We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 1: Air Discussion Thread

qtwanderer

[301]May 18, 2012
    • level: 27
    UnovaChampion wrote:
    3. Again, Korra isn't spiritual, nor has she had any reason to be pissed beyond all reasoning or even in severely grave danger.

5. The White Lotus and Katara helped Korra master her elements, since she had the physical side of bending nailed at such a young age, she was able to waterbend, firebend, and earthbend already. Tenzin's the only air master in existence and Korra's opposite type of bending is air so that's the one challenging her.

3. I don't think you have to be spiritual to enter the Avatar State, but you are right, she has yet to become enraged or distraught yet. And she isn't exactly intuned to meditating.

5. I think Fire would be her opposite, Earth and Air no mix, just like Water and Fire. The symbolism of their bending source are the Sun and Moon.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nerdnot

[302]May 19, 2012
    • level: 14
    qtwanderer wrote:
    UnovaChampion wrote:
    3. Again, Korra isn't spiritual, nor has she had any reason to be pissed beyond all reasoning or even in severely grave danger.

5. The White Lotus and Katara helped Korra master her elements, since she had the physical side of bending nailed at such a young age, she was able to waterbend, firebend, and earthbend already. Tenzin's the only air master in existence and Korra's opposite type of bending is air so that's the one challenging her.

5. I think Fire would be her opposite, Earth and Air no mix, just like Water and Fire. The symbolism of their bending source are the Sun and Moon.
    It's personalty not bending

qtwanderer

[303]May 19, 2012
    Korra's personality doesn't seem like a waterbender, it seems more like an earthbender. Then again, not many waterbenders to go off of in personality besides what, like 5 that we have seen..
    ^ Is this what you meant btw?

RaizenYusuke

[304]May 19, 2012
    • level: 28
    I don't get the Avatar state. Roku said it was supposed to be a defense mechanism, but Aang and Korra have been life threatening situations without it activating. It seems more like an emotional reaction than defense mechanism to me. Korra's personality being more like an earth bender probably because she was raised as the Avatar. All the previous ones were raised as normal people of their respective nations for the first 16 years of their lives. Roku was raised as a fire bender so his personality more like a fire bending which is the opposite of water bending teachings, so it was his most difficult element. Korra wasn't raised as a water bender so it her personality was never influenced by the Water Tribe traditions, so fire was not challenging for her. Her personality happens to go against air bending principles so her most difficult is air.

Nerdnot

[305]May 19, 2012
    qtwanderer wrote:
    Korra's personality doesn't seem like a waterbender, it seems more like an earthbender. Then again, not many waterbenders to go off of in personality besides what, like 5 that we have seen..
    ^ Is this what you meant btw?
    Yes, sorry i should have explained it better

AllieAllie

[306]May 19, 2012
    • level: 22

RaizenYusuke wrote:
    I don't get the Avatar state. Roku said it was supposed to be a defense mechanism, but Aang and Korra have been life threatening situations without it activating. It seems more like an emotional reaction than defense mechanism to me. Korra's personality being more like an earth bender probably because she was raised as the Avatar. All the previous ones were raised as normal people of their respective nations for the first 16 years of their lives. Roku was raised as a fire bender so his personality more like a fire bending which is the opposite of water bending teachings, so it was his most difficult element. Korra wasn't raised as a water bender so it her personality was never influenced by the Water Tribe traditions, so fire was not challenging for her. Her personality happens to go against air bending principles so her most difficult is air.

Aang first went into the Avatar State when he found out that all the airbenders were killed in the war, so yeah it seems to be more of an emotional reaction. Maybe something really terrible will happen this season that triggers Korra's Avatar State.

Alexcinco27

[307]May 19, 2012
    • level: 1
    Actually the first time when Aang went into the Avatar state was when he was escaping from Zuko's ship after Aang had surrendered to him so that Zuko would not destroy the southern water tribe so when Aang fell into the water after escaping the ship was when it happened and thats when Sokka said "Now that was some water bending!"

Nerdnot

[308]May 19, 2012
    Alexcinco27 wrote:
    Actually the first time when Aang went into the Avatar state was when he was escaping from Zuko's ship after Aang had surrendered to him so that Zuko would not destroy the southern water tribe so when Aang fell into the water after escaping the ship was when it happened and thats when Sokka said "Now that was some water bending!"
    That was the first time we saw he used the Avatar State, the first time we saw him in it was when he was coming out of the iceburg.

RaizenYusuke

[309]May 19, 2012
    • level: 28

That episode makes me more confused. Aang was in danger of drowning so the Avatar State activated to keep him safe. He wasn't extremely angry or sad. It wasn't an emotional reaction, but like an actual defense mechanism like Roku said. There have been other times where his life could be in danger, but it did not activate. Last week hen Korra tried to use water to reach Amon's airship and there wasn't enough so she fell. That was a life threatening fall, so shouldn't the State have activated in that instance to keep her alive long before Lin saved her?

qtwanderer

[310]May 19, 2012
    Its both a defense mechanism and can be emotionally activated...thats all I know so why Korra didn't go into it, is a mystery. But my guess is she didn't think she was in enough danger.

