We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Aang Ain't White?

MarryLarry

[41]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 11

Eh. If I wanted to be cool, I'd use CAPSLOCK, and if this wasn't the internet, I'd swear you were just using a condescending tone to insult me. But anywho, you're kind of proving my point that you* don't get enough love at home if you* need to come on the interweb and vent to complete strangers, thinking they care about that wonderful mind of yours, or mine, or anyone else's for that matter. And in case you didn't know, Night is in control of pretty much every aspect of the movie, what with being the producer and all, and although he may have not hand picked the cast, he has the final approval of who gets the part.

And I'd be a hypocrite if I expected no complaining since I'm complaining about you people complaining about the actors. I believe I mentioned that but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. If you're going to moan and groan, be sure it's for the right reasons.

So now that I cleared that up, I hope all the whiny-whiteys and failed Asian actors out there who didn't get the part of Aang can finally stop using racism as an illegitimate excuse to get a grievances check.

*By "you", I'm not referring to anyone specifically. I don't have to since...well deep down a person knows if they're really a loser or not. But sometimes they just need a little friendly reminder at how childish they're acting.

Edited on 01/03/2009 8:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ThisCrazyGuy

[42]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 8
    MarryLarry wrote:

Eh. If I wanted to be cool, I'd use CAPSLOCK, and if this wasn't the internet, I'd swear you were just using a condescending tone to insult me. But anywho, you're kind of proving my point that you* don't get enough love at home if you* need to come on the interweb and vent to complete strangers, thinking they care about that wonderful mind of yours, or mine, or anyone else's for that matter. And in case you didn't know, Night is in control of pretty much every aspect of the movie, what with being the producer and all, and although he may have not hand picked the cast, he has the final approval of who gets the part.

And I'd be a hypocrite if I expected no complaining since I'm complaining about you people complaining about the actors. I believe I mentioned that but perhaps I wasn't clear enough. If you're going to moan and groan, be sure it's for the right reasons.

So now that I cleared that up, I hope all the whiny-whiteys and failed Asian actors out there who didn't get the part of Aang can finally stop using racism as an illegitimate excuse to get a grievances check.

*By "you", I'm not referring to anyone specifically. I don't have to since...well deep down a person knows if they're really a loser or not. But sometimes they just need a little friendly reminder at how childish they're acting.

Well, my family cares for me, my friends care about me, and I am certainly NOT a loser. And people may be venting to complete strangers, but I think you will also find that people are agreeing with each other. And I'm not really venting compared to most of the other Avatar fans out there, or the "Aang Ain't White" protesters... And we are moaning and groaning for the right reasons... Do you seriously think that people DON'T have the right to complain? And no one is acting childish here, so your so-called "reminders" won't be needed... I have a life, family, friends and future to worry about, and a life outside of my computer room, but many people on the Internet that are Avatar fans, basically (like me) are pissed off, that just so happens to be MANY people, so it is natural to go on to sites concerning the matter and complain... If you don't understand or care why people are getting angry, then that is fine, but don't label the people that are mature and have every right to express themselves, as childish...
    Edited on 01/04/2009 5:59am

MarryLarry

[43]Jan 3, 2009

I really didn't want to hear your life story or whether your mom loves you enough. And did you read that asterick? Because I have this strong feeling you're only reading half of what I said and getting the wrong impression since most of the stuff you pointed out I already satirically explained with a sense of humor I fear might have escaped you. But I guess I don't really need to remind you of that [insert smug smiley face].

But anyway, I said what needed to be said and I have nothing more to add at this time. But anyone who agrees with me on the false declaration of racism feel free to back me up and take over from here.

LovexHarmonyxx

[44]Jan 3, 2009
    Wow, "my family loves me", such a great achievement. No effense, but is it really worth it to get into a heated argument in a forum like this?

Falcondude123

[45]Jan 3, 2009
    • level: 10
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

This pretty much combats everything against the "Aang Ain't White" protests: http://glockgal.livejournal.com/375625.html?page=3#comments

I personally couldn't agree more with it. This person also talks about Hollywood-racism in general, and how The Last Airbender had the opportunity to be one of the few movies around, that sticks to it's ORIGINAL theme and roots (no matter Hollywood's commandments), and showcases an Asian (Eastern) theme and influence.

Okay so I went to the link and was sooo angered by it that I made my own profile just so I could post a lengthy rebuttal. Since the link is already in this quote^, I suggest you go to it and carefully read my response, which I had to break up over three consecutive posts.

