We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Official Character Relationship Discussion 4

Sokka ship?

Chris142857

[141]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 3
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:
    Taang is nasty. Who agrees?!

As a Kataang fan, I still think it makes more sense than Zutara.

I meant to say Tokka. Zutara makes sense. I actually think Katara will die at the end of the show. Zutara does make sense. Aang is not 13 years old yet. And don't say that "age is just a number", because it's more than a number. Kataang is like saying it's okay to have a 112 year old date a 14 year old. Oh, wait, that is Kataang.

He's more 12 than he is 112. 12 and 14. Oh no, 2 years difference. Big whoop.

As much as I can see, you can't come up with anything other than Crossroads to support Zutara, so you're just coming up with the dumbest reasons for Kataang to "not make sense". Really, as of now, Crossroads is the only thing remotely close to Zutara that you can use. Kataang is in nearly every episode. And I don't think the writers would waste so much time developing Kataang just to chuck it. If they were going to chuck it, why waste run time on it?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

zuko_261

[142]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 5
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

I meant to say Tokka. Zutara makes sense. I actually think Katara will die at the end of the show. Zutara does make sense. Aang is not 13 years old yet. And don't say that "age is just a number", because it's more than a number. Kataang is like saying it's okay to have a 112 year old date a 14 year old. Oh, wait, that is Kataang.

As much as I can see, you can't come up with anything other than Crossroads to support Zutara, so you're just coming up with the dumbest reasons for Kataang to "not make sense". Really, as of now, Crossroads is the only thing remotely close to Zutara that you can use. Kataang is in nearly every episode. And I don't think the writers would waste so much time developing Kataang just to chuck it. If they were going to chuck it, why waste run time on it?

I agree with you. But sukki and sokka developed in 2 episodes. with 7 episodes left anything can happen. but i think kataang will have a bigger chance. As long as there is no Maiko im fine.

snowprincess456

[143]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 15
    zuko_261 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

I agree with you. But sukki and sokka developed in 2 episodes. with 7 episodes left anything can happen. but i think kataang will have a bigger chance. As long as there is no Maiko im fine.

suki and sokka have 3 episodes....just sayin...lol
    but they do have a pretty good chance of happening unless Suki is dead..which just might be a problem for george to happen...

gnomeboy_1616

[144]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 3
    i think they should bring Jun back and then maybe in the end there will be a juko... unfortunatly i think it is too late for that

Spacerac

[145]Feb 19, 2008
    snowprincess456 wrote:
    zuko_261 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

suki and sokka have 3 episodes....just sayin...lol
    but they do have a pretty good chance of happening unless Suki is dead..which just might be a problem for george to happen...
    The reason all the Sokka ships happened quickly and not Kataang is because Kataang is the main couple of the series whereas the Sokka couples are not.

Spacerac

[146]Feb 19, 2008
    Zutara fans/shipping poll participators rejoice! Or not. I found the one thread poll on a different forum where Kataang actually lost to Zutara.

WaterLily16

[147]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 6

kohbumi

anyone???

esquisofrenic

[148]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    WaterLily16 wrote:

kohbumi

anyone???

eeh no that is nasty .

snowprincess456

[149]Feb 19, 2008
    esquisofrenic wrote:
    WaterLily16 wrote:

kohbumi

anyone???

eeh no that is nasty .

eh..why not...There has been worse....
    and is Koh a guy or girl?

esquisofrenic

[150]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 18
    snowprincess456 wrote:
    esquisofrenic wrote:
    WaterLily16 wrote:

kohbumi

anyone???

eeh no that is nasty .

eh..why not...There has been worse....
    and is Koh a guy or girl?
    KOH is an a very old insect iuuuuwww X_X

AnimeAngel90

[151]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 8
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

Ok, seriously, I cannot believe some people are still using the ages as an argument. There's so much better convincing stuff we can use!

As for the whole Kataang development thing, a video on youtube gave me this idea (even though I will explain it really really badly ). Every hero needs a weakness, and Katara is Aang's weakness. So if the creators do 'chuck' kataang, they weren't necessarily wasting time on it. They were showing how Aang is human like everyone else and does have a weakness. As for why they developed the relationship so much, maybe they did it like that so Aang's choice (the girl or the world) would be harder and more emotional? *shrugs*

Go zutarian bias

Another thing someone pointed out to, Yue is kind of a foreshadowing for Aang (at least, foreshadowing for Zutarians for Aang). She fell in love with Sokka, yet she ultimately had to give him up to do her duty. He was her 'weakness', the one thing that could have kept her from her duty (even though he didn't really, as she did it in about 5 seconds, but still, think about it theoretically ). Yet, in the end (/5 seconds) she chose her duty over Sokka's protests. Again worded really badly, but just something to ponder. Tear it apart all you like by going 'duh, what makes you think Yue is foreshadowing? Stupid girl', but its just something interesting this person noted. So yeah, ponder it, whether you are Kataanger or Zutarian. (I suppose it could support either side really).

and KohBumi? That's one crackship that is just.....eww @_@

tomtitan

[152]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 19
    AnimeAngel90 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

Ok, seriously, I cannot believe some people are still using the ages as an argument. There's so much better convincing stuff we can use!

