We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[181]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 4
    gamer_86 wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

WHAT !?!?!?! this is **** ! Its gonna be the worst movie ever made, sincerly, they should take americans in an asian world instead, its gonna be a real crap, worst than the power rangers. Why they are so stupid, they made a great cartoon, but they are going to blow the franchise with that ****.

Even the japanese take americans models for their characters in videogames.

I think the opposite of you lol.

Lets take it from the beginning, making a movie of avatar, is a BAD IDEA (period). Its like making a DBz movie, a mario bros movie, a sonic movie, etc.. Unless, yes unless, it can be extremly near the reality, I talk about making the details less cliche, less caricatured and I dont think its gonna happen, because the audience is for child. So, I predict a Power Rangers movie, mixed with the four elements.
    actually, no that you mention it, there is a dragonball movie in production scheduled to start in august. james masters is piccolo and chow yun fat is master roshi. and there was a mario bros. movie. it was campy and weird, but it's a cult classic at this point. lots of movie adaptations turn out great. batman, spider-man, transformers, x-men, just to name a few. srsly, you're still just jumping to all these groundless conclusions about what the movie's gonna be like based on absolutely nothing. your prediction has no basis whatsoever. you could at least wait until they actually start doing something before you start you shooting them down for it.

James Marsters is in a DBZ movie? That'll be odd. Anyway, I agree with you LeonMorado.

why dont they just use actors that look like the cartoon characters, so if they look like a white person then its a should be a white actor, if asain lookin asian actor, wouldnt that be alot easier?

Because basing it solely on appearance means that the movie will be lacking in acting ability. Seriously. Ever heard of the live action movie of Street Fighter? I didn't hear about it until a few months ago, and apparently they made it when I was a kid. They said the movie sucked as hell.

I know it'd be cool if the characters look like their cartoon counterparts but I don't want a sucky movie with lots of sauce and barely any meat.... ya know what I'm sayin'?

ofcourse they are going to found good actors in it, the plot has to rely on good acting to get the points across, and street fighter was a video game that had no plot and it was an joncluad vandam* movie those always suck!! also the map in avatar is soppost to represent the world, i think, so y would u think itll just be an all asian film or and all white film?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gamer_86

[182]Feb 14, 2008
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

WHAT !?!?!?! this is **** ! Its gonna be the worst movie ever made, sincerly, they should take americans in an asian world instead, its gonna be a real crap, worst than the power rangers. Why they are so stupid, they made a great cartoon, but they are going to blow the franchise with that ****.

Lets take it from the beginning, making a movie of avatar, is a BAD IDEA (period). Its like making a DBz movie, a mario bros movie, a sonic movie, etc.. Unless, yes unless, it can be extremly near the reality, I talk about making the details less cliche, less caricatured and I dont think its gonna happen, because the audience is for child. So, I predict a Power Rangers movie, mixed with the four elements.
    actually, no that you mention it, there is a dragonball movie in production scheduled to start in august. james masters is piccolo and chow yun fat is master roshi. and there was a mario bros. movie. it was campy and weird, but it's a cult classic at this point. lots of movie adaptations turn out great. batman, spider-man, transformers, x-men, just to name a few. srsly, you're still just jumping to all these groundless conclusions about what the movie's gonna be like based on absolutely nothing. your prediction has no basis whatsoever. you could at least wait until they actually start doing something before you start you shooting them down for it.

James Marsters is in a DBZ movie? That'll be odd. Anyway, I agree with you LeonMorado.

why dont they just use actors that look like the cartoon characters, so if they look like a white person then its a should be a white actor, if asain lookin asian actor, wouldnt that be alot easier?

Because basing it solely on appearance means that the movie will be lacking in acting ability. Seriously. Ever heard of the live action movie of Street Fighter? I didn't hear about it until a few months ago, and apparently they made it when I was a kid. They said the movie sucked as hell.