I'm the one posting under "FastestFalcon" on it just so you know.

Tell me what you think.

Edited on 01/03/2009 10:54pm

Chesis

[46]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 2
    Oh. My. God. If that doesn't get deleted, they are going to eat you ALIVE. You honestly think the characters were *meant* to be Caucasians in an Asian universe? And that there's a group of fans who would prefer the actors were Caucasian even if the characters *were* Asian?

You, poor, poor miserable fool.

Chesis

[47]Jan 4, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:

I mean where does Hollywood get off. It's not like they've ever let any asians ever speak, let alone star, in any movies before, amirite? That is as long as you disregard the two-bit white-loving race-betraying actors like Jackie Chan, Yun-Fat Chow, and about a dozen others whose name has some version of "Lee" in it.

They're perfectly happy to have foreign actors in B-grade martial arts movies. If they speak English without an accent, though, the work dries up.

MarryLarry wrote:

And it's not like the reason for Asians not being in every single movie has anything to do with the fact that they make up less than 6% of America's population or that a teeny-weeny percentile of that number will actually go into the acting profession.

Why would you go into acting when there aren't any roles? A lot of American-born Chinese actors find more success abroad in Hong Kong than they do here, which is an awful shame. The reason why there are so few professional Asian kid actors around is that nobody ever casts them in anything, and certainly not the leads of fantasy pictures. But believe me, when the casting directors go looking, they find them.

MarryLarry wrote:

However, if you feel the need to use racism to falsely justify your hormonal outrages, I'm going to have to kindly ask you to gtfo.

And if you are going to dismiss my righteous moral outrage at the continued injustices aimed at, not just me, but the 35% of the US population that isn't white, that isn't going to see any damn representation of themselves in a movie that was original conceived of as an entirely minority-culture-based piece of entertainment - and that you seem so sure that the bulk of the white audience will happily accept without asking why all the previously brown and yellow characters are now white, white, white, and white - I will talk you into the DAMN FLOOR.

ThisCrazyGuy

[48]Jan 4, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:

I really didn't want to hear your life story or whether your mom loves you enough. And did you read that asterick? Because I have this strong feeling you're only reading half of what I said and getting the wrong impression since most of the stuff you pointed out I already satirically explained with a sense of humor I fear might have escaped you. But I guess I don't really need to remind you of that [insert smug smiley face].

But anyway, I said what needed to be said and I have nothing more to add at this time. But anyone who agrees with me on the false declaration of racism feel free to back me up and take over from here.

I don't really care about what you wanted to hear. It wasn't a life story, it was a sentence, and it seemed like you insulted me, so I backed myself up, plain and simple, if you don't like that, then a tip would be to not start arguments with people in the first place. You and your so-called "sense of humour" have pissed off a lot of different people on these boards.
    Edited on 01/04/2009 8:52am

ThisCrazyGuy

[49]Jan 4, 2009
    LovexHarmonyxx wrote:
    Wow, "my family loves me", such a great achievement. No effense, but is it really worth it to get into a heated argument in a forum like this?
    Great achievement? As much as I love your sarcasm, why don't you tell that to MarryLarry, who is the one who started the argument...? He was basically implying that I don't get enough love from my family or friends (which I find offensive), so naturally I stuck up for myself... That argument is over anyway (and yes, I know, it was a dumb thing to argue about)...
    Edited on 01/04/2009 11:14am

Falcondude123

[50]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 10

Chesis wrote:
    Oh. My. God. If that doesn't get deleted, they are going to eat you ALIVE. You honestly think the characters were *meant* to be Caucasians in an Asian universe? And that there's a group of fans who would prefer the actors were Caucasian even if the characters *were* Asian? You, poor, poor miserable fool.

Uh, no. You mis-stated my point. I believe that if the characters were obviously MEANT to be white, they should be so. Likewise, if the characters were obviosuly MEANT to be dark-skinned (like the Guru) then they should be so.

Sokka and Katara are pretty clearly a slight bit darker than Aang, Zuko or Toph. Do I think these white kids can pull Katara and Sokka off? Absolutely, since other members of the water-tribe were very white, and it was just randomn coincidence that they were so much tanner in the show.

