We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official The Last Airbender Movie Thread

tico1125

[41]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 6
    superSokka wrote:

earthqueenazula wrote:
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    If Book 1 was horribly compacted I don't even want to known what Book 2 and Book 3 would look like.
    Remember, Books one two and three are all part of one story. It seems the first movie was all about setting up the world they live in. Movies 2 and 3 are going to have more character development. Besides, I'd imagine that it'd be hard to make a movie based on a season of television. The story is made up of many different adventures, as opposed to a book that is one continual story. So making a movie based on a TV show takes a lot more streamlining than a movie based on a book. There were many things that I did not like about the movie either, but come on everyone. lets cut him some slack. Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone was awful, as well as Twilight and New Moon (havent seen the 3rd one and dont want to). But those movies still did well because they both have amazing fans. I really hope fans of Avatar are just as die hard.
    Ok heres the problem with that. There wont be time for back story in a Book 2 movie for characters from the Book 1 movie because they'll need that time for character developement for the new characters in Book 2. The problem here is that M.N.S. packed a 6 hour long season into an hour and a half long movie....he needed an extra hour. In that extra hour there could have been time for character developement and introduced the Keyoshi Warriors. Book 2 should introduce Azula, Toph, Mae, Tylee, and everyone afiliated with Ba Sing S

Agree!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

tico1125

[42]Jul 6, 2010
    Well, I will finally post my review on the movie. I know that I previously indicated that I would not waste my $40 on seeing this movie. So guess what, I didn't. ROFL. I went and saw Eclipse yesterday with my wife. While there we decided to take on a double feature. Shh... Guess what, the movie is best seen this way. :-P Comparing the show and the movie is somewhat pointless. So I will simply say this: too little of dialogue, acting was so so..., and the bending was kind of ridiculous. They did about ten moves to make the water move. I will be putting up a second post in a second. I posted a great review on my best friend's forum.

tico1125

[44]Jul 6, 2010

So lets get into the review of The Last Airbender...

Beware of the below spoilers...

So I have to agree with what I read so far from the Internet. The story was extremely choppy. To sum up the episodes they covered, here is a list in order. Boy In The Iceberg, The Avatar Returns, Southern Air Temple, Imprisoned, Blue Spirit, Waterbending Master, and Siege of the North. Those are the major parts to make up the storyline. However, each episode was was covered in an average of 13 minutes. Some other episodes had about a minute of an appearance. So everything felt very rushed!

Now the story went like this: Soaka and Katara find Ong. Zuko and Earo come to the village and take Ong away. While on Zuko's boat, Earo pulls out a piece of the other 3 elements to see if they react to Ong. Sort of testing if he is the Avatar. After passing the test, Ong cleverly escapes. They fly to Southern Air Temple. Ong gets Momo, and gets mad because he sees the Gyatso was killed. Avatar State... Next they save a small Earth bending village by convincing them that the dirt under their feet can be used as a weapon... (Duh) So the villagers give Katara a waterbending scroll. They travel around saving other towns and Ong struggles with learning waterbending (Which did not happen in the show.) So next Ong felt the need to go to the Northern Air temple to see if he can connect again in the spirit world with Roku's dragon (Yeah Avatar Roku was not in this movie at all...) At the temple, General Zhao has a good trap to where they capture Ong. They hold Ong at the air temple and Zuko saves him. Ozai orders Zhao to kill the Moon Spirit. So everyone ends up going to the Northern Watertribe. Ong learns his waterbending there and so does Katara. Everything at the water tribe goes similar to the show, but Ong doesn't merge with the Ocean Spirit to destroy the fire navy. Also Ong and Zuko get into a big fist fight. That's right, not much bending... Also the firebenders need an available source of fire in order to bend.

So what major plot line has been changed? Sozin's comet comes into play at the end of the movie when Ozai tells Azula to delay the Avatar's learning of the other elements for 3 years... (You read that right!) So instead of the comet coming in the following Summer, it is 3 years away... I guess M Night did that because if he is going to make the other 2 movies, then he needs to allot time since the kid playing Ong is going to be going through puberty. Also the comet will just give the fire benders the ability to throw fire without a source. Which in the show the source of the firebending is the sun. They get their power from the sun. They summon fire from the sun. Very weird. So I am guess that the whole Solar Eclipse isn't going to make a part in the trilogy...

