We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Official "iSam's Mom" Episode Discussion

KJLwriter

[101]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 8
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    I agree too in a way. It kind of reminds me of in iSaved Your Life where Sam eats a taco from the truck that hit Freddie but before she was freaking out. It's a comedy so they probably won't make it too serious. Though, judging by the promo I saw, it made me feel really bad for Sam.

Oh, yeah, and you know who Sam's mom reminds me of? Benny from George Lopez. In a way. Just the one comment: "Remember Mr. Fluffles (can't remember the real name)?" "You mean my old rabbit?" "Yeah, he didn't really run away..." (wow, you really don't realize how much of the dialogue you forget until you actually type it out lol that was just awful on my part haha).

KJLwriter - That's how I feel. My sister was valedictorian of her class. I was nowhere near that. I always get "criticized" by my parents and she gets crap (nothing). It kills me on the inside!

Yeah, my parents don't "criticize" me. They know I try. I try really hard to do well in school. They know that. They don't mean to put pressure on me, but they do. They know I'm good at my own things. They're proud of me. I just wish school was easier for me.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MusicAddictBabe

[102]Sep 7, 2010
    • level: 18
    "Criticize" may not be the word I wanted to use. But they expect more from me like how my sister was.

KJLwriter

[103]Sep 8, 2010
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    "Criticize" may not be the word I wanted to use. But they expect more from me like how my sister was.

I see what you mean. My parents expect the best out of me. That's what I give them. That's all I can give them. My sister stresses over her grades. Like, she cries if she doesn't get a B. I am happy when I get a B. I want A's and B's. So, if I get a B, then I'm happy.

pscf3

[104]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 16

I get in trouble for getting a 92 on a history test…

KJLwriter

[105]Sep 8, 2010
    92? An A-? Wow......you sound like a guy I know. I'm sorry you get in trouble like that. A 92 is good. Remember that.

teenj12

[106]Sep 8, 2010
    • level: 26
    pscf3 wrote:

I get in trouble for getting a 92 on a history test…

That's crazy. My parents are happy if I get a D atleast.

MusicAddictBabe

[107]Sep 8, 2010
    It's not unheard of, though. My cousin is expected to get 90's in all her classes. I remember this kid in my class told someone that when he gets his grades up in the 90's or something, his parents will get him a CD or something else. It sounds like he's spoiled but really I wouldn't say he was THAT great in school...though, I'm not saying he's not spoiled because he's very spoiled lol.

teenj12

[108]Sep 8, 2010
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    It's not unheard of, though. My cousin is expected to get 90's in all her classes. I remember this kid in my class told someone that when he gets his grades up in the 90's or something, his parents will get him a CD or something else. It sounds like he's spoiled but really I wouldn't say he was THAT great in school...though, I'm not saying he's not spoiled because he's very spoiled lol.

Why do some parents put so much pressure on their kids? As if they were any better as children .

MusicAddictBabe

[109]Sep 8, 2010
    I don't know. I'm no psychologist but I'm sure it has something to do with them really wanting us to do our best...like, if we do get high grades, we're, therefore, giving them a good reputation as good parents. My cousin's an only child and I can only imagine why they put so much pressure on her. I have another "cousin" who's in the same boat but has an older brother. He became the Valedictorian and president of our class. Why? Throughout his whole life, his mom makes sure he's on top of things because, well, she's a very strict 6th grade teacher. Yeah. You REALLY don't wanna mess with her. But I guess that kind of discipline worked out well for him, right? (I wanna say he even made it to Penn State University - one of the biggest colleges in PA - but I could be wrong. I can't really remember.)

lol I have to agree with you, though, about them being any better as kids. Whenever I get in trouble, I always think to myself, 'Oh, come on...like you didn't do anything worse when you were a kid....' lol Of course, usually, if you get into trouble and your parents yell at you for it, there's a possibility they did something just as bad if not worse when they were young they really wish they hadn't.

teenj12

[110]Sep 8, 2010
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    I don't know. I'm no psychologist but I'm sure it has something to do with them really wanting us to do our best...like, if we do get high grades, we're, therefore, giving them a good reputation as good parents. My cousin's an only child and I can only imagine why they put so much pressure on her. I have another "cousin" who's in the same boat but has an older brother. He became the Valedictorian and president of our class. Why? Throughout his whole life, his mom makes sure he's on top of things because, well, she's a very strict 6th grade teacher. Yeah. You REALLY don't wanna mess with her. But I guess that kind of discipline worked out well for him, right? (I wanna say he even made it to Penn State University - one of the biggest colleges in PA - but I could be wrong. I can't really remember.)

lol I have to agree with you, though, about them being any better as kids. Whenever I get in trouble, I always think to myself, 'Oh, come on...like you didn't do anything worse when you were a kid....' lol Of course, usually, if you get into trouble and your parents yell at you for it, there's a possibility they did something just as bad if not worse when they were young they really wish they hadn't.

