We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

pureangel86

[241]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 6

You know what right now I don't care if the cast are all blue, green, orange, and purple people as long as Zuko/Azula and Sokka/Katara look like they are related: thats it! And that isn't very hard, shows like power rangers* have done it for years.

*the only reason I chose this particular show is because they change cast members every season. Making the task harder to find new people who look like some one else.

Edited on 02/23/2008 8:11am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ElysianGem

[242]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 8
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

Noooooo! Please reread my posts. I said the city of Omashu looked Caucasian not Ba Sing Se, and yes I did mean the people.

As far as what Mike and Brian said thats fine. It still does not dispute what I have said, so by that, I am not arguing with the facts. I understand that they preferred to use the Asian culture theme over others. For me thats not the debate. The debate is the people. They are all clearly a mix of different ethnicities. It really seems to vary from person to person, but I thought it looked the most obvious between Omashu and Ba Sing Se. Just go back and check out the population and the way they look. I'm not saying that everyone in either city is all one race, but there is definitely a variety.

And by the way, you both seem agitated and kind of condescending. You guys can relax. I do not wish to get hostile over Avatar.

no one's getting hostile here, but you're claiming these people look white, and frankly, i don't see it.
    There are those that IMO do look Caucasian, and there those that look Asian. I would say that there are some of both in your links that you have provided. Maybe thats just what it's gonna come down to is opinion. Ya know though, it's not even just about looks. A lot of the characters that look very Asian also sound Asian. Most of the ones that I would say look Caucasian sound American. Tell me you've noticed that. To make myself clear, I'm not saying that all that sound American are Caucasian.

Acctually, all of the younger characters have American accents and the adults go either way.

superSokka

[243]Feb 23, 2008
    • level: 7
    ElysianGem wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

Noooooo! Please reread my posts. I said the city of Omashu looked Caucasian not Ba Sing Se, and yes I did mean the people.

As far as what Mike and Brian said thats fine. It still does not dispute what I have said, so by that, I am not arguing with the facts. I understand that they preferred to use the Asian culture theme over others. For me thats not the debate. The debate is the people. They are all clearly a mix of different ethnicities. It really seems to vary from person to person, but I thought it looked the most obvious between Omashu and Ba Sing Se. Just go back and check out the population and the way they look. I'm not saying that everyone in either city is all one race, but there is definitely a variety.

And by the way, you both seem agitated and kind of condescending. You guys can relax. I do not wish to get hostile over Avatar.

no one's getting hostile here, but you're claiming these people look white, and frankly, i don't see it.
    There are those that IMO do look Caucasian, and there those that look Asian. I would say that there are some of both in your links that you have provided. Maybe thats just what it's gonna come down to is opinion. Ya know though, it's not even just about looks. A lot of the characters that look very Asian also sound Asian. Most of the ones that I would say look Caucasian sound American. Tell me you've noticed that. To make myself clear, I'm not saying that all that sound American are Caucasian.

Acctually, all of the younger characters have American accents and the adults go either way.

Yes, I agree with that. I can't recall hearing any Asian accented kids, but there are adults for sure. Not to mention the Guru, who I guess sounded like he had a Indian accent.

1337Bloodbender

[244]Feb 24, 2008
    • level: 24
    superSokka wrote:
    ElysianGem wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

Yes, I agree with that. I can't recall hearing any Asian accented kids, but there are adults for sure. Not to mention the Guru, who I guess sounded like he had a Indian accent.
    Indeed, Iroh would need to have an Asian accent too.

Oh and this is like my 1st post in over a month.

[245]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 42
    1337Bloodbender wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    ElysianGem wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

Indeed, Iroh would need to have an Asian accent too.

Oh and this is like my 1st post in over a month.

Good to see ya back 1337bloodbender

LeonMorado

[246]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 19
    you can't realy say a character isn't asian-based because of their accents, though. the fact that they're all speaking english in the first place rules that out as a factor.

[247]Feb 25, 2008
    • level: 3

Hey, as a newcomer to tv.com, I see that the ATLA movie discussion is well under way! Anyway just to add my thoughts...although speculating is fun, I think that perhaps relaxing and and just waiting for the casting announcements could be beneficial. Other discussion topics, i.e. the attached actors, CGI pros and cons... are what I am really interested in. Race seems to be a burning topic, and I can see why, but as according to DrAvatar, the casting directors are accepting auditions for all races, the actor's acting ability is more important. I'm sure the movie will be great, despite its large shoes to fill(from the amzing show!). And might I add, I can't wait for the next Avatar episode to air!! ahhhhg

P.S. APPA AND MOMO.....FOREVER!

superSokka

[248]Feb 26, 2008
    LeonMorado wrote:
    you can't realy say a character isn't asian-based because of their accents, though. the fact that they're all speaking english in the first place rules that out as a factor.
    They are all speaking English because the cartoon was created by English speaking Mike and Brian. The theme is Asian because M&B were partial to it. The people of Avatar show diversity through the elements, accents, and looks. The point is, just because the theme is Asian, it doesn't mean that everyone on the show is Asian. After all, even though it's the Avatar world, it's still a WORLD.

superSokka

[249]Feb 26, 2008

Hey, as a newcomer to tv.com, I see that the ATLA movie discussion is well under way! Anyway just to add my thoughts...although speculating is fun, I think that perhaps relaxing and and just waiting for the casting announcements could be beneficial.

Wheres the fun in that!

[250]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 42
    superSokka wrote:

Hey, as a newcomer to tv.com, I see that the ATLA movie discussion is well under way! Anyway just to add my thoughts...although speculating is fun, I think that perhaps relaxing and and just waiting for the casting announcements could be beneficial.

Wheres the fun in that!