Overall, if I had to rank this movie from 1-10, (10 being the highest) I would give it a 4.
    Here is the points loss:
    -1 for the bad writing
    -1 for the bad acting
    -1 for changing the names
    -1 for making the movie only an 1.5 hours
    -1 for not making Appa and Momo bigger roles
    -1 for crapping the bending (Meaning too much movement done to make it work)
    Total: -6

Here are the point gains:
    +1 Noah Ringer makes a good Aang
    +1 Pretty good CG for the the bending
    +1 Great job on the scenery
    +1 The creation of Appa and Momo

Total: +4

tico1125

[45]Jul 6, 2010

Finally, I will say one thing that I probably would change and that is the fire nation actors. Not being racist or anything so please don't flame me, but I think they would have been better played by Asian actors. Even some of the other roles in the movie might have been better played by Asians. Some things felt out of place for some reason. The names bothered me a bit, but what bothered me the most is the lacking of enthusiasm from some of the scenes. I also don't like that they took out the fire bending source (the sun factor) because that shows what they would do with the 3rd movie. I.e. no Day of Black Sun...

SPDShadowRanger

[47]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 72
    mechtrogdor wrote:
    I do not watch this movie to destroy my love for the show, so I will never watch it.

Your love for the show isn't going to be ruined from watching an adaption of it. And if that did happen, that would be your fault, not the studio's.

edmasterchaos wrote:
    Bad movie was... not so bad, you've gotta ignore all your "That's not how it should work!" thoughts, but otherwise, it's an okay thing that supports avatar, so that's good enough for money wasting. IMO.

I did, and I still thought it wasn't that good. I knew it was going to be different and I got bored with it. Honestly, the scenery is the best part of the movie and that is sad.

shadowclone7290

[48]Jul 6, 2010
    • level: 10
    tico1125 wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    Whoa whoa whoa, it's got flaws yeah, but it's not Dragon Ball Evolution bad .-.
    I've heard worse. I've hear Eragon bad.

I've seen all three of these movies and Avatar the last Airbender was WAY better the DBE and Eragon both of those movies caused mass fan suicide around the world this movies had some problems but we still have two more movies and hopefully it should get better with age... let's hope

SokkaAppa

[49]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 11

I thought it was horrible. I can live with the cast and the acting but just the fact that from a narrative stand point it was just completely hard to follow. AND Shama-whatever's decision to talk about spirits governing over the earth was the most confusing thing i've ever heard!!!

And also his decision to change the fire benders from being able to create fire rather than manipulate was absolutely ridicules because when they invaded the north all the watertribe warriors had to do was put out any available fire that was present and they could easily win.

A huge and complete flaw in the story just horrible and also not introducing the Kyoshi Warriors was dumb since they play a pivotal role in the series especially with sokka. Horrible horrible horrible. NO company should let shamalyan direct ever again. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!

tico1125

[50]Jul 7, 2010

SokkaAppa wrote:

I thought it was horrible. I can live with the cast and the acting but just the fact that from a narrative stand point it was just completely hard to follow. AND Shama-whatever's decision to talk about spirits governing over the earth was the most confusing thing i've ever heard!!!

And also his decision to change the fire benders from being able to create fire rather than manipulate was absolutely ridicules because when they invaded the north all the watertribe warriors had to do was put out any available fire that was present and they could easily win.

A huge and complete flaw in the story just horrible and also not introducing the Kyoshi Warriors was dumb since they play a pivotal role in the series especially with sokka. Horrible horrible horrible. NO company should let shamalyan direct ever again. ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!!!!

I agree that M. Night should not be allowed to direct. If they are going to run with 2 more movies, then they should let Bryan and Mike do the writing and get someone like Peter Jackson to direct. Get a real director that will carry the vision of the show. What I am afraid is that the next movie will not properly cover Toph and the Earth bending lessons. I am even betting that they will cut Ba Sing Se. Think about it. They killed a major point in the story. Firebenders get their power from the Sun. They make fire without a source because of the sun. Hence the plot line of the solar eclipse. Well if they don't need the sun to make fire, then what would be the point to have a solar eclipse. No point to running to Ba Sing Se to tell the Earth King of a coming solar eclipse. In one sense they can continue with it similar to the way the moon helps waterbenders, but then it would make little sense.

