We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

The Official The Last Airbender Movie Thread

katrah88

[21]Jul 2, 2010
    • level: 11
    Hmmm... I think it was a bit unnecessary to lock the original thread for the live action film (unless, there's a rule that all pinned threads MUST have the word "official" in it's title to be taken seriously). Meh, I guess I could add on to what I mentioned in the other one in this one. As I've yet to actually take the time out to give my full review (it'll come eventually) I'll just say this film was a gorgeous poorly written film. Leave your logic, observance, and thoughts at the concession stand. It is then and only then that you can begin to enjoy the movie.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

CancerTheCrab

[22]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 16

I expected that the movie was going to be bad, but it surpassed my exceptions. Never expected it to be that bad. Really I couldnt get over the name changes. it was a tv show! its not like they werent sure how it was supposed to be pronounced. That really was just one thing that I couldnt understand why they would change. But i would still like people to go see the movie because i would like a second one to be made.

bl0ndi3girl18

[23]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 9

I'm gonna see it next week, since my cousin still realllyyy realllyyyy wants to see it.

wow finally a GOOD review!!! lol

Edited on 07/03/2010 5:51am

Reef_Raider

[24]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 18

superSokka wrote:

tico1125 wrote:
    I have ultimately now decided after reading more commentary on various sites, that I will not be wasting my money on this movie now. I will wait a month when it comes out of DVD and ends up in the $5 stack of movies or just redbox it so I will only spend $1. Still not even sure if it would be worth the $1 even. Please note that I am not making this conviction lightly though. I am not a "racebender" but a true fan. I so wanted this movie to work. However, after everything I have read thus far online, I think M. Night's career should go up in flames from this one. His daughters should be extremely upset with him too since he claims to have done it for them.
    You wont be missing much. I forgot to metion earlier that i thought it was really lame that we didnt get to see any of the Avatar worlds animals. "Soakka" was tracking a tigerseal, but you never get to see it. Other animals are metioned, but none are shown. I was really looking forward to seeing a turtleduck or something....it never comes though. Also, I know its small, but i wanted to see the cabbage man. He would have at the very least would have distracted me for moment away from the reality of how terriable the movie was with a quick chuckle.

Tico you have the right idea, I went and saw it in 3Dlast night with my little sister, the total cost for just the movie tickets was $27!! And although some of the effects were cool, they didn't use the 3D effects enough to justify payin any extra money.

SuperSokka I thought the same thing about the animals, that wasbig part of Avatar and they were really lacking there. Also they didn't just not show the cabbage man, but they completely left out ANY HUMORwhat so ever. Avatar as a series was full of it, the show had a great balance of serious scenes and comic relief. Whereas I think I may have chuckled once or twice during the entire movie.

earthqueenazula

[25]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 2

For me the story flowed much better the second time I watched it. The first time, I was waiting for different characters, or thinking thats not how it was in the show. The second time I was able to just watch the movie. This is probably why the people who didn't see the show enjoyed the movie, while fans of the show were disappointed. As fans we were all saying "Aang gets waterbending right away, thats not right", but then at the end we find out he had to open his water chakra before he could master waterbending. Thats a change I'm ok with, but it interfered with how I enjoyed the movie the first time. Another example was waiting for the Kyoshi warriors. I was sure they were in the movie. There was even a movie poster with Suki. By time they got to the North Pole, and there was no Suki I was disappointed (MNS has already said she will be in the second movie though).

Everyone, please give this movie a chance. The first movie in a series isn't usually the best. Look at Harry Potter, Twilight, and Star Wars episode 1. If we don't want this great story to end, then we have to support it. Do what i did, go see the movie, let all the changes soak in, and then go see it again. Besides, if the reviews for the movie are bad, but the money is still there. chances are they'll oust MNS as director and hire someone new.

edmasterchaos

[26]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 41
    CancerTheCrab wrote:

I expected that the movie was going to be bad, but it surpassed my exceptions. Never expected it to be that bad. Really I couldnt get over the name changes. it was a tv show! its not like they werent sure how it was supposed to be pronounced. That really was just one thing that I couldnt understand why they would change. But i would still like people to go see the movie because i would like a second one to be made.

Because in the tv series they had to mispronounced it for the little kids. The movie offers how they should have been pronounced all along.

SPDShadowRanger

[27]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 72

So in the first post when I said do make stupid comparison between the series and movie....I take that back.

Really, when you have 6-7 hours of footage to use it's just dumb to skip some things. Plus, why did he choose to pronounce the names wrong? Crazy guy. I'm a huge fan of Avatar, but towards the end of the movie I was looking forward for it to be over. I'm glad I went to an early showing and only had to pay $3 for my ticket lol.

One of the biggest things that made me mad was Ozai. He was suppose to be this mysterious tyrant, and he wasn't. Something tell me that the next two movies might not even surface.

16ds

[28]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 7
    I didn't even seen the movie but I read movie reviews, and people were disappointed. I figured much after what happened to dragon ball. Maybe movies that is based on cartoons should leave it just as that.

edmasterchaos

[29]Jul 3, 2010
    I know it's the current fashion trend, but i think the second book needs to be split in two movies, first one to work with introducing Suki and some details the first movie had to remove, though it'd be hard to make a proper climax without taking too much of the second part (Mostly Ba Sing Se and getting to it without Appa IMO) I mean, Book 1 had more expendable stuff, while Book 2 is much more packed with important stuff...

