an accomplished acrobat. Zuko's ninja skills were good, but not that good. Azula, on the other hand, was pointedly able to beat Suki at the game of non-bending combat. Added to the fact that it is implied that Azula can do stuff with weapons, and she comes out on top of the heap, second only to Ty Lee.

Axrendale

[111]Sep 18, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    By the way, I can't receive your PMs, Axrendale. If it's important or about the RPG, you can email me at isabelwhatx@aim.com.

Thanks

BTW, I will be offline for the next couple of hours.

See you at about 7:30

isabelwhatx

[112]Sep 18, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    Sektos wrote:

even Axrendale agrees that they are dead even in raw firebending (to add to that Axrendale- Zuko is also quite accomplished ninja he too is great at acrobatics)

Even though I am a fanatic, I am a reasonable fanatic

Everyone in this show pretty much is an accomplished acrobat. Zuko's ninja skills were good, but not that good. Azula, on the other hand, was pointedly able to beat Suki at the game of non-bending combat. Added to the fact that it is implied that Azula can do stuff with weapons, and she comes out on top of the heap, second only to Ty Lee.

I'm going to have to disagree with you about raw power. I do think that Azula has more raw power than Zuko. You have to factor in the fact that we've never seen Azula at her best, yet we've seen Zuko. Azula only goes as far as needed. I think she could easily surpass Zuko in brute strength if it interested her.

Awesome I should be on at 7:30.

Sektos

[113]Sep 19, 2008

I REALLY dispise this new set up! any way. What Ax means is raw firebending- the techniques and fighting ability, not necessarily their potentential power.

Ax- "If you're going to argue that Zuko holding his own against Aang initially made them equal, then I would respond that at the very begining of the fight, Azula easily fended off Katara's attacks."

huh???? I dont quite understand your comment lol Azula was incapacitated and needed Zuko to save her. And if i remember correctly Zuko was only knocked back when Aang made air version of himself after which Zuko blew him away with huge fireblast and THEN freed Azula.

AGAIN Azula didnt knock aang out in one blow. IF you mean when he was dumb enough to armour himself with crystals and charge her (COM ON AANG?!) after he was hit he got back up when Katara was hit by double blast from Zuko and Azula. AND as i said to Isabel (i think?) If you count Azula being sneaky and hitting him in back, then you have to count when Zuko did same to Katara (except there she actually tried to block and failed). Personally i see Azuala's out of the blue attack (haha get it lol lightning ) as lower than ZUko's rather obvious melting ice and charging an attack at Katara which she then failed to block.

Ax- "Exactly. That is why Azula beats Zuko. They are dead equal as benders, but Azula beats Zuko because she out-thinks him. Without friends, Zuko would have died in TBR and TSR."

WHAT??? How so? Zuko blocked all her attacks easily in BR without resorting to fire and spent most of time defending Sokka. Are you refering to Ty-lee then helping- because thats not exactly fair if you then remove Zukos to try and prove point. Also as Gilvatar said- Azula and Ty-lee retreated BEFORE the lines were cut (Again not their choice for them to be cut and NOT part of battle) and Mai interrupted. There was no out-thinking in that battle. In southern Raiders their was some planning which came from fact that she was prepared for fight, but Gaangwasnt. As previously said, which ive got Gilvatar backing on , Azula had the higher ground and was on a BLO*ODY blimp supposably out of reach of an Attack on her (sucked in Azula ) and Azula was lucky enough to be closer to the wall and we do not know wether Zuko would have tried to reach it like Azula because he was rescued before Azula attempted it.

Edited on 09/19/2008 9:56pm

Axrendale

[114]Sep 20, 2008
    Sektos wrote:

I REALLY dispise this new set up! any way. What Ax means is raw firebending- the techniques and fighting ability, not necessarily their potentential power.

Ax- "If you're going to argue that Zuko holding his own against Aang initially made them equal, then I would respond that at the very begining of the fight, Azula easily fended off Katara's attacks."

huh???? I dont quite understand your comment lol Azula was incapacitated and needed Zuko to save her. And if i remember correctly Zuko was only knocked back when Aang made air version of himself after which Zuko blew him away with huge fireblast and THEN freed Azula.

