We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Official Avatar Historical Comparisons Thread

isabelwhatx

[161]Aug 16, 2008
    • level: 14
    Axrendale wrote:

isabelwhatx wrote:
    I know. I was so thankful. But, anyway, maybe check on the History channel's official website for the next airing time. I've got it! Here it is.

Thanks, I may actually watch it again.

LMAO. Oh, God. Haven't you already memorized it?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Axrendale

[162]Aug 17, 2008
    • level: 10
    Actually, the first time I saw the show I missed the first few minutes. The second time round I managed to get there in time for the start, but was dragged away temporarily to do something for about 15 minutes halfway through, and again at the end. I have yet to sit down and watch the whole thing begining to end.

Death_Bro

[163]Aug 17, 2008

I think I know a lot about The Ottoman-Byzantine history, so I think you guys are being too general with your camparions. True, Byzantium did survive almost 1000 years after the fall of Rome, it only reconquered SOME of Rome's previous territory in the later part of its history, and soon afterwards spiraled into an age of' un-prosperity' mainly because Justinian wasn't really that great.....

Also, on Avatar, Constantinople didn't truly fall due to betrayl, but by stretching the Byzantine army too thin to be useful enough to withstand Mehmed's briilliant leadership. When it was conquered, it had a population of only about 1000. The city just got crippled, not really betrayed. Constantinople fell, and Byzatium was no more. I really don't see too much Ba Singe Sei.

I'm not a history geek I just know a lot. I may be wrong, like I was when you began comparing Azula to Qin Shi Haung, but you were right there. The biggest comparison I can think of right now is Aang being Boudica, who rose up against the injustice she recieved, and almost defeated the 'wicked' Romans. Just take away the following suicide and replace it with the Fall of Rome....

Also Persia and Greece could be the Fire Nation and Water tribe, Fire Nation should have won almost every single time, but are repelled almost all the time.

Finally, a far-etched one but the Cave of two Lovers= Isabella and Ferdinand

libraman_92

[164]Aug 17, 2008
    Axrendale wrote:
    Actually, the first time I saw the show I missed the first few minutes. The second time round I managed to get there in time for the start, but was dragged away temporarily to do something for about 15 minutes halfway through, and again at the end. I have yet to sit down and watch the whole thing begining to end.

lol

isabelwhatx

[165]Aug 17, 2008
    Death_Bro wrote:

I think I know a lot about The Ottoman-Byzantine history, so I think you guys are being too general with your camparions. True, Byzantium did survive almost 1000 years after the fall of Rome, it only reconquered SOME of Rome's previous territory in the later part of its history, and soon afterwards spiraled into an age of' un-prosperity' mainly because Justinian wasn't really that great.....

Also, on Avatar, Constantinople didn't truly fall due to betrayl, but by stretching the Byzantine army too thin to be useful enough to withstand Mehmed's briilliant leadership. When it was conquered, it had a population of only about 1000. The city just got crippled, not really betrayed. Constantinople fell, and Byzatium was no more. I really don't see too much Ba Singe Sei.

I'm not a history geek I just know a lot. I may be wrong, like I was when you began comparing Azula to Qin Shi Haung, but you were right there. The biggest comparison I can think of right now is Aang being Boudica, who rose up against the injustice she recieved, and almost defeated the 'wicked' Romans. Just take away the following suicide and replace it with the Fall of Rome....

Also Persia and Greece could be the Fire Nation and Water tribe, Fire Nation should have won almost every single time, but are repelled almost all the time.

Finally, a far-etched one but the Cave of two Lovers= Isabella and Ferdinand

You're right about the Constantinople comparison, but you've got to realize we're only loosely comparing these things. We're taking any sort of connections we can and exposing them. But that's interesting about Boudica. Know any more about him/her?

Axrendale

[166]Aug 17, 2008
    Death_Bro wrote:

Actually, Justinian was a very good ruler. The reason that the empire soon declined was because it was hit by "Justinian's Plague", as the name suggests, a forerunner of the Black Death that ravaged the Empire. even so, it was able to hold onto much of Rome's former coastal territories for some time, and would experience several periods of prosperity before it fell.

