We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

edmasterchaos

[3121]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 41
    I don't care how bad it is i'll watch it to support it, but critics reviews do affect Avatar as a whole and that's bad and important =/
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

snowprincess456

[3122]Jun 30, 2010
    • level: 15
    less than an hour till it comes out!!!

It so weird that after all this time...the movie is going to be out in theaters in a matter of minutes...

Nickylucas

[3123]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 23

Just came back from the midnight showing of the movie. I'll give my review here, so you all can look at it and respond to whether you agree or dissagree. (For those of you that don't know, I was a very active member of these fourms back in 2007 and 2008, and a long time Avatar: The Last Airbender fan).

The movie, in short, was good. Not great, but good.

The presentation, was excellent. Special effects and music and all of that were just amazing.

But the storytelling was rushed, and they focused too much on the special effects. In the long run, the movie was about 1 hr. 45 minutes, and much of that movie is just showing off the special effects. Not enough time to develop and make us attached to the characters like the season really did leading up to the epic finale with Zhao killing the moon spirit.

Plus, key scenes were left out such as Aang talking to Avatar Roku at the fire temple, and Sokka meeting Suki at Kyoshi Island. They don't even GO to Kyoshi Island.

In the long run, the movie was good, but the plot was 'drowned' by to much fighting and special effect slow-mo moments. The characters don't get enough time to make us really care. I think the movie should've gone about 2 1/2 hours at least, to cover the plot less rushed develop character more, and still get those "HOLY SH*T!!" special effect moments that all films have these days.

Overall, I give it a 6/10. If they want us to actually care in the sequel when Appa is kidnapped, and actually care about Zuko's inner battle, they need to give less time to special effects and more time to plot. Or maybe, give more time to the movie completely and balance it out well. Does it ruin the series though, no. And that was what I was most worried about heading into this film.

JandSman

[3124]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 32
    It was pretty bad. Don't spend your money on it is my suggestion i'm all for supporting the show but it was pretty bad. I will have a full review tomorrow

Nickylucas

[3125]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 23

JandSman wrote:
    It was pretty bad. Don't spend your money on it is my suggestion i'm all for supporting the show but it was pretty bad. I will have a full review tomorrow
    It's funny seeing you on these fourms...lol...

katrah88

[3126]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 11
    Nickylucas wrote:

Just came back from the midnight showing of the movie. I'll give my review here, so you all can look at it and respond to whether you agree or dissagree. (For those of you that don't know, I was a very active member of these fourms back in 2007 and 2008, and a long time Avatar: The Last Airbender fan).

The presentation, was excellent. Special effects and music and all of that were just amazing.

But the storytelling was rushed, and they focused too much on the special effects. In the long run, the movie was about 1 hr. 45 minutes, and much of that movie is just showing off the special effects. Not enough time to develop and make us attached to the characters like the season really did leading up to the epic finale with Zhao killing the moon spirit.

Plus, key scenes were left out such as Aang talking to Avatar Roku at the fire temple, and Sokka meeting Suki at Kyoshi Island. They don't even GO to Kyoshi Island.

In the long run, the movie was good, but the plot was 'drowned' by to much fighting and special effect slow-mo moments. The characters don't get enough time to make us really care. I think the movie should've gone about 2 1/2 hours at least, to cover the plot less rushed develop character more, and still get those "HOLY SH*T!!" special effect moments that all films have these days.

Overall, I give it a 6/10. If they want us to actually care in the sequel when Appa is kidnapped, and actually care about Zuko's inner battle, they need to give less time to special effects and more time to plot. Or maybe, give more time to the movie completely and balance it out well. Does it ruin the series though, no. And that was what I was most worried about heading into this film.

Hey... hey you! Get out my head! There is nothing here I disagree with.

HopeHime4

[3127]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 7

Nickylucas wrote:

I just got back from the midnight showing too, and I was gonna write my own review here. But there's almost no point now. I honestly think you said it all.

