We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Breakflame

[121]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 8
    Plus If Shikimaru leads Sokka near a wall or something(like he did in his fight with Rin) He could just duck back and make him hit a wall. K.O.

You'd need to see his fight with rin to get that
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

qweasdzse

[122]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 10

Breakflame wrote:
    Plus If Shikimaru leads Sokka near a wall or something(like he did in his fight with Rin) He could just duck back and make him hit a wall. K.O. You'd need to see his fight with rin to get that

You mean Kin??right also kin is female.

DeathandDoom

[123]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 3

J-ni11 wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:
    I really think that a lot of people are underestimating Sokka; he may have no special powers, but he's a good fighter in his own right. That's why I paired him up with Shikamaru from the Chunin Exams - because it seemed to be the only real close fight involving Sokka.

While Shikamaru is a genius, he seems pretty wimpy in battle. Granted, I haven't seen his fight with Temari yet, but from what I have seen, Sokka would have the definite advantage in close quarters combat. True, Shikamaru does have his Shadow Possession jutsu, and he has come up with creative ways to make it work for him. But the Shadow Possession has some serious flaws in it - it is very easy to see Shikamaru's shadow expand, it only lasts for five minutes, and since the opponent mirrors all of his moves, Shikamaru can't use his jutsu to attack his opponents without attacking himself. Heck, it's not any good even for holding an opponent still for others to attack, since any damage to the opponent is reflected on Shikamaru.

One other thing to consider is the drive between the two characters. On one hand, we have Sokka, who has been spending all of his life training to be a proud warrior of the Water Tribe. On the other, we have Shikamaru, who from what I've heard, doesn't even want to be a ninja.
    Actually if the person who he uses shadow freeze on takes damage it doesn't reflect onto him as well. Your thinking of ino's mind possesion jutsu. Although i agree that sooka is a great warrior he wouldn't beat anyone from naruto simply because they can use chakara to enhance their speed and strengh. Shikla is probably a good match since he doesn't know any jutsu other than that one but the does train even thou he is lazy as hell and he would still win.

No, actually, I'm not thinking of Ino at all. While it is true that Ino's posesson jutsau also hurts her, the same is true with Shikamaru's jutsu?? Do you remember when Gaara tried to kill Rock Lee at the hospital, and Naruto and Shikamaru stopped him? Well, I don't know what happened in the anime, but in the manga, Shikamaru froze Gaara, and Naruto hit him. Shikamaru yelled and then TOLD Naruto that he had felt the blow too - proof positive that what hits the opponent also hits Shikamaru. And as for the fight with Kin, Shaikamaru must have realesed the jutsu as he threw the shuriken. I mean, why else would he bother with faking out Kin instead of just ducking his head?

Colonel_Brian

[124]Aug 2, 2006
    • level: 12
    This thread is alive well I know this has been said but Naruto characters would win if people who don't really train can still be twice as strong as most Avatar character sthan theirs no chance.

hakeemadams94

[125]Aug 2, 2006

DeathandDoom wrote:
    J-ni11 wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:
    I really think that a lot of people are underestimating Sokka; he may have no special powers, but he's a good fighter in his own right. That's why I paired him up with Shikamaru from the Chunin Exams - because it seemed to be the only real close fight involving Sokka.

While Shikamaru is a genius, he seems pretty wimpy in battle. Granted, I haven't seen his fight with Temari yet, but from what I have seen, Sokka would have the definite advantage in close quarters combat. True, Shikamaru does have his Shadow Possession jutsu, and he has come up with creative ways to make it work for him. But the Shadow Possession has some serious flaws in it - it is very easy to see Shikamaru's shadow expand, it only lasts for five minutes, and since the opponent mirrors all of his moves, Shikamaru can't use his jutsu to attack his opponents without attacking himself. Heck, it's not any good even for holding an opponent still for others to attack, since any damage to the opponent is reflected on Shikamaru.

One other thing to consider is the drive between the two characters. On one hand, we have Sokka, who has been spending all of his life training to be a proud warrior of the Water Tribe. On the other, we have Shikamaru, who from what I've heard, doesn't even want to be a ninja.
    Actually if the person who he uses shadow freeze on takes damage it doesn't reflect onto him as well. Your thinking of ino's mind possesion jutsu. Although i agree that sooka is a great warrior he wouldn't beat anyone from naruto simply because they can use chakara to enhance their speed and strengh. Shikla is probably a good match since he doesn't know any jutsu other than that one but the does train even thou he is lazy as hell and he would still win.

No, actually, I'm not thinking of Ino at all. While it is true that Ino's posesson jutsau also hurts her, the same is true with Shikamaru's jutsu?? Do you remember when Gaara tried to kill Rock Lee at the hospital, and Naruto and Shikamaru stopped him? Well, I don't know what happened in the anime, but in the manga, Shikamaru froze Gaara, and Naruto hit him. Shikamaru yelled and then TOLD Naruto that he had felt the blow too - proof positive that what hits the opponent also hits Shikamaru. And as for the fight with Kin, Shaikamaru must have realesed the jutsu as he threw the shuriken. I mean, why else would he bother with faking out Kin instead of just ducking his head?