AGAIN Azula didnt knock aang out in one blow. IF you mean when he was dumb enough to armour himself with crystals and charge her (COM ON AANG?!) after he was hit he got back up when Katara was hit by double blast from Zuko and Azula. AND as i said to Isabel (i think?) If you count Azula being sneaky and hitting him in back, then you have to count when Zuko did same to Katara (except there she actually tried to block and failed). Personally i see Azuala's out of the blue attack (haha get it lol lightning ) as lower than ZUko's rather obvious melting ice and charging an attack at Katara which she then failed to block.

Ax- "Exactly. That is why Azula beats Zuko. They are dead equal as benders, but Azula beats Zuko because she out-thinks him. Without friends, Zuko would have died in TBR and TSR."

WHAT??? How so? Zuko blocked all her attacks easily in BR without resorting to fire and spent most of time defending Sokka. Are you refering to Ty-lee then helping- because thats not exactly fair if you then remove Zukos to try and prove point. Also as Gilvatar said- Azula and Ty-lee retreated BEFORE the lines were cut (Again not their choice for them to be cut and NOT part of battle) and Mai interrupted. There was no out-thinking in that battle. In southern Raiders their was some planning which came from fact that she was prepared for fight, but Gaangwasnt. As previously said, which ive got Gilvatar backing on , Azula had the higher ground and was on a BLO*ODY blimp supposably out of reach of an Attack on her (sucked in Azula ) and Azula was lucky enough to be closer to the wall and we do not know wether Zuko would have tried to reach it like Azula because he was rescued before Azula attempted it.

For the first comment - You are thinking too late in the fight. I am talking about what happened in the very begining - when Azula first appeared behind Aang and Katara (Zuko hadn't evem entered the scene yet). Katara gathered up a veritable tidal wave to throw at Azula, and yet Azula fended off all three attacks made against her with ease, finally vaporizing the waze with a gignatic blast of blue fire. Shortly after that, Zuko entered the scene.

Facts are facts. Azula and Aang went head to head, and Azula pwned Aang, when he was using crystal armour. When Aang and Zuko went head to head initially, Aang sent Zuko flying with nothing but Airbending.

You cannot deny it - Zuko lost to Aang. The first time he tried to attack, Aang threw him back on his behind with Airbending. The second time, Zuko did slightly better, putting Aang on the retreat. Aang however, soon reasserted himself, stylishly dropping a gigantic stalactite down on Zuko. Once again, Zuko went flying, and apparently decided that he had had enough of fighting the Avatar - he and Azula swapped targets. Azula then blew Aang across the room with her first shot. It is important to note that whereas Zuko's most powerful shot only had enough force to send Aang back a few meters into the air, and had little or no effect on him, Azula's shot was so powerful that Aang was thrown right across the entire cavern, and even then still had enough momentum to smash right through a wall. So, in the final analysis:

Azula:

- 1 impasse
    - 1 loss
    - 1 complete and utter pwnage
    - 1 joint victory
    - 1 highly successful sneak attack

Zuko:

- 2 slight losses
    - 1 impasse
    - 1 joint victory

Azula comes out on top in the numbers

Now for the second comment:

TBR:

It's fairly simple; out of all of them, Azula was the one who realized what the signifigance of the line being cut could be. The Warden was able to shout his orders to the guards - if Azula had wanted to, she could have ordered them to stop. Instead, she coldly flew off to safety, leaving her opponents trapped on a rail-car that was about to fall into the boiling lake. Azula had them outmanouvered - they could have tried to keep her on the car with them, but instead they let her go, not realizing what she had done until it was too late. If Mai hadn't saved them, they would have all been boiled alive.

TSR:

I was actually referring not to the actual attack, but to what happened after they blew eachother off the blimp, and were both falling. Once again it is simple. Zuko had no way of saving himself - without friends to save him, he would have fallen to his death in the canyon below. He was helpless in that situation. Azula, on the other hand, instantly thought up a way by which she could save herself. Without friends, Zuko would have died. Azula had no friends, but still survived - which is why I gave her the points for ability to adapt to and survive the situation.