I know it'd be cool if the characters look like their cartoon counterparts but I don't want a sucky movie with lots of sauce and barely any meat.... ya know what I'm sayin'?

ofcourse they are going to found good actors in it, the plot has to rely on good acting to get the points across, and street fighter was a video game that had no plot and it was an joncluad vandam* movie those always suck!! also the map in avatar is soppost to represent the world, i think, so y would u think itll just be an all asian film or and all white film?

I think you missed my point. I never said that it'll be an all asian or white film. I said the movie cannot *just* rely *solely* on good looks and matching the appearances. It could be that they find all good actors and the movie will be all asian. On the other hand, the same could be said true about having an all white actors.

Ya know what I'm sayin'?

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[183]Feb 15, 2008
    gamer_86 wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

I think you missed my point. I never said that it'll be an all asian or white film. I said the movie cannot *just* rely *solely* on good looks and matching the appearances. It could be that they find all good actors and the movie will be all asian. On the other hand, the same could be said true about having an all white actors.

Ya know what I'm sayin'?

ya i know what u saying but i just dont want the movies to just have one basic race, the avatar map represents the worl and the each nation represents a place or many race of people, for example katara and sokka are eskimo's from the south pole, now would there character in the movie be white or native???? and i think it makes a huge difference for them to get those characteristics across! because to show the audience that its a multi race world and to show that aang and the gang have been and known the poeple of the world. And does anybody know if Jonathan Nguyen is a good actor bc he sure does look like him????

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[184]Feb 15, 2008
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one. I love that they are using an asian actor to portray a character that lives in a world that is based on asian culture. It makes perfect sense that they would do that. And what's so wrong with using an all Asian cast??? I just can't understand why so many are against the idea. There are plenty of great actors who are of Asian decent. Besides, there are a lot of movies that call for a certain ethinc appearance for a character. And there are even more strict standards when one is adapting a tv show into a movie. You pretty much have your characters appearance choosen for you, and its just a matter of finding a match that is as close as possible and has the talent. Personally, being african-american I get a little tired of seeing television and movies dominated by one type of ethinc or racial group. A little more vairety is ALWAYS a welcome change for me may it black, asian, or latino. I have complete faith that Mike and Bryan know who they want for their movie. And if Jonathan Nguyen takes the role, than more power to him, and I will be cheering him on all the way!
    Who said anything about it being all white people? I'm a white guy, and I love watching movies with and without white people in it. Matter a fact, I think it should be a combination of all types of people in the movie. If they did make it all Asians I can't say I would be tremendously bothered by it, but I think I would prefer a variety. It's just that when a lot of people look at the pic provided of Nguyen they don't see Aang. It's that way for me anyway.
    Ok, what isn't making any sense to me is why there should be a variety of ethnicities in a movie that is based on asian culture with characters that look asian? Why? Someone explain to me why they think there should be a variety of ethnicities aside from various asian groups in this movie. Please? I just don't undrestand.
    there should be a varitey of ethnicities because the avatar map represents the world, katara and sokka are both native eskimos, and aang is semi causasian and semi asian it seems. but in the avatar world it seems there are asain, caukasain and darker skin peeps in the episodes. so y would you have all asian cast when throughtout all the episodes aang is traveling from nation to nation meeting new people(races) and new cultures. by having an all asian cast restricts the idea and the purpose of having 4 nations. because i think the 4 nations represent the 4 different elements and different cultures (ideas, races, beleifs, lifestyle "firenation compared to southern water tribes lifestyle")

