We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official The Last Airbender Movie Thread

SPDShadowRanger

[1]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 72

Since there are a bunch of threads, I've locked them. Please use this for discussion. Now, I don't care if you express your dislike or displeasure for the movie if you have it. However, don't sit here and whine and moan that it didn't follow the series 100% because new flash, adaptions like this NEVER do. Don't sit here and say stupid crap, make dumb jokes, spam, off topic posts, etc etc. It's annoying, not funny.

I'm excited, I'm seeing the movie after work tomorrow. Has anyone seen it in 3D? If so was it cool in 3D?

Edited on 07/01/2010 10:10pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

JandSman

[2]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 32
    People knew it wasn't going to be exactly like the series but it was still pretty bad just everything in general but that is just my opionion.

Bamb0o-Stick

[3]Jul 1, 2010
    • level: 13

I want to challenge Shyamalan to an Agni-Kai.

Edited on 07/01/2010 10:00pm

bl0ndi3girl18

[4]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 9
    We should all come together and write a new script and pitch it to Universal Studios.

snowprincess456

[5]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 15
    bl0ndi3girl18 wrote:
    We should all come together and write a new script and pitch it to Universal Studios.

or just have bryke write it...

BartTheGeneral

[6]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 2

I posted this earlier on a different thread but since this is the official movie topic i will repost my thoughts

I saw the midnight show, and i have to say it was pretty dissapointing. On the good side, the special affects were amazing, and alot of the scenes were very similair to that in the series, like the when aang and the blue spirit escape, that was a good scene And the Air Temples looked incredible in the movie.

But on the bad note here was a whole lot more. One of the things that got me upset was the overallpronunciation of everything. Theypronounced Avatar like aaavvatar, it sounded like they were gunna say alvacode. And they Sokka like Soaka, (as in soaked in water), they prounonced Aang similair to the way the say Avatar, and people in our theater that were clear fans of the show were literally laughing at how bad it was.

Also alot of the scenes in the show were meshed together in the movie. Yes i understand that they cant fit everything in the movie they simply dont have enough time, but the fact that they combined The Waterbending Scroll, Imprisonded, and Warriors of Kyoshi Island into about 10 minutes of the movie, the whole thing felt rushed. Oh and they Earthbenders who were imprisoned were not on a metal boat, they were in land, sorrounded by earth.

Finallythe characters just werent represented well in the film for me. Uncle Iroh was one of my favorite characters in the show, was a thing old man with dreadlocks and a slight RUSSIAN accent. And in the film you never really felt connected to thecharacters, and i could take Zhao seriously because he was Assif Mandvi from the Daily Show. Another thing i didnt like is how they basically switched the Northern and Southern Air temples, in the show he found the temple of past avatars in the southern air temple, while in the movie it was the northern, it was awful.

Also they didn't say Kataras name until the last 15 minutes of the movie!

They should have had Michael and Bryan approve!

4/10.

+ Good Visuals
    - Rushed storie
    - Laughable Acting

If you read my rant, thank you!

tico1125

[7]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 6
    I haven't seen it yet, but am planning to see it on Sunday. I am trying to check out reviews and have seen tons of negative ones. My concern is that the racebenders might be trying to sway people to not see the movie. So I am coming here to see what true fans of the show think and hoping to hear some good.

tico1125

[8]Jul 2, 2010
    BartTheGeneral wrote:

I posted this earlier on a different thread but since this is the official movie topic i will repost my thoughts

I saw the midnight show, and i have to say it was pretty dissapointing. On the good side, the special affects were amazing, and alot of the scenes were very similair to that in the series, like the when aang and the blue spirit escape, that was a good scene And the Air Temples looked incredible in the movie.

But on the bad note here was a whole lot more. One of the things that got me upset was the overallpronunciation of everything. Theypronounced Avatar like aaavvatar, it sounded like they were gunna say alvacode. And they Sokka like Soaka, (as in soaked in water), they prounonced Aang similair to the way the say Avatar, and people in our theater that were clear fans of the show were literally laughing at how bad it was.

Also alot of the scenes in the show were meshed together in the movie. Yes i understand that they cant fit everything in the movie they simply dont have enough time, but the fact that they combined The Waterbending Scroll, Imprisonded, and Warriors of Kyoshi Island into about 10 minutes of the movie, the whole thing felt rushed. Oh and they Earthbenders who were imprisoned were not on a metal boat, they were in land, sorrounded by earth.

Finallythe characters just werent represented well in the film for me. Uncle Iroh was one of my favorite characters in the show, was a thing old man with dreadlocks and a slight RUSSIAN accent. And in the film you never really felt connected to thecharacters, and i could take Zhao seriously because he was Assif Mandvi from the Daily Show. Another thing i didnt like is how they basically switched the Northern and Southern Air temples, in the show he found the temple of past avatars in the southern air temple, while in the movie it was the northern, it was awful.