You are correct that some of the comparisons we've come up with are very loose, but if we were only including water-tight comparisons like Azula/Shi Huang Di, this thread would only be a couple of pages long.

Jackson5050

[168]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 12
    Death_Bro wrote:

I also know a lot about Byzantine history, and I am going to contest some of what you said. The population of Constantinople was not aprroximately 1,000. The military force alone consisted of approximately 7,000 men--true, some of them were foreigners, but the majority were citizens. Also, it was not so much Mehmed's brilliant leadership, but Mehmed's overwhelming numerical advantage in regards to military force. Conservative estimates place the Ottoman force consisting of approximately 80,000 soldiers and 5,000 Janissaries.

The only move of Mehmed's that may be considered brilliant is the plan that was devised to circumvent the boom which blocked access to the Golden Horn. I would also contend that the death of the popular Genoese general, Giustiniani, had a marked effect on the battle. It is true that Constantinople did not fall because of treachery. It did, however, fall because the Kerkoporta gate was unintentionally left unlocked. It was overlooked by the Byzantines because debris from the cannon attack had obscured the door.

IrohtheTea

[169]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 6

wait..

didnt constantinople get attacked by the crusaders at 4th or 5th Crusade?

Jackson5050

[170]Aug 19, 2008
    • level: 12
    IrohtheTea wrote:

wait..

didnt constantinople get attacked by the crusaders at 4th or 5th Crusade?

You are correct. The crusaders of the 4th Crusade infamously sacked Constantinople. Their actions were actually condemned by the Church in Rome, but they had their sights set on the riches of the Byzantines. The crusaders broke through the chain that blocked access to the Golden Horn and the walls were soon breached. The Greeks finally wrested Constantinople from the Latins under the command of Michael the VIII. Unfortunately, the damage had already been done and the Crusade left an indelible mark on Constantinople

CoolioVonJulio

[171]Aug 20, 2008
    • level: 4

the real reason Byzantium declined was because the muslims conquered all save Constantinople itself. Soon Constantinople became a tributary of the ottomans, until finally Mehmet sought to finish it all of.

has abybody seen the comparison with the seige of the north and the battle of britain, with massive amoutns of planes/ships attacked the northern water tribe/britain

CoolioVonJulio

[172]Aug 20, 2008
    also the ottomans attacked constantinople twice, the first time the almost took the city but the pope called on a crusade to stop the ottomans, the french responded and broke the seige.

CoolioVonJulio

[173]Aug 20, 2008
    isabella and ferdinand? that one doesnt really make sense. isabella and ferdinand were part of two different kingdoms and the marriage of the two unified them into one. as far as i can remember aang was no king and katara no queen. and there werent any turbaned moors in avatar

CoolioVonJulio

[174]Aug 20, 2008
    wow, im a real post whore

isabelwhatx

[175]Aug 21, 2008
    Does anyone know a historical figure that relates to Zuko? Or is he one of a kind?

SalKing2

[176]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 37

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Does anyone know a historical figure that relates to Zuko? Or is he one of a kind?

Well, I guess William Patrick Hitler is a close one. He fought against his uncle Adolf in the war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Patrick_Hitler

isabelwhatx

[177]Aug 21, 2008
    That makes sense. I'll read up on it more in depth later. My cousin's here and he gets bored by these things

SalKing2

[178]Aug 21, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    That makes sense. I'll read up on it more in depth later. My cousin's here and he gets bored by these things

Is he not an Avatar fan?

isabelwhatx

[179]Aug 21, 2008
    Oh, he is. But then there's the fact he's 4...

SalKing2

[180]Aug 21, 2008

isabelwhatx wrote:
    Oh, he is. But then there's the fact he's 4...

Is he a cute baby? Or is he one of those children that lick their fingers or drool over you? I hate that