We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Zuko: Firebending Master?

isabelwhatx

[61]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 14
    4nationfury wrote:
    Look, Azula and Iroh are awesome, but your not giving Zuko any credit here. What about the fact that he managed to equal his sister in firebending in less then a year? I mean, he might not of learned lightning bending yet, but he's learned to direct it. Another thing, when he fought her in the Agni-Kai, Azula was panting, Zuko was fine. And why is Zuko considered stupid for challenging her to use lightning? Think about it. Katara is the one who shouldn't of been in the duel arena, but no one is blaming her. If Azula had fired at him, he would of killed her. She did play dirty because she couldn't win.

Zuko absolutely did NOT measure up to Azula in less than a year. If it wasn't for Azula's insanity, Zuko wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell. Azula was only panting because she was INSANE. And Zuko was absolutely absurd for provoking Azula. He as good as won, but he just HAD to continue the fight. If he kept his mouth shut, Azula wouldn't have brought him down. He brought upon his own defeat, which is the worst defeat of all.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

4nationfury

[62]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 16
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    4nationfury wrote:
    Look, Azula and Iroh are awesome, but your not giving Zuko any credit here. What about the fact that he managed to equal his sister in firebending in less then a year? I mean, he might not of learned lightning bending yet, but he's learned to direct it. Another thing, when he fought her in the Agni-Kai, Azula was panting, Zuko was fine. And why is Zuko considered stupid for challenging her to use lightning? Think about it. Katara is the one who shouldn't of been in the duel arena, but no one is blaming her. If Azula had fired at him, he would of killed her. She did play dirty because she couldn't win.

Zuko absolutely did NOT measure up to Azula in less than a year. If it wasn't for Azula's insanity, Zuko wouldn't have had a snowballs chance in hell. Azula was only panting because she was INSANE. And Zuko was absolutely absurd for provoking Azula. He as good as won, but he just HAD to continue the fight. If he kept his mouth shut, Azula wouldn't have brought him down. He brought upon his own defeat, which is the worst defeat of all.
    Zuko fought Azula with ease back in the Boiling Rock. She wasn't insane in that episode. I absolutely love Azula and think she's super powerful, but Zuko has come very far in his firebending. I also find it odd that you think her bending was weak in the Agni-Kai.

isabelwhatx

[63]Sep 15, 2008
    4nationfury wrote:
    Zuko fought Azula with ease back in the Boiling Rock. She wasn't insane in that episode. I absolutely love Azula and think she's super powerful, but Zuko has come very far in his firebending. I also find it odd that you think her bending was weak in the Agni-Kai.

Zuko absolutely did not fight Azula with ease in TBR. In fact, it was the other way around. Zuko would've died if Mai hadn't betrayed Azula. Zuko, as far as I'm concerned, lost that battle. I never said Azula was weak during the Agni Kai, she was just out of her mind. She was unable to form simple tactics to help her defeat Zuko. She was all brute force, which led to her downfall.

4nationfury

[64]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 16
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    4nationfury wrote:

Zuko absolutely did not fight Azula with ease in TBR. In fact, it was the other way around. Zuko would've died if Mai hadn't betrayed Azula. Zuko, as far as I'm concerned, lost that battle. I never said Azula was weak during the Agni Kai, she was just out of her mind. She was unable to form simple tactics to help her defeat Zuko. She was all brute force, which led to her downfall.
    All right. You keep defending her, but I don't think your accepting his vast improvement in firebending at all. Maybe we're watching two different shows. Who knows.

isabelwhatx

[65]Sep 15, 2008
    4nationfury wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    4nationfury wrote:

All right. You keep defending her, but I don't think your accepting his vast improvement in firebending at all. Maybe we're watching two different shows. Who knows.

The only vast improvement he's had in his firebending is when he discovered the true meaning of firebending. Other than that, he's still got just as much power as Zuko in S1.