Also they didn't say Kataras name until the last 15 minutes of the movie!

They should have had Michael and Bryan approve!

4/10.

+ Good Visuals
    - Rushed storie
    - Laughable Acting

If you read my rant, thank you!

Thanks for this accurate recap.

tico1125

[9]Jul 2, 2010
    I am starting to think we should all join the boycott of this movie. Not for the race issue, but just because Shamalan sounds like he tanked it and we should end his career. I mean, how can he take something that is virtually scripted for him, condense it to 1.5 hours and say, "Here you go!" To me, the movie should be 3 hours long like LotR. Fill the movie with the right amount of story and make it something spectacular. This is so frustrating!

pFalavolito

[10]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 2

I really hope they make a second movie, and if they do they should make it a little bit longer. They barely developed any of the characters, Aang didnt seem to be his happy self like he was in the show, and sokka wasnt goofy or funny at all. They didnt even mention momo's or appa's name! Iroh was the best character in the show and still the best character in the movie. I really like how they made it that only the firebending masters could create fire, which made Iroh seem more badass towards the end of the show. The effects were great, the fighting was great, but they need to develop the characters in order to make this a better movie

superSokka

[11]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 7

OMG. I could not be more disappointed. I am the biggest fan and i couldn't find anything to tell someone why it was worth watching. Ive seen the 2D and the 3D. I assure you....there is very little difference. Save your money and see it in 2D. Tico, you hit the nail on the head, everything you said. I knew MNS was gonna destroy this movie. I've said it for 3 years.

Really I could have gotten around the name changes, but he crammed 6 hours of tv show into an hour and a half of rushed, skippy, choppy mess, cant be ignored or reasoned away. Even my 8 year-old son says the storyline is rushed and awful. My friend and I took the kids to McDonalds after the movie so the kids could get Avatar toys and as they played with them, they made comments like, "Hey the toy is crappy just like the movie". lol, they weren't wrong.

tico1125

[12]Jul 2, 2010
    I have ultimately now decided after reading more commentary on various sites, that I will not be wasting my money on this movie now. I will wait a month when it comes out of DVD and ends up in the $5 stack of movies or just redbox it so I will only spend $1. Still not even sure if it would be worth the $1 even.

Please note that I am not making this conviction lightly though. I am not a "racebender" but a true fan. I so wanted this movie to work. However, after everything I have read thus far online, I think M. Night's career should go up in flames from this one. His daughters should be extremely upset with him too since he claims to have done it for them.

superSokka

[13]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 7

tico1125 wrote:
    I have ultimately now decided after reading more commentary on various sites, that I will not be wasting my money on this movie now. I will wait a month when it comes out of DVD and ends up in the $5 stack of movies or just redbox it so I will only spend $1. Still not even sure if it would be worth the $1 even. Please note that I am not making this conviction lightly though. I am not a "racebender" but a true fan. I so wanted this movie to work. However, after everything I have read thus far online, I think M. Night's career should go up in flames from this one. His daughters should be extremely upset with him too since he claims to have done it for them.
    You wont be missing much. I forgot to metion earlier that i thought it was really lame that we didnt get to see any of the Avatar worlds animals. "Soakka" was tracking a tigerseal, but you never get to see it. Other animals are metioned, but none are shown. I was really looking forward to seeing a turtleduck or something....it never comes though. Also, I know its small, but i wanted to see the cabbage man. He would have at the very least would have distracted me for moment away from the reality of how terriable the movie was with a quick chuckle.

edmasterchaos

[14]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 41
    The movie is just a big meh, if you got the money to spend, then go ahead. But, yeah, could've been way better and talked more than it showed...

Pablo_808

[15]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 14
    Well, it's a good thing I saved my money to just rent it on my PSN when it comes out. Even after all I heard, I'm still gonna give the time and day to watch it. I most likely won't enjoy it, but if I could watch Dragonball: Evolution, I can watch anything and laugh at how terrible it is..

edmasterchaos

[16]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 41
    Whoa whoa whoa, it's got flaws yeah, but it's not Dragon Ball Evolution bad .-.

Eman5805

[17]Jul 2, 2010
    Posted it elsewhere, may as well post it here:

*bursts through door*

I'm Luke Skywalker and I'm-

*cut to new scene*

Luke, I'm your-

*cut to new scene*

*Death Star explodes*

*credits roll*

And that, my friends, is what would happen if M. Night directed the Star Wars trilogy.

tico1125

[18]Jul 2, 2010
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    I've heard worse. I've hear Eragon bad.

Pablo_808

[20]Jul 2, 2010

edmasterchaos wrote:

That's how bad it is from what I've been catching wind of. Hell, I even heard its Street Fighter bad. :/