We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Zuko: Firebending Master?

TitanPredator

[161]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    Well, I was asuming that Azula would remain insane, and in terms of raw power Zuko surpasses her now. And she is probably locked up and won't gain much time to train and get stronger. But yeah, you are right. He may never surpass Ozai Iroh and Jeong Jeong. And he won't surpass Azula either if she regains her sanity.

Axrendale, I have about and hour time from the moment I post this message. So if you guys are online now we can make our post. But there is one big problem, I can't PM anyone. It just doesn't work
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isabelwhatx

[162]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    Azula has not lost her raw power, she just simply does not know how to use it. There's the difference. Azula has lost her agility, something Zuko has been training himself to perfect for years. Now they are even.

Axrendale

[163]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 10

TitanPredator wrote:
    Well, I was asuming that Azula would remain insane, and in terms of raw power Zuko surpasses her now. And she is probably locked up and won't gain much time to train and get stronger. But yeah, you are right. He may never surpass Ozai Iroh and Jeong Jeong. And he won't surpass Azula either if she regains her sanity. Axrendale, I have about and hour time from the moment I post this message. So if you guys are online now we can make our post. But there is one big problem, I can't PM anyone. It just doesn't work

I know - the pm system is messed up at the moment (just like everything around here).

I'm afraid you're slightly behind on developement - we are abandoning this RPG in favor of a new one on the Refuge, where there will be a turn or too every day, guarenteed, and things should be a lot more fun.

You should really consider joining the Refuge - it is the future

Axrendale

[164]Sep 21, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Azula has not lost her raw power, she just simply does not know how to use it. There's the difference. Azula has lost her agility, something Zuko has been training himself to perfect for years. Now they are even.

Azula has not lost her agility so much as she has lossed her finesse - her constant state of awareness and calaculation - her ability to martial all her abilities, and do as she wants with them. In her current state, all she knows how to do is attack wildly, acting on little more than instict. It doesn't exactly help either that she can barely walk. If she were to get her mental issues sorted out, well, who knows?

Axrendale

[165]Sep 21, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:

Azula has not lost her agility so much as she has lossed her finesse - her constant state of awareness and calaculation - her ability to martial all her abilities, and do as she wants with them. In her current state, all she knows how to do is attack wildly, acting on little more than instict. It doesn't exactly help either that she can barely walk. If she were to get her mental issues sorted out, well, who knows?

isabelwhatx

[166]Sep 21, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

You know what I meant I couldn't think of a good word. She still has her manipulation, though. Her trademark move

Axrendale

[167]Sep 21, 2008
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:

You know what I meant I couldn't think of a good word. She still has her manipulation, though. Her trademark move

I'm actually not sure she even really has that anymore. Zuko knocking her down was enough to shock her to some measure of reality, and it is possible that the action of gathering lightning may have helped her think somewhat, but once the moment was passed, I think she had lost that too

She needs her mind back - that is the key to Azula.

PsychoPass

[168]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 11

Well, you have to realize that Azula was always intended to be an obstacle for Zuko. Something for him to gather the strength to overcome. I can say without a shadow of doubt in my head that Zuko is supposed to be better and more powerful than Zuko wether or not she is insane. Even if we weren't shown, the fact that he is the Fire Lord alone symbolizes that he was come out on top over her and I do feel that includes Firebending skills. Remember the running theme in the show that power and perfection are overrated and that hard work and discipline is the correct path? Well, who symbolized the former all throughout season 2? Exactly. Who symbolized the latter all throughout season 1 and 2? Bingo. Despite Azula's prodigious skills I strongly believe Zuko was intended to eventually overcome her due to that running theme. The Boiling Rock, The Southern Raiders fight, and the finale duel aside, the mere fact that he is the all-powerful Fire Lord symbolizes that he was risen above her due to his hard work, perseverance, but also the theme of his story.

If you have AIM I would love to talk about this some more. I'm staring at you, Ax. ;p

Edited on 09/21/2008 12:09pm

isabelwhatx

[169]Sep 21, 2008
    It's true. But, since I'm awesome, I'm going to tell myself that she never completely lost her manipulation. I mean, she manipulated Zuko. There was no evidence after that that she ever lost it. DON'T TELL ME OTHERWISE!

Axrendale

[170]Sep 21, 2008
    PsychoPass wrote:

Well, you have to realize that Azula was always intended to be an obstacle for Zuko. Something for him to gather the strength to overcome. I can say without a shadow of doubt in my head that Zuko is supposed to be better and more powerful than Zuko wether or not she is insane. Even if we weren't shown, the fact that he is the Fire Lord alone symbolizes that he was come out on top over her and I do feel that includes Firebending skills. Remember the running theme in the show that power and perfection are overrated and that hard work and discipline is the correct path? Well, who symbolized the former all throughout season 2? Exactly. Who symbolized the latter all throughout season 1 and 2? Bingo. Despite Azula's prodigious skills I strongly believe Zuko was intended to eventually overcome her due to that running theme. The Boiling Rock, The Southern Raiders fight, and the finale duel aside, the mere fact that he is the all-powerful Fire Lord symbolizes that he was risen above her due to his hard work, perseverance, but also the theme of his story.

