We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Who Is AMON -spoiler-

readapost

[165]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 14
    Maybe we are thinking too hard? It could just be he has a sickness that's why his face is covered. Just like that movie in Kingdom of Heaven?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Empace

[166]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 3
    readapost wrote:
    Maybe we are thinking too hard? It could just be he has a sickness that's why his face is covered. Just like that movie in Kingdom of Heaven?

Edmasterchaos made a convincing argument about this in the Official Discussion Thread.

The whole argument can be read here:
    http://www.tv.com/shows/avatar-the-legend-of-korra/forums/official-book-one-air-discussion-thread-99312-3355290/?page=3

He ends his long disussion on Amon's speech with the conclusion that:

"either way, i say he's lying about stuff. What i can say for certain is that there are no scars behind that mask."

pablo_suarez2

[167]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 1

AMON is JET.

I will eplain. Fire nation killed his parents

he was angry with the fire nation.

Now he is angry with the avatar

he is angry with bending.

JET. Look at his eyes in ep 04.

Edited on 04/30/2012 2:16pm

Nerdnot

[168]Apr 30, 2012
    pablo_suarez2 wrote:

AMON is JET.

JET IS DEAD!

pokemonmonmon

[169]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 5

pablo_suarez2 wrote:

AMON is JET.

1. jet is dead

2. aang and co crated "peace" between the nations so why would he ruint hat with pointless revenge.

3. he went through some serious character development especially after being brainwashed.

4. why would jet just disappear especially during the season 3 finale? that wouldve been the PERFECT time for him to re appear

bitterfly_rose

[170]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 3

I've read through most of this, but since a lot of it was arguing back and fourth I just skimmed a few parts, so excuse me if anything I say has already beendiscussed.

Avatars are not the only ones with ties to the spirit word, remember Iroh had a strong connection to the spirit world. Therefore a non avatar going there is not far fetched. Also, though I don't remember his name the guru that Aang visits to help him with the avatar state before Azula nearly killed him at the end of the second book had a strong connection to all things spiritual. Not much has been mentioned that I have seen about Koh, and Amon's face may be hidden because he simply doesn't have one anymore. As for the glowing, well that was due to the avatar state, it had nothing to do with Aang taking Ozai's bending away, well not directly.

About the only think I do agree with that i've read so far is Amon being either somebody from the original series, or their child. The child thing is most likely, though there were several that lived to a fairly old age.

TyLee was the only one that I know of that knew how to chi block in the old series, and its become quite popular in the "new" avatar world. In an attempt to even things out, it would make sense that even Aang backed this, as air nomads were non violent by nature. The possiblity of Amon being Aangs son is quite interesting. Aang after all was a passifist for the most part, and only used violence when nessary, and even then tried his hardest to make it non life threatening. And think about how angry a kid would be to have his or her father taken from them? But he did say I believe that both his parents were taken from him, and Katara is still very much alive and well. It could be the son of Sokka, after all he was jelous at times of not being a bender. And it wasn't until he became a "sword master" that he even started to feel like things were evened out.

Who knows Azula's name has been brought up, maybe its her spirit behind all this. I think people trying to make connections to hitler is just absurd though. Either Amon is trying as he said to get revenge for his parents and "even" things out, or he's a total nut job. There is also the possibilty that he's a distraction, and the real danger is looming just around the corner. What i'm really curious about is if they are going to reveal him sooner rather then later, or wait like they did with the fire lord. If they wait, he's the real danger, if he's revealed sooner, then he's just a distraction.

RaizenYusuke

[171]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 28
    readapost wrote:
    The mask is a symbol. To the non-benders it is a symbol of the pain and destructiveness bending causes and to his enemies the mask presents an unknown enemy. The unknow strikes more fear in people's hearts than the known. I am not sure if the creators ever gave a reason for why they never showed Ozai's face until the final season, but I always thought by having face be blackened or covered that it was supposed to make us the audience feel he was threatening because we did not know what he looked like, he represented the unknown. I feel like the fear of the unknown is also why Amon wears a mask.

edmasterchaos

[172]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 41

Culbs wrote:

I've already given my ideas on how Amon might take away powers by being a waterbender, and now I think that my thoughts are validated with this new idea. I think Amon is actually Tarlok. He's a waterbender. Thus making my theory of him being a bloodbender even more likely. Him creating a task force against "Amon" just gives his alter ego more power with the masses and allows him to create an army with greater ease. Notice how he was resolute with trying to recruit Korra as well. He figured it would be his best rallying cry for the non-benders of the city and eventually the world. "The oppressive Avatar wishes to silence us with her powers!" The chi blockers with him could possibly be members of the task force he created as well. Loyal followers that work both in the light and the shadows create an even more effective army. Think about it.

