We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Official "iSam's Mom" Episode Discussion

T7F

[141]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 7
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    Yeah, that kind of bugged me. Like in iTTK I wanted the prisoners to get caught too, but I still like it sort of unresolved like that. It was funny, I feel bad for the people in 8-H. Carly was pretty hilarious in the end. But why didn't she freak out when she was trapped in iPsycho? Well she did a little bit, but she didn't act goat-like.

It was heavily implied she was acting. I loved this episode.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Aprilshakira

[142]Sep 11, 2010
    • level: 10

Carly wasn't acting. It's a good thought but in the funfacts Dan explained that Carly is claustrophobic. In iPyscho it must have been a plot hole, but if it was me (as a claustrophobic) the space is big enough and their are holes in the door so I wouldn't be SO claustrophobic because at least their is a way of getting out of the door get's stuck or something.

JonathonWolf

[143]Sep 12, 2010
    Aprilshakira wrote:

Carly wasn't acting. It's a good thought but in the funfacts Dan explained that Carly is claustrophobic. In iPyscho it must have been a plot hole, but if it was me (as a claustrophobic) the space is big enough and their are holes in the door so I wouldn't be SO claustrophobic because at least their is a way of getting out of the door get's stuck or something.

It would depend on the level of claustrophobia. If you look at the differences, the spaces that Carly has freaked out in have been cramped and difficult to move in. The therapy booth is little more than a large closet; the space shuttle simulator was filled to the brim with stuff. The recording booth in iPsycho looked a bigger than the simulator, and there was almost nothing in it. They had enough room to pace and stretch out to sleep. Also, in both cases of freakouts; Carly has specifically been given conditions to be released that seem impossible and have involved people bickering. It's possible that when she gets worked up trying to keep the peace, she starts feeling the tension pressing down on her and is the actual cause of her phobia. You'd have to rewatch all the episodes, but it may very well be that she normally walks away when she can't resolve the situation. It's giving too much credit to the writers since the real reason is that it's funny.

KJLwriter

[144]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 8
    I loved that part. Overall, I loved the entire episode. It was really good. Jane Lynch was awesome, as always. I have always wondered how Sam's mom looked. Now, I don't have to wonder anymore. I like that. I wonder if they're going to do the same thing with Carly's dad because we're never seen him too.

frontman19

[145]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 14

Pretty good episode I say, I laughed quite a bit, especially on Freddie's storyline, which I wish could have been more drawn out, but I couldn't stop laughing at the scene in the Groovy Smoothie when they made his identity and location so obvious and Gunsmoke was really funny as a stereotype. I wish they had more Jane Lynch screen time, but she was funny in the scenes she was in, and was a good choice to play Sam's mom. The last make-up scene was funny, but Carly acting like a goat was really random, she could have acted the same way she did in the space pod, and I think trying to hear Sam and her mom make up over loud screaming and panicking would have been much funnier (at least to me). Overall though I'm impressed with this season and look forward to more.

T7F

[146]Sep 12, 2010
    KJLwriter wrote:
    I loved that part. Overall, I loved the entire episode. It was really good. Jane Lynch was awesome, as always. I have always wondered how Sam's mom looked. Now, I don't have to wonder anymore. I like that. I wonder if they're going to do the same thing with Carly's dad because we're never seen him too.

End it when he dates sam's mom.........

saylavee

[147]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 18
    I'm so late I wasnt able to get on the computer to post last night so here I am! about 16 hours later!

I really loved this episode. Jane Lynch was awesome. Though my one complaint was Carly's claustrophobia goat-noise thing. It was funny, but it was just felt to forced and unrealistic. My mom is claustrophobic and whenever we're in a tight space she doesnt just stay calm for a few minutes then randomly burst out screaming. It gradually takes effect. But I guess, like jonathanwolf said, it depends on the degree of claustrophobia.

I do like that Carly's fear stayed with her from iSO though. Subplot was awesome! I guess you can say T-Bo is the new Gibby now? Not as in the new guy who does weird things and takes his shirt off. I mean now that Gibby is a main character, T-Bo took his spot as a more recurring character. Yay more T-Bo!

pscf3

[148]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 16
    I still think that T-Bo should be main character number 6 in season 5.