Axrendale

[66]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 10

I'm torn here. I must agree that Zuko has made a lot of progress with his firebending. But at the same time, although he may match Azula in power and skill, he will never be able to match her in application of said power and skill. During the finale, Azula was fighting like a berserker - lashing out without putting any though into her attacks. In all of her other fights, every single shot she takes has meaning - she doesn't waste time firing shots that she knows will be blocked. She uses the terrain to her advantage - in TBR she trapped Zuko and co on a cable car that was about to fall into the lake. Had Mai not stopped the guards, Zuko would have died, while Azula flew off to safety. In TSR, Azula blasted Zuko off the Airship, and then once again used her flight abilities to save herself. If Zuko hadn't had friends with a flying bison, he would have been gone.

Added to the fact that Azula does not know original Firebending, as Zuko does (if she did Zuko would go down, hard), and her abilities with lightning, and she comes off on top in my book.

Axrendale

[67]Sep 15, 2008
    But anyway, back on topic, Zuko has improved considerably, and is a master.

ThisCrazyGuy

[68]Sep 15, 2008
    • level: 8
    4nationfury wrote:
    I would honestly have to disagree with you on that note... Azula was in a mental state, I wouldn't think of comparing "SANE" Azula to Zuko... She is a young (14 YEAR OLD) girl, and she is already considered one of the three best Firebenders in the world... And with all her capabilities and accomplishments, like taking Ba Sing Se practically on her own (Making history (No one else could ever conquer Ba Sing Se, not even Iroh) at the age of 14), the list goes on and on, but I will stop with that ONE thing, because that is impressive enough, to put her over Zuko... Zuko will never match up to her, she was born, practically the perfect Firebender, and at 14 years of age, she is still his superior... You have to take into account, that she was INSANE... And she let herself physically slip, the Azula we all know (will come back), would NEVER in a day of hell, let that happen, she is usually always in perfect physical condition... Should we just make Zuko insane, put him against Azula, and say she is better? No, because it isn't a fair fight. She knew she wouldn't win the way things were going, so she classically and intelligently, used her environment and the people around it to her advantage... Zuko is an idiot on that part... He should know what Azula is capable of when it comes to tricks and sneaky methods, he is after all, her brother... He knows her quite possibly more than anyone else, and just calling for a bolt of electricity is a stupid move... Katara shouldn't have been there, but it wouldn't have got to that if Zuko had just kept quiet... He got arrogant and suddenly thought Azula (The queen on manipulation (Whether sane or not)) wouldn't know what he was planning to do... That just oozed of stupidity... He even admitted, the only reason he was able to fight her is because she was "off"... In other words, in the late stages of an official mental breakdown...

ThisCrazyGuy

[69]Sep 15, 2008
    4nationfury wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    4nationfury wrote:

Her bending wasn't as good as it usually is, Isabel never said she was weak... And you have to remember, she was having a mental breakdown, so her physical talents aren't going to be up to the standard that they usually are... She has to have a peace of mind when she is fighting, your not going to see an insane (I mean, horribly insane) man winning the olympics, this was basically the SAME thing... She was in the mid-late stages of breaking down, where as Zuko was perfectly at peace with himself, and he had the teachings of the Dragons...

ThisCrazyGuy

[70]Sep 15, 2008
    I'm not trying to attack your opinions buddy, I'm just voicing mine

ThisCrazyGuy

[71]Sep 16, 2008

So far, I can pretty much agree with almost every single word Axrendale and Isabelwhatx have posted...

ThisCrazyGuy

[72]Sep 16, 2008
    So... AZULA OWNS ZUKO!!!

Sektos

[73]Sep 16, 2008
    Okay to quote my initial reaction that i moved to my blog

"FINALLY have gotten chance to watch part 2!!1 OMG ZUKO IS AWESOME!!! i love how this character have evolved not just emotionally throughout the show, but hes actual fighting ****and power! i think its def' one of the greatest achievements of the show how natural they have made it. First time he fought Azula she kicked his ass and this time i swear it was if Zuko was going easy on her the way he was deflecting and dissipating her attacks without using fire (like Iroh when Zuko first fought Zhao)"

LOL first time ive read back over old posts

Okay, getting down to basic facts here

1) Azula probable does have more "potential power". She is the only firebender we've seen that has blue fire, which as the creators put it, makes it hotter than others (you can also see it cool down to red when it hits objects). Kinda similar to Liz from Hellboy movie.