Is it racism for the producers/casters to choose white kids for those parts? To you it is, because you people want to believe that everybody in this world is rotten. You even NEED to believe it so that you can feel like your making some kind of positive change in the world by trying to get everybody who doesn't think like you do fired and/or feeling lie crap.

If you really think that you're somehow battling hatred in the world, start by taking a look in the bathroom mirror, pal!

ThisCrazyGuy

[51]Jan 4, 2009
    Falcondude123 wrote:
    ThisCrazyGuy wrote:

This pretty much combats everything against the "Aang Ain't White" protests: http://glockgal.livejournal.com/375625.html?page=3#comments

I personally couldn't agree more with it. This person also talks about Hollywood-racism in general, and how The Last Airbender had the opportunity to be one of the few movies around, that sticks to it's ORIGINAL theme and roots (no matter Hollywood's commandments), and showcases an Asian (Eastern) theme and influence.

Okay so I went to the link and was sooo angered by it that I made my own profile just so I could post a lengthy rebuttal. Since the link is already in this quote^, I suggest you go to it and carefully read my response, which I had to break up over three consecutive posts.

I'm the one posting under "FastestFalcon" on it just so you know.

Tell me what you think.

I can see what you are saying, and you BOTH bring up great points. I look forward to seeing what her reply will be.

_Flutterlight_

[52]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 15
    Here's a question:

A seed from a tree native to North America is taken to Africa. It is planted in Africa, grown in Africa, takes in African water and African nutriants from the soil.

It's fruit is taken back to North America, and made into a pie with flour, water, sugar, and vanilla all made/grown in North America.

Is the pie African?

ThisCrazyGuy

[53]Jan 4, 2009
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    Here's a question:

A seed from a tree native to North America is taken to Africa. It is planted in Africa, grown in Africa, takes in African water and African nutriants from the soil.

It's fruit is taken back to North America, and made into a pie with flour, water, sugar, and vanilla all made/grown in North America.

Is the pie African?
    *Sigh*...

Where are you going with this?

_Flutterlight_

[54]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 15
    What I'm getting at is: Avatar is unique, like the pie. It is a melting pot of a million different ideas and characters (ingrediants). It's not "Asian" and it's not "American". You can't pin it down under any one thing or set of rules.

So why should the actors be pinned down to one ethnicity either? Should Katara's actor look a little bit like her in real life, with dark wavy hair and blue eyes? Ideally, yes. But should she be 100% inuit? Maybe not. Inuits usually don't have blue eyes and have brown wavy hair. Her actor would have to wear contacts, die her hair, and curl it to look the part.

Or maybe they could find somebody who wasn't 100% inuit, but had blue eyes and brown wavy hair instead. That would be more like "Katara", wouldn't it?

Chesis

[55]Jan 4, 2009
    Falcondude123 wrote:

Sokka and Katara are pretty clearly a slight bit darker than Aang, Zuko or Toph. Do I think these white kids can pull Katara and Sokka off? Absolutely, since other members of the water-tribe were very white, and it was just randomn coincidence that they were so much tanner in the show.

We weren't watching the same show if you think the members of the water tribes were white.
    Falcondude123 wrote:

Is it racism for the producers/casters to choose white kids for those parts? To you it is, because you people want to believe that everybody in this world is rotten. You even NEED to believe it so that you can feel like your making some kind of positive change in the world by trying to get everybody who doesn't think like you do fired and/or feeling lie crap.

I don't think Mike and Bryan were rotten at all. I think they took pains to create a show based on Asian and Inuit influences, and the film's producers completely ignored this in the way they cast. I wouldn't have such a big problem if there were one or two minorities - not even necessarily Asian or Inuit. Katara and Sokka could have been black or Latino or Middle Eastern. But when the POINT of the show was that it was supposed to be non-Western, and non-European, and not the same old pseudo-Mediaval fantasy world, having an all-White cast isn't just inappropriate, it shows a fundamental lack of respect for the source material.

I mean, if they show so little care in who they cast, what does that say about how they're going to handle the rest of the movie? If you feel like crap, it's because deep down you understand that this is wrong.

gilvatar

[56]Jan 4, 2009
    • level: 17
    I have a question. If the characters live in a world where there is no Asia or Africa or Europe or Americae ect. how can we define them in terms of our nationalities in our world? There are only 4 races in the Avatar world. So in theory, Aang's actor could be purple w/ blue spots since his race doesn't excist here.

btw pie-methaphore guy, good metaphore. sounds like somethign iroh would say.

