We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

ElysianGem

[181]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 8
    I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for people to comprehend. Avatar is basically built on Asian/Inuit culture. The way they dress, their philosophies, writing, food, architecture, culture, and fighting styles are chunk full of it. Now, some of you say that all that matters is their acting abilities. So think about this: If they were to make a fantasy world largely based in African culture, dress, religion, etc. , would people be offended if they saw people of European descent acting in place of people of African descent? I don't really see the difference in the situation here. There are over 15 million Asian Americans living in America alone. There is also an extensive database of all the Native American actors and actresses in America online. How hard can it be to find some of them to act? Did someone touch on this before?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

FrigginGodess

[182]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 22
    Well, even if I don't care about this movie in the slightest, I STILL belive that Aang being white is just... sckwed. I mean, there are better choices, but, still, they pick a white person. I mean, shouldn't it be asian?

And, to the above post, I don't think so..

ThisCrazyGuy

[183]Jan 27, 2009
    ElysianGem wrote:
    I'm not sure why this concept is so hard for people to comprehend. Avatar is basically built on Asian/Inuit culture. The way they dress, their philosophies, writing, food, architecture, culture, and fighting styles are chunk full of it. Now, some of you say that all that matters is their acting abilities. So think about this: If they were to make a fantasy world largely based in African culture, dress, religion, etc. , would people be offended if they saw people of European descent acting in place of people of African descent? I don't really see the difference in the situation here. There are over 15 million Asian Americans living in America alone. There is also an extensive database of all the Native American actors and actresses in America online. How hard can it be to find some of them to act? Did someone touch on this before?
    Exactly!

_Flutterlight_

[184]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 15
    ElysianGem wrote:

For your information, African Americans actually look a LOT different than Africans do, (And I know Africans who would agree with me on that) because beleive it or not, African Americans actually have a lot of "white" blood in them, due to intermarrige, (And also before slaver was outlawed, white slave owners often used their slaves as mistresses).

Saying that an African American could play an African is saying race is based only on skin color. You're denying the cultural importance of religion, language and traditions.

Just because a person has dark skin means that they know how to cook African food, dance traditional dances, speek an African language, and tell traditional African myths and legends.

Did you know that there are dark-skinned African Jews? Would you want one THEM playing a role in a movie based on the Tutsi tribe? I sure wouldn't. They wouldn't know anything about the Tutsi culture.

So why would we have native americans from this website of yours playing INUITS? What do the Cherokee know about inuit culture?

Would you want a korean playing a Japanese person just because they look asian? Every Japanese person I know would be really unhappy about that.

And for acting abilities, how do you know any of those people on that website can act? You're just ASSUMING that they do. Besides, how old are these so called actors? Are there any children? We can't have fourty year old women playing Katara. It just wouldn't be right.
    Edited on 01/27/2009 3:42pm

ranger8060

[185]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 7
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    ElysianGem wrote:

For your information, African Americans actually look a LOT different than Africans do, (And I know Africans who would agree with me on that) because beleive it or not, African Americans actually have a lot of "white" blood in them, due to intermarrige, (And also before slaver was outlawed, white slave owners often used their slaves as mistresses).

Saying that an African American could play an African is saying race is based only on skin color. You're denying the cultural importance of religion, language and traditions.

Just because a person has dark skin means that they know how to cook African food, dance traditional dances, speek an African language, and tell traditional African myths and legends.

Did you know that there are dark-skinned African Jews? Would you want one THEM playing a role in a movie based on the Tutsi tribe? I sure wouldn't. They wouldn't know anything about the Tutsi culture.

So why would we have native americans from this website of yours playing INUITS? What do the Cherokee know about inuit culture?

Would you want a korean playing a Japanese person just because they look asian? Every Japanese person I know would be really unhappy about that.

And for acting abilities, how do you know any of those people on that website can act? You're just ASSUMING that they do. Besides, how old are these so called actors? Are there any children? We can't have fourty year old women playing Katara. It just wouldn't be right.

I agree with 98 percent of that. Jesse McCartney doesn't know much about the show, but he can act nicely and is learning a lot of Martial Arts movement so he's advancing pretty quickly. Then again, this is all pretty recent news to Jesse, but Jackson Rathbone knows a good amount about the series, so he is in good shape.

MarryLarry

[186]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 11

This thread is becoming quite the eye-soar. Is it possible for the two sides to come to a compromise? Like, oh I don't no, maybe agreeing that the Avatar world is multicultural, perhaps?