As for the whole Kataang development thing, a video on youtube gave me this idea (even though I will explain it really really badly ). Every hero needs a weakness, and Katara is Aang's weakness. So if the creators do 'chuck' kataang, they weren't necessarily wasting time on it. They were showing how Aang is human like everyone else and does have a weakness. As for why they developed the relationship so much, maybe they did it like that so Aang's choice (the girl or the world) would be harder and more emotional? *shrugs*

Go zutarian bias

Another thing someone pointed out to, Yue is kind of a foreshadowing for Aang (at least, foreshadowing for Zutarians for Aang). She fell in love with Sokka, yet she ultimately had to give him up to do her duty. He was her 'weakness', the one thing that could have kept her from her duty (even though he didn't really, as she did it in about 5 seconds, but still, think about it theoretically ). Yet, in the end (/5 seconds) she chose her duty over Sokka's protests. Again worded really badly, but just something to ponder. Tear it apart all you like by going 'duh, what makes you think Yue is foreshadowing? Stupid girl', but its just something interesting this person noted. So yeah, ponder it, whether you are Kataanger or Zutarian. (I suppose it could support either side really).

katara isn't aang's weakness, katara is his strength, aang said it himself (albeit in a daydream), katara is what he's fighting for, she gives him something to believe in. in 'the desert', his love for katara is what brought him out of the state, she calms him down when he goes glowy, and even makes him go glowy occasionally ('the avatar state').
    so katara isn't his achilles' heel, she's his winged sandals! (lulz, mythology references)

Murellus

[153]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 9

You'd have to be blind to miss the Zukaang in these pictures:

Edited on 02/20/2008 7:01am

Spacerac

[154]Feb 20, 2008
    tomtitan wrote:
    AnimeAngel90 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:
    ozai890 wrote:
    Chris142857 wrote:

ozai890 wrote:

Go zutarian bias

katara isn't aang's weakness, katara is his strength, aang said it himself (albeit in a daydream), katara is what he's fighting for, she gives him something to believe in. in 'the desert', his love for katara is what brought him out of the state, she calms him down when he goes glowy, and even makes him go glowy occasionally ('the avatar state').
    so katara isn't his achilles' heel, she's his winged sandals! (lulz, mythology references)
    Dang, I almost agreed with Anime Angel about Katara being Aang's weakness!

WiseLad

[155]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 14
    people seem to

1- compare their ages to the CURRENT world thinking

the world of the 4 nations is not like our world, and they don't have kids having to stay at school till at least 17(high school) and maybe a few years more in college, and we have kids that are ON THEIR OWN, none of them older than 16, without any adult supervision, traveling around the world without anyone calling "social services", the closest to that was when Aang was called to go to school at the headband episode, and THAT WAS ONLY because he was wearing the uniform

2- put their relationships in the context of marriage or "making out" right now

almost all of them if not all are not ready in the sense of being of a marriageable age which is at a minimum 16(established with Yue in the last 3 episodes of book 1)

George close but not cigar, Sokka is 15, Suki is unknown, some say 15, other say 16

Maizu very close as Zuko is 16 but Mai is almost 16

Zutara not ready, as Zuko is 16 and katara 14

Kataang not ready as Aang is 12 and Katara 14

Tokka not ready as Sokka is 15 and toph is 12

Taang not ready as both Aang and Toph are 12

Yuekka close, as Yue was 16 and Sokka is 15

Ty Lee is 15 or 14

Azula is for sure 14, maybe 15

Haru is unknown, but most probably 16 or 15, otherwise we talking him being the eldest of the current Gaang

the Duke is 8

Teo is 13

Jet was somewhere between 14 and 16

most minor characters are at most 16 but they seem to be 1 or 2 yrs younger(Jin, Song), sometimes clearly younger(as Meng and On Ji)

Aang at 20 and Katara at 22 (8 yrs in the future)would be ok to get married, and so would be Toph at 18 and Sokka at 21 (6 years in the future) or Zuko at 20 and Katara at 18 (4 years in the future) or Zuko at 19 and Mai at 18 (3 years in the future)

being GF and BF are not the same as Engaged

BTW

On Ji is either 12 or 13, (same class as Kuzon Fire) and has a boyfriend (Hide who is probably 14 or 15), that cancels the thinking of 12/13 being too young to have a relationship, and AT LEAST puts the stamp of approval if Toph ends with either Zuko or Sokka(for those who think the man HAS TO BE THE ELDEST )

WiseLad

[157]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 14
    the Guru said to avatar

"It deals with pure cosmic energy and is blocked by earthly attachment. Meditate on what attaches you to this world."

than aang thinks of he and katara getting closer, almost kissing

than Guru says

"Now, let all of those attachments go. Let them flow down the river. Forgotten."

Aang: (startled) What? Why would I let go of Katara? I...I..I love her.

