We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

_Flutterlight_

[101]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 15

There are SO many things wrong with what you're saying....

Chesis wrote:
    I lumped 'em together because it's easeir to talk about them that way. So you concede at least 70% of the show is taken from non-white sources. That sounds much more reasonable.

First off, I never "conceded" anything, because I never denied that the show was influenced predominately by non-white sources. I was pointing out the non-ASIAN sources. Not the white ones. (Unless the deffinition of "white" has changed to include Aztecs and Australian animals...) Where did you get the idea I was claiming Avatar was based off of "whites?"

Chesis wrote:
    So... you're suggesting we have really accurate Asian and Inuit environments. Populated by all white people. Eh... no, I think that's going to make things even worse.

So... what you're saying race is based off of the way people look, and not their culture? For your information, I lOOk completely Irish. But I'm also part Cherokee on my father's side. Are you saying that it would be wrong for me to participate in Cherokee traditions? That's like denying me of my heritage.

Edited on 01/06/2009 8:14pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ranger8060

[102]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 7
    i personally think we should worry more about the script and special effects cause without those, the movie is sh*T

_Flutterlight_

[103]Jan 6, 2009
    You're right. How do you think they're going to do the bending? Air's going to be really hard to animate, isn't it?

MarryLarry

[104]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 11

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    You're right. How do you think they're going to do the bending? Air's going to be really hard to animate, isn't it?

Not really, seeing as how it's invisible. Have a guy stick out his hand, show some image distortion, and have some object magically move on its own. Walla. Airbending.

ranger8060

[105]Jan 6, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:

_Flutterlight_ wrote:

Not really, seeing as how it's invisible. Have a guy stick out his hand, show some image distortion, and have some object magically move on its own. Walla. Airbending.

budget for this movie is about 90 million, so it might be good

Chesis

[106]Jan 6, 2009
    • level: 2

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    First off, I never "conceded" anything, because I never denied that the show was influenced predominately by non-white sources. I was pointing out the non-ASIAN sources. Not the white ones. Where did you get the idea I was claiming Avatar was based off of "whites?"

Because your point seemed to be that the all-white cast was acceptable because the Avatar world wasn't completely Asian.

Chesis wrote:
    So... you're suggesting we have really accurate Asian and Inuit environments. Populated by all white people. Eh... no, I think that's going to make things even worse.

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    So... what you're saying race is based off of the way people look, and not their culture? For your information, I lOOk completely Irish. But I'm also part Cherokee on my father's side. Are you saying that it would be wrong for me to participate in Cherokee traditions? That's like denying me of my heritage.

No, we're talking about a movie. It's different. I'm saying if you look completely Irish, it wouldn't be appropriate for you to play a Cherokee hero. Because, yes, looks count on film. No, it's not fair, but it's how Hollywood works and how the culture works. Maybe someday things can be different where we can have a black man playing C?? Chulainn or a Puerto Rican Tupac Shakur without controversy. Maybe someday we'll be able to separate out ethnicity from the facial features and skin color. But today, right, now, not happening.

Because today, in this culture, when an Asian or Inuit character is played by someone white and audiences see them as white... then they aren't aren't Asian or Inuit anymore.

And I'm saying that when you take my culture's mythology, religions, clothing, art, architecture, and all the other things that make it distinct and wonderful and interesting, but leave out *me,* that's like stealing my identity. And that's not right.

kitsuneboy1

[107]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 10
    I know that I, as well as others, have frequently pointed out that in Anime and Anime-influnced artwork, realism in appearances aren't always present.

Frankly, if someone wants to bring up Aang's eyes, for example, saying that "he doesn't look Asian, consider this":

Maybe the large eye design is done for more exagerated expressions, as well as to give some kind of hints as to who the characters are (Aang: bright eyed and energetic child-like).

Plus, I wanted an Asian/Inuit cast so some new faces could get a chance to get their feet in the door in Hollywood.

