We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

superSokka

[161]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 7
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:
    hm, i think this quote from MJ's famous song is relevant: "It doesn't matter if your black or white or asian"
    ok, i added that last part it, but i think you guys get the picture.

Most important thing for me would be thier acting ability, and apperance would come 2nd.

Also if I may add, I beleive the movies will be "based" on the cartoon, and so Shaymalan might not even opt for "similiar-looking" actors, his most important factor may be thier acting ability. Shaymalan has the most control over the movie, and he can change it around as much as he wants.
    Thats scary.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

esquisofrenic

[162]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    superSokka wrote:
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:
    hm, i think this quote from MJ's famous song is relevant: "It doesn't matter if your black or white or asian"

Most important thing for me would be thier acting ability, and apperance would come 2nd.

Also if I may add, I beleive the movies will be "based" on the cartoon, and so Shaymalan might not even opt for "similiar-looking" actors, his most important factor may be thier acting ability. Shaymalan has the most control over the movie, and he can change it around as much as he wants.
    Thats scary.
    WHAAAT arre you sure about that

_Nalesnik_

[163]Feb 13, 2008
    • level: 12
    esquisofrenic wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:

Thats scary.

well Shamylan is the writer, director, and producer for the movie, so yea, he has the power to do that. There's nothing stopping him from deviating from the original series. Many movies based of off tv shows, books etc do that.

Nickylucas

[164]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:
    esquisofrenic wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    _Nalesnik_ wrote:
    hm, i think this quote from MJ's famous song is relevant: "It doesn't matter if your black or white or asian" ok, i added that last part it, but i think you guys get the picture. Most important thing for me would be thier acting ability, and apperance would come 2nd. Also if I may add, I beleive the movies will be "based" on the cartoon, and so Shaymalan might not even opt for "similiar-looking" actors, his most important factor may be thier acting ability. Shaymalan has the most control over the movie, and he can change it around as much as he wants.
    Thats scary.
    well Shamylan is the writer, director, and producer for the movie, so yea, he has the power to do that. There's nothing stopping him from deviating from the original series. Many movies based of off tv shows, books etc do that.
    Yeah, but you guys have forgotten, the creators trust Shamylan. As far as I know Mike and Bryan are involved with the trilogy! Just because Shamylan ruined "Lady in the Water" doesn't mean he'll ruin Avatar! Remember, his whole family is a bunch of fans! I don't think he'll let his own daughter down. And aslo, heres another question I have: Why don't they use the origonal voices in the SHOW to act in the movie? Don't you feel that would be better?

louzer900

[165]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 7
    anyone ever think Night will make the movie take place AFTER the show? like right after whee the show left off?

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[166]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 4

i think if they used the original voices form the cartoon that would make it look like the kung fu movies back in the day! they should use actors that look like the cartoon character either if they are white or asain. r there any black people in AVATAR??

i hope the live action movies should take place after book3 fire, bc then they can show aang and them as grown adults and it can get more grusom and itll show how he will die then at the end of the 3rd movie they can show a new avatar being born which can lead to another season of cartoons for avatar!!

Psyche987

[167]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 8
    avrurakinninami wrote:

WHAT !?!?!?! this is **** ! Its gonna be the worst movie ever made, sincerly, they should take americans in an asian world instead, its gonna be a real crap, worst than the power rangers. Why they are so stupid, they made a great cartoon, but they are going to blow the franchise with that ****.

Even the japanese take americans models for their characters in videogames.

I think the opposite of you lol.

SaccharineWrath

[168]Feb 14, 2008
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Spike815 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

WHAT !?!?!?! this is **** ! Its gonna be the worst movie ever made, sincerly, they should take americans in an asian world instead, its gonna be a real crap, worst than the power rangers. Why they are so stupid, they made a great cartoon, but they are going to blow the franchise with that ****.

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one. I love that they are using an asian actor to portray a character that lives in a world that is based on asian culture. It makes perfect sense that they would do that. And what's so wrong with using an all Asian cast??? I just can't understand why so many are against the idea. There are plenty of great actors who are of Asian decent. Besides, there are a lot of movies that call for a certain ethinc appearance for a character. And there are even more strict standards when one is adapting a tv show into a movie. You pretty much have your characters appearance choosen for you, and its just a matter of finding a match that is as close as possible and has the talent. Personally, being african-american I get a little tired of seeing television and movies dominated by one type of ethinc or racial group. A little more vairety is ALWAYS a welcome change for me may it black, asian, or latino. I have complete faith that Mike and Bryan know who they want for their movie. And if Jonathan Nguyen takes the role, than more power to him, and I will be cheering him on all the way!
    Who said anything about it being all white people? I'm a white guy, and I love watching movies with and without white people in it. Matter a fact, I think it should be a combination of all types of people in the movie. If they did make it all Asians I can't say I would be tremendously bothered by it, but I think I would prefer a variety. It's just that when a lot of people look at the pic provided of Nguyen they don't see Aang. It's that way for me anyway.
    Ok, what isn't making any sense to me is why there should be a variety of ethnicities in a movie that is based on asian culture with characters that look asian? Why? Someone explain to me why they think there should be a variety of ethnicities aside from various asian groups in this movie. Please? I just don't undrestand.
    But, they dont have the same voice, plus its so stigmatized, its like taking a asian cast for resident evil, silent hill, or the grudge, the ring, etc... The americans made their own version, why this time they are going with this idea ?! Its going to be the DOA on the screen, Death Of Animation. Because this movie suck hard !
    All of the movies you named did well...
    Of course, because they took an american cast, wich is not the case with avatar. BTW, Dead or alive was terrible, worst than Mortal kombat can be.

