We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Official "iStart A Fan War" Episode Discussion

sockstar

[241]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 12
    kurain wrote:

sockstar wrote:
    I realised something after watching the episode (horrible episode, not funny at all) that really annoyed me. The fans keep asking about 'dating'. It's all "Freddie must be dating Sam." or "Are you and Freddie dating?" Dating. Just because someone isn't dating someone, doesn't mean they might not have feelings. To borrow from one of the shows that Dan brings up a lot, if you asked Ross and Rachel if they were dating, they'd say no, but if you went and asked Ross if he loved Rachel, he'd say yes! There's no way in hell the fans would have restricted their questions to _just_ dating. They would have point blank asked Freddie if he still had feelings for Carly. Not "Are you and Carly dating?" Or whatever they said. Especially after Sam's "Carly and Freddie are deeply in love." They'd go "Well, they deny dating, but Sam says they love each other, let's ask about that." Then say "Freddie, do you have feelings for Carly." Or "Sam.. do you like Freddie?" or "Sam, are you insults, beatings and general aggressive behaviour towards Freddie to hide the fact you're in love with him?" It's annoying, because it's yet another non-concrete ship tease because no matter what happens, Dan can turn around and say "They never said they didn't _like_ each other, just that they weren't dating." Ugh.

And there we see between the lines. Good catch. Wink

Then again, it isn't as though fans of the iCarly universe would "know" about iSYL, iKiss, or iTTK .

They should have known about iSYL. They kissed in public, and people would've known that Carly and Freddie were together and especially that Freddie saved her life. Using those pictures from the pear-pad are one thing, but someone would've brought up the fact that Freddie would die for Carly.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

RemDiamond

[242]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 5
    I don't think the fans of icarly would know about ISYL because it may not have ever made it to the show. I know they were filming for the show but I'd say since Freddie got hit by a truck, they didn't show it on icarly. The fans should know that Freddie likes Carly. They should have asked if he still likes her and/or whether she's ever given him hope to not give up, reciprocated, ect...

saylavee

[243]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 18
    I dont think anyone outside of their school or Seattle knew about iSYL. If you think about it, Freddie got hurt after one webshow. When the show ended, it looked like they may have been preparing for another. In which case everything was resolved/broken up and there was no need to tell them. The only ones who knew they were dating were the kids in their school, and possible only people in Seattle knew that Freddie saved her life. GEEZ I'm going way too into this.

Canada_Michael

[244]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 10

Why would anyone in the audience expect them to confirm they were dating even if they were? The web show is one thing their personal lives are another matter, and something they wouldn't want to share with fans at a convention IMO.

sockstar

[245]Nov 28, 2010
    They would have fans of the show at the school surely.

vanillacupcakes

[246]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 16

^Well the people at school weren't at Webicon, and it's only the people at Webicon who are all insane nerds. The fans of iCarly at school probably aren't such freaks.

People should know about iSYL anyways though since Freddie blogged about it on iCarly.com. He said one of the good things about being hit by a taco truck was that Carly kissed him.

kurain

[247]Nov 28, 2010
    • level: 4

vanillacupcakes wrote:

^Well the people at school weren't at Webicon, and it's only the people at Webicon who are all insane nerds. The fans of iCarly at school probably aren't such freaks.

People should know about iSYL anyways though since Freddie blogged about it on iCarly.com. He said one of the good things about being hit by a taco truck was that Carly kissed him.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Well, that answers my question, then.

vanillacupcakes

[248]Nov 28, 2010
    http://www.icarly.com/iBlogs/entry427.html

LampEC

[249]Nov 28, 2010
    But see are we going to count that? Because if you count that then you should count everything else on icarly.com when discussing relationships and stuff...Idk it just seems weird to me.

vanillacupcakes

[250]Nov 28, 2010
    Hmm....well it's weird because I always counted that stuff in the "iCarly world" because all the iCarly viewers in that "world" know is what happens on their website. In real life I only look at the episodes and not the site. Like you said it's weird counting that stuff as "evidence" IRL because it isn't really a part of the tv show. I'm confusing myself here.....

