We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The New Official Kataang/Zutara Battlefield

Best Ship

Spacerac

[61]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 15
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

Spacerac wrote:
    Zutara lost a whole half a season ago and everybody knows it.
    Katara and Aang never had a chance since the middle of the 13th episode.

"I didn't see anything about love."

Does that ring a bell?

First of all, that was the 14th episode. Ooh.

Secondly, all the fortunes that the fortuneteller made happened by coincidence anyway. But if you want to say they came true or they will, then you can't ignore the scene in the end where Katara's view of Aang changes and she starts thinking about the possibility of him being a romantic partner in the future. But yeah, I've noticed you NEVER once mentioned that scene or tried to explain it away. You can't deny that over the entire series Katara and Aang have gotten closer and closer, and just because Katara and Zuko are now actually close to each other does NOT equal Zutara. Now I'll talk about Mai. Mai is actually very interesting and she's only boring to the peopple that don't like her. Come on now, the girl has wit as sharp as her awesome throwing kives. How can you say that's boring? Her and Zuko and Katara and Aang complement each other, because Zuko and Aang directly parallel. Aang and Zuko have their own respective love interests, that's how it is, and that's how it's going to stay.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Spike815

[62]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 14
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

Spacerac wrote:
    Zutara lost a whole half a season ago and everybody knows it.
    Katara and Aang never had a chance since the middle of the 13th episode.

"I didn't see anything about love."

Does that ring a bell?

Aunt Wu:The heat makes cracks in the bones and I read the bone cracks to tell your destiny.

*Bone explodes*

Yeah, um... exactly how is she supposed to read a disintegrated bone?

daveshanFromGMU

[63]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 8

@Spacerac

You mean you've never noticed this? You never noticed how they seemed to have said "No Katara and Aang" and then at the end, with Sokka's comment, they went "Lol. Just kidding"?

She told Katara that he would be a "very powerful bender" No one in the entire series, except her mystery future husband, has been called a "very powerful bender". Why not? It seems like such a fill-in-the-blank adjective for the show. The writers would have to go out of their way to not use it.

And don't go saying that this is straw-clutching. Aunt Wu's predictions are always right as long as you look at the exact wording and don't add or subtract things based on assumptions.

--------------------------

@Spike

I must have said this to you at some point.

She told Aang she didn't see anything about love in his future. If she only missed it, instead of looking and not seeing it, why not say that? If she was in too much of a shock, why not give him another reading at the end of the episode when she was clearly calmer and why not have it be one that doesn't explode, like a palm reading?

Also, if she told him what he wanted to hear once, why not tell him what he wants to hear again?

Spike815

[64]Mar 22, 2008
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

@Spacerac

You mean you've never noticed this? You never noticed how they seemed to have said "No Katara and Aang" and then at the end, with Sokka's comment, they went "Lol. Just kidding"?

She told Katara that he would be a "very powerful bender" No one in the entire series, except her mystery future husband, has been called a "very powerful bender". Why not? It seems like such a fill-in-the-blank adjective for the show. The writers would have to go out of their way to not use it.

And don't go saying that this is straw-clutching. Aunt Wu's predictions are always right as long as you look at the exact wording and don't add or subtract things based on assumptions.

Your honestly are straw clutching. Your argument for the "very powerful bender" thing makes no sense. It's obvious half the cast are very powerful benders, they don't need the characters to say it word for word. Plus YOU seem to be adding alot to Aunt Wu's prediction, saying they are set in stone which she admitted isn't the case. You assume that because she didn't see any love in Aang's life, there won't be any. Those are some pretty big assumptions that have no real backing.
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

@Spike

She told Aang she didn't see anything about love in his future. If she only missed it, instead of looking and not seeing it, why not say that? If she was in too much of a shock, why not give him another reading at the end of the episode when she was clearly calmer and why not have it be one that doesn't explode, like a palm reading?

Also, if she told him what he wanted to hear once, why not tell him what he wants to hear again?

Because the show ran out of time. How should I know? Another bone would probably have exploded again. Not much you can tell from that besides his epic showdown. You can't assume that because she didn't do another reading, Aang won't get Katara. That's completely unfounded.

kamzts

[65]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 7

Kataang will happen get over it!!!!! There is no evidence for zutara and all the evidence in the owrld for Kataang. Thats a big gap!