LeonMorado

[185]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 19
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one. I love that they are using an asian actor to portray a character that lives in a world that is based on asian culture. It makes perfect sense that they would do that. And what's so wrong with using an all Asian cast??? I just can't understand why so many are against the idea. There are plenty of great actors who are of Asian decent. Besides, there are a lot of movies that call for a certain ethinc appearance for a character. And there are even more strict standards when one is adapting a tv show into a movie. You pretty much have your characters appearance choosen for you, and its just a matter of finding a match that is as close as possible and has the talent. Personally, being african-american I get a little tired of seeing television and movies dominated by one type of ethinc or racial group. A little more vairety is ALWAYS a welcome change for me may it black, asian, or latino. I have complete faith that Mike and Bryan know who they want for their movie. And if Jonathan Nguyen takes the role, than more power to him, and I will be cheering him on all the way!
    Who said anything about it being all white people? I'm a white guy, and I love watching movies with and without white people in it. Matter a fact, I think it should be a combination of all types of people in the movie. If they did make it all Asians I can't say I would be tremendously bothered by it, but I think I would prefer a variety. It's just that when a lot of people look at the pic provided of Nguyen they don't see Aang. It's that way for me anyway.
    Ok, what isn't making any sense to me is why there should be a variety of ethnicities in a movie that is based on asian culture with characters that look asian? Why? Someone explain to me why they think there should be a variety of ethnicities aside from various asian groups in this movie. Please? I just don't undrestand.
    there should be a varitey of ethnicities because the avatar map represents the world, katara and sokka are both native eskimos, and aang is semi causasian and semi asian it seems. but in the avatar world it seems there are asain, caukasain and darker skin peeps in the episodes. so y would you have all asian cast when throughtout all the episodes aang is traveling from nation to nation meeting new people(races) and new cultures. by having an all asian cast restricts the idea and the purpose of having 4 nations. because i think the 4 nations represent the 4 different elements and different cultures (ideas, races, beleifs, lifestyle "firenation compared to southern water tribes lifestyle")
    the problem is the avatar world doesn't represent the earth. they're almost entirely asian-based. aang is not semi white, he's based on tibetan monks like all the other airbenders. there are darker skinned people, but guess what? asia has dark skinned people. the only non asian-based cultures are the water tribes and the sun warriors. but inuit and aztec still don't cover the bulk of north america, europe, africa, and australia
    Edited on 02/15/2008 9:26am

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[186]Feb 15, 2008
    LeonMorado wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

the problem is the avatar world doesn't represent the earth. they're almost entirely asian-based. aang is not semi white, he's based on tibetan monks like all the other airbenders. there are darker skinned people, but guess what? asia has dark skinned people. the only non asian-based cultures are the water tribes and the sun warriors. but inuit and aztec still don't cover the bulk of north america, europe, africa, and australia
    haha so your telling me that katara and sokka do not represent the eskimos????? first they do bc they are not asian. the north and south pole respresents earths north and south poles. also Aztezs arent in asia there r in latin america. your totally wrong sayn that avatar world represents asia. another thing is that the four elements are not just found in asia but also on EARTH!!!

LeonMorado

[187]Feb 15, 2008
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

haha so your telling me that katara and sokka do not represent the eskimos????? first they do bc they are not asian. the north and south pole respresents earths north and south poles. also Aztezs arent in asia there r in latin america. your totally wrong sayn that avatar world represents asia. another thing is that the four elements are not just found in asia but also on EARTH!!!
    read my post again. i didn't say it represents asia, i said it's almost entirely asian based, which is obviously not an accurate representation of the earth's population. and i said that the water tribes and sun warriors are not asian-based. they're based on inuit and aztec cultures respectively.

and btw, the inuit don't live at the north and south poles, antarctica has no native people, and the inuit live in the arctic tundra, not at the pole.

sayitagain

[188]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 2
    I agree with LeonMorado; As Avatar is drawn in the anime style, every character is asian-based. Simply because Aang's eyes are extremely large -- whose eyes are that large anyway, caucasian or asian? -- does not mean he is not asian. Not all asians have tiny eyes. People seem to think Aang is white, but from looking at the rest of the airbender tribe, that is simply not true. Every airbender seems to be based on the Tibetan monks, and Aang is no exception. His wide eyes are most likely to make him seem younger, and more innocent, not an indication of his race. The same goes for Ty Lee; she is unmistakably anime, and thus also asian-based. I think it would be very strange if the Avatar live action movie featured mostly whites due to the asian feel of the cartoon.