Another thing that is going to be strange is how they will handle lightning. Think about it. If they can't even conjure up their own fire without a source, then how are they going to conjure lightning for Azula? In the reveal that Nickelodeon played last week before the movie came out, M. Knight said that he made it so firebenders needed a source. He did it because he didn't understand how they could make fire... That is somewhat of what he said right? So this next quote from Iroh in the Boy in the Iceberg episode, "Iroh: No! Power in firebending comes from the breath. Not the muscles. The breath becomes energy in the body. The energy extends past your limbs and becomes fire." So where is the confusion mister director?>

I seriously think he watched maybe 5 episodes in the middle of Season 1 and decided to make the movie without watching anymore.

tico1125

[51]Jul 7, 2010
    Also, I attribute the bad acting not to the actors themselves, but primarily on him and his writing. I am betting that some of the actors playing the parts enjoyed the show and wanted to follow the show. When presented with the crappy storyline he put in, they had trouble with the writing. If I was asked to act this out in some way shape or form, I would have bombed it too when I saw his crap writing job. I mean Katara had little to no dialogue. He character seemed meaningless in the movie. All the development of the characters was total garbage.

SokkaAppa

[52]Jul 7, 2010
    tico1125 wrote:

SokkaAppa wrote:

I agree that M. Night should not be allowed to direct. If they are going to run with 2 more movies, then they should let Bryan and Mike do the writing and get someone like Peter Jackson to direct. Get a real director that will carry the vision of the show. What I am afraid is that the next movie will not properly cover Toph and the Earth bending lessons. I am even betting that they will cut Ba Sing Se. Think about it. They killed a major point in the story. Firebenders get their power from the Sun. They make fire without a source because of the sun. Hence the plot line of the solar eclipse. Well if they don't need the sun to make fire, then what would be the point to have a solar eclipse. No point to running to Ba Sing Se to tell the Earth King of a coming solar eclipse. In one sense they can continue with it similar to the way the moon helps waterbenders, but then it would make little sense.

Another thing that is going to be strange is how they will handle lightning. Think about it. If they can't even conjure up their own fire without a source, then how are they going to conjure lightning for Azula? In the reveal that Nickelodeon played last week before the movie came out, M. Knight said that he made it so firebenders needed a source. He did it because he didn't understand how they could make fire... That is somewhat of what he said right? So this next quote from Iroh in the Boy in the Iceberg episode, "Iroh: No! Power in firebending comes from the breath. Not the muscles. The breath becomes energy in the body. The energy extends past your limbs and becomes fire." So where is the confusion mister director?>

I seriously think he watched maybe 5 episodes in the middle of Season 1 and decided to make the movie without watching anymore.

WOW I totally agree I didn't even think about that! NO day of black sun would totally ruin the movie. I think the series is hopeless now.

I think if things continue as is, they will ruin Toph's story line, and did you noticed how they didn't create any romantic chemistry between Katara and Ung (aang haha)?

Also Did you like Knight's changing of the story and making it soo spirit world oriented that it didnt make sense why they fire nation was trying to take over the world? Last thing and the probably the funniest of all was how they would do hand movements for like 5 minutes and nothing would happen and then finally water or fire would start to move hahahaha totally ridiculous!

tico1125

[53]Jul 7, 2010
    Well the whole spirit thing made me throw up in my mouth. He is slowly decapitating the plot of the story with his changes.

As for the bending, yeah that was too ridiculous! I mean, in the show, every movement affected the element. It wasn't ten moves for one action with water... Another thing that had me laughing was the fight between Zuko and Aang at the end. They got into a FIST FIGHT!!!! WTH!?!?!?!?!? Zuko can throw fireballs and Aang can blow him into a wall, but they end up wrestling on the floor?

So I was doing some quick research and found that the total budget on this movie was $150 million. They have made $69.3 million so far. If the movie doesn't recoup the cost and then some, there will not be a 2nd and 3rd movie. So in a sense, I hope it dies here. If it doesn't then I am hoping they kick M Night to the curb. I am going to be writing a lengthy email to Paramount now. To make the point!

