We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official The Last Airbender Movie Thread

chicamusica12

[62]Jul 9, 2010
    • level: 13

***SPOILER***
    All credit goes to Cracked.com
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

qtwanderer

[63]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 27

Its hard not to compare the movie to the show knowing how much of the story was changed, even if you take that factor away the film itself is still not that great. Poor pacing and dialogue and some not so good acting were contributors but you can not blame it on those elements cause the director directs it all. Not his best film and not the best film to represent the show.

I do not see how the producers and studio would continue with the other parts of the trilogy knowing how bad of a direction this one is going. I doubt if there is a part 2, they may just let it die. The best option is to let it die and give it a "Hulk" reboot in a few years.

Not worth the money and barely worth the time unless your curiosity gets the better of you, which for some it will.

Edited on 07/10/2010 2:36pm

XEOCX

[64]Jul 10, 2010
    • level: 7

Everyone watch "The Great Divide" to feel better

xXKarisuXx

[65]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 12
    XEOCX wrote:

bahahaha

ironically, my friends borrowed my season 1 while i was in hawaii and marathoned it, and they watched every episode BUT the great divide
    lolz

rookeealding

[66]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 9

I'm watching the entire series again, and I find it soo funny that the show itself makes fun of the movie. I just a part in "The Chase" where they make fun of ponytails.

It's like he based the entire movie off of the "previously on"'s and " The Ember island players"

I'm calling for a Reboot right now, mostly because I can't see how the next 2 movies would ever work with everything he cut out or purposely changed.

And if I hear the lame "it's an adaptation or it's his interpretation" any more I think I might have to scream. The only reason this was going to be a movie in the first place is because its a great cartoon, with a great story, good writing, and good direction. Not because MNS could make an adaptation or but a new "twist" on it. The high hopes came from the cartoon, the interest in the movie idea came from the cartoon, Not because MNS was going to get to make a new movie.

but over all, I blame viacom/paramount They paid for MNS because for some odd reason they thought they needed a big name for the movie. They allowed the casting the way they did cause the movie "needed big name/popular actors" Not because they could act, but because some already had fans.

I hope the next two movies are scrapped, but the planned new series ( if they get the right writers and directors) goes through. Optimistically, Some one would look as this as a failure and decide to do a reboot instead of sequels, but knowing this particular company.. I doubt it.

katrah88

[67]Jul 11, 2010
    • level: 11
    chicamusica12 wrote:

***SPOILER***
    All credit goes to Cracked.com

XEOCX wrote:

XD we are a remarkable fanbase to be able to still find humor in such an awful movie

xXKarisuXx

[68]Jul 11, 2010

1) People who are saying "Support the movie because that's supporting the show!" I would have to disagree. What I witnessed today was not my show. They were not my characters. In fact, supporting the movie would be the opposite of supportig ATLA because it would give the show, its characters, its effort, and its emotion, a bad name. Sokka wasn't funny. Aang didn't smile. Zhao needed more mutton chops.

2) The only redeeming factor for me was that I knew someone in the film. During the siege there was a water tribe woman running and my friends were all, "Oh, hey, that looked like Emily," and it turns out it was. Only. Good. Part.

LovexHarmonyxx

[69]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 8
    This movie sucks.

rookeealding

[70]Jul 13, 2010

The sequels... if they happen According to Shyamalan... ( made one part bold to discus something)

"In speaking with MTV, Shyamalan offers up some hints about who the main villain in The Last Airbender 2 would be and what tone he hopes to strike. "The third is more ambiguous, but the second one, I've written a draft that I'm really happy with and is darker and richer," he said. "And it has a wonderful antagonist in it in Azula, who's kind of like our only real, pure antagonist in the series, so I'm excited about that"

"...The third is more ambiguous..."? Really? cause, and maybe this is just me, but the Third season of the show was the most straight forward and less filler of all of the first two seasons. ( don't get me wrong there is still filler, but most was used to highlight characters or give the audience a breather instead of acting like a clip-show. admittedly the ember island players does this, but really hammers home what is about to happen ) And I love the "darker and richer" comment. How much more "darker" can you get ( without killing mind you) than having the Villain lose all her sanity? Maybe he means ambiguous as in he doesn't know how he'll do it now that he's cut so much from the story already. Or maybe all the action in the Third Season confuses him. I see the Second movie ( if someone is dumb enough to green light it) having an even more rushed story line and less character development. Just think all the characters not seen but needed for story in the first season? All showing up in the second, along with anyone else we need. Character development? not unless we get rid of Ba sing sa all together. ( which might happen)

Also...