But anyway, here's my own thoughts on the movie. Like Nickylucas said, it was good but not great. There was almost no character development, which greatly affected the presentation of the movie. It was almost like all the development was crammed into a couple scenes in the movie, and it made it come off as really cheesy. The reviews from critics mentioned bad acting and dialogue, but I think most of it stemmed from this issue. If the movie had given more focus to the characters, then I don't think the acting/dialogue would have seemed so bad.

Also, the plot was really rushed, and it was probably really confusing for those who hadn't seen the series. I believe more time should have spent on the journey to the Northern Water Tribe but instead it seemed like most of the movie took place there. The movie was, in general, fairly true to the plot of ATLA, but it lacked a lot of the explanation that the series had. A lot of the details from the series were mentioned, but they were really just crammed in and it was probably overwhelming to those unfamiliar with the series.

The special effects were decent, but lacking in some areas. To put it bluntly, I did not like Momo. Appa was a little better, but I don't think the best of special effects were spent on them. Also, I had some problems with some of the water and ice. In some scenes it looked really fake - almost like plastic. The fighting scenes were pretty good and interesting to watch, and they definitely did a pretty good job on the bending. Also, I thought their costumes were amazing.

Oh, and the 3D was pretty much useless. Aside from the opening sequence (which was pretty cool in 3D, IMO) the 3D seemed almost nonexistent. If you're gonna see the movie, don't pay the extra money for the 3D.

Some scenes had a lot of potential to be amazing, but when it came to that point the movie seemed to instead shy away from it. For example, after the Moon Spirit was "killed," Iroh showed his abilities as a Firebending master. But instead of epically pwning Zhao and the others, he just floated back to the ground like nothing happened. Also I was really disappointed the the Aang+Ocean Spirit scene was left out. It has to be one of my favorites of the series, but they discarded it. The movie focused a lot on the action scenes, yet they somehow strangely avoided any epic pwnage scenes.

All in all, this movie was really just fan fodder. It'll probably make a lot of fans really happy, but it's probably not going to extend ATLA to the rest of the world's population. Some fans will like it, but I doubt that anyone else who hasn't seen the series will find it interesting.

Oh, and one last thing before I go. The theater I saw it in was PACKED. I honestly thought I would be seeing this movie in one of the cinema's smaller theaters, with only like two other families in the theater. Instead, I showed up at 11:25 (the movie started at 12:01) to watch it in their largest theater (that's right, they weren't showing Eclipse in the biggest theater) with the entire room already packed. I was forced to sit in the seats on the floor with my neck craned up at the screen. And even most of those seats were full when I got there. And the crowd wasn't full of families with young children either. It was almost all teenagers and even people older than me (and I'm 18 ). The crowd spent the remaining 1/2 hour tossing around THREE beach balls, and a blown up condom, until the theater workers came and confiscated them.

At first I thought these people were wash outs from the Eclipse movie (meaning they either couldn't get in because it was sold out, or they had just seen Eclipse and didn't want to leave yet). But then I saw the crowd of people with arrows drawn onto their foreheads, and had to listen to all the screaming and clapping when the movie finally started. So who knows, this movie might actually turn out well, despite all the bad reviews.

Anyway, if you managed to read all this then I'm amazed. It's nearly 4am here, so I'd better head to bed. Don't be too disappointed in the movie, guys! It's really not as bad as all the reviews make it seem. At least give it a shot and support it, and then maybe post your own opinions here.

Edited on 07/01/2010 3:58am

RafaelTheWeird

[3128]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 9

I too saw the Midnight showing of the movie and will also be following in my colleague's example by posting my review here. =)

(By "colleague" I mean that like NickylucasI too am a Veteran of this forum from during its active years) I decided to come back bacause of the new show's fate and because my reason for abandoning my tv.com account wasnt out of boredom or dislike- it was because I simply got too busy. it happens to the best of us. the same reason a lot of us Vets are not around.... Until Now! =)

-My pre-show thoughts were: I bet afterwards i'm going to think "eh, okay" like i could sit through it well enough and enjoy myself.