Guru Pathik: (reasonably) Learn to let her go, or you cannot let the pure cosmic energy flow in from the universe.

than this is what becomes interesting

Aang: I'm sorry, but I can't let go of Katara.

Guru Pathik: (calmly) Aang, to master the Avatar State, you must open all the chakras. Surrender yourself.

Aang: (reluctantly) Okay, I'll try.

(Aang focuses his concentration. Inside his mind, we see mountains beneath a starry sky. The heavens begin to spin with great speed, the stars blurring streaks that disappear behind the mountains. An image of Katara appears, and drifts back toward the horizon to finally vanish with a twinkle of light. The heavens cease to whirl.)

Guru Pathik: (voice-over) Now, think of your attachments and let them go.

(An image of Katara appears, and drifts back toward the horizon to finally vanish with a twinkle of light. The sky ceases to spin.)

Guru Pathik: (voice-over) Let the pure cosmic energy flow.

Looking up into the stars, we see an aurora of light. Aang is seen floating in space above the planet, and the aurora solidifies into a radiant bridge beneath his feet. Turning from the world below, Aang sees a massive entity standing above snaking path. It is a spectral figure of Aang himself, the tattoos and eyes shining with the light of the avatar state. Aang sets off carefully towards it, mouth open in awe. As he nears the feet of the hovering apparition, his own tattoos begin to shine with light. The towering, spectral Aang descends, a sphere of light shimmering between its fingers. The Avatar is enclosed within this shell, but suddenly he is distracted by a cry of distress. Aang sees a vision of Katara chained to a wall, demanding to be freed. He leaps from the hands of the apparition, and the sphere of light vanishes. Behind him, the great entity fades from sight, as he rushes back down the path. It too begins to fade rapidly, until it drops him to plunge screaming toward the world. Aang suddenly starts from his meditative trance.

Aang: (rising in alarm) Katara is in danger! I have to go.

(Aang turns and races away, sliding down the roof the tower)

Guru Pathik: (calling after him) No Aang! By choosing attachment, you have locked the chakra! (Aang draws to a stop) If you leave now you won't be able to go into the Avatar State at all!
    ---------------------------

notice that he did choose to go to Katara, and that on the next episode he was able to almost reach the 7th chakra again even when katara was physically present, so it was not locked at that moment despite what the Guru said, what locked it was his near death thanks to Azula which I will show later

the mistake a lot of us make is to think that letting go is something permanent, actually is a momentary thing WHEN THE AVATAR wants to go avatar state, forget the earthly attachments while reaching for the cosmic energies, after his duties are done, than he can go back to his normal life.

in COD

======================
    Aang wearily picks himself up and looks around. Many Dai Li agents jump down from the cliffs above, forming long rows behind Azula and Zuko. Katara gains consciousness just as the Dai Li surround her. Katara bends the water from the channel and forms a ring of water around her. The water sprouts eight tentacles as she enters the octopus stance. Aang enters his fighting stance and prepares to face his many opponents. He then looks to Katara, who is desperately fighting off the Dai Li agents.)

Aang: There's too many.

(Aang remembers what Guru Pathik told him at the Eastern Air Temple.)

Guru Pathik: (in Aang's memory) The only way, is to let her go.
    Aang: (sadly) I'm sorry Katara.

======================

notice that he left Katara BY HERSELF, NOT "I don't love you anymore"

------------------------

Aang turns around and earthbends several crystals out of the ground to form a tent over him. Aang sits down and begins meditating. We enter inside of Aang's mind, where he once again comes face to face with the avatar spirit residing inside him, high above the world and surrounded by the starry heavens. The avatar spirit surrounds Aang in a swirling orb between its hands, and Aang's arrow glows. Shift back to the physical world. Aang's arrow begins to glow here as well, illuminating the crystals that surround him. Zuko and the Dai Li are frightened but also enchanted by this light. Finally, Aang opens his eyes, which glow with great intensity. An incredible explosion of spiritual power destroys the crystals. The Dai Li agents shield themselves from the blast. Aang rises from the ground in a bright pillar of cosmic light. Katara looks up at Aang, hope returning to her. Aang levitates in the air, until suddenly, a bolt of lightning strikes his body. Cut to an extreme close up of Azula's eye where the image of Aang writhing in pain is reflected.

-----------------------

we can see that he focused in the task at hand, and let Katara defend herself, and ALMOST reached the 7th chakra UNTIL Azula attacked him

so basically

He let go his earthly attachments while deciding to go to meditate in order to reach avatar state

but he didn't give up Katara becoming his wife in the future (if she returned his feelings)

Jancro-Liva

[158]Feb 20, 2008

WiseLad wrote:
    even Mai got into action about Zutara (Just Kidding Avrura)

No offense, but don't photoshop anything. Ever again.

Jancro-Liva

[159]Feb 20, 2008
    Edited on 02/20/2008 7:46am

tomtitan

[160]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 19
    Jancro-Liva wrote:
    wtf? yur wrong! it's sexual tension! can't you see how we're supposed to think katara hates him with a passion, because the creators have been planning zutara from the beginning?
    ZUTARA WILL PREVAIL YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111oneexclamationmark