We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Zuko: Firebending Master?

ThisCrazyGuy

[221]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 8
    PsychoPass wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Iroh specifically said good and evil will always be at war within Zuko... It's WHO he is, and its probably one of the reasons his father never accepted him... He can't change or get rid of it, therefore, Zuko + Lightning creation = Not going to happen... Oh, and I'm fairly sure that IROH'S words can be trusted... Ozai and Zuko have both stated that Azula was "born lucky"... Maybe she just doesn't have the burden that Zuko inherited inside her at all, I think it's the fact that (And this has been mentioned) Zuko was more spiritually connected with Roku than Azula was because of the amounts of love they both resieved from Ursa (Zuko - A lot, Azula - Obviously not that much)...

Lightning does NOT equal evil. Iroh first called it the purest expression of Firebending. It's precise and deadly in nature like Azula for obvious reasons. Until he deals with his inner turmoil he won't be able to achieve balance within his body which is a prerequisite of being able to allow the lightning to be guided out of your body. What reason do we have to believe that everything from DOBS to the Comet has not allowed him to achieve inner peace/balance? He has dealt with everything minus finding Ursa (which he eventually did according to the epilogue scene) that created that inner turmoil that was his theme from season 2.
    When did I say Lightning was evil? I may have wrote something that makes you think I said or thought it was evil, but I have always knew it wasn't... I am saying that Zuko will always be having battles inside of him, its his natural inheritence... Unless Iroh was wrong (Which he obviously wasn't)... I am fairly sure Iroh was taking into account whatever would have happened in the future...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Axrendale

[222]Sep 25, 2008
    • level: 10
    PsychoPass wrote:

Dear Mike and Bryan.

We of the fandom are quite perplexed in regards to a certain topic of interest. Please explain the paradox that is Azula's lightning creation during the finale when she was clearly in no state of emotional OR spiritual peace. It greatly clashes with Iroh's philosophy of lightning in "Bitter Work." Also, if you are willing please clarify what exactly Iroh meant by his words to Zuko about his heritage with Roku and Sozin in "The Avatar and the Fire Lord" as well as why Azula is apparently devoid of it.

Sincerely, Fandom

Seriously, though. We can only speculate and no matter how much fanwank is created we'll never know. Not because the creators haven't said anything but in the context of the show it didn't seem to mean anything! 2 and a half seasons of developing why Zuko was/is the way he was/is just to be thrown out the window because "It's In the Blood?" That's preposterous. Not only does it contradict Zuko's story arch but then you get into the twilight zone of why it doesn't affect Azula.

Actually, I disagree with you on one point there. I think that Azula was spiritually at peace. Emotionally, she had completely lost it. But spiritually, she was pretty much settled.

Whether this remains the case remains to be scene of course, in the wake of her upsetting deposition.

Antiyonder

[223]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 39
    To start with, I don't really see the problem of giving him spiritual conflict from his ancestors as spiritually is a big part of the series. And given the existence of the Fire Sages, it seems the Fire Nation have placed spiritually as something important.

Axrendale wrote:

I quote Iroh:

"Good and evil will always be at war inside of you Zuko - it is your nature, your legacy".

Zuko will, according to Iroh (whose advice can usually be trusted), always have the internal conflict that prevents lightning creation. He's going to have to stick with plain old firebending.

While that played a part of the conflict, I believe the main source of the conflict was his lack of direction. His actions of the first two seasons were based on what he thought he wanted. As of Nightmares & Daydreams, he knows what he wants.

isabelwhatx

[224]Sep 27, 2008
    • level: 14
    Antiyonder wrote:
    To start with, I don't really see the problem of giving him spiritual conflict from his ancestors as spiritually is a big part of the series. And given the existence of the Fire Sages, it seems the Fire Nation have placed spiritually as something important.

Axrendale wrote:

I quote Iroh:

"Good and evil will always be at war inside of you Zuko - it is your nature, your legacy".

Zuko will, according to Iroh (whose advice can usually be trusted), always have the internal conflict that prevents lightning creation. He's going to have to stick with plain old firebending.

While that played a part of the conflict, I believe the main source of the conflict was his lack of direction. His actions of the first two seasons were based on what he thought he wanted. As of Nightmares & Daydreams, he knows what he wants.

Very, very true. However, that small part (his ancestry) keeps him from ever hoping to produce lightening. You have to be COMPLETELY in spiritual peace in order to bend lightening, not just mostly.

Sektos

[225]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 10
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Antiyonder wrote:

Axrendale wrote:

I quote Iroh:

Very, very true. However, that small part (his ancestry) keeps him from ever hoping to produce lightening. You have to be COMPLETELY in spiritual peace in order to bend lightening, not just mostly.

But as been said thats whats so confusing- in Fire Masters ZUko was at peace, and had given up his anger as his fuel, and accepted a task that he doesnt 2nd guess and have misgivings about- to end the war and bring peace.

ThisCrazyGuy

[226]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 8
    Sektos wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Antiyonder wrote:

Axrendale wrote:

I quote Iroh:

I think he was mentally and emotionally at peace, but I don't think he was ever spiritually at peace...

But as been said thats whats so confusing- in Fire Masters ZUko was at peace, and had given up his anger as his fuel, and accepted a task that he doesnt 2nd guess and have misgivings about- to end the war and bring peace.

Antiyonder

[227]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 39
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Antiyonder wrote:

Axrendale wrote:

I quote Iroh:

Thing is that before, he was unaware of the source of his conflict. He also thought that his father and grandfathers (Sozin and Azulon) were right in their actions. Now he knows why he is conflict and understands the stakes. And as they say, understanding the source of conflict/problem is a big step in dealing with it.