Visit my new avatar fansite at www.avatar-the-last-airbender-rulz.piczo.com

Uchiha0000

[66]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 4

Unfortunately I think so. They've spent 3 seasons building up Katara and Aang's relationship (Probably the only strongly developed romantic relationship in the series). A tender moment here or a cease-fire in a crystal cave that moments later ends up a bending fight isn't going to derail anything.

If you want Zutara, do what most of them do, and play The Sims 2 with the Zuko and Katara sims!

Lisa31468

[67]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 17
    AllKnowingBeing wrote:

Zukaang will happen!

But seriously I'm neutral on the whole Kataang vs Zutara thing.

My son saw this over my shoulder and said OMG!!! And then my husband chimed in and said 'well Aang was a woman in a past life several times over.'

Yes, I said, but not in THIS life. LOL

Uchiha0000

[68]Mar 22, 2008
    I'm a techy guy, so if I had my own kid I'd probably edit some photo of him kissing a cat or something and show him the power of Photoshop.

Lisa31468

[69]Mar 22, 2008

Uchiha0000 wrote:
    I'm a techy guy, so if I had my own kid I'd probably edit some photo of him kissing a cat or something and show him the power of Photoshop.

Photoshop=The power of ultimate shipping possibilities realized

Uchiha0000

[70]Mar 22, 2008

That and The Sims 2. I'm having a blast making Zuko get angry with random people on the street.

If you ever get your hands on it, go to this page for an AWESOME Zuko.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=146116

Lisa31468

[71]Mar 22, 2008
    Uchiha0000 wrote:

That and The Sims 2. I'm having a blast making Zuko get angry with random people on the street.

If you ever get your hands on it, go to this page for an AWESOME Zuko.

http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=146116

Cool!

waterbender6025

[72]Mar 22, 2008
    • level: 12
    they have been developing the kataang relationship much more in season 3, in the first two seasons it was just showing the aang had feelings for katara and now they are puting them closer together in S3. i know there has been alot of controversy about the fortune teller episode but remember that mostly all shows start a semi-plot of the episode and finish it at the end of the episode but still have the main goals of the main character progressing. my examples 'nightmares and daydreams' at the start aang couldnt sleep, by the end he slept like a baby, 'imprisoned' earthbenders start of hiding and in prison by the end the gaang freed them. the pattern shows that the small plots finish by the end of the episode. and in 'the fortune teller' episode the topic of love is introduced at the start and at the end it finishes with katara realising that aang could be that her future love interest. so this whole aang has never been called a very powerful bender or the fortune teller didnt see love in his future (which doesnt show that it isnt there). kataang wins zutara never stood a chance.

Uchiha0000

[73]Mar 22, 2008

waterbender6025 wrote:
    they have been developing the kataang relationship much more in season 3, in the first two seasons it was just showing the aang had feelings for katara and now they are puting them closer together in S3. i know there has been alot of controversy about the fortune teller episode but remember that mostly all shows start a semi-plot of the episode and finish it at the end of the episode but still have the main goals of the main character progressing. my examples 'nightmares and daydreams' at the start aang couldnt sleep, by the end he slept like a baby, 'imprisoned' earthbenders start of hiding and in prison by the end the gaang freed them. the pattern shows that the small plots finish by the end of the episode. and in 'the fortune teller' episode the topic of love is introduced at the start and at the end it finishes with katara realising that aang could be that her future love interest. so this whole aang has never been called a very powerful bender or the fortune teller didnt see love in his future (which doesnt show that it isnt there). kataang wins zutara never stood a chance.

This. Although Katara has room to be less lame.

Lisa31468

[74]Mar 22, 2008

waterbender6025 wrote:

Nice sum up and I would agree that Kataang is the more logical outcome. But I also think Mike and Bryan have a sense of humor and love to tease/torture us...so I forsee our seeing at least a taste of Zutara before Kataang claims final victory.

Uchiha0000

[75]Mar 22, 2008
    Lisa31468 wrote:

waterbender6025 wrote:

Nice sum up and I would agree that Kataang is the more logical outcome. But I also think Mike and Bryan have a sense of humor and love to tease/torture us...so I forsee our seeing at least a taste of Zutara before Kataang claims final victory.

I don't know...

***SPOILER***

Lisa31468

[76]Mar 22, 2008
    Uchiha0000 wrote:
    Lisa31468 wrote:

waterbender6025 wrote:

I don't know...

