We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 1: Air Discussion Thread

RaizenYusuke

[161]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 28
    edmasterchaos wrote:

These discussions mean that the series is good.

Here here good sir.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

shadowscott

[162]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 23
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.

i concur

ShagonsHeart

[163]Apr 28, 2012
    • level: 4

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

Same here. If it was boring it wouldn't be worth talking about.

MarcolapinMar

[164]Apr 28, 2012
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

Ohh, please, I bring the forum alive, since no ones were there when the first episode aired, give me some credits. Well, allieallie was there, but, I mean no ones else.

shadowscott

[165]Apr 28, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

Ohh, please, I bring the forum alive, since no ones were there when the first episode aired, give me some credits. Well, allieallie was there, but, I mean no ones else.

we're not giving credit to anyone. we're just saying that it's obviously not boring since we keep speculating.

ShagonsHeart

[166]Apr 28, 2012

shadowscott wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

we're not giving credit to anyone. we're just saying that it's obviously not boring since we keep speculating.

Yeah, all I meant was that we think the show is interesting.

M_AD_S

[167]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 5
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

Yeah, all I meant was that we think the show is interesting.

it sure is!

readapost

[168]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 14
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    Wow the voice in the night was good! The ending was a twist seeing Sokka, Aang and Toph as adults plus more shipping. This just goes to prove this show has not lost it's touch.

No, I think it's going to be deeper in each episodes. We never know where it's going to lead. Sure we can make speculations, but, who knows really ...
    Wise words my friend. Like I said before and will more then likely say again, we are dealing with a more mature cast.

Miista

[169]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 16

Nerdnot wrote:
    Miista wrote:
    Korra is so dumb and weak. She is becoming more annoying. When she first appeared, she was clearly talented and gifted, having already perform the art of water bending, fire bending and earth bending, as well as a strong attitude. Now she is the complete opposite. She's another Aang, but as a girl. I believe the reason Amon didn't take Korra's bending away in Episode 4 was due to the fact that he can't! If he had tried, she would have known that it was fake.
    First off, some of that was supposed to be in [ spoiler] tags. Second off, there is a different forum for you. SHE IS SO NOT AANG! You think Aang would be in Pro bending? That was up up Tophs( Hey maybe Toph stared pro bending!) alley if you ask me. The only reason she acts like Aang is because she is learning Airbending, the more she acts like Aang the closer she will be to be able to bend it!
    What forum would that be? I did not say she was Aang. You misunderstand or you take things to literally and jump to conclusions. My opinion is justified, therefore there's nothing wrong with it. She has a lot of self doubt in herself and is afraid to speak up of her fears. She avoids the problem, rather than tackling it. She has traits of Toph, but I'm also seeing traits of Aang now. At first she was a loud and aggressive character which resembled the oppositeness of the humble airbender Aang, so I believe we all believed that she was more the Toph who was an Earthbender (also the opposite element of airbending). However, Korra is now changing and becoming more irrational... I won't say Aang was irrational... but Aang was not completely rational either. She even makes silly mistakes like how she went out to see Amon on her own and was ambushed. It reminded me of the many times Aang failed in fights (once again, I'm not saying Aang failed in all fights either).
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Miista wrote:
    Korra is so dumb and weak. She is becoming more annoying. When she first appeared, she was clearly talented and gifted, having already perform the art of water bending, fire bending and earth bending, as well as a strong attitude. Now she is the complete opposite. She's another Aang, but as a girl. I believe the reason Amon didn't take Korra's bending away in Episode 4 was due to the fact that he can't! If he had tried, she would have known that it was fake.
    ....what? Okay, first off, elaborate how she's like Aang.

Second off, duh. But, Amon does have a sound logic not to take her bending away, Korra has to be a failure/villain to the world before he 'takes her bending', so... i doubt he can take bending away, but at least he makes it plausible that he can.

Firstly, I won't repeat myself, so read my post to Nerdnot. Secondly, duh.

WolfsBlackSoul wrote:

Empace wrote:
    And Korra?! Challenging him to a "duel"? I am seriously tired of her attitude right now. Other than kidnapping Bolin (who was mixed up with a very bad group at the time), what has Amon done to Korra? She needs to chill and talk to him, not go harassing people trying to learn how to defend themselves and try to solve everything with violence.

Korra challenged him to a duel because she was scared and wanted to try to prove she wasn't.

I concur, but I also have a belief Korra was pressured into dueling Amon.

Edited on 04/29/2012 4:38am
    Edited 2 total times.

Nerdnot

[170]Apr 29, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

I was sorta here wasn't I? I will have to check.

edmasterchaos

[171]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 41

Miista wrote:
    She has a lot of self doubt in herself and is afraid to speak up of her fears.