-My after-show thoughts are: SIGH. I miss my pre-show thoughts. so basically, I didn't like it very much =[ I don't hate it! i just... i feel like my ability to keep an open mind was taken advantage of. I went in exited and left unhappy. =[ just that.

The Music and effects WERE top notch. that's great! =)
    but I agree with Nickylucas that the storytelling was rushed and didnt give us the opportunity to bond with the characters. and i also agree when he says "the characters didnt have enough time tomake us care" because thats exactly right! One of the themes of anime (that ATLA an american anime) had, was Character Progression. we had the opportunity to watch aang be a goofy kid and gradually mature into responsibility. that's why book 1 is so much slower than the other seasons. Because everybody starts somewhere.

Just a heads up, pronounciation of the names is pretty bad for some of us. I know i facepalmed at almost every (ohh-nn-gg) and especially at every (Soh-kuh) >=[ which I long since feared hearing.

I guess kyoshi warriors made the deleted scenes? too bad about George. (if you're not a veteran, then you probably don't recognize George. back when the ships for ATLA were created, Sokka and Suki was difficult because they both start with S and both end with K's/vowels. the best anyone could manage was Sukka, which a lot of newbies use today. Finally someone from our very own tv.com ATLA forums decided on "George". both as a joke and in seriousness, the user chose George because the format was similar. two G's, and vowels. And so, George was shipped! =D its a bit sad that not too many people remember it. as a proud Veteran I know I'll never stop shipping George =D)

another thing i always used to appreciate was that Ozai played a traditional villain by staying shadowed until book 3. By introducing him to us so casually and insignificantly, I didnt feel the magic y'know? Like I wasn't scared and i didnt get that he is a powerful man with dark intentions. AND when the Blue Spirit holds aang at swordpoint I ALWAYS, always, always felt a huge OMFG! moment. and Zhao's face- his reaction, would just get me every single time. The gravity of the situation was so intense in ATLA, but the movie had zhao acting casually. I mean come on this was your chance dude! He's going to get away unless you cooperate and that requires swallowing your pride and giving in to this rougue's demands. Remember what's at stake zhao! jeez.

They cut about 75 percent of the show. just putting that out there.

All in all, this movie left me unsatisfied, BUT!!!!!!! That's okay. because by supporting these 3 movies, starting with just this one, we're putting up an exchange method. We're already getting small tidbits of news regarding the new show. If we act as loyal ATLA fans and just keep on supporting no matter how bad, then the exchange rate will increase! Wecould get thenew show sooner rather than later if we just keep Mike & Brian happy and remind them that we're willing to compromise. So Go see the movie everyone. please. we can do this together. and even if you hate it at least you'll have that opinion as your own. =) True I was disappointed, but I'm happy with anything and everything Avatar. whether its :the Last Airbender, :The Legend of Korra, or whatever. Avatar is my favorite American Anime. probably always will be until I make my own. I hope my review was helpful to at least one person, and I look forward to being back at these wonderfully fun and memory creating forums! because really, this is pretty much the BIGGEST unofficial forum for ATLA on the web. you all know this to be true. =) an its thanks to all of us.

XEOCX

[3129]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 7

Was I the only one that actually liked Noah Ringer's acting?

bl0ndi3girl18

[3130]Jul 1, 2010

Ugh I don't know if I want to see this or if I should wait to rent it. I don't mind that M night directed it, but WHY did he have to write it??? He always makes the dialog so awkward and 'proper'. It doesn't work. He makes it "I AM the Avatar"... instead of "I'M the Avatar". And that just makes it sound unnatural. No one talks that properly anymore, unless you're upper, upper, UPPER class.

Edited on 07/01/2010 6:29am

BartTheGeneral

[3131]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 2

I saw the midnight show also, and i have to say it was pretty dissapointing. On the good side, the special affects were amazing, and alot of the scenes were very similair to that in the series, like the when aang and the blue spirit escape, that was a good scene And the Air Temples looked incredible in the movie.

