We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

ATLA Live Action Film: ** Gran Gran & Yue Casting** UPDATED 04/05/2009**

Will you see the teaser trailer?

LadyLaura26

[3001]May 8, 2010
    • level: 12
    snowprincess456 wrote:
    That was a really good trailer! Not only did it show some amazing stuff we haven't seen yet (Kyoshi warriors ) but it also explained the plot better so that other people (non-avatards) will see it
    It looks really awesome! Thanks Ranger
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

gilvatar

[3002]May 8, 2010
    • level: 17
    omg that was the best trailer in the history of trailers!!!

WWinnieF

[3003]May 8, 2010
    • level: 20
    Great trailor. Hopefully the movies does--indeed--live up to expectations.

AllieAllie

[3004]May 9, 2010
    • level: 22

Yeah I agree, I like how it explained the plot more clearly and the Kiyoshi Warriors. Looks pretty good

tico1125

[3005]May 10, 2010
    • level: 6
    After seeing the new trailers, I can say that a lot of positive is shining through for the movie. On the one from France, a nice plot line is being laid out. On the U.S. the plot line is laid out a bit in a similar fashion but not as apparent. What it does do well, though, is show us Avatar fans what major episodes are being depicted in their storyline.

I have seen a variety of scenes from the Boy in the Iceberg, maybe something from the Southern Air temple or Northern Air Temple episodes, Winter Solstice episodes, but a large majority on the SotN episodes.

The dragon does seem like a piece to wet people's appetite to see the CG and it felt like Roku's voice was just overlaid in. I think the main reason for the U.S. trailer is to get the fans of the show to connect with the scenes. Get them jazzed up for the movie. I can't find anything about the length of the movie. Has anyone seen anything about how long it will be? I am hoping that they are not cramming it into an 1 1/2.

MarWash

[3006]May 10, 2010
    • level: 31
    This better be a 2 hour movie... at least. This needs to be like the Harry Potter movies in order to correctly develop characters, especially in the first movie.

WWinnieF

[3007]May 10, 2010
    MarWash wrote:
    This better be a 2 hour movie... at least. This needs to be like the Harry Potter movies in order to correctly develop characters, especially in the first movie.
    But if it follows directly like the Potter films, it is bound to leave things out that may very well be pertinant to the story (for instance, the reason for the Maurader's Map and the explanation for why Padfoot, Prongs, Wormtail, and the others are synonyms for established characters [ex: Wormtail is Petter Pettigrew]). I hope the AtLAB movie keeps everything intact in that regard.

MarWash

[3008]May 10, 2010
    • level: 31
    WWinnieF wrote:
    MarWash wrote:
    But if it follows directly like the Potter films, it is bound to leave things out that may very well be pertinant to the story (for instance, the reason for the Maurader's Map and the explanation for why Padfoot, Prongs, Wormtail, and the others are synonyms for established characters [ex: Wormtail is Petter Pettigrew]). I hope the AtLAB movie keeps everything intact in that regard.
    i was referring only to length, not writing or direction.

WWinnieF

[3009]May 10, 2010
    MarWash wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:
    MarWash wrote:
    i was referring only to length, not writing or direction.
    I surmized as much, but I just figured I'd mention the concept of direction and writing, as thoue are important as well.

edmasterchaos

[3010]May 10, 2010
    • level: 41

WWinnieF wrote:
    MarWash wrote:
    It's impossible to keep everything in =/
    Though there are things that can be cut (Great Divide, your only hope is to be a myth gag.) and, the advantage here is that Avatar already ended, while Harry Potter had yet to end when the movies started, so Shyamalamaman (who'll be helped by Bryke) doesn't need to worry about cutting something that ends up being relevant to the story.

ranger8060

[3011]May 10, 2010
    • level: 7
    MarWash wrote:

Except that it won't be two hours. Maybe the sequels will.
    But for now producer Frank Marshall confirmed it will be around 100 minutes.

tico1125

[3012]May 11, 2010
    ranger8060 wrote:
    MarWash wrote:

Except that it won't be two hours. Maybe the sequels will.
    But for now producer Frank Marshall confirmed it will be around 100 minutes.