2) ZUko is a VERY powerful bender. Prob is people keep comparing him to THE MOST powerful benders ie Iroh, Ozai, Azula.

3) ZUko HAS, over the course of this series, become more powerful, has developed better technique and now draws his power from a FAR healthier source than Azula's. Her's helped to cause her insanity- fear, anger and munipulation leading to paranoia and instability. Now for a "rough" fourth point, which im sure huge Azula fans will argue

4) Zuko is more experienced than Azula. As far as we know she has never left the FN before her quest for Zuko (she is a 14 yo Princess after all) or atleast not into a war zone or varied fights. Some evidence for this is her quick wooping by Katara in CROD, whilst Zuko fought Katara to Stand still. Azula is however a fast learner, so she does make up for this, but Zuko is pretty fast in this area also.

Dam i had a good fight brak down from start of my posting on this forum, but im not bothered to find it I'll try best to re-do it Zuko defeated Zhao, who was said to be a Fire Bending Master by Iroh people, give old guy some credit. He then easily has Zhao on the ropes in S1 finale, having learnt from old fights and experienced more during season.

Aang- Zuko has always put up a good fight against Aang, a guy who has incredible potential in all bending arts. Zuko had to go into the Avatar state to escape Zuko and crew in first three episodes. During the fight at the "monastry" (? the place with the perfume) he fought Aang to a stand still, but was stopped by intervention of Katara and Sokka with June's creature.

Season 2 Zuko fought Aang (and Azula) to stand still, and was only knocked out of fight because of the lack of flooring and in CROD he was again doing incredible well against Aang and had him on the ropes just as often (if not more)than Aang had with him.

IM not sure if i should count finale fight. Zuko was doing impressively there, but difference here was that Zuko was definetly not trying to hurt Aang (though he never tried to kill him b4) and Aang the same with him, but in this handicapped fight Aang was eventually victor.

Azula- Zuko couldnt land a blow before on her, a fire bending prodigy (a master), but the second time they fought Zuko was dodging her blows and Azula had to actually block his. In BR, ZUko was (as i said in blog) blocking Azula's blasts without needing to resort to using fire and, with out intending to badly injure her (he could have knocked her off during the fight, same with Sokka and his sword) whilst Azula, who wanted to injure/kill them, couldnt get a move in.

SR- ZUko was fairly even here and Azula (quoting old Obiwan) "i have the high ground". The terrain here could give us a straight fight, with both being knocked off. and in Reply to another post- Azula was closer to wall, if their positions were reversed she'd been hard placed to have reached wall. Plus surviving fall isnt part of battle

in the Finale Zuko again fought Azuala, both powered by comit (so Azula should be more powerful considering blue fire) to stand still and wasnt tired. Personally id perfered the fight to not have had Azula so unstable (how did she produce lightning???) and Zuko to have more obviously had advantage over her. Zuko deserved his victory guys, come on, she was to him what Ozai was to Aang. Still think he should have had been zapped, but AS IN THE FINALE, Azula did this because she knew she couldnt get him in a straight fight. She was apparently stable enough to strategize drawing Zuko into her fire when she aimed at Katara, so she wasnt as unstable as some make her out.

Katara- S1 Finale; at night, in an ice land, with the moon almost full, Zuko was almost even with Katara, and (imo) was really trying to get by her to Aang. As soon as Sun was up Katara was taken out easily. And in CROD they were evenly matched. With Katara supposably being able to perform blood bending anytime (WTF?) she now has advantage over him.

Finally- Zuko has gone from using brute force and powerful attacks that weakened him (first Zhao fight), to direct and small blast like ZUko (rough rhino's bow-man and lighting candles). In CROD he strategicly applied his bending into rapid attacks, charging a greater blast and uttilising whips for distance and control. In DOBS he, for first time, redirected a very powerful double lightning attack from OZai which took a second to charge.

In WAT, he was able to directly block Com-bust man attack, something Gaang were useless against, and after Fire Masters, his whole style has changed to be more fluid with him now redirecting others attacks and dissipating them (Iroh did same with Zhao's kick in first fight). HIs blasts were also larger, yet they did not weaken him as before.

