We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

gamer_86

[201]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 4
    picaboomman wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    i think it really doesn't matter wht race the actors are, what does matter is their ability to act. /discussion, new topic please. so, any info about the movie?
    it kind of matters if they look nothing alike. anyway, this dude looks like he isi 15 or 16. he will never pull it off

Age doesn't matter much as long as it's close to the age of their character. The OC actors are in their 20s and 30s but they played characters that are supposedly in their teens and 40s.

ok, ur comparing a show with real people to a cartoon. age does matter. so by ur logic, a 25 year old can play aang. you know what, scratch that, a 35 year old can play aang since age doesnt matter. and can you explain to me how a 16 or 15 year old can play a really goofy 12 year old?

Apparently you didn't follow my words. I said:

gamer_86 wrote:
    Age doesn't matter much as long as it's close to the age of their character

Also there are other factors involved such as looking somewhat like their character. A 15/16 year old kid can play a character that's 12 years old. What's the difference in the age? 3-4 years? I don't think that actually matters.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

momothelemur

[202]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 13
    gamer_86 wrote:

Also there are other factors involved such as looking somewhat like their character. A 15/16 year old kid can play a character that's 12 years old. What's the difference in the age? 3-4 years? I don't think that actually matters.

I'm kind of divided on this one. I mean, you see actors in their twenties playing high school kids. But between the ages of 12 and 16, puberty happens and there's often a noticeable difference...I'd say there could only be a couple of year age gap for the kid playing Aang, but that's just me.

member12

[203]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 3
    sorry if im a bit late on this one but how is JN's voice? Atleast i mean...... how does it compare to Zach Tyler Eisen?

gamer_86

[204]Feb 16, 2008
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

I'm kind of divided on this one. I mean, you see actors in their twenties playing high school kids. But between the ages of 12 and 16, puberty happens and there's often a noticeable difference...I'd say there could only be a couple of year age gap for the kid playing Aang, but that's just me.

You'd also have to look at some practicality. I mean, could a 12 year old be semi efficeint in martial arts? They'd have to consider experience in martial arts as well as age, looks and acting ability. If they find a kid that's 12 who is good in martial arts, and acts well then good job for them. But there are so many factors influencing their decision.

momothelemur

[205]Feb 16, 2008
    gamer_86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

You'd also have to look at some practicality. I mean, could a 12 year old be semi efficeint in martial arts? They'd have to consider experience in martial arts as well as age, looks and acting ability. If they find a kid that's 12 who is good in martial arts, and acts well then good job for them. But there are so many factors influencing their decision.

True. My friend is a blackbelt in Taekwondo and the place he goes to has kids pretty much mastering the skills. I'm sure that there are some good looking, bald, 12 year old Academy Award winning male actors out there

High00Lord

[206]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 21
    I don't think appearance is much of an issue. With today's technology and camera angles you can make almost anyone look like almost anyone in a movie.

DrAvatar

[207]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    High00Lord wrote:
    I don't think appearance is much of an issue. With today's technology and camera angles you can make almost anyone look like almost anyone in a movie.
    Exactly, dont underestimate the power of Hollywood.

tomtitan

[208]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 19
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

True. My friend is a blackbelt in Taekwondo and the place he goes to has kids pretty much mastering the skills. I'm sure that there are some good looking, bald, 12 year old Academy Award winning male actors out there

a month before my 12th birthday i got my black belt in karate. and i only trained twice a week. it's not unbelieveable to imagine the actor becoming good enough at the martial arts to play aang between now and when filming starts.

[209]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 42
    i hope the movie and the actors aren't a let down like other show becoming movies have been before

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[210]Feb 17, 2008
    hey where did u train at master Yu's earthbending acadamy?hahalol

MarryLarry

[211]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 11
    tomtitan wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

a month before my 12th birthday i got my black belt in karate. and i only trained twice a week. it's not unbelieveable to imagine the actor becoming good enough at the martial arts to play aang between now and when filming starts.

pfft Who needs kung fu when you have weapons to fight for you. After all, that's how China got owned by the Europeans.

Spike815

[212]Feb 17, 2008
    • level: 14
    MarryLarry wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

pfft Who needs kung fu when you have weapons to fight for you. After all, that's how China got owned by the Europeans.

Guns > swords

tomtitan

[213]Feb 18, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

Guns > swords

lol, i laughed so much at that bit!
    indiana jones FTW!

Psyche987

[214]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 8

member12 wrote:
    sorry if im a bit late on this one but how is JN's voice? Atleast i mean...... how does it compare to Zach Tyler Eisen?

Actually I think it shouldn't be too similar. There's a difference between voice-acting for cartoons and Live Action movie acting. You can do stuff within cartoons to our sense of 'what's real' that you can't do with live action. Zach Tyler Eisen sounds like a really american texas boy if you strip his voice from Aang. In the animation it seems natural, but in the movie that would be strange I think....well....it has to fit the actor himself.

Edited on 02/18/2008 3:45am

pureangel86

[215]Feb 18, 2008
    • level: 6

The first time I saw a picture of Jonathan Nguyen I thought he was going to play Zuko.

As for the whole 'it has to be all Asians in the movie' while the show is based on the culture it doesn't mean that every one is Asian. The Avatar map represents their world not ours, now some nations are Asian but others like the Southern Water Tribe are based on Inuits, Sun Warriors are from Mayan/Aztec origins and the swamp benders are a Hillbilly-Cajun mix. With that being said; why can't the Avatar world diversity reflect the diversity in our world?

Edited on 02/18/2008 7:07am

Psyche987

[216]Feb 18, 2008
    pureangel86 wrote:

The first time I saw a picture of Jonathan Nguyen I thought he was going to play Zuko.

As for the whole 'it has to be all Asians in the movie' while the show is based on the culture it doesn't mean that every one is Asian. The Avatar map represents their world not ours, now some nations are Asian but others like the Southern Water Tribe are based on Inuits, Sun Warriors are from Mayan/Aztec origins and the swamp benders are a Hillbilly-Cajun mix. With that being said; why can't the Avatar world diversity reflect the diversity in our world?

That's true. What about the Inuit? I believe they aren't originally asian. And Watertribe could be very Inuit.

LeonMorado

[217]Feb 19, 2008
    pureangel86 wrote:

it's not that it can't it's that it already doesn't. the water tribes and sun warriors may not be asian-based, but everyone else is. it's a theme that runs through every aspect of the show, and you can't ignore the foundation the show is built on just to be PC about the casting.

ElysianGem

[218]Feb 19, 2008
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

it's not that it can't it's that it already doesn't. the water tribes and sun warriors may not be asian-based, but everyone else is. it's a theme that runs through every aspect of the show, and you can't ignore the foundation the show is built on just to be PC about the casting.

I don't even know what's considered PC anymore.

momothelemur

[219]Feb 19, 2008
    ElysianGem wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

I don't even know what's considered PC anymore.

A clue: if it's fun, then it's likely to be un-PC.

I understand the need for diversity and tolerance, but some things are just taken too far (I'm not using the casting of this movie as an example, I was thinking more in the real world).

superSokka

[220]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 7
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

it's not that it can't it's that it already doesn't. the water tribes and sun warriors may not be Asian-based, but everyone else is. it's a theme that runs through every aspect of the show, and you can't ignore the foundation the show is built on just to be PC about the casting.
    I could not disagree with you more. Look at the residents of Ba Sing Se, yes they look Asian, but look at the city of Omashu. I don't care what they are wearing, that city clearly looks Caucasian.