As benders they may have been equals, but in all else Azula out-stripped her brother by a considerable margin

Sektos

[115]Sep 20, 2008
    Ax do i really need to reply to that? U quoted me right there! BR and SR- BOTH TIMES NOT PART OF FIGHT!!! they were after the fight- Azuala retreated (or 'fell-back' if you perfer) in BR and Southern raiders both were blown out by their equal attacks. CROD- Aang got back up form her attack and Zuko not only got up from Aangs Attack, but rolled out of way from his "finishing blow"/2nd attack and forced by to the rock pillar for cover.

As for first Katara attacks- START of fight, Katara is obvous attacks, saw they didnt work, and so used a more advance one on her and had her in her hold b4 Zuko got her out.

IM currently typing, between doing uni work, a big post lol jsut remembered it then i'll try and finish

Axrendale

[116]Sep 20, 2008
    Sektos wrote:
    Ax do i really need to reply to that? U quoted me right there! BR and SR- BOTH TIMES NOT PART OF FIGHT!!! they were after the fight- Azuala retreated (or 'fell-back' if you perfer) in BR and Southern raiders both were blown out by their equal attacks. CROD- Aang got back up form her attack and Zuko not only got up from Aangs Attack, but rolled out of way from his "finishing blow"/2nd attack and forced by to the rock pillar for cover.

As for first Katara attacks- START of fight, Katara is obvous attacks, saw they didnt work, and so used a more advance one on her and had her in her hold b4 Zuko got her out.

IM currently typing, between doing uni work, a big post lol jsut remembered it then i'll try and finish

We've already come to the agreed upon conclusion that in TBR and TSR Azula and Zuko are equal as far as raw firebending goes. So discussing the actual fights is nullified somewhat. Instead, I was drawing attention to Azula's supeior tactical abilities and resourcefullness.

"Got up from Azula's attack"? Unless I missed something, not until a good period of time had passed (long enough for Zuko and Azula to take down Katara). Zuko's most powerful attack had small effect on Aang. Azula's attack wiped him out (temporarily).

Yep, Zuko recovered from his first knock-down by Aang. He did so only to get knocked down again. Zuko came out worst in their fight. Katara's attack might have been obvious (not to mention massive, and doubtless incredibly powerful), but it was by no means simple. Both of the first two attacks were aimed tentacles of water with the full force of the larger wave behind them. Azula blocked them both easily, and then the final attack was also dispersed. It was a far more powerful attack than the one that Zuko is getting so much credit for blocking when he fought Katara not long afterwards.

Sektos

[117]Sep 20, 2008
    Just reread earlier posts and realised again points that got deleted. This Crazy Guy you do realise you contridicted yourself before

This CrazyGuy-

"....BUT, Azula doesn't ACTUALLY need potential when it comes to wiping the floor with Zuko... They are the young version of Ozai and Iroh... Ozai was visibly better than Iroh, but Iroh is STILL great... That's the same with Azula and Zuko..."

"And I don't think you should be bringing "What if's?" into this either... They are who they are, and Azula is the more talented bender... And even if Zuko was older than Azula... age doesn't mean squat when you are a Firebending prodigy, master and legend all in one... Age doesn't mean anything in bending .... prodigy vs someone ten years older than them wouldn't really mean much..."

"If Zuko has had the extra years of experience, (for what it's worth, he hasn't had THAT much more experience than Azula has), how come Azula always owns him...? Experience doesn't really mean anything, it helps, and gives you some sort of an advantage, but Zuko is going to need so much more than a couple years more experience to ever be as good as The Queen of blue fire..."