tomtitan

[189]Feb 15, 2008
    i think it really doesn't matter wht race the actors are, what does matter is their ability to act.
    /discussion, new topic please.

so, any info about the movie?

picaboomman

[190]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 18
    tomtitan wrote:
    i think it really doesn't matter wht race the actors are, what does matter is their ability to act.
    /discussion, new topic please.

so, any info about the movie?

it kind of matters if they look nothing alike. anyway, this dude looks like he isi 15 or 16. he will never pull it off

gamer_86

[191]Feb 15, 2008

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    i think it really doesn't matter wht race the actors are, what does matter is their ability to act. /discussion, new topic please. so, any info about the movie?
    it kind of matters if they look nothing alike. anyway, this dude looks like he isi 15 or 16. he will never pull it off

Age doesn't matter much as long as it's close to the age of their character. The OC actors are in their 20s and 30s but they played characters that are supposedly in their teens and 40s.

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[192]Feb 15, 2008
    ya well nowadays with make up and stuff they can find actors simular to the animation, as in the newer superman movie. hope they just dont put a actor in it just because theyre popular!!

DrAvatar

[193]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 16
    Sorry no recent news everyone. But some people have asked questions about the CGI for the movie. If you want an idea of the quality of the CGI you might want to go see The Spiderwick Chronicles which has just been released. Since it was made by the same company(Nick/Paramount) and has a similar budget it will probably be a good indicatior of CGI quality wise.

ElysianGem

[194]Feb 15, 2008
    • level: 8

sayitagain wrote:
    I agree with LeonMorado; As Avatar is drawn in the anime style, every character is asian-based. Simply because Aang's eyes are extremely large -- whose eyes are that large anyway, caucasian or asian? -- does not mean he is not asian. Not all asians have tiny eyes. People seem to think Aang is white, but from looking at the rest of the airbender tribe, that is simply not true. Every airbender seems to be based on the Tibetan monks, and Aang is no exception. His wide eyes are most likely to make him seem younger, and more innocent, not an indication of his race. The same goes for Ty Lee; she is unmistakably anime, and thus also asian-based. I think it would be very strange if the Avatar live action movie featured mostly whites due to the asian feel of the cartoon.

That sums up what I was trying to say a few weeks ago.

shartman63

[195]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 7
    is that guy really gonna play Aang?

DrAvatar

[196]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 16
    shartman63 wrote:
    is that guy really gonna play Aang?
    Maybe

picaboomman

[197]Feb 16, 2008
    gamer_86 wrote:

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    i think it really doesn't matter wht race the actors are, what does matter is their ability to act. /discussion, new topic please. so, any info about the movie?

Age doesn't matter much as long as it's close to the age of their character. The OC actors are in their 20s and 30s but they played characters that are supposedly in their teens and 40s.

ok, ur comparing a show with real people to a cartoon. age does matter. so by ur logic, a 25 year old can play aang. you know what, scratch that, a 35 year old can play aang since age doesnt matter. and can you explain to me how a 16 or 15 year old can play a really goofy 12 year old?
    Edited on 02/16/2008 10:56am

Spike815

[198]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    picaboomman wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:

ok, ur comparing a show with real people to a cartoon. age does matter. so by ur logic, a 25 year old can play aang. you know what, scratch that, a 35 year old can play aang since age doesnt matter. and can you explain to me how a 16 or 15 year old can play a really goofy 12 year old?

The movie will have real people too...

picaboomman

[199]Feb 16, 2008
    Spike815 wrote:
    picaboomman wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:

yes, but how will a 15/16 year old pull of aang, a goofy 12 year old?

Edited on 02/16/2008 11:20am

Spike815

[200]Feb 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    picaboomman wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    picaboomman wrote:
    gamer_86 wrote:

picaboomman wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:

yes, but how will a 15/16 year old pull of aang, a goofy 12 year old?

Make-up and acting. It's Hollywood dude.