And if gibby's a main character, then how come he was only in like.... Two scences in the beginning?

saylavee wrote:
    I'm so late I wasnt able to get on the computer to post last night so here I am! about 16 hours later!

I really loved this episode. Jane Lynch was awesome. Though my one complaint was Carly's claustrophobia goat-noise thing. It was funny, but it was just felt to forced and unrealistic. My mom is claustrophobic and whenever we're in a tight space she doesnt just stay calm for a few minutes then randomly burst out screaming. It gradually takes effect. But I guess, like jonathanwolf said, it depends on the degree of claustrophobia.

I do like that Carly's fear stayed with her from iSO though. Subplot was awesome! I guess you can say T-Bo is the new Gibby now? Not as in the new guy who does weird things and takes his shirt off. I mean now that Gibby is a main character, T-Bo took his spot as a more recurring character. Yay more T-Bo!

T7F

[149]Sep 12, 2010
    pscf3 wrote:
    I still think that T-Bo should be main character number 6 in season 5.

And if gibby's a main character, then how come he was only in like.... Two scences in the beginning?

saylavee wrote:

IKR he isnt getting any screen time

Aprilshakira

[150]Sep 12, 2010

Unlike most people the fact that Gibby is a main character bothers me. He hasn't had much development yet so I don't really know who his character is. Same goes for Carly, Spencer, Sam and Freddie. So before they added ANOTHER main character they should have developed the four slightly first...

charmed4eva112

[151]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 20
    I finally saw the episode today, and I do admit that it was possibly the best one I've seen in a while. I thought it was pretty funny, and Jane Lynch didn't disappoint. She actually did a good job as Sam's mom, though I doubt that Sam will be on good terms with her mom forever; it'll probably wear off after a while. Carly's freakout was funny, but a little unrealistic, but you never know how claustrophobia works with people!

The subplot was also really good, though I am wondering, if the ShadowHammer dude did see the news, wouldn't he know what Freddie looked like? It doesn't matter if he got the wrong address, but if he ever saw Freddie, wouldn't he know to hurt him on the spot? The robber dude will obviously figure out that he got the wrong family and will continue to search for Freddie, though that is just me going into overdrive. I tend to look into things too much and since this is Nick, the Shadow Hammer guy won't be seen again. But I do love T-Bo. Honestly, he's very funny this season, and I want to see more of him and Gibby

iCarly317

[152]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 13
    Believe it or not...I think the best character in this episode was Gunsmoke. For some reason, I found him pretty funny. Especially how he goes from wanting to watch a killing movie to watching Full House. I think it was a really good episode, and I enjoyed it. Some people may find Carly's panic attack random, crazy, or just weird, but I thought it was pretty funny and well played out by Miranda. Now we know 2 things about Carly though: That she had asthma when she was a kid, and now that she's claustrophobic. So there's more to Carly than meets the eye apparently. And the difference with the space pod freakout is just that she screamed and jumped through the window and left. This time she couldn't do that.

vanillacupcakes

[153]Sep 12, 2010

I don't like Gibby as a main character, but I kind of want LESS of him. I adore Gibby, I do, but I like him showing up randomly more....like the first episode that he was in where he just ran into the detention room without a shirt screaming. He's grown up and changed, but I did like him better when he was little when he acted weirder. Now he's another normal kid who says some funny stuff. I really liked the iCarly trio dynamic. I actually didn't mind Gibby only being there in the beginning. I liked that better than the "Gibby getting his grandfather to give Spencer a haircut" storyline. I'm still not used to him being there. "Less is more. CHA CHA CHA, Charmin!"

I don't know why, but the Shadow Hammer reminded me of the episode of "Drake and Josh" where everybody thought Josh was the criminal. Maybe it was because both of the criminals seemed similar since they both robbed cash registers? I kind of wanted Freddie to put on weird disguises like that afro in iKiss so he wouldn't recognize him. I was concerned with the fact that criminals are usually cunning and smart to be able to outsmart so many people. So I thought it was weird that he didn't notice that the apartment numbers(from left to right alternating between the sides of the hall) would go C, H, E, F, G, D. I thought he wouldn't have fallen for it and would look for him, but I still thought it was funny. I assume they won't see him again, but maybe he will be referenced in a future episode? Like the prisoners in iTTK, Melanie, Wade Collins, etc. I kind of liked him, haha.