Only in this episode so far, because in the previous one she saw a kind of foe she never imagined before. Someone who was making sense while saying that her entire existence was wrong. Amon's speech probably got into her, Korra from the start left it clear that she had no plan, she had no idea what she'd do as an Avatar, so it's not that difficult to make her doubt her beliefs. A disadvantage of being an 'acting' Avatar as such a young age.

Miista wrote:
    She avoids the problem, rather than tackling it.

Only this time so far because she had no idea How to tackle it and was worried her bending would be taken away.

Miista wrote:
    She has traits of Toph, but I'm also seeing traits of Aang now. At first she was a loud and aggressive character which resembled the oppositeness of the humble airbender Aang, so I believe we all believed that she was more the Toph who was an Earthbender (also the opposite element of airbending). However, Korra is now changing and becoming more irrational...I won't say Aang was irrational... but Aang was not completely rational either. She even makes silly mistakes like how she went out to see Amon on her own and was ambushed. It reminded me of the many times Aang failed in fights (once again, I'm not saying Aang failed in all fights either).

See, there's a difference here, though. Aang had years of monk training, Toph traveled in a group with a master airbender, an experienced warrior and a motherly waterbender, she quickly learned of restraint and stuff, plus her earthbending style was all about reacting. Korra was secluded in a prisonish camp and learned aggressive (and standard) styles of water, earth and firebending. She's also a first in that she's the Avatar, unlike the previous Avatars who are people of a Nation and then the Avatar, Korra didn't grow up with the mentality of a waterbender to tackle her Avatar training when she grew up, she was just the Avatar while the world was getting their Industrial Revolution on.

As for the irrational right, again, no identity from a nation, she was completely unsure how to tackle Amon (specially since she was just learning that tackling things head-on wasn't always the answer thanks to her airbending training) and suddenly Tarrlok pushed her into the raid, a fight that earned her respect from an authority figure and the city, so that pushed her to thinking that fighting Amon was the right choice.

What fights did Aang fail again?

readapost

[172]Apr 29, 2012
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Miista wrote:

Only in this episode so far, because in the previous one she saw a kind of foe she never imagined before. Someone who was making sense while saying that her entire existence was wrong. Amon's speech probably got into her, Korra from the start left it clear that she had no plan, she had no idea what she'd do as an Avatar, so it's not that difficult to make her doubt her beliefs. A disadvantage of being an 'acting' Avatar as such a young age.

Miista wrote:

Only this time so far because she had no idea How to tackle it and was worried her bending would be taken away.

Miista wrote:
    She has traits of Toph, but I'm also seeing traits of Aang now. At first she was a loud and aggressive character which resembled the oppositeness of the humble airbender Aang, so I believe we all believed that she was more the Toph who was an Earthbender (also the opposite element of airbending). However, Korra is now changing and becoming more irrational...I won't say Aang was irrational... but Aang was not completely rational either. She even makes silly mistakes like how she went out to see Amon on her own and was ambushed. It reminded me of the many times Aang failed in fights (once again, I'm not saying Aang failed in all fights either).

See, there's a difference here, though. Aang had years of monk training, Toph traveled in a group with a master airbender, an experienced warrior and a motherly waterbender, she quickly learned of restraint and stuff, plus her earthbending style was all about reacting. Korra was secluded in a prisonish camp and learned aggressive (and standard) styles of water, earth and firebending. She's also a first in that she's the Avatar, unlike the previous Avatars who are people of a Nation and then the Avatar, Korra didn't grow up with the mentality of a waterbender to tackle her Avatar training when she grew up, she was just the Avatar while the world was getting their Industrial Revolution on.

As for the irrational right, again, no identity from a nation, she was completely unsure how to tackle Amon (specially since she was just learning that tackling things head-on wasn't always the answer thanks to her airbending training) and suddenly Tarrlok pushed her into the raid, a fight that earned her respect from an authority figure and the city, so that pushed her to thinking that fighting Amon was the right choice.

You make alot of good points, Korra is dealing with things she really doesn't understand. The only trait with Aang I can see is the smile. You really do your homework good for you.

qtwanderer

[173]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 27
    Nerdnot wrote:
    Yes you were, sorta

ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

I disagree, it just shows alot of people have been waiting to talk about this show.

pokemonmonmon

[174]Apr 29, 2012

edmasterchaos wrote:

my memory is a bit fuzzy from the original series but i can at least remember him losing the fight against azula in the season 2 finale. he also lost the fight when they first tried to ambush firelord ozai when the firebenders couldnt bend. theres also the time when aang lost appa and was stranded in a desert.

edmasterchaos

[175]Apr 29, 2012
    • level: 41

qtwanderer wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    Yes you were, sorta
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

I disagree, it just shows alot of people have been waiting to talk about this show.
    That'd be the case if we were talking about Tenzin, Lin and any other connection with the old series, yet the biggest discussion is for absolutely new stuff and what's right in the avatar world.

