We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

jadephantom101

[1]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 3

Ok, so there's this huge movement going on at a livejournal community called Aang Ain't White: http://aang-aint-white.livejournal.com/646.html

Please excuse me if this has already been mentioned in the official Avatar movie post but I'd love for more people to join in this honorable movement! As an Asian American, I feel so happy to know that people are actually caring about things like rasicm in hollywood. And I also feel proud that my generation is growing up better than the last generation did...the generation of Jim Crow laws and Japanese internment camps. *shrudders*

But...although most people agree that Sokka and Katara are NOT white one bit, what about Aang? Is he white? Or Tibetian? Or may be a white Tibetian? What about Zuko? A lot of people have said that Zuko and Azula and their whole family are Asian. May be, they definitely could pass off as Asian. But could they be white? Or half white, half Asian? Or does it really not matter? xD

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

isabelwhatx

[2]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 14
    I believe Aang is about as Caucasian as it gets, but Zuko and the royal family are definitely Asian.

XODaY_LiiTeXo

[3]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 3
    jadephantom101 wrote:

But...although most people agree that Sokka and Katara are NOT white one bit, what about Aang? Is he white? Or Tibetian? Or may be a white Tibetian? What about Zuko? A lot of people have said that Zuko and Azula and their whole family are Asian. May be, they definitely could pass off as Asian. But could they be white? Or half white, half Asian? Or does it really not matter? xD

i think he's talkin about the cast in general. its and an asian based american show, so the cast should be asian american.

an american accent but asian feautres that resemble the cast.

but i don't really care too much as long as they can act, its alllll goodiee to me

but i'll join it cuz i really don't think the people they chose can act out the person their playin -_-

_Flutterlight_

[4]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 15

I agree that the casting choices stink... (Jessie Mcartney as ZUKO? Even the oldest Jonas brother would have been better!)

But I don't think it matters if the avatar characters are white or not. Sure Avatar's an animea, and some might argue that art style implys the characters are "asian". But keep in mind, animea was actually based off of Walt Disney's animations, and Walt Disney was white, and so were his characters. (The people, not the animals.) Speed Racer was an asian guy's attempt to bring super-hero comics to his country.

So Avatar's style, which some argue isn't really animea because it's American, is a rip-off off of a rip-off.

Personally, I don't care what nationality the actors are from. I just think they should resemble their characters. Zuko's actor should have dark hair, pale skin, and smallish eyes. Whereas Aang should actually be played by a kid, with slightly less pale skin than Zuko, dark hair, and big greyish eyes. Katara and Sokka shouldn't be asians, because they don't look asian, they look like the inuits their character designs were based off of. It's as simple as that.

Edited on 12/20/2008 2:36pm

MarryLarry

[5]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 11

This little petition thing might have worked had it been done before or during the casting tryouts. But, the thing is once a movie company and an actor/actress agree to do a part, they get "signed on" which means they enter into a contract that's legally binding. That means each party has to fullfil their end of the deal and the only way it can be canceled is if both agree to it. Otherwise the one who breaks the contract can face a serious lawsuit.

Now, I highly doubt any of the known cast members would willingly give up what could be viewed as a role of a lifetime, so that leaves Viacom and the only way they're getting out of the contract is if they do what's called a 'buy out' which means giving the actors a certain sum of money until they agree to the contract cancelation. And if you know anything about the corporate world, you know that they don't spend money unless the chances are good that they'll make a profit from it.

So unless they foresee that the casting is going to cost them more at the boxoffice than the buy out, chances are it ain't happening. The petition is going to need an insane amount of signees if it ever hopes to even reach the desktop of a lowly secretary.

And in my opinion, I think some people are going a little far when they say the cast is a result of "Hollywood racism," since all the cast is approved by M. Night, who is himself east Indian, and whose culture has a major impact in all areas of the show.

So if you think the cast so far is 'meh,' blame it on poor casting quality instead of racism. /endlongpsa

Edited on 12/20/2008 7:18pm

Jackson5050

[6]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 12
    I am torn on this subject. As we saw in Episode 3-2, Aang is a spectacular dancer. That is an indication that he is not white. However, I could not careless, so I have not given this subject any thought whatsoever.

confucioussayhi

[7]Dec 20, 2008
    MarryLarry wrote:
    And in my opinion, I think some people are going a little far when they say the cast is a result of "Hollywood racism," since all the cast is approved by M. Night, who is himself east Indian, and whose culture has a major impact in all areas of the show.
    Lolz, one idiot called him a "traitor to the race". Myself being the eternal cynic, I think the movie will suck nuts anyways. Who cares what they are, as long as they can act and look the part?

ranger8060

[8]Dec 20, 2008
    • level: 7

I'm pretty happy with the cast except for Jesse McCartney but we just have to wait and see. Everyone thought the same about Heath (RIP) and Christian Bale. Look at what happened to them. I also think that Uncle Iroh shouldnt have that big of an American Accent.

What about Greg Baldwin as Iroh. I think he could pull it off. Plus, we would get Iroh's voice on the big screen.

tenacon

[9]Dec 21, 2008
    • level: 10

I'm too lazy to make a letter. Yu-Aang-Oh time.!