Hey, Lucy Liu, Jet Li and Jackie Chan can't play every part suitable for Asians, and besides, they might want to retire someday.

seto1

[108]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 16
    if he is or isnt why should it matter

Falcondude123

[109]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 10
    Chesis wrote:

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    First off, I never "conceded" anything, because I never denied that the show was influenced predominately by non-white sources. I was pointing out the non-ASIAN sources. Not the white ones. Where did you get the idea I was claiming Avatar was based off of "whites?"

Because your point seemed to be that the all-white cast was acceptable because the Avatar world wasn't completely Asian.

Chesis wrote:

_Flutterlight_ wrote:

No, we're talking about a movie. It's different. I'm saying if you look completely Irish, it wouldn't be appropriate for you to play a Cherokee hero. Because, yes, looks count on film. No, it's not fair, but it's how Hollywood works and how the culture works. Maybe someday things can be different where we can have a black man playing C?? Chulainn or a Puerto Rican Tupac Shakur without controversy. Maybe someday we'll be able to separate out ethnicity from the facial features and skin color. But today, right, now, not happening.

Because today, in this culture, when an Asian or Inuit character is played by someone white and audiences see them as white... then they aren't aren't Asian or Inuit anymore.

And I'm saying that when you take my culture's mythology, religions, clothing, art, architecture, and all the other things that make it distinct and wonderful and interesting, but leave out *me,* that's like stealing my identity. And that's not right.

Sorry to interject, but that's NOT how it is today. People are not idiots. They can watch a white guy playing a part in an Asian setting and know he's supposed to be an Asian. It's called "suspension of disbelief", and it is a story-telling device employed by ALL authors and directors EVERYWHERE, particularly in the fantasy genre, which is exactly what Avatar is.
    Yours is the typical argument of such modern characters as Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, and others. They make their whole livings off the propoganda that Americans are racists, always have been racists, and always will be racists. If America wasn't racist, then they'd be out of a job. Already they are getting angry at Obama being elected because it hurts their rhetoric.
    People CAN see past skin-color to call someone who they know is meant to be Asian an Asian, or who is meant to be an American an American, etc, etc.

shadowysea07

[110]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 25
    This thread is full of fail just like the movie

ThisCrazyGuy

[111]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 8

_Flutterlight_ wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    I am not really as hardcore as the "Aang Ain't White" movement, comparing me to them is a bit naive... While I agree with them and support them 100%, I am nowhere near as annoyed with this as they are, believe me. And I'm not downplaying anything, I specifically said that there MAY, be other civilizations that influence a FEW things in the Avatar world, but about 85% (possibly more) of the Avatar world, is dominantly Asian/Inuit-based. When did I say that the Water Tribes weren't completely based off of the Inuit's? You say I don't mention the Inuit's, and yet they have been in basically every post of mine... 50%? Seriously? I would label it more along the lines of 15% of the Avatar world, being based off of other cultures besides Asia/Inuit civilization.
    I would like to point out that I said you AND Aang Ain't white movement, despite the fact that you are "less hard core than them". I was not compairing the two of you, I was lumping you in the same group of things I feel down-play the importance of the minority inflences in Avatar. And I NEVER said you didn't mention the inuits. I included the "Inuits" in my list of minorities you are downplaying because while you keep bringing them up, you also keep saying that Avatar is "based off of ASIA", instead of "Based off of Asia and inuits". I as am including the Fire Nation's fire-powered machines (and balloons) as part of the outside influence, as Asians and Inuits did not invent them and coal/fire powered war machines (and balloons) are not part of their culture, I feel that the percentage of outside influences at the very least 30%. Maybe 40%. (The Fire Nation uses war machines a LOT.) Please stop changing what I say to make me look like a bigot. I'd like to stop having to come here and explain WHAT I said and WHY I said it.
    I'm not changing OR altering ANYTHING you said (at least not deliberately) or making you "look like a bigot", and in 70% of my posts, I have included Inuit's, you can't just take the FEW times I haven't included them in sentences (by accident) and say I don't mention them... And okay, let's say that the minority of influences in the A:TLA world, DO play a part in the movie's culture (which is greatly fair), what about the MAJORITY of the influences that inspired Avatar? Yeah, okay, 30-40% of the Avatar world might NOT be Asian/Inuit-based, but what about the other 60%? Do you seriously think this is fair?