Hmm, i like this.
    I prefer my theory where Amon is someone we haven't met yet and that Sato is working for him, but this is a very good alternative and if you're right, well, this is the theory i'd like to lose to.

readapost

[173]Apr 30, 2012
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    The mask is a symbol. To the non-benders it is a symbol of the pain and destructiveness bending causes and to his enemies the mask presents an unknown enemy. The unknown strikes more fear in people's hearts than the known. I am not sure if the creators ever gave a reason for why they never showed Ozai's face until the final season, but I always thought by having face be blackened or covered that it was supposed to make us the audience feel he was threatening because we did not know what he looked like, he represented the unknown. I feel like the fear of the unknown is also why Amon wears a mask.
    Wow RaizenYusuke your a master at this. I feel like I should have bring my best analyzing skills to this thread.

AtLA_LoK_4ever

[174]Apr 30, 2012

Amon Fun Fact- Amon is another way to spell Amun Ra which is the egyptian king of the gods and god of the sun

ravenspider1456

[175]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 2

i think amon is some how related to the kyoshi warriors because that whould explain the chi blocking cus ty lee did show them how to chi block. his parents could of been farmers on that island. as far as who he his, he could of heard the story of how to take away bendeing from suki or sakka,because theres no dout that aang went into detail about how he took bending away and maybe thats how Amon got the idea of taking bending away. What seemed clea shea was that a "fire bender" was the one who burned Amons face.

edmasterchaos

[176]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 41

He's actually Dane Cook.

ravenspider1456

[177]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 2

i agree about the whole ty lee/sakka idea because ty lee did teach the kyoshi warriors how the chi block as said near the end of the last episode of the last season befor this one (sozins commet part 4 )

athomas32

[178]Apr 30, 2012

amon is not tarlok, that would be way to easy, it does seem like a good idea but i do not think the writers would make his identity so easily figured only by the 4th episode. Tarlok definitely should not be a council man and the fact that Tenzin already hates him makes Tarlok seem even worse. He could possibly be connected to Amon in a way, but he is not Amon.

RaizenYusuke

[179]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 28
    Who taught Ty Lee? I don't think it was ever mentioned who taught her how to block chi. There could be a whole material art or masters that teach people how to block chi that has been around for as long as bending. It is possible Aang even created a Chi blocking fighting team toas a non-leath way to deal with threats. Ty Lee's attacks always just made people numb, but did not seem to be in intense pain. It sounds like something Aang might approve of which of course would add to the Aang's mistake that turned bad. Every Avatar has had one, so Aang has to have made a mistake with serious consenquences. Either Amon actually learned energybending from Aang or saw him do it or Aang some how helped creat Amon and the Equalists.

UnovaChampion

[180]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 19
    The more and more I think about it, I'm growing extremely confident Amon is Tarlokk. Maybe some of of you thinks it needs to be some super awesome epic reveal like it being Ozai or crap like that, but I'd prefer something set up properly like this that has some small evidential hints.

Besides, if Amon and Tarlokk are the same person, his plan is quite ingenious. And the possibility of him having bloodbending would make him all the more epic of a villain.

athomas32

[181]Apr 30, 2012

Amon is not tarlokk, the show would be just another remake of star wars if he was. The writers aren't going to make Amon just like darth sidious.

Kwando7

[182]May 1, 2012
    • level: 18

athomas32 wrote:

Amon is not tarlokk, the show would be just another remake of star wars if he was. The writers aren't going to make Amon just like darth sidious.

I have no idea what that is, but it wouldn't supprise me if Amon tipped Tarlokk to where the chi blockers were training

Nerdnot

[183]May 1, 2012
    athomas32 wrote:

You never expected it though, did you!

readapost

[184]May 1, 2012
    Ok new theories (not mine.) about just who Amon is, his upbringing or why and how he is doing what he is doing. Using both sides to each theory.

1. Amon is not related to the characters, and is a new villian.

Yes. Because the way he is portrayed as such. He could never be someone we know his goals seem twisted and rather all issues with the cast of the Last Airbender seemed resolved. Like it was said only the Avatar can take bending away.

No. If Amon was not related to the past characters in any shape or form where did all equalists learn chi blocking? We have to take in account there are no Kyoshi Warriors in this time period but why? Well Aang having known about Kyoshi and her mistake creating the Dai li, somewhere along the way something must have happened to cause there to be no Kyoshi Warriors or at least are no longer a strong presence. Plus who says only the Avatar can take bending away? I mean it's not like it really was a secret, Amon could have just read a book on the subject. While studying it he learning trick/shortcut to perfect it also it would just be as easy to access asomething on chi blocking.

2. Amon is Tarrlok. Yes.Think about it, if Tarrlok was Amon he could keep a eye on Korra therefore he'll know everything about her. With her under his wing he has a chance for more power, like Tenzin said. The question is why? The answer is simple, if there is going to be a war first he needs to start one. Meaning boths sides need to be fighting. That in turn drives the question, "If that's so true who was the Amon fighting Korra? " It could been a double which explains why he didn't take Korra's bending away. Only because Korra called him out, which wasn't part of his plan.

No. Tarrlok isn't evil just because he is a politican. Just because he might be little shady doesn't not make him evil. Afterall his actions for having Korra might be trying to better his city? Besides when we saw Amon with Korra, he was with Tenzin.

I like these theories the most and these are just my views on them.