sockstar

[251]Nov 29, 2010
    what is that, for someone who can't get into the regular icarly site.

vanillacupcakes

[252]Nov 29, 2010

He said that getting hit by a taco truck is one of the greatest things that has ever happened to him and wrote,
    "Oh, yeah, and I totally got all smoochy with Carly! (That's all you're getting from me on that subject... A gentleman never blogs on his love life. But we DID kiss and it was GLORIOUS!)"

Like Lamp said, I don't know if it should be counted though...

LampEC

[253]Nov 29, 2010

The thing about it is I've looked for a topic on the subject on the groovy smoothie and here and they barely even touched on it. In fact the other thing I thought was interesting was that they were discussing that one iCarly CD that has extra tracks of the group chatting and whether that should be counted or not.

tvtropes says: "A related term is Duetercanon, which in this context refers to those persons, places and/or events which are not explicitly shown on-screen, but which are considered "official" or close to it."

I think iCarly.com would come under this category. One of the premises (if not the premise) is that these kids produce a webshow and that means that you'd have to incorporate some aspects of the website content into canon. Most of the things I've viewed on the website do not contradict what we've seen in the show so I think Dueterocanon is a proper term for it. (In fact sometimes things are confirmed; such as VC pointed out in Freddie's blog).

I'm still confused though...;-; I'm pretty sure if I spent a whole on this and researched a couple things I could come up with a viable theory that would also be ranting. I don't know if I have energy for that though. lol

Canada_Michael

[254]Nov 29, 2010
    • level: 10

Well ICarly.com is a website setup for the show so it may count as part of the iCarly story, but only if Dan decides what is posted there as coming from the characters. If it's like the promo's Nick puts together then it doesn't count IMO.

Evening_Haze

[255]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 7

Wow, I haven't been here in a while... Anyway, IStartA Fan War was... alright. I kinda just agree with what everyone else said, "the main plot was boring, Spencer vs. Jack Black was Epicness (which it was), Gibby and Guppy were annoying and pointless, etc... Aside from that though:

♦ I had a fangirl moment when Craig and Eric walked in. I was like, "OMG, IT'S THEM!!!!!! FROM DRAKE AND JOSH!!!!!!" And then Gavin made it even better. I love seeing characters from other shows make appearances. (well, that is if I know who they are) It feels like I'm seeing friends I never thought I'd see again.

♦ I loved the Aruthor vs. Aspartamay battle. I loved how they all knew so much about the other one's costume but each had fatal flaws on their own. The dialoque between Jack and Jerry was excellent. I honestly would like to see them try to do something like that, unscripted. Like a "Whose Line is it Anyway?" type thing? (Love that show) Anyway, I think the song was also quite catchy. I almost felt the need to put it on my Ipod.

♦ I thought it was a little weird (and a bit of a let-down) how they all already knew about seddie/creddie. Like when Carly's talking to Adam on her computer and she's like, "Yeah, Creddie shippers want me and Freddie to get together, and Seddie shippers want Sam and Freddie to get together" or whatever. Like,..cuz,...and...THEY'VE NEVER MENTIONED THIS BEFORE!?!?! You'd think they would've at least made it clear on their webshow that none of them were dating! I got the impression that they never knew! And I was looking forward to the moment when they would all find out and the awkwardness that would ensue... Oh well...

♦You gotta love how we were portrayed. "Oh, look, their elbows are touching...THAT MEANS THEY'RE IN LOVE!" If I remember right, people have actually said things along those lines on other forums. Wow. Also, I found it a little creepy that there were actual grown men there, but ... that's ICarly for ya.