Aang Ain't white

Go post this card everywhere!

Falcondude123

[10]Dec 21, 2008
    Not to insult this thread's creator, but racism is almost a non-issue in this country these days. We just elected a black president for crying out loud! And no, I didn't vote for him, but not because he's black. I didn't like his views on Iraq and Healthcare. McCain was only slightly better. Still, I know Obama will be a strong president, and not because he's black, but because of his character.
    The Japanese internment camps during WW2 were a ridiculous reaction to Pearl Harbor, spurred out of fear, not racism.
    Jim Crowe Laws were very evil things. The KKK and lynchings were some of the most evil and horrid things in this country's history. But they are practically extinct today.
    With all due respect, it is not the time to use the past as an excuse to get special treatment for individuals who never had to suffer personally. Now is the time to learn from the past, and give equal opportunity to all individuals as far as work and life are concerned.

As for Aang being white, do you not know that caucasians were once common in ancient China? It's true! They have caucasian mummies from ancient Chinese tombs to prove it!

Even if they didn't, this show does not take place anywhere in Asia, my friend. It takes place in a mythical world/land inspired loosely by ancient asian culture. It's not even a historical-fiction taking place in asia. It's just pure fantasy in a fantasy world. I've even heard some people say the culture is meant to be more symbolic of european or american history, just with asian-looking art and archetecture. This may or may not be true- only Brike truly knows. The point is that this is a fictional place and a fictional time with asian inspiration, not asian representation.

With all of the above facts considered, it's obviously not racism to choose caucasian actors for Avatar. It's just staying true to the animated series.

By the way, I have watched many Japanese Anime shows- if they are so upset about Avatar characters being white, then why do they make almost all of their characters white, like every character on Naruto? It just seems a little bit hypocritical to me...

_Flutterlight_

[11]Dec 21, 2008
    I agree. Almost every manga-avatar character has eyes that are too big and round for a non caucasian, and hair colors other than black.

But are we really going to argue about what nationality a DRAWING should be? That's like discussing wheather a piece of paper is "black" just because it was made from a tree that originated from Africa!

gilvatar

[12]Dec 21, 2008
    • level: 17
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

What if he's Italian?

_Flutterlight_

[13]Dec 22, 2008
    gilvatar wrote:
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

What if he's Italian?

I don't know... He looks German to me.

Wait... How do we even know it's a "he"?

tenacon

[14]Dec 22, 2008
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

What if he's Italian?

Aang's a Italian robot. Never mind the card.

MarryLarry

[15]Dec 22, 2008
    • level: 11
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

What if he's Italian?
    I don't know... He looks German to me. Wait... How do we even know it's a "he"?

Because his boobs aren't blurred out.

Falcondude123

[16]Dec 22, 2008
    tenacon wrote:
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

What if he's Italian?

Aang's a Italian robot. Never mind the card.

I don't get the "That's not blonde hair" point of the card... when did anyone say he was blonde?

ranger8060

[17]Dec 22, 2008
    • level: 7
    tenacon wrote:

Aang Ain't white

So you're saying that if you have black hair, you are Asian? Isn't that stereotyping, saying that Asians always have black hair? I have black hair. I am not Asian. Your logic frightens me.
    Edited on 12/22/2008 2:52pm

confucioussayhi

[18]Dec 23, 2008

I have brown hair, am I not white? Yes, I am. You, sir or madam, are wrong. Since it was a joke card, I deem it "Badly Executed".

Join the RPG! We need good dedicated writers with some talent and good grammar! Join today, and get a solid gold cookie filled with rainbows*! /plug

*Limited time offer. No purchase neccesary. Not valid in 49 states or Canada.

Edited on 12/23/2008 6:32am

tenacon

[19]Dec 23, 2008
    confucioussayhi wrote:

I have brown hair, am I not white? Yes, I am. You, sir or madam, are wrong. Since it was a joke card, I deem it OVER 9000.

Join the RPG! We need good dedicated writers with some talent and good grammar! Join today, and get a solid gold cookie filled with rainbows*! /plug

*Limited time offer. No purchase neccesary. Not valid in 49 states or Canada.

wHOA, Alaska finally secceded from the union. The logic is:

1. Aang Pwns due to his Avatar Desention.

2. Ken is the best Americian fighter of fantasy.

3. ken is blond.

4. Power Rangers jumped the shark.

5. Ideas 2 and 4 are not a native Americian idea.

6. Jesus comes from Juruslham.

7. violet_mist is a girl.

8. Mike Tyson bit some guy's ear.

9. Ninjustu, Kung Fu and Saiky??-ry?? are Native Asia fighting techniches.

10. i have no idea what I'm talking about. Must be a Sterotype about Americans.

I join. I get annother cookie. Glad I did it in Puerto Rico. (did you know fighting styl* is a banned term?)

_Flutterlight_

[20]Dec 23, 2008
    It's not "fighting Stile that's a banned term, it's the word Stile.

And I have auburn hair... So does that make me not white?