Alexcinco27

[311]May 20, 2012
    • level: 1

Hi I know I'm new but I I've been reading these threads since the new series started and I just had a thought what if Mr.Sato is our character with the moral problems? Because if you think about it this powerful guy just lost his huge company and most important he lost his daughter. You would think since she is all he has that he would want to keep her on his side and since he felt so strongly about losing hi wife to the benders that he would feel the same way towards the equalist for making his daughter choose sides against him. So in order to regain his HONOR he will betray Amon and help the benders by showing them how defeat his robots since he created them and knows them inside and out and ultimately regaining his HONOR and also regaining his company and his daughters trust and the cities trust. Just a thought.

shadowscott

[312]May 20, 2012
    • level: 23
    So just a theory about what Amon plans to do with Korra, in regards to taking her bending "at the perfect time".

So if the Avatar dies in the Avatar state, no more Avatar right? If an Avatar gets his or her bending taken away in the Avatar State, no more bending for the Avatar? Essentially the same idea?

Could this be the "opportune time" that Amon is talking about? Or just once he's taking everyone else's bending that's important to the storyline?

qtwanderer

[313]May 20, 2012
    That would be clever but I'm not sure it would work. It would just take away the current and past Avatars' ability to bend, but not the next one as they still would have bending. And what I mean by past Avatars' abilities is the extra engergy that a avatar gets while in the avatar-state, that would be gone. So an avatar state with no super chi but only the knowledge portion.
    So it would be like pushing the Nas button on your nova and still going 60 mph. Good analogy but something tells me few would understand it.

shadowscott

[314]May 21, 2012
    qtwanderer wrote:
    That would be clever but I'm not sure it would work. It would just take away the current and past Avatars' ability to bend, but not the next one as they still would have bending. And what I mean by past Avatars' abilities is the extra engergy that a avatar gets while in the avatar-state, that would be gone. So an avatar state with no super chi but only the knowledge portion.
    So it would be like pushing the Nas button on your nova and still going 60 mph. Good analogy but something tells me few would understand it.

Why wouldn't it work? If the Avatar dies in the A.S., no more avatar. So if his or her bending gets taken away in the A.S., then why not no more bending for Avatars?

readapost

[315]May 21, 2012
    shadowscott wrote:
    So just a theory about what Amon plans to do with Korra, in regards to taking her bending "at the perfect time".

So if the Avatar dies in the Avatar state, no more Avatar right? If an Avatar gets his or her bending taken away in the Avatar State, no more bending for the Avatar? Essentially the same idea?

Could this be the "opportune time" that Amon is talking about? Or just once he's taking everyone else's bending that's important to the storyline?
    Wouldn't he have to know someone who knows that? Because the only one to know that would Azula.

DiamondLights

[316]May 21, 2012
    • level: 8
    readapost wrote:
    shadowscott wrote:

Wouldn't he have to know someone who knows that? Because the only one to know that would Azula.

We have no idea who Amon knows

qtwanderer

[317]May 21, 2012
    readapost wrote:
    shadowscott wrote:

I don't think Azula even knows that does she? I mean she only knows she "killed" Aang but not the whole Avatar State thing, Roku told us that part.

qtwanderer

[318]May 21, 2012
    shadowscott wrote:
    Why wouldn't it work? If the Avatar dies in the A.S., no more avatar. So if his or her bending gets taken away in the A.S., then why not no more bending for Avatars?
    When an Avatar dies in the "AS" there are no more Avatars after that death because their link between the world and spirit world is permanently severed. The person killed the line connecting the avatars reincarnation to the world. Bending is different though, each Avatar has their own chi (bending ability) when they are born again. Korra demonstrated this when she used earth, fire and waterbending at whatever-age she was, while Aang and Roku did not. This is also evident by the AS, its supposed to get stronger because the past avatar put in their own chi and knowledge into a reserve for the current avatar to use in emergencies. Thats why I said if that does happen the only thing to go would be the avatars chi and that reserve, as the only way to access that reserve would be through the AS. To sum it up each avatar has their own bending power. Then again, what do I know...this is all ifs and maybes...

readapost

[319]May 21, 2012
    qtwanderer wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    shadowscott wrote:

I don't think Azula even knows that does she? I mean she only knows she "killed" Aang but not the whole Avatar State thing, Roku told us that part.

It's just a theory I'm very open-minded.

shadowscott

[320]May 22, 2012
    readapost wrote:
    qtwanderer wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    shadowscott wrote:

It's just a theory I'm very open-minded.

Haha, exactly. It's just a theory. I mean, the most opportune time could just be in front of the whole city when everyone else has already lost their beinding/switched sides, but it could also be what I said.