We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

ranger8060

[161]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 7
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    ranger8060 wrote:

M.Night Shyamalan originally said that the MAIN cast was going to be kids that Hollywood have never seen before, kids making their acting debut...

Not really. I emailed paramount during the summer askinga bout other roles. They said that they are only picking an unknown for Aang. They will p[ick other roles through agents because they wanted professionals for those parts.

Not what I heard from Shyamalan, at all... And Paramount emailed you back? DAMN, you are lucky...

i emailed them like 3 times. they replied within aobut 6 hours for each one. i guess they didnt have too much traffic
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gilvatar

[162]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 17
    I have a litte something to say about the jessie thing. (although it's not very important, just a correction) He never was bleach blonde (they were carmel highlights ). and he hasn't been carmel blonde for years. He dumped that with disney. He's a natural brunette. proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYMDXK9ZpxQ

you can watch the video on silent if you want. or long enough to see his hair. whichever you want. This was a hit song btw.

CorpseVendor

[163]Jan 14, 2009
    • level: 3
    I'm not gonna rant about the whole "Aang ain't white" & and the whole racism thing, but I was disapointed when I heard who was in the cast. ...I wish they would just stop and think before just pulling people outta hats. At least try to pick actors that look the same as the characters, how hard is that? I thought they were making the series into movies for the fans, because of the popularity of the show? But they aren't gonna get much of an audience with such a bad start, so many people out there are already not planning to go see it which is gonna be a low blow below the belt for them at the box office. I had high hopes for the movies until the cast was picked. I prayed it was a prank or something.

lolz I mean, this is a show where the fans would pick, dissect, pause, replay, write essays and research DEEPLY just to simply try and find out which ship would win. Who would end up with who. What would happen in the next episode. Surely the director and creators would have realized that people would'nt like the cast they picked out.

I hope they change their minds and its not set in stone...

Mike & Bryan! What are you two doing out there! Why aren't you doing anything about this?! You're hurting your loyal fans and your own creation!!!!

...ok, maybe this did turn into a rant. >

ranger8060

[164]Jan 15, 2009
    personally...i dont think the actors have to look like their characters. as long as they can act, it doesnt really matter. and jesse mccartney probably will look like zuko when the scar is added (not photoshopped) his hair is perfect, his face shpe is okay. im pretty okay with the cast as of right ow. im oly woried about the noah dude ad uncle iroh.

AllieAllie

[165]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 22

ranger8060 wrote:
    personally...i dont think the actors have to look like their characters. as long as they can act, it doesnt really matter. and jesse mccartney probably will look like zuko when the scar is added (not photoshopped) his hair is perfect, his face shpe is okay. im pretty okay with the cast as of right ow. im oly woried about the noah dude ad uncle iroh.

I agree, we should just give these people a chance, they could do really well portraying their characters even if they're not the same race as them.

Falcondude123

[166]Jan 15, 2009
    • level: 10
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:
    It's not Aang's actor I have a problem with...

it's Zuko's.

Uhm... what's wrong with Dante Basco? He's ACTUALLY Asian. Zach Tyler or basically any of the "kids" aren't Asian, but he is.
    Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

Dante still looks ridiculously young though. I'd rather have him as Zuko then Jesse, even if he's thirty...
    really *looks up google images* he dosn't look that young to me. He could pass for 20-something, not 16. Even if he could, Jason Earls would be maaaaaad. (he's also 30 but he plays a teenager.)
    besides jesse is almost 22. He ain't no teenager

I really am not sure what everyone has against Jesse McCartney, skin-tone aside. Seriously, he isn't THAT bad of an actor, is he? Or is it just his whole cocky little persona that you don't like??? (actually I would think being a little cocky would help him play Zuko)

ranger8060

[167]Jan 17, 2009
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    shadowysea07 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    Bunnygirl wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    xXKarisuXx wrote:
    It's not Aang's actor I have a problem with...

it's Zuko's.

Uhm... what's wrong with Dante Basco? He's ACTUALLY Asian. Zach Tyler or basically any of the "kids" aren't Asian, but he is.
    Isn't he like, 30?

Yeah, he's too old...

Dante still looks ridiculously young though. I'd rather have him as Zuko then Jesse, even if he's thirty...
    really *looks up google images* he dosn't look that young to me. He could pass for 20-something, not 16. Even if he could, Jason Earls would be maaaaaad. (he's also 30 but he plays a teenager.)
    besides jesse is almost 22. He ain't no teenager

I really am not sure what everyone has against Jesse McCartney, skin-tone aside. Seriously, he isn't THAT bad of an actor, is he? Or is it just his whole cocky little persona that you don't like??? (actually I would think being a little cocky would help him play Zuko)

he isnt that bad

Chesis

[168]Jan 19, 2009
    • level: 2
    ranger8060 wrote:

Then we may as well just cast Will Smith as Aang and be done with it, if looks don't matter.

Bunnygirl

[169]Jan 19, 2009
    Chesis wrote:
    ranger8060 wrote:

Then we may as well just cast Will Smith as Aang and be done with it, if looks don't matter.

Yes, and James Earl Jones as Ozai...

ranger8060

[170]Jan 19, 2009
    Chesis wrote:
    ranger8060 wrote:

yeah but withing aang's age range

MarryLarry

[171]Jan 21, 2009
    • level: 11
    Finally this wretched thread has left the first page! Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoo....hey, wait a minute...