@Above: Well, i'd say Aang didn't lose as much as Azula plain won. Aang unlocked the avatar state, he managed to get it all together to confidently play the god card and Azula just struck at the perfect time to kill an unsuspecting Aang.
    IIRC, in that fight he managed to subdue Azula, his entire side got out-played by the fire nation and a retreat had to happen.
    He wasn't really involved in that fight, Toph just had to pick what to do.

pokemonmonmon

[176]Apr 30, 2012

edmasterchaos wrote:

qtwanderer wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    Yes you were, sorta
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

shadowscott wrote:
    RaizenYusuke wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:

Here here good sir.
    i concur

That'd be the case if we were talking about Tenzin, Lin and any other connection with the old series, yet the biggest discussion is for absolutely new stuff and what's right in the avatar world.

@Above: Well, i'd say Aang didn't lose as much as Azula plain won. Aang unlocked the avatar state, he managed to get it all together to confidently play the god card and Azula just struck at the perfect time to kill an unsuspecting Aang.
    IIRC, in that fight he managed to subdue Azula, his entire side got out-played by the fire nation and a retreat had to happen.
    He wasn't really involved in that fight, Toph just had to pick what to do.

regardless of what happened or how it happened, all is fair in love and war. azula saw an opening and she took it. not to mention she was pretty much destroying aang and katara was the one posing a real problem. thats the whole reason aang when into the avatar state in the first place; because he was losing

RaizenYusuke

[177]Apr 30, 2012
    • level: 28

It depends on what you consider a lost and what you consider a win. I count Aang getting captured by those archers as a loss. But I mean are you talking about one on one bending fights or actual combat where anything goes?

Was anyone else disturbed by how Korra was basically a prisoner while doing her training up until Tenzin? I understand wanting to keep the Avatar safe after what happened with Sozin, but keeping the Avatar disconnected from the people she is supposed to protect seems very faulty. Isn't the reason the Avatar reincarnates as a human to connect with humans and so he or she actually cares about the people they want to protect?

shadowscott

[178]Apr 30, 2012

RaizenYusuke wrote:

It depends on what you consider a lost and what you consider a win. I count Aang getting captured by those archers as a loss. But I mean are you talking about one on one bending fights or actual combat where anything goes?

Was anyone else disturbed by how Korra was basically a prisoner while doing her training up until Tenzin? I understand wanting to keep the Avatar safe after what happened with Sozin, but keeping the Avatar disconnected from the people she is supposed to protect seems very faulty. Isn't the reason the Avatar reincarnates as a human to connect with humans and so he or she actually cares about the people they want to protect?

I think they wanted to keep her safe until she mastered all the elements, then address the issue. Plus, who know's if anyone outside Republic City even KNOWS that there's a revolution going on. Maybe they didn't even think the Avatar was needed currently.

Miista

[179]May 1, 2012
    • level: 16

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Miista wrote:
    She's doing the same mistake as Aang and that's bottling it up inside herself, without speaking about it. It's only going to make her emotions escalate until one day - BOOM!
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Miista wrote:
    Your point? It was the same with Aang, except different scenario where Aang had to defeat Fire Lord Ozai to end the war, but they both are trying to restore balance in a sense (Aang had to restore balance in the world) and now Korra is just restoring the balances that still need help from the Avatar.
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Miista wrote:
    Can you show an example of where Toph learnt restraint? The only episode I can think of would be Season 3: Fire, Episode 7 - 'The Runaway', but even that's unclear as an exemplar. Lol, is there a relation to what you just said towards what I said? Your relating of ideas is unclear... can you just elaborate, thanks?
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Her identity from a nation is irrelevant to the problem. Unlike Aang who had his race wiped out, Korra still has hers and it's not a thought that effects her since it's not a problem that relates to the twist of the story. Does that make sense? Moreover, I'm really unsure what you're arguing about? Are you just reiterating things that I know of and seen or are you trying to prove a point, because... I don't see yours? You haven't really made one? I don't really see a disagreement with what I've said, only unclear and uncertain statements.
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Have you not seen Avatar: The Last Airbender? Because if you have, then try not to act oblivious to the fights Aang has failed at. Oddly enough you're able to recall upon what you've stated above, but not the failed fights? I'll give you a clue to a really obvious one - he got shot by lightning to his back.

Edited on 05/01/2012 7:13am

shadowscott

[180]May 1, 2012
    Oh c'mon Miista, don't be mean to people now.