I think you are right, i.e., an oddly-placed and rushed situation. And that's what will make it all the more exciting and an uber-thrilling storytelling roller coaster ride. (Exactly what Mike and Bryan are known best for)

Uchiha0000

[77]Mar 22, 2008

Meh. I'm just not a fan of the really "rushed" feeling that's coursing through Season 3's episodes. It just goes to show that they really should've been given more episodes/seasons to flesh things out. We're not far from the finale and I don't see major loose ends being tied quick enough before the main story progression kicks in.

We're either going to see a finale all about wrapping up loose ends in a rushed little package, or an ending that is going to irritate me by leaving so many sidestories blatently started and left undone. I wouldn't mind that though if they used it as a platform to jump into another season, but if they left it unfinished I wouldn't be pleased at all. This story is too good and immersive to leave big holes in, even if it is a kid show.

WiseLad

[78]Mar 22, 2008
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

@Spacerac

@Spike

because if she did that than let's pretend first that the fate said kataang; Wu would say something along the lines of "the girl traveling with you and who is a great healer will be the mother of your children"

now let's pretend Katara is not the one; than Wu would say something along the lines of "the girl you will marry you haven't met yet" (Toph, On Ji, whoever) or "you already met your future wife, you don't realize that you will fall in love with her yet" (in the case it is Meng)or even "there is no one for you, you will be alone till you die"

and you know what IT MEANS IF WU DID THAT? THERE WOULD NOT BE A SHIPPING WAR about Kataang and Zutara!!!!

EVERYTHING IS ABOUT PROLONGING THE KATAANG-ZUTARA SITUATION

Uchiha0000

[79]Mar 22, 2008
    WiseLad wrote:
    daveshanFromGMU wrote:

@Spacerac

@Spike

because if she did that than let's pretend first that the fate said kataang; Wu would say something along the lines of "the girl traveling with you and who is a great healer will be the mother of your children" now let's pretend Katara is not the one; than Wu would say something along the lines of "the girl you will marry you haven't met yet" (Toph, On Ji, whoever) or "you already met your future wife, you don't realize that you will fall in love with her yet" (in the case it is Meng)or even "there is no one for you, you will be alone till you die" and you know what IT MEANS IF WU DID THAT? THERE WOULD NOT BE A SHIPPING WAR about Kataang and Zutara!!!! EVERYTHING IS ABOUT PROLONGING THE KATAANG-ZUTARA SITUATION

I disagree. The Katara and Aang matchup was pretty deliberately placed there from the very first episode. It's the only -romantic- relationship between any two characters on the show that has had any real long term development. It's quite clear that Katara/Aang has been intended all along, and also very obvious that the Katara/Zuko thing was just an odd curve ball spark of seriously not even 5 minutes in one episode.

This incited people to jump back to earlier episodes for references to support this spark, and things like the Fortuneteller episode really don't prove any kind of basis for anything but Katara/Aang. It's even blatently pointed out in that episode as well as another stepping stone to solidifying the relationship later in the series.

While I'm not exactly a fan of Katara at all anyway, I can firmly say with all episodes as my reference that -any- pairing of Katara with anyone other than Aang has no comparable, developed basis. A few well-timed screencaps or photoshops at best is all Zutara has to their name going purely off episode content. Frankly, it's over.

Lisa31468

[80]Mar 22, 2008
    Uchiha0000 wrote:

Meh. I'm just not a fan of the really "rushed" feeling that's coursing through Season 3's episodes. It just goes to show that they really should've been given more episodes/seasons to flesh things out. We're not far from the finale and I don't see major loose ends being tied quick enough before the main story progression kicks in.

We're either going to see a finale all about wrapping up loose ends in a rushed little package, or an ending that is going to irritate me by leaving so many sidestories blatently started and left undone. I wouldn't mind that though if they used it as a platform to jump into another season, but if they left it unfinished I wouldn't be pleased at all. This story is too good and immersive to leave big holes in, even if it is a kid show.

LOL You definitely are echoing the fears all the diehard fans have expressed here on the forum.

We too wonder how on earth all the subplots will be realized. We don't even want to think about the possibility that they will leave things unfinished to segway into a spinoff series.

We don't expect Mike and Bryan to work on another animated series until the live-action movies are finished and that's going to be another three to four years at the earliest.

That's why everyone here is kind of in a mourning period. We have Aang's story, true enough, but will it be given it's due in the end and be satisfactorily concluded?

Knowing Nick's brilliant track record for an overabundant and avid interest in Avatar, we clearly have justifiable reasons to be afraid.

Edited on 03/22/2008 8:56pm