Watch the episode again.He explians it everything in that epi.Also if they fight in places with alot of shadows sokka will get owned bad.Shika also have a jutsu where is shadow chokes u.

Breakflame

[126]Aug 2, 2006
    qweasdzse wrote:

Breakflame wrote:
    Plus If Shikimaru leads Sokka near a wall or something(like he did in his fight with Rin) He could just duck back and make him hit a wall. K.O. You'd need to see his fight with rin to get that

The name is Rin in the original. Kin is the name in the dub. and everytime I said the word him, I was referring to either Shikimaru or Sokka. So I made no mistakes. For I am perfect.

Ok, I'm not perfect. But I still don't like being wrong. Which I wasn't. This time at least.

DeathandDoom

[127]Aug 3, 2006

Yes, yes I know - Shikamaru says it was all just a distraction so that Kin wouldn't notice where she was standing. However the point I'm making is that it shouldn't have mattered if Kin was aware of it or not, because anyone caught in the Shadow Possession has to imitate what Shikamaru does (except for their mouth, oddly enough). All Shikamaru had to do was bend over, and Kin would have been powerless to do anything but follow suit. The only reason he would use a trick like that is if he was about to drop the Shadow Possession, and the opponent was free to move.

And even if Sokka gets caught - what then? The jutsu is, at best, a delaying tactic, and is only good under certain conditions. And before anyone says, "oh, but Shikamaru learned so-and-so later on, and it would totally kick Sokka's butt," I again note that I am only considering the characters as they were in the chunin exam.

Breakflame

[128]Aug 3, 2006
    DeathandDoom wrote:
    Yes, yes I know - Shikamaru says it was all just a distraction so that Kin wouldn't notice where she was standing. However the point I'm making is that it shouldn't have mattered if Kin was aware of it or not, because anyone caught in the Shadow Possession has to imitate what Shikamaru does (except for their mouth, oddly enough). All Shikamaru had to do was bend over, and Kin would have been powerless to do anything but follow suit. The only reason he would use a trick like that is if he was about to drop the Shadow Possession, and the opponent was free to move.

And even if Sokka gets caught - what then? The jutsu is, at best, a delaying tactic, and is only good under certain conditions. And before anyone says, "oh, but Shikamaru learned so-and-so later on, and it would totally kick Sokka's butt," I again note that I am only considering the characters as they were in the chunin exam.

Ok, how about this. Does Sokka carry a shuriken holder on his leg? No? then he'd still lose. Shikamaru could just reach for a couple and throw them. Sokka would be forced to reach at midair and throw absolutely nothing and then Death by Shuriken.

DeathandDoom

[129]Aug 3, 2006

Breakflame wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:

Ok, how about this. Does Sokka carry a shuriken holder on his leg? No? then he'd still lose. Shikamaru could just reach for a couple and throw them. Sokka would be forced to reach at midair and throw absolutely nothing and then Death by Shuriken.

..except that brings us right back to the "whatever hurts the possesed also hurts Shikamaru" thing. Notice that Shikamaru had the opprotunity to do this very technique against Dosu in the Forest of Death, and yet he didn't even consider it, perhaps for the very reason that I'm stating.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm not saying that Shikamaru couldn't win, just that both characters would have an even chance of winning.

As a final note, I still say that Katara would anialate good ol' useless Sakura.

Breakflame

[130]Aug 3, 2006
    DeathandDoom wrote:
    Breakflame wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:

..except that brings us right back to the "whatever hurts the possesed also hurts Shikamaru" thing. Notice that Shikamaru had the opprotunity to do this very technique against Dosu in the Forest of Death, and yet he didn't even consider it, perhaps for the very reason that I'm stating.

Don't get me wrong, though - I'm not saying that Shikamaru couldn't win, just that both characters would have an even chance of winning.

As a final note, I still say that Katara would anialate good ol' useless Sakura.

Shikimaru had already used the move on Rin/Kin. He was probably out of energy not to mention Dosu had seen the technique, causing Shikimaru to think it would fail, even if he could use it again. Face it. Sokka doesn't stand a chance against anyone in Naruto.

What makes Katara so special that she could beat Sakura? What makes Sakura lose any battle that you pair her against? Sakura has a few interesting moves if she would ever use them. Don't count her out just cause she seems so useless in the show.

Having said that, Katara would still probably win. I was just pointing out that you assumption seemed biased. My assumption is that Katara can effectively use Water and Ice combo's to beat Sakura. Sakura really only has Transformation and Image only clones(as in, touch them and they go away) as jutsus. Of course, she's still a ninja, so she's still faster. Guess it just depends on if Katara pays enough attention to defend when she should.