Okay first off WHEN has Azula wiped the floor with Zuko apart from first battle on the show! And No as i said before- in the Chase Zuko actually put up a good fight against her and she couldnt knock him out UNTIL he fell through the floor. WOuld Azula have won back then? I believe yes BUUUUT ZUko would have put up a good fight. After that, again as been said before, ZUko has been on an equal par with her in S3 fights. IF there had been a CROD fight ZUko would have put up even more of a fight shown by his new techniques and, though he hadnt tried it yet but if he can do it with ozai it prob worked,redirecting lightning

The jist of your other posts above was that Experience would count for nothing. Before i get to contridiction, IF Zuko, as you said with not too much more experience (i think more than that due to 3 years in the field) can challenge her so well then a older Zuko with same potential would have been equal again or more likely better! I brought this up to show my experience point i had mentioned NOT a what if. You mention Ozai and Iroh being older versions but then say Ozai has more potential than Iroh, though Iroh great, to prove point that experience doesnt count???? EVEN IF OZai had more potential, NEEEEVVVER said, Iroh has YEARS maybe decades of more experience in the battle field. Like Azula, for all we know Ozai never left the country! The two are more likely equal, LIKE ZUK/AZUL, because Ozai is younger but Iroh has experience PLUS healthier source of power.

NOW contridiction-

Whoa, stop there, EVERYONE knows Ozai and Iroh are the top two Firebenders, I never said she was as powerful as them (Although the fact that they are both DECADES older than her and the fact that she can rival them at age fourteen, deserves merit). When did I say Azula was the most powerful Firebender? All I have said, is that she is more powerful than Zuko, I am perfectly aware that she probably won't reach Ozai or Iroh's levels until she is a young woman (Around the age of twenty)... That is why I have said she is in the top three for best Firebenders (Ozai is first (or he was first), Iroh is second, and Azula is third...), she is a young girl, I know she isn't in either of those two people's leagues... She is the THIRD best Firebender in the world... When did I even say she DID know everything?

SOooo your giving merit that to Azula for "maaaybeeeee" rivaling Ozai and Iroh because they have more Experience?!?! But i thought that didnt count? sooo whereas before you said she didnt need potential to help her, here she definitely does (because Ozai and Iroh as you said are top two FB)? But they're older version of Zuk/Azul right? So how can she wipe floor with Zuko without her potential then, ignoring fact that she never did in S3 (or in Chase).

I never said that you said she was as powerful as Ozai and Iroh or most powerful. But guess what! I believe that with what we have been shown she IS potentially the most powerful!!!! yep, even during comet neither Ozai, ZUko, or Iroh produce blue fire. As fact she can do this at age 14 is incredible impresive and id like to say your 2nd comment has merit in that it should count against Ozai and Iroh, buuut as potential. As such, with Zuko's level of potential and his experience i believer he is atleast her equal.

The reason OZai and Iroh would beat her imo is because of their experience. Both have less potential than her, but have years to master their abilities.

"Azula draws her power from a bad place, but I don't think it's unhealthy... Only three people draw their power from the original source, so if the way she Firebends is unhealthy, then I guess the majority of the Fire Nation citizens are unhealthy... She was still smarter than him, when she was insane AND when she was drawing her power from a less powerful source... There are no what if's?... If there were, I could say, what if, Azula knew the way of The Dragons aswell? And then I could make my arguments a lot easier, because everyone knows Zuko would die..."

ALso again i bring up sources of power again. Iroh and Zuko is from within the light side (obi wan and luke), whilst ozai and azula is in dark (Sideous and Vadar). BUT that doesnt mean Ozai and Azula get their power from same place. I put the comparisons in the brackets in that order comparing them to the people. Heres the thing, Azula is Vadar before the accident because her power is from greed, fear and LOVE. She loves her father and craves (needs) for his attention, and without it she goes unblanced. Like Jeong Jeong said "firebenders live on razors edge between control and madness". He fear consumes her and becomes paranoia. The reason also why she doesnt finish ppl off is because of her greed; she has to savour the moment. What makes her different from Ozai is that Ozai greed outways his love. However, i do bring up point that she wasnt "insane"- insane is where u have little control on yourself, your completely unrelient and deluded. Azula was not "insane", unstable yes, but not insane. She was able to fight ZUko incredibly well (though ZUko was winning), plan an attack around his defences and create and aim lightning. If Zuko wasnt able to do that as a sane person with innerconflict, how would an insane Azula do it?

