We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Official "iStart A Fan War" Episode Discussion

teenj12

[181]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 26
    Canada_Michael wrote:

saylavee wrote:

@Ulrich, sorry I couldnt make your livestream thing. I got home halfway through and was too tired to watch it then

Okay lemme start off with the Gibby/Guppy/Grandpa thing. After the first part of it I was already annoyed and fast forwarded it (DVR FTW!!) It was pointless, Guppy was annoying, the grandpa had no point, and Gibby just isnt Gibby anymore

Next up is Spencer vs Jack Black!! As a former World of Warcraft player myself (if you guys havent figured this out yet, I'm a nerd, deal with it) I couldnt help but laugh. I was never a hardcore player of it, but I've seen hardcore players. Like when I first started out playing it, I remember asking people what ___ is or how to do ___ and they'd do exactly what Freddie and Spencer did in the beginning, except over ingame texts.

Also their chants were hilarious, and so were the people in the background. It was epic. Epic win. OH! and Remember during one of the transition scenes when you see like a big room and you see alleys and a signs that said 700. I think that was a shot from the Dealers Room at ComicCon which I went to, and THERE WAS NO ROOM TO BREATHE IN THERE!!! :O Or it couldve been from some other convention, but it looked like the one from comiccon.

Now for the main plot!! First off, it was nice seeing Stacey, Eric, Craig and Gavin again. And the continuity with Stacey's lisp thing. I also liked the Adu guy. xD

First off the main characters had no funny lines in my opinion. I was confused by the sandpaper thing, and the sailor hat thing was cute. The Fatshake was too...expected and Carly was just not funny. And her speech was corny. Hey Dan, if you didnt want iCarly to be about shipping and only about comedy, then why didja make episodes like iKiss, iSYL, iSP, and iTTK and not resolve them? You dug the hole so deal with it (I had a good metaphor for here, but its hard to explain?)

The crazy shippers did make me literally laugh out loud though. You just cant stop them. It also made me giggle about how Dan made the Creddiers seem a bit more crazy with the PearPad and attacking Adam (who is gorgeous btw) and such. The Seddiers just went along with the riots and that one guy who randomly screamed out SEDDIE!!! Okay...THAT is true. Seddiers DO sometimes only posts SEDDIE!!!!!! most of the time. But not all fans are crazy like that, like someone said above, if we actually did all go into a conference room it wouldve been calm.

Overall...hmmm 7 or 8/10??

LOL exactly.

Dan had a part in building the shipper monster, & now that he thinks the monster is getting out of control he wants to cage it. Good luck trying to stuff the Genie back in the bottle . If at this point the show moves closer to what it was the first season I don't think it would work. What was funny & cute when they were younger would just be awkward now that they are older.

See, this is the problem with almost all iCarly fans. You think the main point of this show is who Freddie will end up with. Its not, the shipping/seddie/creddie thing is just side stuff. The show is about the comedy, but seddie/creddie just adds to the shows appeal. Even in episodes that have nothing to do with shipping, which is most episodes, people are still shipping for some reason.Dan merely made the episode for the fun of poking fun at fans of the show and other online shows. Sorry for venting, but this is just how I feel.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

hardcorefakes

[182]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 7
    teenj12 wrote:
    Canada_Michael wrote:

saylavee wrote:

@Ulrich, sorry I couldnt make your livestream thing. I got home halfway through and was too tired to watch it then

Okay lemme start off with the Gibby/Guppy/Grandpa thing. After the first part of it I was already annoyed and fast forwarded it (DVR FTW!!) It was pointless, Guppy was annoying, the grandpa had no point, and Gibby just isnt Gibby anymore

Next up is Spencer vs Jack Black!! As a former World of Warcraft player myself (if you guys havent figured this out yet, I'm a nerd, deal with it) I couldnt help but laugh. I was never a hardcore player of it, but I've seen hardcore players. Like when I first started out playing it, I remember asking people what ___ is or how to do ___ and they'd do exactly what Freddie and Spencer did in the beginning, except over ingame texts.

Also their chants were hilarious, and so were the people in the background. It was epic. Epic win. OH! and Remember during one of the transition scenes when you see like a big room and you see alleys and a signs that said 700. I think that was a shot from the Dealers Room at ComicCon which I went to, and THERE WAS NO ROOM TO BREATHE IN THERE!!! :O Or it couldve been from some other convention, but it looked like the one from comiccon.

Now for the main plot!! First off, it was nice seeing Stacey, Eric, Craig and Gavin again. And the continuity with Stacey's lisp thing. I also liked the Adu guy. xD

First off the main characters had no funny lines in my opinion. I was confused by the sandpaper thing, and the sailor hat thing was cute. The Fatshake was too...expected and Carly was just not funny. And her speech was corny. Hey Dan, if you didnt want iCarly to be about shipping and only about comedy, then why didja make episodes like iKiss, iSYL, iSP, and iTTK and not resolve them? You dug the hole so deal with it (I had a good metaphor for here, but its hard to explain?)