Even if you dont accepts that Zuko could defeat Azula (which i think he can) he is definitely now a master

Sektos

[74]Sep 16, 2008
    to add (partially answering own q)- she was stable enough to produce lightning, something Zuko (who wasn't insane) couldnt do in S2 when he tried.

ThisCrazyGuy

[75]Sep 16, 2008

A LOT of people seem to be basing their arguments on the final battle... What people need to understand, is the fact that Azula was insane... I don't really think the way she was Firebending was what led to her mental breakdown... At all... It's the fact that her mother (Ursa) (in her views) never actually loved her, and it's the fact that her two best friends (Mai and Ty Lee) betrayed her, AND it's the fact that her father (Ozai) didn't want her to be with him in the glory hours of the comet, she felt alone, betrayed and un-wanted, her whole entire life, and this was just her showing it... Azula is the perfect Firebender, nothing about her BENDING was the reasoning for her downfall... Had she been sane, Zuko would have actually DIED in the first few shots... You definitely shouldn't count the finale... As I have stated before, Azula wasn't mentally well then, and she let her physical condition slip... She used her environment to pick up the victory, it's Zuko's fault for being stupid enough to ask for a bolt of Comet-empowered Lightning... Azula has never tried hard against Zuko (apart from her insane self in The Final)... If you can name one episode, (AGAIN, APART from The Final), where Azula found battling Zuko hard, please, tell me which one it is... She has never had to try with him in any way, shape or form... In all those battles you listed, I realised Azula has never given it her all in ANY of them... She would give Aang, Katara, Toph or anyone else, much more of a fight than Zuko ever could... Zuko has beat, AND went toe to toe with some of the best, but anything he can do, Azula can do better...

In "The Siege Of The North part 1" Zuko may have beat Katara in the end, but Zuko had training given to him on a silver platter from the start (He's Fire Nation royalty), Katara had to learn by herself, and then she got about 5 days worth of training from Master Pakku, so the reason Zuko beat her, was because he had been bending YEARS LONGER, than she was. By the end of the series, I would say Katara was the much better bender...

Axrendale, actually made a popular, intelligent thread not long ago, about, "Why Azula Loses Battles"... And he pointed out, that she could have EASILY killed every character she has ever faced (Based on the way her battles go), which is true, but what makes her lose battles is her need for a perfect victory... A perfect example he used was: In Azula and Zuko's first ever battle ("The Avatar State"), she could have just annihilated him (she was simply playing with him), but she wanted to finish him off with a flashy lightning bolt to the head... If Azula really wanted to, she could have killed him in the first quarter of the second season... But it's ALSO the fact, that Zuko always has someone there to save him (That time, it was Iroh)...

In "The Chase", Azula could have killed Zuko if she wanted to, but she wanted the Avatar more... Hell, if Aang wasn't there, she could have defeated him within seconds. Also, the fact that she able to virtually OWN The Avatar (Aang) and Zuko, and avoid all their attacks is just one of the many things that makes her supreme... And, the fact that she was able to block ALL FOUR ELEMENT attacks (and a Boomerang) with a simple bubble of Blue Fire in that same episode, is another thing that makes her superior to Zuko... Could Zuko do that? No.

In "The Boiling Rock part 2", once again, if Zuko hadn't of had someone save him, he, and everyone else, would have been acid food... She wasn't even trying in battle with him (And to be fair, she ALSO had Sokka's sword to think about), and she could have killed them all...

In "The Southern Raiders", she wasn't trying hard AT ALL, and as Axrendale pointed out, she managed to resourcefully save herself... Zuko? Zuko would have landed right next to Combustion Man's corpse, had he not been saved (like he always is) by Katara...

Those episodes are just a couple of some of the episodes where Azula has owned Zuko... There are obviously much more, but those were the first four ones that cam to my head...

No one is saying Zuko isn't powerful... He's just not in the league of Azula, Iroh or Ozai... And he's just not a POWERFUL master...

ThisCrazyGuy

[76]Sep 16, 2008
    Zuko has improved deeply, and he has came to a great stage in his time of being a Firebender, but he will never be better than Azula...

gilvatar

[77]Sep 16, 2008
    • level: 17
    I agree w/ sektos. And u refrenced one of the things that gets me & Luke (gilmore girls) into a rant. (the obiwan thing) Seriously, all you have to do to beat that is scurry up a bigger hill then you have the high ground.