Fine, not everything in the Avatar world is 100% Asian/Inuit, but so what? In my opinion, 70% of the Avatar world is still based off of Asian/Inuit culture, and yet there are absolutely NO Asian or Inuit people in the main cast. You don't seriously think that that isn't supposed to offend people, do you...? And none of the known actors LOOK their parts either... Jesse McCartney looks NOTHING like Zuko, Jackson Rathbone looks nothing like Sokka, and Nicola Peltz also looks NOTHING like Katara... Maybe if the main actors had even a SMALL resemblance to their characters, I would change my views a bit, but until then, FAIL...

And to all the people who seem to have a *craving* for claiming that this bickering is "pointless", why bother coming here? I mean, really, some of us ARE actually upset, and we have every right to be, so to all the people labelling this as "silly" or "pointless", why don't you take into account how OTHER people feel, and why this thread was even made...? This obviously isn't a minor thing, because it has upset A LOT of people all over the world, and has created a lot of controversy, there's even a freaking movement and actual website (and a very popular one I might add), based on this issue... So let us complain, and next time you have an issue like this, we *won't* label what you are offended by, as "silly". Seriously, think about other people...

Edited on 01/07/2009 1:34pm
    Edited 2 total times.

ThisCrazyGuy

[112]Jan 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

This pretty much combats everything against the "Aang Ain't White" protests: http://glockgal.livejournal.com/375625.html?page=3#comments

I personally couldn't agree more with it. This person also talks about Hollywood-racism in general, and how The Last Airbender had the opportunity to be one of the few movies around, that sticks to it's ORIGINAL theme and roots (no matter Hollywood's commandments), and showcases an Asian (Eastern) theme and influence.

Okay so I went to the link and was sooo angered by it that I made my own profile just so I could post a lengthy rebuttal. Since the link is already in this quote^, I suggest you go to it and carefully read my response, which I had to break up over three consecutive posts.

I'm the one posting under "FastestFalcon" on it just so you know.

Tell me what you think.

I can see what you are saying, and you BOTH bring up great points. I look forward to seeing what her reply will be.

She replied, and I replied back. I'll give her this much: she is pretty civil about what she argues, despite being over-devoted to a silly cause.
    I don't think it is completely respectful to call it a "silly cause"... Some people are actually quite offended by this...

I know they are, it's just I think that they are so engrossed in the principles of this issue that they are not being realistic about what sort of action to take.
    Fair enough if you think that, I can see to some extent what you are trying to say, but all I'm saying, is labelling something that A LOT of people consider a serious issue as "silly", is quite rude...

Okay, sorry...
    That's okay...

_Flutterlight_

[113]Jan 7, 2009

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    I'm not changing OR altering ANYTHING you said (at least not deliberately) or making you "look like a bigot",

The whole reason I got sucked into this stupid arguement is because either you or Chesis got upset at me for saying that I would be happy with the movie actors as long as they looked and acted like the characters they are playing. I was accused of ignoring the "asianness" of Avatar- which I feel I did not do. (At least as much as the two of you did with the Avatar's other influences.)

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    in 70% of my posts, I have included Inuit's, you can't just take the FEW times I haven't included them in sentences (by accident) and say I don't mention them... And okay, let's say that the minority of influences in the A:TLA world, DO play a part in the movie's culture (which is greatly fair), what about the MAJORITY of the influences that inspired Avatar? Yeah, okay, 30-40% of the Avatar world might NOT be Asian/Inuit-based, but what about the other 60%? Do you seriously think this is fair?

This isn't a clear statement, so I have no idea what you mean here, and I'm not sure how to respond. Are you saying that the movie makers are going to edit out all the Asianness in the show? Or are you suggesting that it isn't fair that only 30-40% of Avatar is based off of non-Asian things?

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Fine, not everything in the Avatar world is 100% Asian/Inuit, but so what? In my opinion, 70% of the Avatar world is still based off of Asian/Inuit culture, and yet there are absolutely NO Asian or Inuit people in the main cast. You don't seriously think that that isn't supposed to offend people, do you...? And none of the known actors LOOK their parts either... Jesse McCartney looks NOTHING like Zuko, Jackson Rathbone looks nothing like Sokka, and Nicola Peltz also looks NOTHING like Katara... Maybe if the main actors had even a SMALL resemblance to their characters, I would change my views a bit, but until then, FAIL...