The crazy shippers did make me literally laugh out loud though. You just cant stop them. It also made me giggle about how Dan made the Creddiers seem a bit more crazy with the PearPad and attacking Adam (who is gorgeous btw) and such. The Seddiers just went along with the riots and that one guy who randomly screamed out SEDDIE!!! Okay...THAT is true. Seddiers DO sometimes only posts SEDDIE!!!!!! most of the time. But not all fans are crazy like that, like someone said above, if we actually did all go into a conference room it wouldve been calm.

LOL exactly.

Dan had a part in building the shipper monster, & now that he thinks the monster is getting out of control he wants to cage it. Good luck trying to stuff the Genie back in the bottle . If at this point the show moves closer to what it was the first season I don't think it would work. What was funny & cute when they were younger would just be awkward now that they are older.

See, this is the problem with almost all iCarly fans. You think the main point of this show is who Freddie will end up with. Its not, the shipping/seddie/creddie thing is just side stuff. The show is about the comedy, but seddie/creddie just adds to the shows appeal. Even in episodes that have nothing to do with shipping, which is most episodes, people are still shipping for some reason.Dan merely made the episode for the fun of poking fun at fans of the show and other online shows. Sorry for venting, but this is just how I feel.
    why start something and not finish?

think about it.

teenj12

[183]Nov 20, 2010
    hardcorefakes wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:
    Canada_Michael wrote:

saylavee wrote:

LOL exactly.

think about it.

I'll restate. The shipping/seddie/creddie thing is just side stuff. The show is about the comedy, but seddie/creddie just adds to the shows appeal. Dan will obviously continue the shipping stuff, as it adds to the show's appeal, but shipping is not the main point of the show. The comedy is.

LampEC

[184]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 5

teenj12 wrote:
    I'll restate. The shipping/seddie/creddie thing is just side stuff. The show is about the comedy, but seddie/creddie just adds to the shows appeal. Dan will obviously continue the shipping stuff, as it adds to the show's appeal, but shipping is not the main point of the show. The comedy is.

It's a nice idea when the show is super super hilarious and especially when writers and advertisers don't hype up relationships to get us to watch. I wish it was about comedy more but this episode wasn't as funny when it came to the main characters.

The Spencer and Jack Black thing however was hilarious. I think that if you took away all the other stuff and extended that plot; the whole episode would have been like 100/10.

I think Carly and Adam are cute though.

Canada_Michael

[185]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 10
    teenj12 wrote:
    hardcorefakes wrote:
    teenj12 wrote:
    Canada_Michael wrote:

saylavee wrote:

LOL exactly.

think about it.

I actually don't think the shipping was the main part of the show at the beginning but I think it is now. All the really funny stuff involved Spencer & Jack Black's character. The other players were IMO boring and totally predictable, especially Sam & Carly. Carly & a guy other then Freddie that in the end doesn't work out has been done before, Sam & her abnormal love of food has been beaten to death. Burning a pickle not really funny, & the Gibby stuff speaks for itself.

In my view the true comedy of the show has always been provided by Spencer & his interaction with the cast. Carly, Sam & Freddie amongst themselves have never really been that funny IMO.

jegolas1973

[186]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 22

I noticed crossover characters from Dan Schneider's other shows: Gavin, Craig, Eric from Drake and Josh: Stacy from Zoey 101.

Edited on 11/20/2010 1:52pm

NegiSpongie

[187]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 20
    Did anybody else noticed that on Danwarp's live journal, he had a topic asking people to comment on what they think of the episode. While there were some good comments on those who liked it, there were also comments on people who didn't like it and critisism about how they were let down about how it was; and for those comments, Dan just deleted them. This apparently angered a bunch of watchers and they commented on the topic about that which of course Dan deleted also to the point where he just deleted the entire topic.

RomanZolanski

[188]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 12
    For anyone that lives outside of the US (like me), here's the website to watch it: http://www.megavideo.com/?v=RK67YTBW

futuramarama

[189]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 37
    dan don't like criticism does he

LampEC

[190]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 5

Canada_Michael wrote:
    In my view the true comedy of the show has always been provided by Spencer & his interaction with the cast. Carly, Sam & Freddie amongst themselves have never really been that funny IMO.

Well I agree with most of your post before this. I do think Spencer is really really funny but we've seen the iCarly "gang" be funny without him. I used to love the iCarly segments and all their antics with each other. I don't know what happened...as far as Dan deleting comments. I don't know what to think.

HaydenAvery

[191]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 21
    Great episode. Spencer vs Jack Black + Gibby's grandpa + characters from Drake and Josh and Zoey 101 + Creddie vs Seddie war= awesomesauce.

vanillacupcakes

[192]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 16

^ I agree with Lamp. Spencer is hilarious, but so is the rest of the cast. It just happens in this particular episode they played the sane ones trying to calm down the crazy shippers. That is probably the reason I did not like the episode as much as I could have. They were too busy playing peacemaker to have comedic moments. In other episodes they are funny. They can be funny without being awkward. IMO the humor is more mature.