Twisted-Alien

[54]Jul 7, 2010
    • level: 73

shadowclone7290 wrote:
    I've seen all three of these movies and Avatar the last Airbender was WAY better the DBE and Eragon both of those movies caused mass fan suicide around the world this movies had some problems but we still have two more movies and hopefully it should get better with age... let's hope

Well, at least with DBE people knew it was going to be terrible. Even the trailers and commercials weren't covering up the fact that this was not going to be a faithful adaptation. For me, I enjoyed it better than Avatar because at least with DBE you could consistently laugh at how bad it was. In fact, I think there are some good rifftrax available for it. With Avatar, all the trailers and commercials took the only good scenes from the movie and pasted them together, making it feel like some epic/amazing movie. It reminds me of another movie that ticked me off with their clever marketing tricks, The Bridge of Terabithia (sp.), which made it out to be like another Narnia movie when in reality it turned out that all the fighting scenes, the two of them that existed, were already in the commercials and the rest of the movie was a boring and severely depressing experience. Avatar was bad, but there were only a few things that were so bad that they were funny, the rest of the movie was boring, erratic, and confusing.

tico1125 wrote:

What I am afraid is that the next movie will not properly cover Toph and the Earth bending lessons. I am even betting that they will cut Ba Sing Se. Think about it. They killed a major point in the story. Firebenders get their power from the Sun. They make fire without a source because of the sun. Hence the plot line of the solar eclipse. Well if they don't need the sun to make fire, then what would be the point to have a solar eclipse. No point to running to Ba Sing Se to tell the Earth King of a coming solar eclipse. In one sense they can continue with it similar to the way the moon helps waterbenders, but then it would make little sense.

True, but I'm thinking that they will still address it since the master of foreshadowing (and by master of foreshadowing I mean someone who has the villain mention the Ancient Library almost every time he has a scene) alluded to the Ancient Library, so I'm thinking they will still visit it and learn something useful. My guess is that it will be the same as with the waterbenders as you pointed out. The Eclipse will probably negate their ability to bend the existing fire, which is pretty much the same thing, but he still should have addressed it anyways.

tico1125

[55]Jul 7, 2010

Ok all, here is the contact page I used to put in the complaint. Viacom is the parent company. If we overload them, then maybe a change will be made.

http://www.viacom.com/Contact/Pages/default.aspx

However, as I pointed out earlier, this movie cost them $150 million and so far they are only at $69.3. I have a feeling that this movie is going to die completely before them making back their costs. We may actually be seeing the end of M. Night's career because no studio would be willing to shell out a ton of money for another epic failure.

Edited on 07/07/2010 1:33pm

tico1125

[56]Jul 7, 2010

Twisted-Alien wrote:

shadowclone7290 wrote:

Well, at least with DBE people knew it was going to be terrible. Even the trailers and commercials weren't covering up the fact that this was not going to be a faithful adaptation. For me, I enjoyed it better than Avatar because at least with DBE you could consistently laugh at how bad it was. In fact, I think there are some good rifftrax available for it. With Avatar, all the trailers and commercials took the only good scenes from the movie and pasted them together, making it feel like some epic/amazing movie. It reminds me of another movie that ticked me off with their clever marketing tricks, The Bridge of Terabithia (sp.), which made it out to be like another Narnia movie when in reality it turned out that all the fighting scenes, the two of them that existed, were already in the commercials and the rest of the movie was a boring and severely depressing experience. Avatar was bad, but there were only a few things that were so bad that they were funny, the rest of the movie was boring, erratic, and confusing.

tico1125 wrote:

What I am afraid is that the next movie will not properly cover Toph and the Earth bending lessons. I am even betting that they will cut Ba Sing Se. Think about it. They killed a major point in the story. Firebenders get their power from the Sun. They make fire without a source because of the sun. Hence the plot line of the solar eclipse. Well if they don't need the sun to make fire, then what would be the point to have a solar eclipse. No point to running to Ba Sing Se to tell the Earth King of a coming solar eclipse. In one sense they can continue with it similar to the way the moon helps waterbenders, but then it would make little sense.

True, but I'm thinking that they will still address it since the master of foreshadowing (and by master of foreshadowing I mean someone who has the villain mention the Ancient Library almost every time he has a scene) alluded to the Ancient Library, so I'm thinking they will still visit it and learn something useful. My guess is that it will be the same as with the waterbenders as you pointed out. The Eclipse will probably negate their ability to bend the existing fire, which is pretty much the same thing, but he still should have addressed it anyways.