I find T-Bo hilarious. They are showing him an awful lot now. I don't want him to be a regular either, I just want him to have as much of a part of iCarly as he does now. "Buy 12 smoothies and get the 13th one for 10% off!" LOL and then it expired the next day. Love it.

xboxplayer29

[154]Sep 12, 2010
    • level: 3

I think it is funny how people are talking about Gibby, but ignoring what went on yesterday... I liked Gibby because in Ipsycho and before this episode Gibby was still a "kid" lol and that is why he was funnier... BUT if you did not notice yesterday... Gibby is now taller and his voice changed a bit and he looked like he lost a little, not much, but a little weight... hahaha

Canada_Michael

[155]Sep 13, 2010

I think this episode clearly showed me that we are headed for a showdown between Freddie & his mom before the series ends. We now have a clearer understanding at least of the relationship between Sam & her mom, & I think they will do something similar with Freddie and his mom. This episode shows that Freddie is treated the same way by his mom as he was at the beginning of the series, there has to be a resolution & explanation of why she is so protective to the extreme. Freddie has to snap at some point IMO.

AllieAllie

[156]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 22

Good episode, Jane Lynch was cast perfectly as Sam's mom, like I thought before. She did a great job in all of her scenes. I thought the claustrophobia thing was unrealistic too, but there are varying degrees and types of claustrophobia. The scenes with the robber were funny too XP

frontman19

[157]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 14

Canada_Michael wrote:

I think this episode clearly showed me that we are headed for a showdown between Freddie & his mom before the series ends. We now have a clearer understanding at least of the relationship between Sam & her mom, & I think they will do something similar with Freddie and his mom. This episode shows that Freddie is treated the same way by his mom as he was at the beginning of the series, there has to be a resolution & explanation of why she is so protective to the extreme. Freddie has to snap at some point IMO.

I mean they already did have Freddie snap once in iMove Out, even if he did move back eventually. I think it would an episode in which find out a bit about Mrs. Benson's past and why she acts the way she does would be really great, but I don't think it will be done, this show is a comedy and the reason she acts that way is because it's funny, I mean if they did an episode that explained it, it would kill the humor in the extreme over-protection.

vanillacupcakes

[158]Sep 13, 2010
    I don't think they will ever straight out say why anybody acts the way they do. I agree that I think Freddie and Ms. Benson had their "relationship moment" in iMove Out. Freddie snapped and got mad, but did realize he's not completely grown up, causing him to appreciate his mother a little more. Then Ms. Benson said she would lay off, so I thought their struggles have been resolved. I think if Freddie dates Carly or Sam, Ms. Benson will also lay off of Freddie more. She has to be more acceptive of the girl he dates and give Freddie a little more freedom. Proven from iSYL, Ms. Benson wasn't so fond of Carly taking her "precious son" away from her and from Freddie's blog she wants to send Sam back to juvie because she's...well Sam. Freddie's relationship will be no good without his mother being supportive, like Carly's relationship with Griffin wasn't working out well until Spencer was supportive. So I think Ms. Benson will let go a little and let Freddie grow up after he dates...somebody.

JAstars

[159]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 1

i just rewatched the episode lol and again it amazed me how much i enjoyed the freddie subplot. While i did like pam and sam and finally getting to see them interact, for me the freddie storyline stole the show. Every scene of it had me loling like crazy. A pleasant surprise since prior to the premiere i was mainly focused on sam's

KJLwriter

[160]Sep 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    JAstars wrote:

i just rewatched the episode lol and again it amazed me how much i enjoyed the freddie subplot. While i did like pam and sam and finally getting to see them interact, for me the freddie storyline stole the show. Every scene of it had me loling like crazy. A pleasant surprise since prior to the premiere i was mainly focused on sam's

I just watched it again too. I kind of agree with you. All of the scenes I was laughing a lot were with Freddie's plot. They had the most humor. When we first meet Sam's mom, that's funny. Then, when Carly freaks out in that small room, that's funny. Though, I like Freddie's part in the episode better. I'm not saying that the rest of the show wasn't good, it was. The whole show was really good, but his plot was funnier.