We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

ThisCrazyGuy

[141]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 8
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    What I love is how you just ASSUMED I was talking about you, when I told people who thought this thread was "pointless" to stop bashing it... If you must know, that comment was directed at ALL the people who have come to this thread and claimed it as "pointless" OR stupid... MarryLarry, Jackson5050, Falcondude123, ranger8060, and shadowysea07, ALL claimed this thread was "pointless" (besides you), and yet you just assume I am individually directing that comment at you... I am not a fan of situations where people come to threads and deem them as "pointless" or "silly", because it makes me wonder why on earth they bother showing up in a thread if they are just going to insult it...

It's not that I showed up just to bash the thread or it's maker, but rather to give my opposing opinion on this subject, particularly the final aims it is trying to accomplish. Can you imagine a world where you could only post on threads you were in favor of??? Haha, it makes me giggle to imagine that; it would destroy the purpose of posting on web-sites at all... why post about things just so others can agree with you? You might as well be preaching to the choir! Threads are about active discussion, both in the affirmative of certain ideas and the negative of others.
    On the other hand, I agree that when people just outright say "This sucks" or "this is silly!" it can get annoying. That's why I apologized for saying it earlier.
    Thank you.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Chesis

[142]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 2

Falcondude123 wrote:
    Also I was not aware until now that the Nutcracker was a special-case, race-nuetral show, since it is written about a girl from victorian england falling in love with a toy soldier meant to look like a victorian-era english soldier. Seriously, if we can watch different ethnicities playing parts like THAT, then there's no way you can call us whitewashers.

No, I'm well aware that the story of the Nutcracker is European (German originally). I'm saying that the *particular* production Flutter was talking about was cast race-neutral. It's like when they did a race-inverted Othello with Patrick Stewart in the lead with the rest of the cast black. Somebody made the artistic decision to ignore the original ethnicities of the characters and go multi-cultural. And I'm saying that outside of the theater, on television or in the movies, you almost never see this today. The last one I can think of was the TV version of Rodgers and Hammerstein's Cinderella that had Brandy in the lead and an Asian guy playing the prince. It's not nearly as common as you seem to think it is.

Edited on 01/10/2009 3:27pm

ranger8060

[143]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 7
    Has anyone here seen Oz?

xXKarisuXx

[144]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 12
    It's not Aang's actor I have a problem with...

it's Zuko's.

Uhm... what's wrong with Dante Basco? He's ACTUALLY Asian. Zach Tyler or basically any of the "kids" aren't Asian, but he is.

gilvatar

[145]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 17
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Uhm... what's wrong with Dante Basco? He's ACTUALLY Asian. Zach Tyler or basically any of the "kids" aren't Asian, but he is.
    Isn't he like, 30?

ranger8060

[147]Jan 10, 2009
    Jesse McCartney has fangirls?

AllieAllie

[148]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 22

ranger8060 wrote:
    Jesse McCartney has fangirls?

I was thinking the same thing LOL.

readapost

[149]Jan 10, 2009
    • level: 14
    Um Aang is white. The reason is He can't kill Ozai and he looks white.

ThisCrazyGuy

[150]Jan 12, 2009
    Sorry I haven't replied to some fo these posts, have been depressingly busy, but all the messages directed at me will be replied to shortly...

gilvatar

[151]Jan 12, 2009
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Sorry I haven't replied to some fo these posts, have been depressingly busy, but all the messages directed at me will be replied to shortly...
    wow, I'm surprised you(or anyone else) didn't go off on the guy above you. But then again, I don't fully comprehend his sentence.

