We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

louisesmit

[222]Feb 19, 2008
    • level: 2
    Hey Dr Avatar
    I read the information you posted about the Avatar live action movie-,
    and you said to send you a message if we want to know more about the casting infomation.
    I really really want to audition for this movie.
    so any information is much appreciated.
    thankyou so much

Louise
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[225]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 4
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

The first time I saw a picture of Jonathan Nguyen I thought he was going to play Zuko.

As for the whole 'it has to be all Asians in the movie' while the show is based on the culture it doesn't mean that every one is Asian. The Avatar map represents their world not ours, now some nations are Asian but others like the Southern Water Tribe are based on Inuits, Sun Warriors are from Mayan/Aztec origins and the swamp benders are a Hillbilly-Cajun mix. With that being said; why can't the Avatar world diversity reflect the diversity in our world?

it's not that it can't it's that it already doesn't. the water tribes and sun warriors may not be Asian-based, but everyone else is. it's a theme that runs through every aspect of the show, and you can't ignore the foundation the show is built on just to be PC about the casting.
    I could not disagree with you more. Look at the residents of Ba Sing Se, yes they look Asian, but look at the city of Omashu. I don't care what they are wearing, that city clearly looks Caucasian.

dont forget the caucasian rednecks in the swamp, and they were definity some rednecks!!

superSokka

[227]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 7
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

The first time I saw a picture of Jonathan Nguyen I thought he was going to play Zuko.

As for the whole 'it has to be all Asians in the movie' while the show is based on the culture it doesn't mean that every one is Asian. The Avatar map represents their world not ours, now some nations are Asian but others like the Southern Water Tribe are based on Inuits, Sun Warriors are from Mayan/Aztec origins and the swamp benders are a Hillbilly-Cajun mix. With that being said; why can't the Avatar world diversity reflect the diversity in our world?

it's not that it can't it's that it already doesn't. the water tribes and sun warriors may not be Asian-based, but everyone else is. it's a theme that runs through every aspect of the show, and you can't ignore the foundation the show is built on just to be PC about the casting.
    I could not disagree with you more. Look at the residents of Ba Sing Se, yes they look Asian, but look at the city of Omashu. I don't care what they are wearing, that city clearly looks Caucasian.
    dont forget the Caucasian rednecks in the swamp, and they were definitely some rednecks!!
    Yeah, they're rednecks if I've ever seen one.

As for the theme, I don't understand why it matters so much. Mike and Brian had to use some kind of theme or come up with one on their own. It can be hard to create your own theme and be consistent with it. It was probably just easier to use an Asian theme. However, they clearly did not make all of the characters on the show resemble Asian people. So the point being, it doesn't matter what the theme is. There is obviously ethnic diversity in the Avatar world, and it should remain through out the movies, as should the Asian theme.

DrAvatar

[228]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 16

Since people seem SO interested in this topic I think I should mention that they agency doing auditions is accepting auditions from every race.

EditL I sent the casting info via Private Message.

Edited on 02/20/2008 1:20pm

_Nalesnik_

[229]Feb 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    lulz, what's with all the ppl looking for audition opportunities here? I gotta say, if your fishing around for auditions on this site, (which I assume some ppl stumble upon thru google) then you have a very slim chance of making it. (no offence)

tomtitan

[230]Feb 21, 2008
    • level: 19
    i'd love to audition. i'm quite a good actor and i know martial arts!
    unfortunately i happen to be ginger-haired and british.

idk actually, maybe a ginger zuko with a british accent would be a nice touch!

LeonMorado

[231]Feb 21, 2008
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    pureangel86 wrote:

dont forget the caucasian rednecks in the swamp, and they were definity some rednecks!!
    a)how does a city look caucasian? that makes no sense.

b)i already mentioned that the water tribes are not asian based.

c)interview with mike and bryan: "...we wanted to create a mythology that was based on Eastern culture, rather than Western culture. Although "Avatar" isn't based on a specific Asian myth, we were inspired by Asian mythology, as well as Kung Fu, Yoga, and Eastern Philosophy."

you can't argue with the source.

sayitagain

[232]Feb 21, 2008

Okay...this whole race thing is getting...yeah. But really. As the show is ANIME, everybody is asian-based. The changes in eye color are not an indication of race. Neither is the size of the eye, that is simply for characterization (to make Aang and Ty Lee more innocent, childish).

Someone mentioned that the city of Ba Sing Se looked caucasian. Assuming that they meant that the PEOPLE of the city looked caucasian, I would have to disagree. Just take a look at the Dai Li.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/City_of_Walls_and_Secrets-_Dai_Lee.JPG

And Aang is unmistakably asian. Take a look at this picture of him as a baby.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/94/Aang-baby.jpg

Caucasian? I think not. And look at the rest of the airbenders.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b5/AN_Monks_5.png

Also, I think everyone is forgetting that the movie is BASED ON the tv show, not an exact replication. People keep mentioning Jonathan Nyugen and Aang's age difference, but in the movie, Aang could be a 16 year old boy. I am guessing that they will play up the romance with Katara in the movie, after all, it is Hollywood, and casting a goofy 12-year old would be pretty strange if Katara is about 15. Remember, the show is ANIMATED. Real life is very different, and the rules change.