Why arent others so unhealthy- well first there's Zhao and also have person who killed Katara mum (i thought they would go with the redeemed thing). But as i said above- Jeong Jeong said FB are all on razor's edge. ALso i think its the varying sources again and how powerful the bender it- the more fuel the wilder the fire could be, more fire and the more control you need

It sholud also be noted that ZUko endured WORSE that Azula! To him he lost his home, heritage, honor, love of his father (thou he had little) and was even scarred by him and banished, but before which he endured throughout he's life as a disappointment to his father! and thats before he was branded a traitor. He, as i said previously, was close to where Azula was but he had better control on himself and focus on the Avatar. As such, when he accepted that he didnt need his fathers love and approval, that he can earn his own honour he didnt need to capture the Avatar any more and lost his firebending. His focus, like Ozai's on power, kept him from madness, but without needin it he couldnt bend anymore. What the good source brought to him was the ability to produce fire not from control of his anger and rage, but instead from happyness and life. The result is that Zuko of BR and onwards had better control of his abilities and was calmer, more focused. This is why i believe that he was "better" than Azuala (though equal firebenders in technique and power ratio), because with his experience, new power source and own potential he was a better, calmer fighter and person. Its reason i was annoyed that we never got a clear fight with them- BR and SR had environmently issues and interverence, and when they had a clear fight we had Azula unstable (with some thinking insane) and again interverence (Katara).

Righto back to work

For some strange reason "****" or words with that in them are BAND!!! haha omg!

Sektos

[118]Sep 20, 2008
    haha in case your wondering the bleeped out word it c...l...a...s...s
    Seriously! i now hate this new format even more!!! class, i mean come on going a tad far arent they

Sektos

[119]Sep 20, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    We've already come to the agreed upon conclusion that in TBR and TSR Azula and Zuko are equal as far as raw firebending goes. So discussing the actual fights is nullified somewhat. Instead, I was drawing attention to Azula's supeior tactical abilities and resourcefullness.

"Got up from Azula's attack"? Unless I missed something, not until a good period of time had passed (long enough for Zuko and Azula to take down Katara). Zuko's most powerful attack had small effect on Aang. Azula's attack wiped him out (temporarily).

Yep, Zuko recovered from his first knock-down by Aang. He did so only to get knocked down again. Zuko came out worst in their fight. Katara's attack might have been obvious (not to mention massive, and doubtless incredibly powerful), but it was by no means simple. Both of the first two attacks were aimed tentacles of water with the full force of the larger wave behind them. Azula blocked them both easily, and then the final attack was also dispersed. It was a far more powerful attack than the one that Zuko is getting so much credit for blocking when he fought Katara not long afterwards.

Okay- http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/screenshots.php?ep=220&page=20
    has screenshots from fight where Zuko joined. Yep Zuko got hit twice- one aang-shaped air and two MASSIVE stalictite- BUT both times Zuko got up straight away (thou have prob of cutaways here- after tite falls we cut to Katara, fight, then Zuko breaks Azula free). Plus Zuko pushed Aang up fall and then knocked him back with big blast and pushing him around with whips. Also after Aang knocked back Zuko for Second time he trapped himself Under Rocks! If Zuko had gone for him instead of Katara.... Again fairly even fight, and considering Aang is an Airmaster, and basically an EB and WB master two its incredible ZUko did that well (WHY did Aang do stupid armour against Azula *shakes head*)

As for one blast Azula- We dont know how long Aang was down becaue we cut away to EK, sokka etc and when we cut back we go to what was happening in Kat/ZUk fight. It could have been quick or few momements for him to get up, but seeing as took Azula a while to join Zuk/Kat fight thou being right nxt to them im thinking that Zuko stuff happened during the Aang/Zuk fight, meaning Aang got up almost straight away.

Axrendale

[120]Sep 20, 2008
    I'll leave your arguments with ThisCrazyGuy to stand. You guys can fight that one out later.