But on the bad note here was a whole lot more. One of the things that got me upset was the overallpronunciation of everything. Theypronounced Avatar like aaavvatar, it sounded like they were gunna say alvacode. And they Sokka like Soaka, (as in soaked in water), they prounonced Aang similair to the way the say Avatar, and people in our theater that were clear fans of the show were literally laughing at how bad it was.

Also alot of the scenes in the show were meshed together in the movie. Yes i understand that they cant fit everything in the movie they simply dont have enough time, but the fact that they combined The Waterbending Scroll, Imprisonded, and Warriors of Kyoshi Island into about 10 minutes of the movie, the whole thing felt rushed. Oh and they Earthbenders who were imprisoned were not on a metal boat, they were in land, sorrounded by earth.

Finallythe characters just werent represented well in the film for me. Uncle Iroh was one of my favorite characters in the show, was a thing old man with dreadlocks and a slight RUSSIAN accent. And in the film you never really felt connected to thecharacters, and i could take Zhao seriously because he was Assif Mandvi from the Daily Show. Another thing i didnt like is how they basically switched the Northern and Southern Air temples, in the show he found the temple of past avatars in the southern air temple, while in the movie it was the northern, it was awful.

Also they didn't say Kataras name until the last 15 minutes of the movie.

They should have hadMichael Dante DiMartinoandBryan Konietzkoapprove!

4/10.

+ Good Visuals

- Rushed stories

-LaughableActing

If you read my rant, thank you!

Bunnygirl

[3132]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 10
    I won't be able to see this until tomorrow but I need to know one thing. Does Iroh drink tea at all in the movie? Because I read somewhere that he was drinking coffee and I just want to know if they were trolling. And if he's not drinking tea then how can they call him Iroh?

BartTheGeneral

[3133]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 2
    yes there is one scene where he is drinking, im not sure if they actually say tea, but it looks like a teapot. So they did manage to fit that in. But overall, i think Iroh was not a good character in the movie.

RockLeE_Luver

[3134]Jul 1, 2010

snowprincess456 wrote:
    less than an hour till it comes out!!! It so weird that after all this time...the movie is going to be out in theaters in a matter of minutes...
    I know! I remember hearing about the movie three-ish years ago and nearly peeing my pants with excitement... until I realized it was coming to theaters in 2010. Now I'm seeing the movie in an hour. Craaazy

Edited on 07/01/2010 8:07am

edmasterchaos

[3135]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 41
    @Rafael: Dude, i'm sure everyone here knows and loves George xD minus the occasional Tokka shipper. And, *sigh* guess the movie overall failed.

chicamusica12

[3136]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 13
    BartTheGeneral wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa! ...What?

katrah88

[3137]Jul 1, 2010
    chicamusica12 wrote:
    BartTheGeneral wrote:

Whoa whoa whoa whoa! ...What?

It's true, meanwhile, everyone else introduces themselves in an unnatural fashion.
    ***SPOILER***

NegiSpongie

[3138]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 20
    GOD! I was supposed to go see the movie today with my dad since we're both fans of the series. Now I'm not even sure if I wanna go anymore since I'm hearing so many people saying how awful the movie is. I don't wanna come out of movie theater saying I should've saved my birthday tickets for the next Harry Potter movie. What should I do?

katrah88

[3139]Jul 1, 2010
    NegiSpongie wrote:
    GOD! I was supposed to go see the movie today with my dad since we're both fans of the series. Now I'm not even sure if I wanna go anymore since I'm hearing so many people saying how awful the movie is. I don't wanna come out of movie theater saying I should've saved my birthday tickets for the next Harry Potter movie. What should I do?

If this is for you to ENJOY your birthday go see HP and see TLA when you have nothing else better to do and just want to go out and blow some money. Or, take advantage of your dad dishing out the cash to see TLA so you don't feel like you were ripped off and pay to see HP so you can feel like you got your money's worth. Go with whichever scenario appeals to you.

bl0ndi3girl18

[3140]Jul 1, 2010

Made up my mind. I'm not gonna see it lol. Why couldn't Mike and Bryan write the script??!?!!???

Haha so funny

Edited on 07/01/2010 2:39pm