"but the second one, I've written a draft that I'm really happy with" ... The first movie hasn't been out that long, meaning he wasn't even aware of fan reaction before he started to write this draft. Yea... that's going to end well. Also , notice he didn't say I've been drafting or I've made a few drafts meaning he's made in total one draft and he's happy with it... after one go around... after not even seeing how the fans reacted. Granted I know Drafts are meant to be polished but... It doesn't sound like he wants to polish it... and the fact that he's also the director? I can imagine that there is not going to be much polishing ( unless paramount execs. decide to try to do something, but seeing as they only care about money? At this time their not likely to green light a second movie).

well... he does have one thing right. Azula is a badass...

JandSman

[71]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 32
    So overall everybody thought it sucked or is there anyone who thought it was good?

hanners94

[72]Jul 13, 2010
    • level: 1

Okay... Not gonna read all the pages yet cause I've gotta rant about this butchered, massacred movie...

Though I admit, the effects and fight scenes and settings are pretty amazing, there was too much other badness for it to count :/

Plus, I haven't been this excited for a movie since maybe the latest Harry Potter... Huge disappointment. I would be lying if I said $7 was worth it.. I got all giddy every time a commercial came on.. But noooo...

My sister and I watched it in the theater and kept giving each other these pained glances... I had to re-watch the whole series to wash the bad taste out :/

One of the BEST things about this show are the characters. Aang is the childish, adorably goofy yet powerful dude. Sokka WAS NOT FUNNY. WHY??? Sokka is sarcastic, pessimistic and almost useless but not quite... and he's FUNNY! He's the total comic relief and he's cool like that. Katara, I admit, I'm not a HUGE fan of, especially in the 3rd season, but her character is supposed to kind of be the opposite of Sokka; she's not much into humor and she's very motherly. Iroh is SO AWESOME. WHERE DID ALL THE TEA COMMENTS GO??? That is one of his defining characteristics and M Night screwed himself over because the TEA SHOP Zuko and Iroh run is HALF of the 2nd season for those characters... I don't know how he's gonna fix that! Zuko was really the only character who was good... He's very tense and closed off and almost exactly to character.. But he was the only one :/

Also... The whole thing about Aang (fake-Aang... He was NOT AANG. I won't be convinced!) not being able to have a family?? Book 2! That is book 2!!! With the whole mastering the Avatar State and the Chakra (spelling?) guru etc...

Plus.. Katara is a creeper stalker person... Eeps..

The way this movie went... they probably won't have episodes like The Chase.. Or Zuko Alone... or probably the episode with all the character's stories which I can't remember the name of but was really superbly awesome.

One last point.. Some of the funniest lines and episodes are in the 2nd season... But since the characters HAVE NO CHARACTER, they're not going to be able to put them in the movie!! I mean... Sokka and Momo on Cactus Juice... "It's the quenchiest!" erg....

I'm not gonna even get into the issues with the casting of different races... I've said too much already x]

Avatar is such an awesome show... I wish they could have done better on this :/

Alrightay.. Rant over now! Thanks, if you read it!

bl0ndi3girl18

[74]Jul 14, 2010

I guess Jeff Palmer like it... lol

xXKarisuXx

[75]Jul 14, 2010

uhm don't know if this is real or not BUT I think "Ribbed Latex" would have been a phenomenal addition to the otherwise wooden characters.

sh811a

[76]Jul 15, 2010
    • level: 30
    I saw the movie and this will be no supprise but it is a terrible movie at least in my book. Everything about it was wrong, and the fault was just in wrong direction and writing. If they every think of giving the Avitar franshise another go into live action they need to have a good writer like I don't know David Kopp, Shane Black, at least someone that can write good/great scripts and another director like Peter Jackson may'be. And final must a better cast that fit the characters and but can perform well.

gilvatar

[77]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 17
    rookeealding wrote:

The sequels... if they happen According to Shyamalan... ( made one part bold to discus something)

"In speaking with MTV, Shyamalan offers up some hints about who the main villain in The Last Airbender 2 would be and what tone he hopes to strike. "The third is more ambiguous, but the second one, I've written a draft that I'm really happy with and is darker and richer," he said. "And it has a wonderful antagonist in it in Azula, who's kind of like our only real, pure antagonist in the series, so I'm excited about that"