If you have AIM I would love to talk about this some more. I'm staring at you, Ax. ;p

Actually, not quiet. "Perfection and Power" are displayed as being inferior to happiness, and love. Perfection and power are basically obstacles that can be reached by many different paths - whether prodigal skill or good hard work. At no point in the series is it actually stated that either is superior to the other - they are equal opposites (a strong theme in the show).

So I must disagree with your running theme. To be continued...

PsychoPass

[171]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 11
    Axrendale wrote:
    PsychoPass wrote:

Actually, not quiet. "Perfection and Power" are displayed as being inferior to happiness, and love. Perfection and power are basically obstacles that can be reached by many different paths - whether prodigal skill or good hard work. At no point in the series is it actually stated that either is superior to the other - they are equal opposites (a strong theme in the show).

There's no doubt though that Zuko was to either gain power and strength (and perhaps defeat his sister) through training and hardwork. That I do is a theme of Zuko; practice and hard work. But the question is would that hard work lead to power and perfection or is it simply a different path?

Axrendale

[172]Sep 21, 2008
    PsychoPass wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:
    PsychoPass wrote:

There's no doubt though that Zuko was to either gain power and strength (and perhaps defeat his sister) through training and hardwork. That I do is a theme of Zuko; practice and hard work. But the question is would that hard work lead to power and perfection or is it simply a different path?

Power and perfection are ver generalized terms that both point to what we are all really arguing over - combat ability. There are many, many levels of combat - and Azula topped Zuko in most of them. In raw firebending alone was he her equal, and even then they were exactly that - dead equals (see TBR and TSR). Which is why the writers decided it was necessary not just to raise Zuko - but to lower Azula - by sending her insane, they lowered her combat potential, and allowe Zuko to surpass her. I maintain however, that the Pre-finale/non-insane Azula would always be able to beat Zuko.

Axrendale

[173]Sep 21, 2008

I'm going to be offline for a while - I'll see you guys later tonight.

libraman_92

[174]Sep 21, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:

why? where're you going?

gilvatar

[175]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    libraman_92 wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

why? where're you going?
    Hopefully not driving. THere are mean mini van b!tches everywhere.

libraman_92

[176]Sep 21, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:
    libraman_92 wrote:
    Axrendale wrote:

why? where're you going?
    Hopefully not driving. THere are mean mini van b!tches everywhere.

im sensing...you had a bad day?

Axrendale

[177]Sep 21, 2008
    Gilvatar, you must be a psychic. I was indeed driving. Fortunatly, I am a very good driver, if I do say so myself

gilvatar

[178]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    *gasp* I read minds! I'm Dr. Doolittle only w/ internet people

ThisCrazyGuy

[179]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 8
    TitanPredator wrote:

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Random question: Who would win? Zuko or Jeong Jeong?!

Jeong Jeong all the way. Zuko is just to arrogant and stupid (I'm sorry, but just look at his finale battle with Azula) to defeat a great master. Jeong Jeong wouldn't waste his time taunting someone. Personaly in my opinion Jeong Jeong is better than both Zuko and Azula. I think we are min interpretating the power of the kids in the series. They are very strong, but there is something about the way the Old Master are presented that makes me believe the are stronger. When Bumi told he took back his whole city by himself, not even Toph showed her arrogance (yes I think she is quite arrogant). So in my opinion Old Masters are stronger than the kids in the show. I'm not going to make the karate argument again, because that just is to long. (btw shouldn't this be in the "moster powerfull benders")

"The Most Powerful Benders thread" should die... Me and you both know that we've discussed everything about benders that should be and can be discussed... And I would honestly have to dis-agree with the Toph-arrogant claim... She's slighty cocky, but she's down to Earth and sweet, and she has absolutely nothing to prove to Bumi... The old masters, are not as good as most of the kids... The kids have had the pressure of having to save the whole world, and grow up rather quickly, for about a year now... Katara is probably better than Pakku, Toph is likely better than Bumi, Azula is better than Jeong Jeong (popular opinion)... The new/young generation of benders, are more capable, physically agile, skilled, and all out better, than the old generation... You don't ALWAYS have to be a clever old man to be a master at something in your life, the kids have proved that with hard work and intense amounts of growing up. I guess my gymnastics example in un-needed then...

ThisCrazyGuy

[180]Sep 21, 2008
    • level: 8

Azula's fourteen years old people... She has loads of time to recover, and it's not like she is going to stay insane forever... When she recovers from her illness (AND SHE WILL), she will once again be the Azula we all know and love... She will be a more developed, improved young woman... She won't be a girl anymore, she will be an all out monster, and I think she will come looking for a rematch...