Jet. June (yes that's the correct way to spell it). Tom Tom. Not exactly eastern names. Sideburns. Not exactly an eastern hairstyle. Norwegian evergreens. Not exactly an eastern plant. Great Divide = Great Canyon. Fire Nation = Iceland. 4 elements = Greek classical elements. Swampbenders = Southern hicks. Sandbenders = Middle Eastern nomads. Pathik = Indian. black kid (far left) = black kid (far left). Writing = Chinese.

Most of the names, clothes, and architecture is inspired by China, Japan, or Tibet. But the Sun Warriors and their entire culture and buildings are Aztec based. The spirit library aesthetic is arabic or perhaps orthodox.

The point I'm trying to make is that this show is like its dragons. Western dragons are bulky and had wings while Eastern dragons are slender and wingless. But the writers managed to combine these traits to make their own. Even the animation is a mix of east and west styles, hence the term anime knock-off and not full blown anime. The writers get a lot of influence from different cultures, but they also take several liberties in adjusting and combining them. Inuits in the South Pole? I don't think so.

To say everything is solely Asian based is bull. It's a blend of East and West and other cultures in the middle. If there can be Indians, Arabs, and Africans in this show, then I think it's fair to say that Europeans and Asians can both exist in the world as well. I think one thing this show was subconsciously trying to get across was that we all can live togther in balance. And if anyone's too narrow minded to see that, then I shake my head in shame for humanity's future....not like it's going to matter when 2012 rolls around.

gilvatar

[187]Jan 27, 2009
    • level: 17
    MarryLarry wrote:

This thread is becoming quite the eye-soar. Is it possible for the two sides to come to a compromise? Like, oh I don't no, maybe agreeing that the Avatar world is multicultural, perhaps?

Jet. June (yes that's the correct way to spell it). Tom Tom. Not exactly eastern names. Sideburns. Not exactly an eastern hairstyle. Norwegian evergreens. Not exactly an eastern plant. Great Divide = Great Canyon. Fire Nation = Iceland. 4 elements = Greek classical elements. Swampbenders = Southern hicks. Sandbenders = Middle Eastern nomads. Pathik = Indian. black kid (far left) = black kid (far left). Writing = Chinese.

Most of the names, clothes, and architecture is inspired by China, Japan, or Tibet. But the Sun Warriors and their entire culture and buildings are Aztec based. The spirit library aesthetic is arabic or perhaps orthodox.

The point I'm trying to make is that this show is like its dragons. Western dragons are bulky and had wings while Eastern dragons are slender and wingless. But the writers managed to combine these traits to make their own. Even the animation is a mix of east and west styles, hence the term anime knock-off and not full blown anime. The writers get a lot of influence from different cultures, but they also take several liberties in adjusting and combining them. Inuits in the South Pole? I don't think so.

To say everything is solely Asian based is bull. It's a blend of East and West and other cultures in the middle. If there can be Indians, Arabs, and Africans in this show, then I think it's fair to say that Europeans and Asians can both exist in the world as well. I think one thing this show was subconsciously trying to get across was that we all can live togther in balance. And if anyone's too narrow minded to see that, then I shake my head in shame for humanity's future....not like it's going to matter when 2012 rolls around.

psst..it's the GRAND canyon and we can't see the pic. you can;t hotlink them anymore. Avatarspirit forbids it. And they weren't subconsioucly trying to work the in. "We are all connected" seems pretty straight forward to me.

_Flutterlight_

[188]Jan 27, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:

That was a wonderful post.

The sad thing is, was about seven pages ago I made practically the same post and got yelled at by Chesis and ThatCrazyGuy for it. They don't listen to reason. I only started posting here again as a joke. (Hence my whole "you're insulting Obama's mom!" post.)

MarryLarry

[189]Jan 27, 2009
    gilvatar wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:

unimportant jarble

psst..it's the GRAND canyon and we can't see the pic. you can;t hotlink them anymore. Avatarspirit forbids it. And they weren't subconsioucly trying to work the in. "We are all connected" seems pretty straight forward to me.

Doh. Ya got meh with the canyon. And I guess I forgot about that line (ironically one of my favorites). But it furthers my point. And if you ask me (and I know none of you are), a lot of character's races/ethnicities were left ambiguous. How do I know this? Because you're all arguing about them right now. If they weren't ambiguous then there'd be no room for debate.