"...The third is more ambiguous..."? Really? cause, and maybe this is just me, but the Third season of the show was the most straight forward and less filler of all of the first two seasons. ( don't get me wrong there is still filler, but most was used to highlight characters or give the audience a breather instead of acting like a clip-show. admittedly the ember island players does this, but really hammers home what is about to happen ) And I love the "darker and richer" comment. How much more "darker" can you get ( without killing mind you) than having the Villain lose all her sanity? Maybe he means ambiguous as in he doesn't know how he'll do it now that he's cut so much from the story already. Or maybe all the action in the Third Season confuses him. I see the Second movie ( if someone is dumb enough to green light it) having an even more rushed story line and less character development. Just think all the characters not seen but needed for story in the first season? All showing up in the second, along with anyone else we need. Character development? not unless we get rid of Ba sing sa all together. ( which might happen)

Also...

"but the second one, I've written a draft that I'm really happy with" ... The first movie hasn't been out that long, meaning he wasn't even aware of fan reaction before he started to write this draft. Yea... that's going to end well. Also , notice he didn't say I've been drafting or I've made a few drafts meaning he's made in total one draft and he's happy with it... after one go around... after not even seeing how the fans reacted. Granted I know Drafts are meant to be polished but... It doesn't sound like he wants to polish it... and the fact that he's also the director? I can imagine that there is not going to be much polishing ( unless paramount execs. decide to try to do something, but seeing as they only care about money? At this time their not likely to green light a second movie).

well... he does have one thing right. Azula is a badass...

My favorite part of thiss whole interview is that the interviewer is talking as if the whole plot of the series is a big secret. XD Who's the villain? Watch the show and find out. Or at least look at the Wiki page.

edmasterchaos

[78]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 41
    xXKarisuXx wrote:

uhm don't know if this is real or not BUT I think "Ribbed Latex" would have been a phenomenal addition to the otherwise wooden characters.

I saw and loved this so much. Every single sentence made me laugh even more than the last one.

chicamusica12

[79]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 13
    hanners94 wrote:

Okay... Not gonna read all the pages yet cause I've gotta rant about this butchered, massacred movie...

Though I admit, the effects and fight scenes and settings are pretty amazing, there was too much other badness for it to count :/

Plus, I haven't been this excited for a movie since maybe the latest Harry Potter... Huge disappointment. I would be lying if I said $7 was worth it.. I got all giddy every time a commercial came on.. But noooo...

My sister and I watched it in the theater and kept giving each other these pained glances... I had to re-watch the whole series to wash the bad taste out :/

One of the BEST things about this show are the characters. Aang is the childish, adorably goofy yet powerful dude. Sokka WAS NOT FUNNY. WHY??? Sokka is sarcastic, pessimistic and almost useless but not quite... and he's FUNNY! He's the total comic relief and he's cool like that. Katara, I admit, I'm not a HUGE fan of, especially in the 3rd season, but her character is supposed to kind of be the opposite of Sokka; she's not much into humor and she's very motherly. Iroh is SO AWESOME. WHERE DID ALL THE TEA COMMENTS GO??? That is one of his defining characteristics and M Night screwed himself over because the TEA SHOP Zuko and Iroh run is HALF of the 2nd season for those characters... I don't know how he's gonna fix that! Zuko was really the only character who was good... He's very tense and closed off and almost exactly to character.. But he was the only one :/

Also... The whole thing about Aang (fake-Aang... He was NOT AANG. I won't be convinced!) not being able to have a family?? Book 2! That is book 2!!! With the whole mastering the Avatar State and the Chakra (spelling?) guru etc...

Plus.. Katara is a creeper stalker person... Eeps..

The way this movie went... they probably won't have episodes like The Chase.. Or Zuko Alone... or probably the episode with all the character's stories which I can't remember the name of but was really superbly awesome.

One last point.. Some of the funniest lines and episodes are in the 2nd season... But since the characters HAVE NO CHARACTER, they're not going to be able to put them in the movie!! I mean... Sokka and Momo on Cactus Juice... "It's the quenchiest!" erg....

I'm not gonna even get into the issues with the casting of different races... I've said too much already x]

Avatar is such an awesome show... I wish they could have done better on this :/

Alrightay.. Rant over now! Thanks, if you read it!

Oh good god...Hollywood's just a huge masochist isn't it? -.-

Pablo_808

[80]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 14

xXKarisuXx wrote:

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! That really made my day.

teenj12

[81]Jul 16, 2010
    • level: 26

I watched the movie and it was pretty awesome. The acting could have been better though.I loved how they mashed certain stories together.