We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

QUESTION/ANSWER THREAD. FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS updated 22/7/08

blueslayzler

[4081]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 3
    I have an interesting question. How is it that the Fire Nation (without the Avatar's help that is) nearly beat the Earth Kingdom when, the Earth Kingdom is HUGE, and Basing Se is like 20 times bigger than any city in the Avatar world, and the population in the Fire Nation seemed so small compared to the Earth Kingdom.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

KikitheFiend

[4082]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 14
    blueslayzler wrote:
    I have an interesting question. How is it that the Fire Nation (without the Avatar's help that is) nearly beat the Earth Kingdom when, the Earth Kingdom is HUGE, and Basing Se is like 20 times bigger than any city in the Avatar world, and the population in the Fire Nation seemed so small compared to the Earth Kingdom.
    The Fire Nation have superior technology to the Earth Kingdom. A technological advantage can make up for inferior numbers. The Earth Kingdom has to spread their forces over a wider front. The Fire Nation also have an extremely powerful navy.

We also don't know how densely populated the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom is. The size of the land does not necessarily mean that it is more populous. for example, Australia has a population of roughly 21 million and the UK has a population of 60 million.

MarryLarry

[4083]Jun 15, 2009
    • level: 11

KikitheFiend wrote:
    blueslayzler wrote:
    The Fire Nation have superior technology to the Earth Kingdom. A technological advantage can make up for inferior numbers. The Earth Kingdom has to spread their forces over a wider front. The Fire Nation also have an extremely powerful navy. We also don't know how densely populated the Fire Nation and Earth Kingdom is. The size of the land does not necessarily mean that it is more populous. for example, Australia has a population of roughly 21 million and the UK has a population of 60 million.

Another possible reason is that the Earth Kingdom doesn't have a strong central government and appears to have a feudal system in place with the fiefdoms largely independent of one another. This would result in inferior military coordination between the fiefdoms compared to the strong central leadership of the Fire Nation having direct control over their entire military force.

Plus I'm sure Sozin's Comet also helped them establish a strong foothold on the eastern coast of the Earth Kingdom at the start of the war.

EDIT: An example of a real life comparison are the Sino-Japanese Wars. In both wars, Japan (Fire Nation) pretty much decimated China (Earth Kingdom) because of the same reasons Kiki and I listed.

Edited on 06/15/2009 5:50pm

Water78

[4084]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 47

I have two questions:

First what is the age difference between Iroh and Ozai?

And where is Omashu on this map?

KoukenLumen

[4085]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 1
    I don't know the first question, but Omashu is at the bottom of the Earth Kingdom Territory. (Not the Islands)

Jackson5050

[4086]Jul 14, 2009
    • level: 12
    Water78 wrote:
    I have two questions:

First what is the age difference between Iroh and Ozai?

And where is Omashu on this map?

Your map did not show on my browser, so I am providing a map that places Omashu for you. It is located to the immediate west of the Si Wong Desert. The difference between Iroh and Ozai is 21 years. Iroh is 64 years old, and Ozai is 43 years old.

AllieAllie

[4087]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 22
    Interesting, I didn't know Ozai and Iroh's ages before. How did you find that out?

MarryLarry

[4088]Jul 15, 2009
    • level: 11
    The brothers' ages are never officially revealed. That's fan guestimation.

srebak

[4089]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 18

As i've noticed you all asking at some points "Who will teach the next Avatar airbending?" Well i had a theory, if Aang can access the spirit world, i'm guessing other Avatars have the same power. So maybe the next Avatar can go to the spirit world and find an airbending spirit to teach them. Maybe, dare i say it? this might be the way the Air Nomads can be reborn.

Jackson5050

[4090]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 12
    AllieAllie wrote:
    Interesting, I didn't know Ozai and Iroh's ages before. How did you find that out?
    Ozai's and Iroh's ages were calculated by using certain significant events as benchmarks. For example, the length of Azulon's reign is one such benchmark. That information was gleaned from interviews, books, and other canonical sources. They may not be precise, but they are approximate.
    Edited on 07/17/2009 9:34am

gilvatar

[4091]Jul 17, 2009
    • level: 17
    srebak wrote:

As i've noticed you all asking at some points "Who will teach the next Avatar airbending?" Well i had a theory, if Aang can access the spirit world, i'm guessing other Avatars have the same power. So maybe the next Avatar can go to the spirit world and find an airbending spirit to teach them. Maybe, dare i say it? this might be the way the Air Nomads can be reborn.

why does everyone forget that by then Aang will have kids and maybe grandkids? Like airbender grandkids...

JadeBlosssom

[4092]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 4
    gilvatar wrote:
    srebak wrote:

why does everyone forget that by then Aang will have kids and maybe grandkids? Like airbender grandkids...
    Because he hasn't properly hit puberty yet?

gilvatar

[4093]Jul 18, 2009
    • level: 17
    JadeBlosssom wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    srebak wrote:

Because he hasn't properly hit puberty yet?
    yeah but by the time the next avatar rolls around he'll be old & dead.

Water78

[4094]Jul 19, 2009
    how many easter eggs do you know of in the show

ChocolateMilk81

[4095]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 10
    What is the episode when we first see Toph, I wanna watch it? xx

Full-of-Fire

[4096]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 2
    Technically, The Swamp was the first episode where we first saw Toph, but it was just an illusion. The first episode I believe you're looking for is The Blind Bandit where they officially meet Toph and she joins the Gaang.

KikitheFiend

[4097]Jul 28, 2009
    • level: 14
    ChocolateMilk81 wrote:
    Full-of-Fire wrote:
    Technically, The Swamp was the first episode where we first saw Toph, but it was just an illusion. The first episode I believe you're looking for is The Blind Bandit where they officially meet Toph and she joins the Gaang.
    ^this

those are episodes 4 and 6 of Book 2

Water78

[4098]Jul 28, 2009
    KikitheFiend wrote:
    ChocolateMilk81 wrote:
    Full-of-Fire wrote:
    ^this

those are episodes 4 and 6 of Book 2

Bumi describes her in the third episode of book 2.

Maylene

[4099]Jul 29, 2009
    • level: 13
    gilvatar wrote:
    srebak wrote:

I always thought that Aang would be the last Avatar. Sure, he would have kids that probably could airbend--but the fact that the Air Nomads, their culture and "countries" are extinct makes the Avatar Universe unbalance. Aren't the four elements needed--as well as their "nation" that represents them--need to be present in the world for the Avatar to be reborn?

Oh and I heard that Mike and Bryan were at Comic Con this year...and they were going to be signing posters. Does anyone know where I can find the posters? I'd like to know what they look like.

And who's excited for the manga adaptation of the movie--and a prequel? According to Lastairbenderfans.com, there's going to be one.

Water78

[4100]Jul 29, 2009
    Maylene wrote:
    gilvatar wrote:
    srebak wrote:

I always thought that Aang would be the last Avatar. Sure, he would have kids that probably could airbend--but the fact that the Air Nomads, their culture and "countries" are extinct makes the Avatar Universe unbalance. Aren't the four elements needed--as well as their "nation" that represents them--need to be present in the world for the Avatar to be reborn?

Oh and I heard that Mike and Bryan were at Comic Con this year...and they were going to be signing posters. Does anyone know where I can find the posters? I'd like to know what they look like.

And who's excited for the manga adaptation of the movie--and a prequel? According to Lastairbenderfans.com, there's going to be one.

My idea for prequels would be they make three movies before the events in book 1. The first movie is about kyoshi the second about Ruko and the third is about the start of the war leading up to the events in book 1. Like the genocide and the other attacks on the other nations.