Chesis

[57]Jan 4, 2009
    _Flutterlight_ wrote:
    What I'm getting at is: Avatar is unique, like the pie. It is a melting pot of a million different ideas and characters (ingrediants). It's not "Asian" and it's not "American". You can't pin it down under any one thing or set of rules.

So why should the actors be pinned down to one ethnicity either?

They shouldn't. By why is it okay that everyone in a cast that's supposed to be made up of different ethnicities white? Seriously, if you look at other shows and movies, you see diverse casts all the time. This is what they pay casting directors to do, to find kids that are Latino and black and Asian and Native American to reflect real life.

And really, Avatar has been Asian from day one. It's been marketed as Asian by Nickelodeon, the overwhelming majority of the influences are Asian and Inuit. I mean, if you take out all the Asian stuff from Avatar, what do you have left? A bunch of white kids throwing buckets of water and rocks at each other, that's what.

ThisCrazyGuy

[58]Jan 4, 2009
    gilvatar wrote:
    I have a question. If the characters live in a world where there is no Asia or Africa or Europe or Americae ect. how can we define them in terms of our nationalities in our world? There are only 4 races in the Avatar world. So in theory, Aang's actor could be purple w/ blue spots since his race doesn't excist here.

btw pie-methaphore guy, good metaphore. sounds like somethign iroh would say.
    The characters skin colours are Asian, the races may be fantasy, but LOOK at them. Look at the entire Avatar world, and tell me there isn't a MASSIVE Asian and Inuit influence there...

MarryLarry

[59]Jan 4, 2009

Chesis wrote:
    RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Yep. Capslock = cruise control to cool. Anyway, you're kind of acting like one of those self-hating, attention-seeking weeaboo/azns I mentioned earlier who's just looking to stir things up. So unless you can somehow manage to show me some credentials that proves your so-called professionality at movie and casting racism, I'm going to go ahead and call BS. And no, I'm not talking about the Blue Spirit. And "Rush Hour", "Letters from Iwo Jima", and "Forbidden Kingdom" weren't B-movies. That's just some of many, but I don't feel like making a long list of movies that will ultimately fail to change your mind.

And for what it's worth, I might have agreed with the potential racism had the producer been white, but seeing as how he's not, you're going to have to blame crapping casting talent instead.

To sum up my unimportant opinion that won't change anything: would I have liked to see a multi-ethnic cast? Sure. Am I going to vehemently and "righteously" boycott this movie simply because all the known actors appear to be white? No. Am I blaming this upset on racism and planning to blog about it to my list of like-minded friends? He11 no.

P.S. to that crazy guy (see what I did there). Thank you for confirming my suspicions that you've only been reading bits-and-pieces of my posts, seeing as how you failed to read that asterick explaining that I wasn't explicitly referring to you. If you thought I was blantantly offending you personally, I am sincerely not sorry.

ThisCrazyGuy

[60]Jan 4, 2009
    MarryLarry wrote:

Chesis wrote:
    RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

Yep. Capslock = cruise control to cool. Anyway, you're kind of acting like one of those self-hating, attention-seeking weeaboo/azns I mentioned earlier who's just looking to stir things up. So unless you can somehow manage to show me some credentials that proves your so-called professionality at movie and casting racism, I'm going to go ahead and call BS. And no, I'm not talking about the Blue Spirit. And "Rush Hour", "Letters from Iwo Jima", and "Forbidden Kingdom" weren't B-movies. That's just some of many, but I don't feel like making a long list of movies that will ultimately fail to change your mind.

And for what it's worth, I might have agreed with the potential racism had the producer been white, but seeing as how he's not, you're going to have to blame crapping casting talent instead.

To sum up my unimportant opinion that won't change anything: would I have liked to see a multi-ethnic cast? Sure. Am I going to vehemently and "righteously" boycott this movie simply because all the known actors appear to be white? No. Am I blaming this upset on racism and planning to blog about it to my list of like-minded friends? He11 no.

P.S. to that crazy guy (see what I did there). Thank you for confirming my suspicions that you've only been reading bits-and-pieces of my posts, seeing as how you failed to read that asterick explaining that I wasn't explicitly referring to you. If you thought I was blantantly offending you personally, I am sincerely not sorry.

I know that you weren't referring directly to me, but it seemed like you were referring to people who are doing exactly what I'm doing.
    Edited on 01/04/2009 4:34pm