Falcondude123

[152]Jan 12, 2009
    • level: 10
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

ThisCrazyGuy

[153]Jan 13, 2009
    gilvatar wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    wow, I'm surprised you(or anyone else) didn't go off on the guy above you. But then again, I don't fully comprehend his sentence.
    I can't even understand what he is saying, but he doesn't strike me as a very intelligent person, ESPECIALLY to debate or argue with... :/
    Edited on 01/13/2009 12:48pm

Bunnygirl

[154]Jan 13, 2009
    • level: 10
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

Dante still looks ridiculously young though. I'd rather have him as Zuko then Jesse, even if he's thirty...

gilvatar

[155]Jan 13, 2009
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    I can't even understand what he is saying, but he doesn't strike me as a very intelligent person, ESPECIALLY to debate or argue with... :/
    Point. *lifts finger*

gilvatar

[156]Jan 13, 2009
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

Dante still looks ridiculously young though. I'd rather have him as Zuko then Jesse, even if he's thirty...
    really *looks up google images* he dosn't look that young to me. He could pass for 20-something, not 16. Even if he could, Jason Earls would be maaaaaad. (he's also 30 but he plays a teenager.)

shadowysea07

[157]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 25
    gilvatar wrote:
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

really *looks up google images* he dosn't look that young to me. He could pass for 20-something, not 16. Even if he could, Jason Earls would be maaaaaad. (he's also 30 but he plays a teenager.)
    besides jesse is almost 22. He ain't no teenager

ranger8060

[158]Jan 14, 2009
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

it's Zuko's.

Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

besides jesse is almost 22. He ain't no teenager

he looks young enough

ThisCrazyGuy

[159]Jan 14, 2009

"Then it was Chesis then. We've been debating so long I've forggoten who said what. Maybe we should form a team.

I agree that the actors were an enourmos dissapointment, if not for the same reasons as you. (IF the actors look like their characters, I'll be happy- they don't, so I'm not) I think we can end this part of the debate now."

A team? Erm, no thank you... This is a place where people give their opinions, not make RPG-like teams, and besides, you know Chesis and me are outnumbered in this argument on this Forum... It's like if I asked you to form a team supporting your side on the "Aang Ain't White" official website's front page... To be honest, this thread looks like it's dying anyway, I'm almost willing to LET it die...

But I will happily agree with you to end this part of the debate... It is one of the more pointless parts of this argument.

"You were a little vague in your orignial statement, and I didn't want to resond wrong and risk offending somebody. Thank you for clarifying that.

It IS annoying that the actors look nothing like their parts. They also seem WAY too old to be playing the characters they were cast as. Of course, we don't know who the casting dirrectors were chosing from. There are a lot of issues surrounding the making of a movie that nobody has taken into consideration. We don't know who tried out, we don't know how much money the casting people had to pay the actors, we don't know if they were avoiding having to train people... Maybe we should watch the movie first before making such snap judgements over who the actors are."

Okay, I can agree with the first statement. Thank you for not being as ignorant as some of other fools that have appeared on this Forum.

I am willing to bet that a lot of Asian-Americans tired out for the parts, I'm also willing to bet that a handful of them were talented... And I don't buy the whole "not having time to get acting coaches" stuff... If that was the case, why did they get a young White male with absolutely NO (known) acting experience at all, to play the MAIN part (supposedly, he is White... I could be wrong though (although, he probably IS White... Won't it look a bit weird if all of the main cast are White people, and the main character is the only Asian person in the main cast? (The Forbidden Kingdom, is SLIGHTLY different, because it wasn't based off of anything (can understand if you don't know what I mean). I AM going to watch the movie, but having a reaction (despite how much other people MIGHT not agree with it and/or like it) to the cast is allowed, and M.Night Shyamalan probably saw this world wide drama coming when he gave the okay on the cast, if he ISN'T an idiot, in MY opinion, he must have...

"But if the movie doesn't bring in enough money, they won't be able to make the sequals you mentioned. So wether we like it or not, we NEED the movie to have the added popularity of Jesse McCartney's fangirls, becuase Avatar's fanbase will have grown up by the time the movie comes out, and not everybody who liked Avatar in grade school is going to watch it in Highschool. (People were suggesting that Joe Jonas play Zuko? Well, even he would be better than bleached-blond Jesse).

Keep in mind, dirrectors are like politians, they say one thing and do another. If M. Night Shyamalan really meant what he said, then why is Jesse McCartney playing Zuko? Hollywood's seen him before. And none of the other actors are really "kids", except for Katara. And are we positive that these actors are set in stone? I looked up the movie on IMDB and it said that they were only "rumored"."