ThisCrazyGuy

[78]Sep 16, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:
    I agree w/ sektos. And u refrenced one of the things that gets me & Luke (gilmore girls) into a rant. (the obiwan thing) Seriously, all you have to do to beat that is scurry up a bigger hill then you have the high ground.
    Huh?

Sektos

[79]Sep 16, 2008
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

A LOT of people seem to be basing their arguments on the final battle... What people need to understand, is the fact that Azula was insane... I don't really think the way she was Firebending was what led to her mental breakdown... At all... It's the fact that her mother (Ursa) (in her views) never actually loved her, and it's the fact that her two best friends (Mai and Ty Lee) betrayed her, AND it's the fact that her father (Ozai) didn't want her to be with him in the glory hours of the comet, she felt alone, betrayed and un-wanted, her whole entire life, and this was just her showing it... Azula is the perfect Firebender, nothing about her BENDING was the reasoning for her downfall... Had she been sane, Zuko would have actually DIED in the first few shots... You definitely shouldn't count the finale... As I have stated before, Azula wasn't mentally well then, and she let her physical condition slip... She used her environment to pick up the victory, it's Zuko's fault for being stupid enough to ask for a bolt of Comet-empowered Lightning... Azula has never tried hard against Zuko (apart from her insane self in The Final)... If you can name one episode, (AGAIN, APART from The Final), where Azula found battling Zuko hard, please, tell me which one it is... She has never had to try with him in any way, shape or form... In all those battles you listed, I realised Azula has never given it her all in ANY of them... She would give Aang, Katara, Toph or anyone else, much more of a fight than Zuko ever could... Zuko has beat, AND went toe to toe with some of the best, but anything he can do, Azula can do better...

In "The Siege Of The North part 1" Zuko may have beat Katara in the end, but Zuko had training given to him on a silver platter from the start (He's Fire Nation royalty), Katara had to learn by herself, and then she got about 5 days worth of training from Master Pakku, so the reason Zuko beat her, was because he had been bending YEARS LONGER, than she was. By the end of the series, I would say Katara was the much better bender...

Axrendale, actually made a popular, intelligent thread not long ago, about, "Why Azula Loses Battles"... And he pointed out, that she could have EASILY killed every character she has ever faced (Based on the way her battles go), which is true, but what makes her lose battles is her need for a perfect victory... A perfect example he used was: In Azula and Zuko's first ever battle ("The Avatar State"), she could have just annihilated him (she was simply playing with him), but she wanted to finish him off with a flashy lightning bolt to the head... If Azula really wanted to, she could have killed him in the first quarter of the second season... But it's ALSO the fact, that Zuko always has someone there to save him (That time, it was Iroh)...

In "The Chase", Azula could have killed Zuko if she wanted to, but she wanted the Avatar more... Hell, if Aang wasn't there, she could have defeated him within seconds. Also, the fact that she able to virtually OWN The Avatar (Aang) and Zuko, and avoid all their attacks is just one of the many things that makes her supreme... And, the fact that she was able to block ALL FOUR ELEMENT attacks (and a Boomerang) with a simple bubble of Blue Fire in that same episode, is another thing that makes her superior to Zuko... Could Zuko do that? No.

In "The Boiling Rock part 2", once again, if Zuko hadn't of had someone save him, he, and everyone else, would have been acid food... She wasn't even trying in battle with him (And to be fair, she ALSO had Sokka's sword to think about), and she could have killed them all...

In "The Southern Raiders", she wasn't trying hard AT ALL, and as Axrendale pointed out, she managed to resourcefully save herself... Zuko? Zuko would have landed right next to Combustion Man's corpse, had he not been saved (like he always is) by Katara...

Those episodes are just a couple of some of the episodes where Azula has owned Zuko... There are obviously much more, but those were the first four ones that cam to my head...

No one is saying Zuko isn't powerful... He's just not in the league of Azula, Iroh or Ozai... And he's just not a POWERFUL master...