Maybe they hired people who have fanbases, to attract non-avatar fans to the movie, so the show's fanbase can grow and we might get a spin off show. It would be expensive to go out, find, hire, and train a bunch of inuits and asians. They wouldn't have any money left over for accurate scenery and special effects, which would also offend people. And now, I've said this once, I've said this a thousand times (congradulations, you're making me sound like my mother), I said "I'll be happy IF the actors look and act like their characters." I never said that they actually DID. EVER. This is that "changing my words" and "making me look like a bigot" thing again.

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    And to all the people who seem to have a *craving* for claiming that this bickering is "pointless", why bother coming here?

Well, if I didn't have to keep checking to see if people were misinterpreting my posts and changing what I said, then I would GLADLY leave and never come back. But instead, I'm forced to keep coming here to straighten you guys out.

ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    I mean, really, some of us ARE actually upset, and we have every right to be, so to all the people labelling this as "silly" or "pointless", why don't you take into account how OTHER people feel, and why this thread was even made...? This obviously isn't a minor thing, because it has upset A LOT of people all over the world, and has created a lot of controversy, there's even a freaking movement and actual website (and a very popular one I might add), based on this issue... So let us complain, and next time you have an issue like this, we *won't* label what you are offended by, as "silly".
    Well, you know what? There's actual freaking movements over the Lunar landings all being a government conspiracy, and area 51 having UFOs hidden in it, and a lot of people are upset over those things too, but that doesn't make me believe that those are "major things" either. I think those freaking movments are silly too.
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:
    Seriously, think about other people...

So now you're calling me insensitive? Well, since I'm so insensitive, let's talk about MY feelings for a while.

Do YOU have to listen through history class after history class about how the evil race you came from killed, inslaved, and stole from the poor other races? White people learn in school that they horrible, nasty people that persecute others. We never here about ANY of the good things our race contributed to society, and we never learn about the bad things the other races did either.

We don't learn about the wonders of the polio vaccine, or the horrible things the Aztecs were doing to the other Native American tribes, BEFORE the Spaniards came. Then we get out into the real world, and all we hear about is how the nasty rich white shallow people persecute others and fight ammung themselves.

It's in movies, books, the news... We can't get away from it. From MY perspective, lack of representation in a movie is a LOT better than being represented as horrible murderous scum.

_Flutterlight_

[114]Jan 7, 2009
    Chesis wrote:

Where on earth did you get that idea? My sole point was that if you people are going to throw such a big stink about Avatar's cast not being Asian, you need to at least acknowledge that there are other influences in the show too, SOME of which are white.

Chesis wrote:

Um, no. We DO have that sort of thing happening. A year ago I went to the Nutcracker, a German ballet. Clara- the main character- was played by a Mexican girl. I've seen shakespear been preformed by Afircan Americans. If what you said was true, those preformances should only have had white cast members.

Chesis wrote:

Are you saying that if I decided to be a part of a Cherokee film, I wouldn't be Cherokee anymore? What would I be then? Something else?

Chesis wrote:

So YOU need to be a part of your races' traditions, otherwise it's stealing your identity, but it's okay to leave ME out of mine, just because of my skin color? I'm sorry, but that really offends me.

Edited on 01/07/2009 8:24pm

Chesis

[115]Jan 7, 2009

Falcondude123 wrote:
    Sorry to interject, but that's NOT how it is today. People are not idiots. They can watch a white guy playing a part in an Asian setting and know he's supposed to be an Asian. It's called "suspension of disbelief", and it is a story-telling device employed by ALL authors and directors EVERYWHERE, particularly in the fantasy genre, which is exactly what Avatar is.

Really? It didn't seem to work in Avatar. Lots and lots of people who saw a kid with a shaved head in Buddhist robes raised by monks couldn't figure out what culture he had come from. Instead, we get a hundred thousand wails of, "but Aang looks white to me!"