Yes, but is the only real way to bring back the fan base, a blind attempt at getting girls to see it? They won't even care about the actual story, just at seeing Jesse, who acting I am majorly (but silently doubting). It's not like the fan base will just disappear, and with the right advertising etc, they could make the movie JUST as popular, or at least almost. Besides, the probabilities of the movie being a success have actually, DEcreased, because of the whitewashing of the main, blatantly Asian-inspired cast. There is a movement going on right now (and I don't care if you don't care, other people do) based on how pissed off people are about this (something that originated from a freaking Nickelodeon cartoon). People are actually NOT going to see the movie because of the cast, even the hardcore Avatar fans, because of the cast. So the expectations of the movie's popularity seem to have dropped quite a bit. Let's hope Jesse's supposedly LARGE amount of fan girls can fill up the spaces of the people who won't be seeing the move because of it's whitewashing... And no, I'm not one of those people, I'm loyal to Avatar, even if the movie and it's actors will suck absolute crap, I'm still going to do whatever I can to make the movie a success (but not to the point of wasting my life AND Summer, going to see it loads of times)... Besides, do you really think McCartney's fan girls will rush off to see a non-naked, almost bald Jesse McCartney with a bang-on **** playing Prince Zuko? When they see the adverts, I am willing to bet they will BURST in to tears... Lol.

The movie starts filming in March, so chances are this is the REAL cast, unless they can gather up an entirely NEW cast in less than eight weeks...

"Because it is my experiance that people would rather be angry than informed, so they would ignore what I was saying and only focus on your comments. That sort of thing happens to me a lot, so I've probally got a chip on my shoulder about it.

And yes, I completely agree with you. My comment that I'd be happy if the actors looked like their parts. I'm hoping that they all have to wear those plastic things the narnia characters who played satyrs had to wear to alter their appearances."

Well, I haven't made that many mistakes, nor made you look like a bigot THAT much, if I have, people will simply read what you say and see that I got the wrong idea... It probably is just a chip on your shoulder...

"Chesis. Over and over again... (If I had a dime for the times I've typed "I never said that"...) I guess I'm letting my annoyances with him interfer with my debate with you, and I'm really sorry for that."

That's okay, we all let our debates get mixed up with other people, especially when we are all in one massive argument with similar opinions (Chesis and myself)...

"As I said earlier, I've been debating this so long I'm mixing you up with Chesis, who keeps changing the meanings of my statements. (I'm dyslexic. I do this sort of thing a lot, and I can't help it. Sorry.) When did I say that the whole "Aang's ain't white" movement was silly? I think that was Falcondude."

Hey! I'm dyslexic too! Anyways...

I do believe at some point you said the "Aang Ain't White" movement was pointless, or at least something along those lines... I could be wrong, or I could be confusing you with someone else...

"*Sigh* I guess you do. Sort of. (You probally don't get glares during the pre-civil war lessons though)... but still, I'd rather have my race edited out of a movie than have to listen to another broadcast/lesson about the evil things my race does."

No one is berating you about what the bad things are, that the White race has done in history though (at least not in this subject and situation)... We are debating the cast of a movie, not things like the African or Native American Slave Trades etc. I see what you are tying to say, and I sympathize with you, because for half of the part, I understand what it feels like to hear those things in your history classes, and I get that the guilt you have to carry is hard, but in this situation, I don't quite think it has been taken that far... I REALLY hope this particular paragraph doesn't offend anyone by the way (I don't see why it would at all, but STILL).

ThisCrazyGuy

[160]Jan 14, 2009
    ranger8060 wrote:

M.Night Shyamalan originally said that the MAIN cast was going to be kids that Hollywood have never seen before, kids making their acting debut...

Not really. I emailed paramount during the summer askinga bout other roles. They said that they are only picking an unknown for Aang. They will p[ick other roles through agents because they wanted professionals for those parts.

Not what I heard from Shyamalan, at all... And Paramount emailed you back? DAMN, you are lucky...
    Edited on 01/14/2009 2:26pm