Very good point about the library. I forgot about Zhao constantly bragging about it. That is how bad the movie was. I don't remember some of these details. With the show, I can remember conversations and practically the lines of the episodes transcripts. This movie, I couldn't bare the poor dialogue. See the sun as their power source can be the factor like you said above. It just feels like it would be lame. I mean, someone even said it that a major flaw with firebenders needing a source is that waterbenders could have easily beaten them by putting out all their torches.

Another thing I noticed about the firebending was that each time it was used a piece of their source disappeared. Example, Zuko surrounded himself with a ring of fire to bend at Katara. When he threw the a fireball a piece of the ring disappeared. So what happens when they run out of fire to bend? Firebender says, "Oh sorry. Can I call a timeout while my soldiers send me another fireball?" Waterbender replies, "No timeouts in war!" Firebender looks around nervously and sees he is out numbered, "Oh this isn't a war, it is just us playing with you guys. I just want to be your friend. I was just throwing the fire so we can make some Smores and sing Kumbaya..." LAME!!!!

Hey, how do you beat the fire nation in M Night's movie? Apparently put out the torch.Tongue out

In the show, they were more of a threat because of the limitless source of fire. The Comet makes their fire creation bigger/strong not gives them the ability to use their own Chi. Oh yeah, 3 years and the comet is coming. So within 3 years, they can't go and blow out all of their torches and birthday candles in the fire nation? ROFLMAO!!!!

Edited on 07/07/2010 2:39pm

SokkaAppa

[57]Jul 7, 2010
    tico1125 wrote:
    Well the whole spirit thing made me throw up in my mouth. He is slowly decapitating the plot of the story with his changes.

As for the bending, yeah that was too ridiculous! I mean, in the show, every movement affected the element. It wasn't ten moves for one action with water... Another thing that had me laughing was the fight between Zuko and Aang at the end. They got into a FIST FIGHT!!!! WTH!?!?!?!?!? Zuko can throw fireballs and Aang can blow him into a wall, but they end up wrestling on the floor?

So I was doing some quick research and found that the total budget on this movie was $150 million. They have made $69.3 million so far. If the movie doesn't recoup the cost and then some, there will not be a 2nd and 3rd movie. So in a sense, I hope it dies here. If it doesn't then I am hoping they kick M Night to the curb. I am going to be writing a lengthy email to Paramount now. To make the point!

I don't want it to die though but i want it to be changed. I hope there is a second movie but I just dont want Knight to be directing it. Thanks for email address.

tico1125

[58]Jul 7, 2010
    SokkaAppa wrote:
    tico1125 wrote:

I don't want it to die though but i want it to be changed. I hope there is a second movie but I just dont want Knight to be directing it. Thanks for email address.

You're welcome

yummyone2005

[59]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 1

Where was Mike and Bryan throughout the making of this film? Surely they would have seen the mess this guy was making. I really can't believe he got away with the changes he made... the names urrrrgggghhhh the names, 1st they pronounce sokka, soak-a then aang, ung (ok I understand that one). The bullet point presentation of the movie???? (went here, then here, then there WTF!)movie length - too short, far too short! If you didn't know anything about the cartoon you'd be there scratching your head wondering what the hell was going on. As the creator's Mike and Bryan should have written the script, they know the world of the Avatar inside out. I just knew Shyamalan was going to wreck it from the moment they announced it. Poor form.

yummyone2005

[60]Jul 8, 2010
    • level: 1

The Last Airbender has made 74 million so far, just under half of which is going to the theatre owners, I know it's early days but this isn't looking good for the rest of the books. So far it hasn't opened internationally

the link, if you're curious

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastairbender.htm

tico1125

[61]Jul 8, 2010
    yummyone2005 wrote:

The Last Airbender has made 74 million so far, just under half of which is going to the theatre owners, I know it's early days but this isn't looking good for the rest of the books. So far it hasn't opened internationally

the link, if you're curious

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=lastairbender.htm

I have a feeling that it may not do well internationally. I say this because I actually watched 2 Asian women with a little girl leave about half way through the movie. I think they may have been insulted. M. Night is going to be slapping the Asian community more in the face I think with his movie. Not just because of the casting but because of the writing. See I think the Bryan and Mike did a large amount of research when they made the show. They tried very hard to bring out the Asian feel. Hence why the Asian community liked the show.

It might make something in Europe to bring about the next 2 books, but who knows. I think people may be reading our reviews and won't go watch it. It would be nice if they remade the movie with a better director, but that will only happen 30 years from now when someone wants to remake old movies. Lol.