Nightmare_Fan17

[172]Jan 23, 2009
    • level: 5
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Finally this wretched thread has left the first page! Hoorah! Hoorah! Hoo....hey, wait a minute...
    Yeah I think you accidentally bumped this thread? *looks around suspiciously.* What exactly does the title of this thread mean anyway? Aang ain't white? Of course he's white! Look at his character on the television screen! Does that look like a white/caucasian person to you? I think so.

tenacon

[173]Jan 24, 2009
    Nightmare_Fan17 wrote:
    MarryLarry wrote:
    Yeah I think you accidentally bumped this thread? *looks around suspiciously.* What exactly does the title of this thread mean anyway? Aang ain't white? Of course he's white! Look at his character on the television screen! Does that look like a white/caucasian person to you? I think so.

YOU KNOW WHAT!!!! I GIVE UP ON MOVIE!!! NEVER CARE AGIAN!! EVAR!

Falcondude123

[174]Jan 24, 2009
    IMA FIRIN MA LAZUH!!
    I think the movie should be awesome. They have a big budget, experienced music composer for the score, and a director who has had some criticism in the past but who has also had major hits. Personally I am amazed that a nick show managed to land a major hollywood director for a movie adaptation. We really should be celebrating the fact that it's not an unknown wannabe director.
    And are these kid actors unknown wannabes? Well, Jesse McCartney and the twilightguy who plays Sokka aren't, but the Katara and Aang actors still have to prove they aren't. They definately won't be after this movie if they do a good job.
    The last thing we should do is pull a tissy fit and boycott the movie adaptation of the story we all fell in love with. I wouldn't have spent a million hours on this forum if I didn't love this show. I am going to see the movie, and if it turns out sucky, fine. Life goes on. If it turns out good but people choose to call it sucky because they are upset about casting choices or wutever, THEN I will be a little upset myself. We should always give new things a chance(with the exception of drugs, alcohol, murder, and breaking the ten commandments, etc.).
    So, let's give it a chance, people!

Chesis

[175]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 2
    Latest news is that the press is starting to pick up on the story, Jesse McCartney thinks the show is an anime series, and Derik Kirk Kim has a good chunk of the comics community up in arms.

It's just going to get worse for this movie if the people in charge don't shape up quick.

Nightmare_Fan17

[176]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 5

Nick themselves also need to shape up...

Avatar deserves better than this. I miss the good old days... when his show was shown a lot more and it was only on seasons one and two-just getting started... those times were the best. I don't know what the hell happened to Nick...

As for the movie well... I just can't wait to see it! It better be exciting and not all hype otherwise madness will surely ensue.

MarryLarry

[177]Jan 25, 2009
    • level: 11

Some little smuck ratted...reported me to The Man for being offensive and had my 1st post deleted. Now, normally I let these things go even when they aren't justified, but seeing as how I actually put some effort into that post, I'm going to repost it.

Feel free to disregard it if you wish, as it is irrelevant now. I just think my argument shouldn't be cast into oblivion because someone found it offensive. In fact, that's the point. To offend weeaboos and azns, a.k.a. sub-humans. It's like insulting Nazis; it's a good thing. If you don't consider yourself either of the two, then you shouldn't be offended by something that wasn't addressed to you.

MarryLarry wrote:

Heheh. Call me old school but blaming Hollywood for the casting that was done by an Indian, whose culture and religion has direct influence on the show, and bluntly labeling said casting as racist makes me think some of you are a bunch of over-reacting and over-emotional weeaboos or azns looking for that attention your real friends and family never gave you. But, I guess that's understandable. I mean where does Hollywood get off. It's not like they've ever let any asians ever speak, let alone star, in any movies before, amirite? That is as long as you disregard the two-bit white-loving race-betraying actors like Jackie Chan, Yun-Fat Chow, and about a dozen others whose name has some version of "Lee" in it. And it's not like the reason for Asians not being in every single movie has anything to do with the fact that they make up less than 6% of America's population or that a teeny-weeny percentile of that number will actually go into the acting profession.

Bottom line: if you're pissed at the casting because you have some insecure hatred for people you've never met or don't like the way they look, by all means complain and whine about something that's not going to change no matter how much you pray to Cthulhu. However, if you feel the need to use racism to justify your hormonal outrages, I'm going to have to kindly ask you to gtfo. But seeing as how I lack the authority to use the internet version of mjolnir that is the banhammer, I can't really do anything to make you leave. I will, however, call you mean names like stuffy-doo-doo-head and make sexual jokes about your mother whether she's dead or kicking (either or works for me).

_Flutterlight_

[178]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 15

For those of you who are upset with the casting: Basically, you're arguement is that humans cannot be truely from one race or another unless they have the right skin color.

If everybody thought that, Obama would be considered completely "African American", despite his "white" mom.

Obama loved his mom. Ignoring the importance of his mother's influence on his life would be a huge insult to him.

Are you insulting Obama? Because if you are insulting the President of America, I will have to ask you to step outside!

Edited on 01/26/2009 3:40pm

_Flutterlight_

[179]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 15
    Chesis wrote:
    Latest news is that the press is starting to pick up on the story, Jesse McCartney thinks the show is an anime series, and Derik Kirk Kim has a good chunk of the comics community up in arms.

It's just going to get worse for this movie if the people in charge don't shape up quick.

If you don't think that Avatar's "Animea" then why the heck are you arguing to have an all aisan cast?

gilvatar

[180]Jan 26, 2009
    • level: 17
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    Chesis wrote:

If you don't think that Avatar's "Animea" then why the heck are you arguing to have an all aisan cast?
    well technically something can only be an Anime if it's from Asia but sitll thats not uncommon for poeple (I know some fans who thought the same thing) to think its an anime.