See, that right there is a problem for me. In so many ways your saying that unless that take an american cast - and by american I am going to take a leap and say you mean white american - then the movie has a slim chance of doing well. There is a such thing as Asian-American, do they count too as candidates for the movie roles? Because I get the distinct feeling that when you say american you think only White Americans. There are African-Americans (me), Mexican-Americans (Leonmorado), Japanese-Americans, Chinese-Americans, Vietnamese-Americans... you see the pattern, right? I just don't see why or how choosing to use an Asian cast can hurt the chances of this movie doing well? Especially, since it is a movie based on Asian cultures and themes. Furthermore, a lot of the characters have Asian features, Zuko and Mai definitely look East Asian to me. Katara, Sokka, and Hakoda come of as Native American, Jonathan Nyguen is a close match to Aang and he is Vietnamese. So, I don't understand why someone one would think that the movie will fail because of the choice to use people of Asian ancestry. Is it because you don't think the public will take interest unless there is a variety of ethnicities? Is that it?

As for those movies you mentioned. I get why they choose the people the did for those movies. The Grudge and The rRng were in fact American remakes of Japanese movies, so they chose American actors. This on the other hand is different. This is an American cartoon, based on Asian culture, themes, and appearances. Thus, it would follow that they would stick to the Asian theme and go with actors of Asian ancestry.

LeonMorado

[169]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 19
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    superSokka wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

I would have to wholeheartedly disagree on that one. I love that they are using an asian actor to portray a character that lives in a world that is based on asian culture. It makes perfect sense that they would do that.

And what's so wrong with using an all Asian cast??? I just can't understand why so many are against the idea. There are plenty of great actors who are of Asian decent. Besides, there are a lot of movies that call for a certain ethinc appearance for a character. And there are even more strict standards when one is adapting a tv show into a movie. You pretty much have your characters appearance choosen for you, and its just a matter of finding a match that is as close as possible and has the talent.

Personally, being african-american I get a little tired of seeing television and movies dominated by one type of ethinc or racial group. A little more vairety is ALWAYS a welcome change for me may it black, asian, or latino.

I have complete faith that Mike and Bryan know who they want for their movie. And if Jonathan Nguyen takes the role, than more power to him, and I will be cheering him on all the way!
    Who said anything about it being all white people? I'm a white guy, and I love watching movies with and without white people in it. Matter a fact, I think it should be a combination of all types of people in the movie. If they did make it all Asians I can't say I would be tremendously bothered by it, but I think I would prefer a variety. It's just that when a lot of people look at the pic provided of Nguyen they don't see Aang. It's that way for me anyway.

Ok, what isn't making any sense to me is why there should be a variety of ethnicities in a movie that is based on asian culture with characters that look asian? Why? Someone explain to me why they think there should be a variety of ethnicities aside from various asian groups in this movie. Please? I just don't undrestand.

But, they dont have the same voice, plus its so stigmatized, its like taking a asian cast for resident evil, silent hill, or the grudge, the ring, etc... The americans made their own version, why this time they are going with this idea ?!

Its going to be the DOA on the screen, Death Of Animation. Because this movie suck hard !
    the problem with that is that none of those are based on asian culture. resident evil and silent hill are both set in midwestern american towns, the ring could be completely relocated because the story had nothing to do with the culture of its setting.

the grudge is the only example in which some aspect of japanese culture is present, that being the japanese ghost imagery which was absolutely essential to maintain the integrity of the ghost character. that is why it was set in japan, and frankly, the worst thing about that movie was that they went with buffy for the lead. to be honest it it cheapened the whole thing.

LeonMorado

[170]Feb 14, 2008
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    stuff
    you beat me to it.

SaccharineWrath

[171]Feb 14, 2008

LeonMorado wrote:
    SaccharineWrath wrote:
    stuff
    you beat me to it.

LOL.... I wrote stuff... LOL. Anyway, you made my point much more clear. Thanks, love.

tomtitan

[172]Feb 14, 2008
    avrurakinninami wrote:

you've seen the movie? where? how?
    what's that? you didn't see the movie? you haven't even seen trailers? then stop making assumptions, wait until you have something to base your assumptions on.

and i really don't see the problem with the whole race thing, i don't think they need to look like the characters, remember, the characters are cartoons, drawings, it's going to be hard to find people that look like them.
    as long as they can act and do a certain amount of martial arts i really wouldn't care if they cast asians, caucasians or even african americans to play the roles.