DeathandDoom

[131]Aug 3, 2006

Breakflame wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:
    Breakflame wrote:
    DeathandDoom wrote:

Shikimaru had already used the move on Rin/Kin. He was probably out of energy not to mention Dosu had seen the technique, causing Shikimaru to think it would fail, even if he could use it again. Face it. Sokka doesn't stand a chance against anyone in Naruto.

...What? When Shikamaru fought Dosu, it was in the Forest of Death - long before the preleminaries when he fought Kin. So no, Dosu definitly had NOT seen the technique before. And it's true that Sokka doesn't stand a chance aginst anyone from Avatar... EXCEPT for Shikamaru (and possibly Ino... and Sakura....).

And the reason I discount Sakura is mainly based on the fact that in the rare times she actually fights, she either loses or at the most ties. Katara is simply stronger in both power and, for that matter, personality.

qweasdzse

[132]Aug 3, 2006
    Breakflame wrote:
    qweasdzse wrote:

Breakflame wrote:

The name is Rin in the original. Kin is the name in the dub. and everytime I said the word him, I was referring to either Shikimaru or Sokka. So I made no mistakes. For I am perfect. Ok, I'm not perfect. But I still don't like being wrong. Which I wasn't. This time at least.

Are you sure because Rin was one of Kakashi's teamates in the manga but if your right about Rin/Kin then my bad for correcting you.

To topic though Sakura has a solid chance against katara you seem to over under estimate Sakura quite a bit. She could use bushins to confuse?? Katara. Subsitute herself to make katara think that she died. she can also use henge no jutsu to blend into the enviorment. She could use her stealth to attack when theres an opening from a distance with sharp knives or overpower her at close range.

C1991

[133]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 13
    Toph would get owned by the Sound Ninja bcuz of her superior hearing, which will allow the sound Jutsus to affect her faster and with more destructive power

videogamegeek75

[134]Aug 3, 2006

What does "Avatar vs. Witch" sound to you. I mean, they all have powers, but they don't have awesome acrobatic moves like the Avatar characters, I hope. Avatar would would so get a trophy for that. Eh... I should put this in another thread...

hakeemadams94

[135]Aug 3, 2006

DeathandDoom wrote:

He does not release it.Damn he just drop back and she was next to the wall.He does not release it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4-_9MU1u-s&search=naruto%2043

qweasdzse

[136]Aug 3, 2006
    Toph doesn't have superior hearing. She feels things with her feet. But sound ninja's attacks would be quite hard to escape in the world of avatar because sound moves so quickly.

Breakflame

[137]Aug 3, 2006

I am never wrong. And now that I have said that, Let me now say that I was completely wrong. Kin is her name. My bad.

Now onto something I was right about. Dosu, Kin, and Zaku are all part of the same team. They all fought together. Shikimaru caught Kin in the forest of Death with his Shadow, Since he wanted Ino to take her body. So you see, He had already used it. It had already been seen.

Sokka still cannot take on any ninja from the Naruto world. Face it. Which is sad, cause I like to see Sokka win some fights. It just doesn't seem to happen

Edited on 08/03/2006 9:05am

Colonel_Brian

[138]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 12
    That's a pity even shrimpy Kohnomaru will own Sokka and he's weak Well that's just sad well ninja's are stronger in every way well Naruto characters win cause their to strong I wonder if Iroh stands a chance that guy is good well I think it's time for this topic to die every chracter is strong in their own show if you're trying to say who will win Sokka or Vegeta than that's stupid cause everyone has their own strengh in their own show.

Comedy_Addict

[139]Aug 3, 2006
    • level: 2

DeathandDoom wrote:

That is like saying "oh I am just considering the Avatar characters how they were before they got to the North Pole and learned more water bending" It is pretty unfair to compare the Naruto characters with their power level during the Chunnin Exam to the Avatar characters during the latest episodes. In most (if not all) action/adventure shows, the characters get much stronger as the story progresses. The Chunnin Exam is still very early in Naruto while in the current episode in Avatar, Katara has pretty much mastered water bending, Aang has mastered air bending and is working on water and earth (and very briefly trained with fire bending), and Toph has already mastered earth bending. To have fair comparison you need to have the Nartuo cast atleast up to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc

hakeemadams94

[140]Aug 3, 2006
    Comedy_Addict wrote:

DeathandDoom wrote:

That is like saying "oh I am just considering the Avatar characters how they were before they got to the North Pole and learned more water bending" It is pretty unfair to compare the Naruto characters with their power level during the Chunnin Exam to the Avatar characters during the latest episodes. In most (if not all) action/adventure shows, the characters get much stronger as the story progresses. The Chunnin Exam is still very early in Naruto while in the current episode in Avatar, Katara has pretty much mastered water bending, Aang has mastered air bending and is working on water and earth (and very briefly trained with fire bending), and Toph has already mastered earth bending. To have fair comparison you need to have the Nartuo cast atleast up to the Sasuke Retrieval Arc

agreed