AND aang loses/doesnt do as well becasue he doesnt try to seriously hurt or kill anyone. Your just pointing out a weakness that Azula has (and alot of villians i might ad)- she just cant finish a fight, they have to screw around first and screw themselves. Fact it this makes them less of a fighter, not an excuse for why they dont win; "oh they could have but..."

Had she been sane? She was sane when Katara wooped her CROD, she was Sane when fight Zuko in Boiling rock (NO! Zuko being saved from lift falling into lake DOES NOT COUNT! NOR does having them cut the ropes count as Azula being better fighter - IN FACT she didnt ask them to even do it)

In seige of the North it clearly showed that Katara, during the day, had easily beaten aprentices who prob had been trained for YEARS!!! And as i said, fact Zuko did so well against her in that situation really proves his capabilities

S2E1- Azula could have beaten him, BUT she didnt because she was toying with him

A thing to note about Azula; unlike Aang or Zuko, Azula aims to serious harm and kill with her blasts, so when she fires at you she expects to succed! Zuko doesnt try to harm or kill others- the number of times he would have succeded if he did notes this- AND main fact that killing Aang would have just caused him to reincarnate anyway.

Zuko was blocking said attaks in the Chase, she was not toying with him there- she was actually attacking him, where as before she didnt do anything till she knocked him down stairs. She actually considered him a threat. Zuko was dodging and blocking them. JUST BECAUSE its Azula doesnt mean she is infalibal. That isnt evidence to anything

Seriously she was trying hard in BR and Southern Raiders, no mental probs there. Both times Zuko took her on. Wasnt trying hard? Really? what proof is there of that? at no point did she have Zuko down and could have finished him if she wanted to.

And as i said- she was sane enough in finale to plan out that trick on Zuko and produce lighting.

He is a very powerful master and capable at only 16 and still has years ahead of him. The guy redirected lightning first go! and an incredible powerful one from Ozai! and even when he got hit by one in finale he still managed to redirect it away.

Im not underestimating Azula, but your seriously underestimating ZUko

ThisCrazyGuy

[80]Sep 16, 2008

No, I am simply pointing out that Azula could have killed Zuko a very long time ago, had she wanted it to be done quickly, and if Zuko didn't have someone there to save him...

Yes, she was perfectly sane when Katara bested her, and I will admit that Katara was the better bender in that battle, but Azula had never been in a fight with Katara, she didn't know Katara's weaknesses, and she seriously underestimated Katara, I don't really think we should count that battle anyway, because even though Katara was (typically) the one I was rooting for, Azula COULD have possibly gotten out of that hold, and even though I love Katara more, you must admit, there was a huge amount of Water there...

You can't just take a battle where Azula was better than Zuko, and say it doesn't count... Azula would have lived, Zuko would have died, end of discussion...

Zuko is part of the Fire Nation Royal Family... (Iroh, Ozai, Zuko and Azula), they are seriously the best Firebenders in the world, I doubt anyone could measure up to them, where as the other people with YEARS experience Katara beat, are probably average Firebenders... And it's not only that, but he blind-sided her... He caught her off-guard...

If Zuko ever DID try to match Azula strategy's, he would probably fail... He could kill a lot of people... But not Azula herself...

I never said Zuko couldn't give Azula a run for her money... I just said (And I am agreed with by Axrendale and Isabelwhatx) he will never be equal to her... She will always be his slight superior... Improvement against Azula means nothing until you actually beat her... And she was against the Avatar ASWELL... She couldn't have him getting in the way... He was like a fly that was trying to get into her eye, he was just a very annoying, threatening distraction...

IN "THE SOUTHERN RAIDERS" and "THE BOILING ROCK PART 2" Azula was NOT trying hard against Zuko at all... She also had Sokka's sword to worry about in "The Boiling Rock part 2", and in "The Southern Raiders", I don't know if you listened to me, but as Axrendale once pointed out, she resourcefully saved herself, Zuko on the other hand would have broken every single bone in his entire body...

Let's get one thing straight, Azula may have been able to produce Lightning, but that is seriously because of her talent... She was mentally unstable, so don't even think about saying she wasn't...

I'm being perfectly fair to Zuko, I like him, but in bending, he is NO Azula...