SaccharineWrath

[173]Feb 14, 2008
    tomtitan wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

you've seen the movie? where? how?
    what's that? you didn't see the movie? you haven't even seen trailers? then stop making assumptions, wait until you have something to base your assumptions on.

and i really don't see the problem with the whole race thing, i don't think they need to look like the characters, remember, the characters are cartoons, drawings, it's going to be hard to find people that look like them.
    as long as they can act and do a certain amount of martial arts i really wouldn't care if they cast asians, caucasians or even african americans to play the roles.

Martial arts... now there's something I forgot. I suppose if the bending techniques are based on martial arts than that would be a necessary skill to have. Though I suppose they could also be trained in the necessary movements for the movie as well.

There is so much to consider for this movie. I am really excited about it! I wish there was a date, even an approximate one, this is just too exciting!

avrurakinninami

[174]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 21
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

Lets take it from the beginning, making a movie of avatar, is a BAD IDEA (period). Its like making a DBz movie, a mario bros movie, a sonic movie, etc.. Unless, yes unless, it can be extremly near the reality, I talk about making the details less cliche, less caricatured and I dont think its gonna happen, because the audience is for child. So, I predict a Power Rangers movie, mixed with the four elements.

SaccharineWrath

[175]Feb 14, 2008
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

Lets take it from the beginning, making a movie of avatar, is a BAD IDEA (period). Its like making a DBz movie, a mario bros movie, a sonic movie, etc.. Unless, yes unless, it can be extremly near the reality, I talk about making the details less cliche, less caricatured and I dont think its gonna happen, because the audience is for child. So, I predict a Power Rangers movie, mixed with the four elements.

That's such a depressing outlook. And that's coming from someone who specializes in being pessimistic. I loved the Mario Bros. Movie when I was kid. I would totally get a kick out of a Sonic movie. And there is supposed to be a DBZ movie and I am totally hyped for it. I think the Avatar movie is a cool and fun idea. And I like Shaymalan's movies, so I am happy he is involved int he project. I'm not saying love the idea of the movie. And you can still think its a bad idea if you want, but try giving it a chance.

LeonMorado

[176]Feb 14, 2008
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

actually, no that you mention it, there is a dragonball movie in production scheduled to start in august. james masters is piccolo and chow yun fat is master roshi. and there was a mario bros. movie. it was campy and weird, but it's a cult classic at this point.

lots of movie adaptations turn out great. batman, spider-man, transformers, x-men, just to name a few. srsly, you're still just jumping to all these groundless conclusions about what the movie's gonna be like based on absolutely nothing. your prediction has no basis whatsoever. you could at least wait until they actually start doing something before you start you shooting them down for it.

momothelemur

[177]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 13
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

actually, no that you mention it, there is a dragonball movie in production scheduled to start in august. james masters is piccolo and chow yun fat is master roshi. and there was a mario bros. movie. it was campy and weird, but it's a cult classic at this point. lots of movie adaptations turn out great. batman, spider-man, transformers, x-men, just to name a few. srsly, you're still just jumping to all these groundless conclusions about what the movie's gonna be like based on absolutely nothing. your prediction has no basis whatsoever. you could at least wait until they actually start doing something before you start you shooting them down for it.

James Marsters is in a DBZ movie? That'll be odd. Anyway, I agree with you LeonMorado.

TheBLUESPIRIT86

[178]Feb 14, 2008
    momothelemur wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

actually, no that you mention it, there is a dragonball movie in production scheduled to start in august. james masters is piccolo and chow yun fat is master roshi. and there was a mario bros. movie. it was campy and weird, but it's a cult classic at this point. lots of movie adaptations turn out great. batman, spider-man, transformers, x-men, just to name a few. srsly, you're still just jumping to all these groundless conclusions about what the movie's gonna be like based on absolutely nothing. your prediction has no basis whatsoever. you could at least wait until they actually start doing something before you start you shooting them down for it.

James Marsters is in a DBZ movie? That'll be odd. Anyway, I agree with you LeonMorado.

why dont they just use actors that look like the cartoon characters, so if they look like a white person then its a should be a white actor, if asain lookin asian actor, wouldnt that be alot easier?

gamer_86

[179]Feb 14, 2008
    TheBLUESPIRIT86 wrote:
    momothelemur wrote:
    LeonMorado wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:
    Psyche987 wrote:
    avrurakinninami wrote:

why dont they just use actors that look like the cartoon characters, so if they look like a white person then its a should be a white actor, if asain lookin asian actor, wouldnt that be alot easier?

Because basing it solely on appearance means that the movie will be lacking in acting ability. Seriously. Ever heard of the live action movie of Street Fighter? I didn't hear about it until a few months ago, and apparently they made it when I was a kid. They said the movie sucked as hell.

I know it'd be cool if the characters look like their cartoon counterparts but I don't want a sucky movie with lots of sauce and barely any meat.... ya know what I'm sayin'?

Edited on 02/14/2008 6:07pm

zimtower

[180]Feb 14, 2008
    • level: 5
    They better get that kid's head shaved and they better not use damn prosthetics...