Exactly where is the fun in relaxing

NJNoob

[251]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 5

Hey, as a newcomer to tv.com, I see that the ATLA movie discussion is well under way! Anyway just to add my thoughts...although speculating is fun, I think that perhaps relaxing and and just waiting for the casting announcements could be beneficial. Other discussion topics, i.e. the attached actors, CGI pros and cons... are what I am really interested in. Race seems to be a burning topic, and I can see why, but as according to DrAvatar, the casting directors are accepting auditions for all races, the actor's acting ability is more important. I'm sure the movie will be great, despite its large shoes to fill(from the amzing show!). And might I add, I can't wait for the next Avatar episode to air!! ahhhhg

P.S. APPA AND MOMO.....FOREVER!

All races? I can't wait to see a black Katara...

[252]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 3

ok you're right, it's MUCH more fun to speculate, it just seemed like people got too forceful at times...

even though they've kind of changed aang's age in the movie (isn't jonathan nguyen 17?), do you think they'll keep Zuko, Katara, Azula and Sokka's ages the same? Especially Azula, I know she's supposed to be 15, but she always seemed to be much older on the show, in my opinion.

Spike815

[253]Feb 26, 2008
    • level: 14

ok you're right, it's MUCH more fun to speculate, it just seemed like people got too forceful at times...

even though they've kind of changed aang's age in the movie (isn't jonathan nguyen 17?), do you think they'll keep Zuko, Katara, Azula and Sokka's ages the same? Especially Azula, I know she's supposed to be 15, but she always seemed to be much older on the show, in my opinion.

She's 14 actually.

And they'll probably bump all the main characters ages up a bit. The older they are the more experiance and training they will have, which makes a better movie. They may play with some ages, make some people older or younger as they see fit, etc.

superSokka

[254]Feb 26, 2008
    I just want Aang to look as close to 12 as they can get him. One of the main basis of the show is that Aang not only has to save the world, but he has to do so as a young child. If there are gonna be 3 movies then he needs to be young enough to make all 3 movies. By the time we all get to see the 3rd movie I don't want to see a 20 yearold, or older, defeat the Firelord.

Nickylucas

[255]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 23
    Spacerac wrote:
    I still wonder how they're going to take a whole Season and compress it into 2-3 hours.
    They're gonna have to cut out an auful lot. But I Bet they wouldn't ruin it.??

momothelemur

[256]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 13
    Spike815 wrote:

She's 14 actually. And they'll probably bump all the main characters ages up a bit. The older they are the more experiance and training they will have, which makes a better movie. They may play with some ages, make some people older or younger as they see fit, etc.

I apologise right away for bringing shipping into this, but if Kataang happens in the show then in the movie they can't make Katara much older than she already is. Like the post above me said, one of the key elements of Avatar is that Aang is a twelve year old saving the world, so his age will probably be the same in the film. But if Katara is sixteen or something, then it'd be kind of creepy to watch her kiss the twelve year old Aang (and I'm talking characters, not actors here).

wiseone_777

[257]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 10
    momothelemur wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:

She's 14 actually. And they'll probably bump all the main characters ages up a bit. The older they are the more experiance and training they will have, which makes a better movie. They may play with some ages, make some people older or younger as they see fit, etc.

I apologise right away for bringing shipping into this, but if Kataang happens in the show then in the movie they can't make Katara much older than she already is. Like the post above me said, one of the key elements of Avatar is that Aang is a twelve year old saving the world, so his age will probably be the same in the film. But if Katara is sixteen or something, then it'd be kind of creepy to watch her kiss the twelve year old Aang (and I'm talking characters, not actors here).

*sigh* shipping If Aang being 12 is soooo important, then they'll probably make Katara 12 or 13 since HER age is not important. Unless you think that is important?

MarryLarry

[258]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 11

The actors will probably be a few years older than the characters they portray for practical reasons.

All 3 movies will take about 3 to 6 years to make. So if the kids start out as 12, there'll be a noticeable difference in their age as the movies progress and since the movies' timeline will be less than a year. It'd be like watching the Harry Potter movies knowing all 7 take place within a year.

superSokka

[259]Feb 27, 2008
    MarryLarry wrote:

The actors will probably be a few years older than the characters they portray for practical reasons.

All 3 movies will take about 3 to 6 years to make. So if the kids start out as 12, there'll be a noticeable difference in their age as the movies progress and since the movies' timeline will be less than a year. It'd be like watching the Harry Potter movies knowing all 7 take place within a year.

I see your point, but wouldn't you still run into the same problem? I mean if the guy playing Aang is 17 then it's possible to say that 3 movies will take at least 4 years to make if not longer. That means by the time Aang defeats the Firelord the guy playing his character wil be 21! Now using the same logic, if you have a kid playing Ang thats only 12, then by the end of 4 years and 3 movies later he would only be 16. So yes, there is a difference between 12 and 16, but I don't want to see Aang defeat the Firelord looking like hes gonna celebrate with a six-pack. Know what I mean?

MarryLarry

[260]Feb 27, 2008
    • level: 11
    superSokka wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

I see your point, but wouldn't you still run into the same problem? I mean if the guy playing Aang is 17 then it's possible to say that 3 movies will take at least 4 years to make if not longer. That means by the time Aang defeats the Firelord the guy playing his character wil be 21! Now using the same logic, if you have a kid playing Ang thats only 12, then by the end of 4 years and 3 movies later he would only be 16. So yes, there is a difference between 12 and 16, but I don't want to see Aang defeat the Firelord looking like hes gonna celebrate with a six-pack. Know what I mean?

As one gets older, aging becomes less apparent. One who is 22 doesn't look that different than when he was 19, whereas one who is 15 looks very different from when he was 12.