Hmmm. Wonder if they can pull off a good story in 1 hour 40 minutes...

I guess they could, but some of the important character intros will probably be short and to the point. I am sure they will cover the main 4 characters well enough, but I bet they will shorten the following intros:

Suki
    Inventor from Northern Air temple
    Yue
    Roku

In fact, I am betting that there will not be a spirit world trip in the SotN piece. Yue will probably be like, "Yeah you see the fish in the small pond? They are the moon and ocean spirits in mortal form." See what I mean? I haven't seen much on the 2 important masters that Aang learns from either (Paku and Jeong Jeong). So if they are going to make the other 2 movies, they may leave out he white lotus society too. See some pieces may be important and may not be. Just depends what they feel is unnecessary. When looking at the possibility, I am thinking they will maintain focus on the main characters and the major part of the story and leave out the side stories.

WWinnieF

[3013]May 11, 2010
    With it being so short, the story itself may become rushed. Do we want that?

tico1125

[3014]May 11, 2010
    WWinnieF wrote:

That's the thing. I think not matter how you slice it, the movie is going to feel like a rush of the 1st season. I mean, they are taking about 8 hours of material and trying to condense it down to 100 minutes... So I guess their main focus will be on the major pieces of the story from S1. Well, only a month and half away til we find out! Hopefully it will be good.

Also another question, is that the kid talking with the Dragon when he says, "I will stop them." What do you guys think of his voice?

So far, everything I have seen of him has been serious looks. Not a fun loving kid...

ranger8060

[3015]May 11, 2010
    tico1125 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:

That's the thing. I think not matter how you slice it, the movie is going to feel like a rush of the 1st season. I mean, they are taking about 8 hours of material and trying to condense it down to 100 minutes... So I guess their main focus will be on the major pieces of the story from S1. Well, only a month and half away til we find out! Hopefully it will be good.

Also another question, is that the kid talking with the Dragon when he says, "I will stop them." What do you guys think of his voice?

So far, everything I have seen of him has been serious looks. Not a fun loving kid...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iy1oeEdkbs lolwut?

tico1125

[3016]May 11, 2010
    ranger8060 wrote:
    tico1125 wrote:
    WWinnieF wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Iy1oeEdkbs lolwut?

Lol. Didn't know they interviewed him. He still looked serious even in the interview. Somebody should tell him that he doesn't need to keep the stick up there... :-S

edmasterchaos

[3017]May 11, 2010
    • level: 41
    Well, Gurren Lagann: Lagann Hen, the second Gurren Lagann movie is basically a cinematic of the second part of the story, and it was honestly very well paced, it didn't feel too rushed and was as epic if not a little more epic than the anime. Though, of course it only used 10 episodes as source (and it animated about 10-20 minutes of entirely new scenes) and the movie was 2 hours long, but still, the Avatar movie can feel well-paced if the writting is appropriate and they give the correct ammount of time to all the events.

tico1125

[3018]May 12, 2010
    Very true edmaster... Based on some of the scenes in the trailers, it does look like they took some of the scenes from the show and translated them to live action.

ranger8060

[3019]May 12, 2010
    BS & Aang
    http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9414/img002ug.jpg

BS
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/1922/img004sm.jpg

KW
    http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/4863/img009hr.jpg

Zhao
    http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/448/img005s.jpg

Iroh& Yue
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/8462/img008es.jpg

Katara
    http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/6242/img015sn.jpg

Yue
    http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/2569/img012h.jpg

Aang&Avatar Statues
    http://img532.imageshack.us/img532/1577/img011hx.jpg

Zhao
    http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/865/img007t.jpg

Iroh AND tea
    http://img203.imageshack.us/img203/2323/img006kq.jpg

zUKO&iROH
    http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2423/img003eg.jpg

ranger8060

[3020]May 12, 2010
    taken from Project86 over at LAF