We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

Bunnygirl

[3101]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 10
    DiamondLights wrote:
    Yeah the reviews are pretty abysmal. Waiting for the bootleg version is sounding even more tempting now....

No, we must still have hope! For hope is all we have, and we must never relinguish it, even with our dying breath! *tearbends*
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

katrah88

[3102]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 11
    Le sigh! All this negative talk is making me nervous. I hate feeling that the 12 dollars I have to put up to see this movie (in 2D) will be towards disappointment. If this movie turns out to be garbage I will be starting a petition to throw Shyamalan off a bridge. (Extreme, maybe, but how often do petitions work?) I will also be suing for 25 dollars--the price of my ticket, transportation and a bit extra for emotional distress.

Pulch23

[3103]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 7

Okay hey guys, I was lucky enough to get a free advanced screening because I work for my town newspaper.

I want to come out and say the film is terrible. One of the worst problems with the film is with the acting. Especially the kid who playes Aang (side note the movie doesn't call him Aang it's not like Ugn or something). I know he is a new-comer but boy he couldn't act to save his life.

The film overall looked cheesy and fake, likeAppa.It lacks the magic that made the TV series so great. It's a real shame because the move let me down so much. The 3-D was terrible although some of the special effects looked good, like airbending.

Overall the acting to me is what killed it. Everybody was so dramatic and put so much useless tension into some parts. Many parts were rushed and there was little to no character development. Although I did like the person who played Sokka, he added some relief to a total disappointment of a film. M-Night has failed again.

I gave it a F-

gilvatar

[3104]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 17

in my movie seeing experience, critics usually praise things that are bad and hate this that are good. Should we really place our trust in some shmuck getting a penny a word? We need to judge this movie ourselves.

PS Pulch I was not refering to u

Edited on 06/30/2010 1:35pm

katrah88

[3105]Jun 30, 2010
    gilvatar wrote:

in my movie seeing experience, critics usually praise things that are bad and hate this that are good. Should we really place our trust in some shmuck getting a penny a word? We need to judge this movie ourselves.

PS Pulch I was not refering to u

True, you have to have names like George Clooney and Halle Berry for critics to clamor over it (especially, if the film is based off of another type of media they know nothing about). Still, bad acting is bad acting and the ATLA had some GREAT voice acting which added to the show. So, horrible acting in the film will most certainly be a detriment!

DiamondLights

[3106]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 8
    Oooh, this movie is just looking worser and worser. But as bad as it is, it can't be as bad as the super massive fail Dragonball was..... can it? :S

bl0ndi3girl18

[3107]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 9
    RIGHT NOW ON NICK 30 MINUTE SPECIAL OF THE LAST AIRBENBER!!!

Bunnygirl

[3109]Jun 30, 2010

bl0ndi3girl18 wrote:
    RIGHT NOW ON NICK 30 MINUTE SPECIAL OF THE LAST AIRBENBER!!!
    "The young Ong" He mentioned him changing the name pronunciations. "Avatar" doesn't sound any different, though.

EDIT: Wait, it was only 11 minutes. And he cut the Kyoshi Warriors completelyafter filming a bunch of their scenes. Whelp, I've lost all hope again.

Edited on 06/30/2010 4:17pm

bl0ndi3girl18

[3111]Jun 30, 2010

Okay my TV lied, it was actually only 12 minutes lol But he talked about the name changes, there was a lot of behind the scene footage.

M Night stated that he LOVED the Kyoshi Warriors, BUT didn't put them in the movie :/

He also addressed that Sokka's funny moments are still in the movie, and they showed a little clip of Appa knocking Sokka over with his giant tail. And showed a clip of Aang doing his waterbending training.

Edited on 06/30/2010 4:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

AllieAllie

[3112]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 22

The reviews aren't exactly getting my hopes up that this will be a good movie. :/ And I didn't know they took out the Kiyoshi Warriors, that seriously sucks >.< That means there's no Suki either right? X|

katrah88

[3113]Jun 30, 2010
    The past couple of hours have been such a rollercoaster. I just watched the special as well and the scenes of the Kyoshi Warriors had me excited and then he says that he decided to scrap it. Then I see the Waterbending practice the excitement commences once again. That is, until, I read more reviews commenting on the acting--which, I keep hearing is far from good. If there were two words I could use to describe my feelings they would be "blue" and "balls" XD

KingofSpades209

[3114]Jun 30, 2010

I don't think anyone should let critics influence their opinion. Reading critic reviews before the movie kinda ruins the experience. I admit that I read one review but after that I realized that my opinion is different from theirs so I am going to watch the film with my eyes, not theirs.

RockLeE_Luver

[3115]Jun 30, 2010
    KingofSpades209 wrote:

I don't think anyone should let critics influence their opinion. Reading critic reviews before the movie kinda ruins the experience. I admit that I read one review but after that I realized that my opinion is different from theirs so I am going to watch the film with my eyes, not theirs.

I totally agree. It's really hard to ignore bad reviews, but I'm definitely not basing my opinion off of them before I see the movie. Ahhh I really hope it does the show justice!

chicamusica12

[3116]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 13
    Damn. I'm knocking M. Night on his horrible director @ss. >

katrah88

[3117]Jun 30, 2010
    KingofSpades209 wrote:

Well, I check reviews to determine whether or not I'll see, rent, or ignore. That's if I don't know much about the movie. Now for films such as TLA where I am a fan of the original content I like to know where my expectations should be as I'm most likely going to see the film regardless. I do get your point, though.

HopeHime4

[3118]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 7

I have to say, I'm getting kinda nervous about all the negative reviews as well. I already have tickets to see the film in 3D, but I'm beginning to feel like I wasted my money, and that I might be better off not seeing it at all.

I'll hold my final opinion until after I do see the movie (and I'll try to come back and post about it), but I guess this just goes to show that things like this don't translate easily onto the big screen. Or at least, they don't translate into films that earn rave reviews (and I'll say that part of this problem is that film critics don't always understand, or want to understand, these kinds of series).

Edited on 06/30/2010 7:07pm

JandSman

[3119]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 32
    Going to see the Midnight showing in 3D i haven't seen any clips other then the Trailers. And i haven't read any reviews so not sure how this movie will be but i'm preparing for the worst but i still expect it to do well in the box office because it got a lot of hype more then i expected

Bunnygirl

[3120]Jun 30, 2010
    I was just talking about this with a friend and I have a question for you all. Right now, the majority of the reviews are negative, VERY negative. And, let's say, TLA makes enough money to keep the studio happy and willing to make sequels, regardless of any bad reviews and ratings. Would any of you still want sequels? Just wondering because although I'd love the idea of sequels, if they were like this one possibly is, I don't think I would want them to be made.