The Avatar tv show is a great show, but in translating it into a movie, a lot of its elements will most likely be lost, or adjusted. There will probably be less silly moments, and the movie will probably be more serious. I am expecting an action-packed movie, not a comedy.

superSokka

[233]Feb 21, 2008

Noooooo! Please reread my posts. I said the city of Omashu looked Caucasian not Ba Sing Se, and yes I did mean the people.

As far as what Mike and Brian said thats fine. It still does not dispute what I have said, so by that, I am not arguing with the facts. I understand that they preferred to use the Asian culture theme over others. For me thats not the debate. The debate is the people. They are all clearly a mix of different ethnicities. It really seems to vary from person to person, but I thought it looked the most obvious between Omashu and Ba Sing Se. Just go back and check out the population and the way they look. I'm not saying that everyone in either city is all one race, but there is definitely a variety.

And by the way, you both seem agitated and kind of condescending. You guys can relax. I do not wish to get hostile over Avatar.

Edited on 02/21/2008 6:13pm

tomtitan

[234]Feb 22, 2008
    sayitagain wrote:

Okay...this whole race thing is getting...yeah. But really. As the show is ANIME, everybody is asian-based. The changes in eye color are not an indication of race. Neither is the size of the eye, that is simply for characterization (to make Aang and Ty Lee more innocent, childish).

Someone mentioned that the city of Ba Sing Se looked caucasian. Assuming that they meant that the PEOPLE of the city looked caucasian, I would have to disagree. Just take a look at the Dai Li.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/City_of_Walls_and_Secrets-_Dai_Lee.JPG

Also, I think everyone is forgetting that the movie is BASED ON the tv show, not an exact replication. People keep mentioning Jonathan Nyugen and Aang's age difference, but in the movie, Aang could be a 16 year old boy. I am guessing that they will play up the romance with Katara in the movie, after all, it is Hollywood, and casting a goofy 12-year old would be pretty strange if Katara is about 15. Remember, the show is ANIMATED. Real life is very different, and the rules change.

The Avatar tv show is a great show, but in translating it into a movie, a lot of its elements will most likely be lost, or adjusted. There will probably be less silly moments, and the movie will probably be more serious. I am expecting an action-packed movie, not a comedy.

but the show isn't an anime, it's based off of several animes, and it has anime themes, but it was made by americans in america.

_Nalesnik_

[235]Feb 22, 2008
    • level: 12
    tomtitan wrote:
    sayitagain wrote:

but the show isn't an anime, it's based off of several animes, and it has anime themes, but it was made by americans in america.

...in America!

tomtitan

[236]Feb 22, 2008
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:
    tomtitan wrote:
    sayitagain wrote:

...in America!
    i'm sorry, what? try speaking american, it's the only language i understand!

LeonMorado

[237]Feb 22, 2008
    superSokka wrote:

Noooooo! Please reread my posts. I said the city of Omashu looked Caucasian not Ba Sing Se, and yes I did mean the people.

As far as what Mike and Brian said thats fine. It still does not dispute what I have said, so by that, I am not arguing with the facts. I understand that they preferred to use the Asian culture theme over others. For me thats not the debate. The debate is the people. They are all clearly a mix of different ethnicities. It really seems to vary from person to person, but I thought it looked the most obvious between Omashu and Ba Sing Se. Just go back and check out the population and the way they look. I'm not saying that everyone in either city is all one race, but there is definitely a variety.

And by the way, you both seem agitated and kind of condescending. You guys can relax. I do not wish to get hostile over Avatar.

no one's getting hostile here, but you're claiming these people look white, and frankly, i don't see it.
    [link]
    [link]
    [link]
    [link]

sayitagain

[238]Feb 22, 2008
    ok...supersokka sorry for sounding so mean, i don't know i guess i was in a pushy mood. But I agree that these posts are losing their fun. But we are all avid avatar fans here, so we have that in common! And I guess I will just wait and see for the movie, I'm sure it will be spectacular.

superSokka

[239]Feb 22, 2008
    LeonMorado wrote:
    superSokka wrote:

no one's getting hostile here, but you're claiming these people look white, and frankly, i don't see it.
    There are those that IMO do look Caucasian, and there those that look Asian. I would say that there are some of both in your links that you have provided. Maybe thats just what it's gonna come down to is opinion. Ya know though, it's not even just about looks. A lot of the characters that look very Asian also sound Asian. Most of the ones that I would say look Caucasian sound American. Tell me you've noticed that. To make myself clear, I'm not saying that all that sound American are Caucasian.

superSokka

[240]Feb 22, 2008

sayitagain wrote:
    ok...supersokka sorry for sounding so mean, i don't know i guess i was in a pushy mood. But I agree that these posts are losing their fun. But we are all avid avatar fans here, so we have that in common! And I guess I will just wait and see for the movie, I'm sure it will be spectacular.
    Thats cool, it's just real easy to get carried away with this kind stuff and even easier to forget your manner's when you're just typing on a computer. I do the same thing sometimes.

As far as the movie goes I am very excited! Dr Avatar did say that they are excepting interviews from all ethnicities so who knows what we'll end up with. What ever it is I just hope it's done well with whom ever they pick for the roles.