They say parents don't want their kids to make same mistakes they made,but that's still a little hypocritical.

AllieAllie

[111]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 22

Sneak peek!

http://www.etonline.com/news/2010/09/90690/index.html

KJLwriter

[112]Sep 9, 2010
    I think my parents want the best for me. I mean, they want a better life for me than they had. They want me to make a lot of money, travel to wonderful places and stuff. My dad doesn't really want me to be a writer because he's a writer. He knows I won't get paid that much. I don't really care though. I think, deep down, he's happy I'm becoming a writer. He's happy I'm following in his footsteps.

MusicAddictBabe

[113]Sep 9, 2010
    TJ12 - That's basically what I just said lol. One of my aunts is particularly strict with my cousins. But one of my other cousins told me that her dad told her what she was REALLY like when she was younger. It's quite funny actually.

DPluver2012

[114]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 11
    lol my parents hope i get good grades bc i want to get into ohio state university ( that takes A's haha) and they just hope i dont turn out like my bro who had a kid at 19 and attends college then drops out.

its neat to hear where all of u guys come from, like what ur parents think of u and expect u to do. its interesting lol.

btw the sneak peeks are freakin hilarious

TimothyBurley

[115]Sep 9, 2010
    • level: 7

My mom and dad dont care bout my grades as long as i got mostly Ds and Cs.

DPluver2012

[116]Sep 9, 2010
    really? my parents pay my school fees so i owe it to them to get good grades. lol but to timothy-do u get Ds and Cs or do u try to impress ur parents with Bs and As?

vanillacupcakes

[117]Sep 9, 2010
    I've gotten in trouble for 92s-95s, high five! Except for me it wasn't a "You're stupid, get A+'s like you cousin does"(still don't know how she is able to get those A+s) but it was more like "You could have done better than that, I know you're smarter than that. Look at your mistake. You accidentally skipped an answer on your scantron" or "That class sounds so easy! You better study harder". They want me to live up to my full potential, if I'm lazy and get an A on a test they get mad, but if I work my hardest and get a B on a test they are fine. If I'm lazy and get an A+ then they just sigh and say "You're lucky you got away with doing that this time..." then lecture.

I don't think Sam's mom can see that Sam is pretty smart. I think Sam's mom treats her like she's a hopeless idiot, but I guess we have to see the episode to find out.

pscf3

[118]Sep 9, 2010
    That's exactly how it is with me.

vanillacupcakes wrote:
    I've gotten in trouble for 92s-95s, high five! Except for me it wasn't a "You're stupid, get A+'s like you cousin does"(still don't know how she is able to get those A+s) but it was more like "You could have done better than that, I know you're smarter than that. Look at your mistake. You accidentally skipped an answer on your scantron" or "That class sounds so easy! You better study harder". They want me to live up to my full potential, if I'm lazy and get an A on a test they get mad, but if I work my hardest and get a B on a test they are fine. If I'm lazy and get an A+ then they just sigh and say "You're lucky you got away with doing that this time..." then lecture.

I don't think Sam's mom can see that Sam is pretty smart. I think Sam's mom treats her like she's a hopeless idiot, but I guess we have to see the episode to find out.

KJLwriter

[119]Sep 9, 2010
    DPluver2012 wrote:
    lol my parents hope i get good grades bc i want to get into ohio state university ( that takes A's haha) and they just hope i dont turn out like my bro who had a kid at 19 and attends college then drops out.

its neat to hear where all of u guys come from, like what ur parents think of u and expect u to do. its interesting lol.

btw the sneak peeks are freakin hilarious

Ohio State....you mean THE Ohio State. hahaha. They always make sure they have the THE!!

DPluver2012

[120]Sep 9, 2010
    vanillacupcakes wrote:

i hate those stupid scantrons...they always make me second guess myself because i will have like 4 b answers in a row, then 3 d answers haha i hate em!