Link to the black kid: http://dvdscreenshots.avatarspiritmedia.net/212/159.jpg

ElysianGem

[190]Jan 27, 2009

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    ElysianGem wrote:
    For your information, African Americans actually look a LOT different than Africans do, (And I know Africans who would agree with me on that) because beleive it or not, African Americans actually have a lot of "white" blood in them, due to intermarrige, (And also before slaver was outlawed, white slave owners often used their slaves as mistresses). Saying that an African American could play an African is saying race is based only on skin color. You're denying the cultural importance of religion, language and traditions. Just because a person has dark skin means that they know how to cook African food, dance traditional dances, speek an African language, and tell traditional African myths and legends. Did you know that there are dark-skinned African Jews? Would you want one THEM playing a role in a movie based on the Tutsi tribe? I sure wouldn't. They wouldn't know anything about the Tutsi culture. So why would we have native americans from this website of yours playing INUITS? What do the Cherokee know about inuit culture? Would you want a korean playing a Japanese person just because they look asian? Every Japanese person I know would be really unhappy about that. And for acting abilities, how do you know any of those people on that website can act? You're just ASSUMING that they do. Besides, how old are these so called actors? Are there any children? We can't have fourty year old women playing Katara. It just wouldn't be right.

I think you are right about this for the most part but I didn't specifically say African Americans, but I get your point and I do agree with it to an extent. But, you say that I wouldn't want a Korean playing a Japanese person, and I agree with you, but the Avatar world is not based on "just Japanese." And I understand it is a mix of Eastern and Western, but what stands out more to you? Which cultures were more emphasised in the show? You're right about Native American database I mentioned earlier and I'm sorry for making that mistake, but it still doesn't excuse the lack of effort it took casting directors to find people of color to act. Right now, I just hope they won't cast Asians and other minorities mainly in villain roles. Is it so hard to ask for some diversity when it comes to main casts?

MarryLarry

[192]Feb 2, 2009

Ohh, I love it when I'm right.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117999413.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

Though I guess it's still not enough to appease all the failed Azn actors who didn't get the part, at least it should get them to stop spewing racism as an excuse for their terrible acting abilities.

ranger8060

[193]Feb 2, 2009
    • level: 7
    So what does this solve? First there was the problem that Jackson Rathbone and Nicola Peltz were too light. So is anyone gonna complain about this. Let's see. I guess now people are gonna consider this racism anymore cause they have a non-white in it. M Night is also non- white.

shadowysea07

[194]Feb 3, 2009
    • level: 25
    the new guy is better than jessie mcartny but still right continent wrong country. he'd be better off as sokka. it looks retarded that every character is lighter than him

_Flutterlight_

[195]Feb 3, 2009
    These people either want something to complain about, or to pick a fight with somebody.

And ThisCrazyGuy, please stop accusing me of ludicrous things like not listening to other's opinions. Did you even READ my post about keeping actors culturally correct? That was YOUR arguement, not mine.

ThisCrazyGuy

[196]Feb 4, 2009

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    These people either want something to complain about, or to pick a fight with somebody. And ThisCrazyGuy, please stop accusing me of ludicrous things like not listening to other's opinions. Did you even READ my post about keeping actors culturally correct? That was YOUR arguement, not mine.
    When did I actually say you don't take in people's opinions (at least without giving a reason, as to why you MIGHT POSSIBLY suck at taking in fellow opinions)?????

I said if you call what myself and Chesis were doing "yelling", then you DO suck at taking in people's opinions, or you haven't been in a debate before... When I typed that, I assumed you didn't really think me and Chesis were yelling at you... I am not saying that you DON'T listen to other people's opinions, if that were the case I wouldn't have wasted my time bothering to argue with you, you SEEM to be good at accepting other people's opinions. BUT, if you really think what me and Chesis were doing was yelling, then that's a bit over-exaggerating... What I had a problem with, is how you said myself and Chesis yelled at you, which is complete bull... No one "yelled" at you, so stop acting like a victim... It's called civilised DEBATE. I also didn't like how you proclaimed what you said as "reason"...

Edited on 02/04/2009 8:00am

_Flutterlight_

[198]Feb 21, 2009
    WHY are we reviving this thread? You two are the only ones who really care about it. Everybody else just let it die.

toosmooth

[199]Feb 21, 2009
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    WHY are we reviving this thread? You two are the only ones who really care about it. Everybody else just let it die.
    Agreed...