It's amazing how few minorities you see in fantasy. While I love the Harry Potter movies and the Narnia movies and Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, it's only very rarely that Hollywood takes any sort of chance with fantasies starring blacks and Latinos and Asians. The reasoning usually is that these stories are based on European myths, so it's not really appropriate to have minority actors playing Frodo or the Pevensie kids.

Funny how when we've finally got a movie that's purposely not based on Western mythology, that argument doesn't seem to work the other way around.

_Flutterlight_

[116]Jan 7, 2009
    Look, I don't know where you get this "Minorities aren't cast in fantasy" idea. I know I just said this, but a year ago I went to the Nutcracker, a German ballet. Clara- the main character- was played by a Mexican girl. I've seen shakespear been preformed by Afircan Americans.

But am I upset that the wrong ethnicity was cast in a "white" play or ballet? Not really. If the preformers were really the best out there at the time, regardless of their skin color, I'm glad I got to watch them instead of an untalented white person.

ranger8060

[117]Jan 7, 2009
    i dont really know any inuit actors. does anyone else. cause i want to find out

Chesis

[118]Jan 7, 2009
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:

Again, see my above response. Are you saying that if I decided to be a part of a Cherokee film, I wouldn't be Cherokee? You're doing that denying me of my heritage thing again.

You're missing a few points here. Let me give you an example. If you had to cast someone to play an Asian guy in a movie, would you cast Tiger Woods or Keanu Reeves? Got an answer?

Now does it change anything if you know that Tiger Woods is one-half Asian and Keanu Reeves is only a quarter? Should we cast Tiger Woods because he's technically more Asian than Keanu Reeves? Of course not. How an audience *perceives* you on screen is important. Audiences will see Tiger Woods as black. So he can't play an Asian guy, no matter how Asian he actually is. *That* is my point. It has nothing to do with denying anybody their cultural heritage to say that look *does* matter when it comes to ethnic portrayals on film.

There are the race-neutral productions like the "Nutcracker" you saw, which are usually done to give minorities a shot at the roles they would usually be excluded from. You see it in the theater a lot, which is wonderful. But how often does this happen on television or in the movies? There's still an uproar whenever a white comic book character like Nick Fury or the Kingpin is played by a black actor. But the thing is, there's very little noise when a white actor takes over a minority role. Jake Gyllenhaal as the Prince of Persia? Fine. Justin Chatwin as Goku? Fine. Emile Hirch as Speed Racer? Not a peep. It's a double standard, and it' not pretty.

Avatar's casting is only getting as much attention as it is right now, because this is one of the rare cases where they went and whitewashed *all* the lead characters. That's pretty bad, even for Hollywood.

Edited on 01/07/2009 8:32pm

Chesis

[119]Jan 7, 2009
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    Look, I don't know where you get this "Minorities aren't cast in fantasy" idea. I know I just said this, but a year ago I went to the Nutcracker, a German ballet. Clara- the main character- was played by a Mexican girl. I've seen shakespear been preformed by Afircan Americans.

Theater's different. Can you think of any big Hollywood fantasy movies with a minority kid in the lead?

_Flutterlight_

[120]Jan 7, 2009
    1. Who's the better actor? I'd pick that guy.

2. It doesn't change my answer one bit. If Tiger Woods is the better actor, well, special lighting and the right make-up can do a lot in movie-making.

And how does this relate to Avatar, considering that the Water Tribe has aspects to it that make it only partially inuit.

3. Um, actually I saw the Joffrey version. I've seen it eight times, and that was the one time a non-white got the part of Clara. So I'd say she just did a better job dancing, and earned her role that way. Not because of the production being race-neutral.

That's what I *hope* the Avatar actors got cast for. Talent.

4. And have you considered that maybe there aren't that many good Asian and Inuit actors that fit the roles of the Avatar characters? Come on, it's not exactly an Inuit tradition to act, and there's a strong culture in Asians to get more regular-paying jobs.

5. They didn't wite-wash all the main characters. You're forgetting about Toph. I'd consider her a main, woudln't you?

Then there's all the still-important secondary characters like Iroh, Azula, Ty Lee, and Mai.