I agree with teenj too. The relationships are important, but Dan's intentional focus is the comedy. Look at all the episodes that don't involve any relationship development whatsoever. Some people are too busy trying to search for shipping moments that they don't see the comedy. They get too worked up and aren't enjoying the show like they could. For example, in iSYL Seddie fans were too upset over Creddie that they didn't notice there were some very funny moments during the paintball war. Yes, Dan fueled the fire by egging on ships in his blogs and making open ended questions involving Creddie and Seddie. Shippping made the show so popular. However, the shipping is just a side. If it were a big part of the show, there would be more development and more drama. People can watch iCarly for whatever reason they want. If it is your focus or the reason why you like iCarly, that's fine. It's just that Dan's priority is the comedy, and it shouldn't be ignored.

Long story short, I still think iCarly is funny. iGet Pranky is probably my personal favorite. I think this season is funnier than season 1.

Canada_Michael

[193]Nov 20, 2010

LampEC wrote:

Canada_Michael wrote:

Well I agree with most of your post before this. I do think Spencer is really really funny but we've seen the iCarly "gang" be funny without him. I used to love the iCarly segments and all their antics with each other. I don't know what happened...as far as Dan deleting comments. I don't know what to think.

I agree the gang without Spencer can be funny, & have been in the past. I find Spencer to be consistently funny whereas the others are hit or miss. I find Freddie, Carly & Sam better at the dramatic parts, or aiding others to be funny by being the straight man.

As far as deleting comments if you aren't prepared to take the bad with the good then it's best not to ask the question.

Edited on 11/20/2010 6:30pm

xtinemachine90

[194]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 2

Canada_Michael wrote:

LampEC wrote:

Canada_Michael wrote:

I agree the gang without Spencer can be funny, & have been in the past. I find Spencer to be consistently funny whereas the others are hit or miss. I find Freddie, Carly & Sam better at the dramatic parts, or aiding others to be funny by being the straight man.

As far as deleting comments if you aren't prepared to take the bad with the good then it's best not to ask the question.

Agreed, Spencer is hysterical all the time. While the others I may laugh at every now and then. But I always laugh the most at Spencer. Jerry is just a comical genius and makes the funniest faces. I swear I'd still laugh at him even if I watched the show on mute!

teenj12

[195]Nov 20, 2010
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    Look at all the episodes that don't involve any relationship development whatsoever.

Exactly. Look at iPsycho. iPsycho was probably one of the best episodes of iCarly and it didn't involve relationships.

vanillacupcakes

[196]Nov 20, 2010
    Oh okay, I misunderstood. Yes, Spencer is the only one who is always funny. He can deliver any line and make it sound hilarious. The iCarly trio is often funny but not all the time. It mostly depends on the plot and the lines given to them.

alirk

[197]Nov 20, 2010
    • level: 22

Two words: major letdown

KJLwriter

[198]Nov 21, 2010
    • level: 8
    I really liked the episode. It was good. I kind of knew before the episode premiered that nothing would come out of it. No relationship, I mean. I was okay with that. The show was basically dealing with the Seddie fans and Creddie fans fighting. Webicon is like the actual Comic-con convention thing. Spencer's part of the show was funny. Gibby's....hmmm...I don't know. It was okay. It wasn't horrible. I just feel that Dan is just putting Gibby into the show now that he is a regular. He's just finding some plot to stick him into. Anyway, I liked the episode. It was good. Fatshake.....that made me laugh.

vanillacupcakes

[199]Nov 21, 2010

KJLwriter wrote:
    I really liked the episode. It was good. I kind of knew before the episode premiered that nothing would come out of it. No relationship, I mean. I was okay with that.

I think everybody knew that no couple would come out of it(except me because I like being delusional and in denial) but the problem of what people didn't expect was the "speech" at the end. Shippers feel insulted that they are preached to calm down and to enjoy things the "right way". The hate against the ending is crazyyyy.

On a side note, I wonder what the ratings for this episode was. Do you think it beat iPsycho's ratings?

Canada_Michael

[200]Nov 21, 2010

If anything the speech at the end rubbed me the wrong way. At the end of the day I don't care if anyone gets together, I prefer Creddie but if it doesn't happen oh well . It rubbed me the wrong way because the possibility of Creddie has been hinted at as a strong possibility, & now they are telling people they were wrong that it's mainly about the comedy. So as an example iSYL was more about Carly getting chased off by Freddie's mom after she caught them kissing, then the actual kiss itself. Or the end of the school dance episode where Carly & Freddie dance was just two friends sharing a dance, & that's why Sam didn't walk in & interrupt them. Thank goodness for the speech or I would've continued to misinterpret things, its mainly about the split pea soup & the random happy birthday's.