♦ Why are people getting so worked up over Carly's speech? At first, I was mad too. Like, "How dare you tell us that we shouldn't ship fictional characters?" Because, for me, that's mostly why I watch the show. I mean, there's not many heartfelt moments orcharacter development like there is in other shows. ICarly is supposed to be all about comedy, but to me, it's not really that funny except for Spencer. When you use random humour too much it stops being random, and, stops being funny. The webshow itself is just pathetic too. C'mon, if ICarly were a real webshow hosted by normal kids, no one would watch it. The only really funny skits I can think of are "Great Moments in Kid History: The First Tantrum" and of course "Kelly Cooper: Terrible Movie" So yeah, at first Carly's speech annoyed me. I thought Dan was trying to tell us how stupid we are, but if you notice, the second Carly's done talking, people start right up again with the fanwar, making Carly's speech seem almost like nothing more than a gag, just like the one in that episode where everyone was crammed inside their apartment during the heat wave, when Carly makes the speech about how they should all just get along and then, as soon as the air conditioning comes back on, everyone pushes past eachother to get out. So, I don't really think it meant anything.

♦ And lastly,...Okay, so promise me we won't start a completely unrelated fanwar on an ICarly forum? Okay... so since Avatar (The Last Airbender) WAS a Nickelodeon show,...I was kinda hopin' someone would at least allude to the Kataang/Zutara shipping war, like one of the fans would say something like, "Well, at least we aren't as bad as the Zutarians and Kataangers..." Just like mutter it under their breath or something. I thought it would've been hilarious, don't you?I mean, they made allusions to Drake & Josh, right?

Anyway, review over, rant over, Evening_Haze: out.

LampEC

[256]Nov 30, 2010

Evening_Haze wrote:
    ♦ I thought it was a little weird (and a bit of a let-down) how they all already knew about seddie/creddie. Like when Carly's talking to Adam on her computer and she's like, "Yeah, Creddie shippers want me and Freddie to get together, and Seddie shippers want Sam and Freddie to get together" or whatever. Like,..cuz,...and...THEY'VE NEVER MENTIONED THIS BEFORE!?!?! You'd think they would've at least made it clear on their webshow that none of them were dating! I got the impression that they never knew! And I was looking forward to the moment when they would all find out and the awkwardness that would ensue... Oh well...

This is so true. I think that them finding out would have been a way better plot. Like the gang finds out and they try to do something on the air to prove that they aren't together and it only makes things worse. It would actually make sense with the title "iStart A Fan War". Because to me the title should be "iUnsuccessfully Try To END A Fan War. lol

RomanZolanski

[257]Nov 30, 2010
    ^Ikr? It was so sudden when Adam started to talk about Creddie&Seddie, and then Carly explained it. I was like, "Wait, why was this never said in an earlier episode, like even one small mention?"

Diamondgrl13

[258]Nov 30, 2010
    • level: 6
    LampEC wrote:

Evening_Haze wrote:

This is so true. I think that them finding out would have been a way better plot. Like the gang finds out and they try to do something on the air to prove that they aren't together and it only makes things worse. It would actually make sense with the title "iStart A Fan War". Because to me the title should be "iUnsuccessfully Try To END A Fan War. lol

True! Haha..yeah, you're right..the title doesn't fit...only yours is too long, lol.

iCarlyMark

[259]Dec 18, 2010
    • level: 2

Late to comment here, but I just saw this for the first time today and I'm not going to lie. iStart A Fan War might be my favorite iCarly TV movie/episode of the entire series. Spencer and Jack Black nerd war was amazing,Guppy and Gibby's grandfather actually make Gibby way more entertaining to me and I am one who actually enjoyed the main plot for what it was.

Also, I don't why but that guy with the yellow 'Seddie' shirt got a laugh out of me all the times he yelled: SEDDIE!!!

nicknameless101

[260]Dec 19, 2010
    • level: 25

Yeah, this was a funny episode, although I thought it was stupid how the psycho "Creddie" and "Seddie" fans took everything Carly said the wrong way. Those fans were ridiculously dumb!