SPDShadowRanger

[30]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 72
    If Book 1 was horribly compacted I don't even want to known what Book 2 and Book 3 would look like.

CancerTheCrab

[31]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 16
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    CancerTheCrab wrote:

Because in the tv series they had to mispronounced it for the little kids. The movie offers how they should have been pronounced all along.

the way they pronounced it in the movie would not have been hard for kids, especially when it would have been said so much. how do you know that it was supposed to be pronounced like that all along?

edmasterchaos

[32]Jul 3, 2010
    CancerTheCrab wrote:
    edmasterchaos wrote:
    CancerTheCrab wrote:

the way they pronounced it in the movie would not have been hard for kids, especially when it would have been said so much. how do you know that it was supposed to be pronounced like that all along?
    Found it in some interviews a while ago, if you want i can look 'em up

Twisted-Alien

[33]Jul 3, 2010
    • level: 73

Reef_Raider wrote:

Tico you have the right idea, I went and saw it in 3Dlast night with my little sister, the total cost for just the movie tickets was $27!! And although some of the effects were cool, they didn't use the 3D effects enough to justify payin any extra money.

SuperSokka I thought the same thing about the animals, that wasbig part of Avatar and they were really lacking there. Also they didn't just not show the cabbage man, but they completely left out ANY HUMORwhat so ever. Avatar as a series was full of it, the show had a great balance of serious scenes and comic relief. Whereas I think I may have chuckled once or twice during the entire movie.

Well, I wouldn't go as far as to say there wasn't any humor. In fact, the movie was full of humor. We had the Earth bender foot-stomping parade, the one earth bender that did two minutes worth of rapid movements just to move one small stone, the Katara vs. Zuko fight that looked like it came straight out of a Pokemon game, the fact that Aang (or Ong...whatever) told Zuko that they could be friends right after he tried to take him prisoner for the second time (more for the movie goers who never saw "The Blue Spirit" where he tells him that after being rescued by him, honestly I heard a woman scream out "Are you serious!" followed by a big laugh). So there's humor.

I haven't made my review yet like many of you, but what I find most dissapointing is the fact that some of the best scenes, mostly fighting scenes, were already shown in the trailers and commercials. Not that not seeing those would have made a big difference, but I felt like I would have been more satisfied just watching the commercials and making up the rest of the movie in my head.

earthqueenazula

[34]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 2
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    If Book 1 was horribly compacted I don't even want to known what Book 2 and Book 3 would look like.

Remember, Books one two and three are all part of one story. It seems the first movie was all about setting up the world they live in. Movies 2 and 3 are going to have more character development. Besides, I'd imagine that it'd be hard to make a movie based on a season of television. The story is made up of many different adventures, as opposed to a book that is one continual story. So making a movie based on a TV show takes a lot more streamlining than a movie based on a book. There were many things that I did not like about the movie either, but come on everyone. lets cut him some slack. Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone was awful, as well as Twilight and New Moon (havent seen the 3rd one and dont want to). But those movies still did well because they both have amazing fans. I really hope fans of Avatar are just as die hard.

superSokka

[35]Jul 4, 2010

earthqueenazula wrote:
    SPDShadowRanger wrote:
    Remember, Books one two and three are all part of one story. It seems the first movie was all about setting up the world they live in. Movies 2 and 3 are going to have more character development. Besides, I'd imagine that it'd be hard to make a movie based on a season of television. The story is made up of many different adventures, as opposed to a book that is one continual story. So making a movie based on a TV show takes a lot more streamlining than a movie based on a book. There were many things that I did not like about the movie either, but come on everyone. lets cut him some slack. Harry Potter and the sorcerers stone was awful, as well as Twilight and New Moon (havent seen the 3rd one and dont want to). But those movies still did well because they both have amazing fans. I really hope fans of Avatar are just as die hard.
    Ok heres the problem with that. There wont be time for back story in a Book 2 movie for characters from the Book 1 movie because they'll need that time for character developement for the new characters in Book 2. The problem here is that M.N.S. packed a 6 hour long season into an hour and a half long movie....he needed an extra hour. In that extra hour there could have been time for character developement and introduced the Keyoshi Warriors. Book 2 should introduce Azula, Toph, Mae, Tylee, and everyone afiliated with Ba Sing S

Twisted-Alien

[36]Jul 4, 2010
    • level: 73

Wow, now I really feel concernedfor the people who haven't seen the show before watching this movie. This video reviewpretty much summed up the anger that came from quite a few people from my theatre. And yes, there is some harsh language in the review. But then again, I can understand where he's coming from. Thanks to this movie, people like Angry Joe as well as many others will think Avatar is a terrible show, which is just wrong on so many levels. I've been trying to find something good to say about this movie, but after each day, and after watching reviews like this, I just can't keep it up anymore.

Spazdog

[37]Jul 4, 2010

I can't say how bad the movie is til I see it. I nothing good be bad as that abomination known as the dragonball movie

mechtrogdor

[38]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 1
    tico1125 wrote:
    I am starting to think we should all join the boycott of this movie.

Thats exactly what I'm doing, my friend. I have been a fan of this show since about a month after it came out. Best show ever. No questions. I watch at least three episodes a day, and I've seen every episode about 30-40 times(no exaggeration here). When I heard they were making a movie, i thought, "Oh, this might be fun to watch". The first time i saw the commercial, I almost had a heart attack. Then on I new it would be a screw up. Anyway, I have told all my friends that watch the show to not see the movie. I know it doesn't really hurt hollywood at all, but I feel that if I watched the entire movie, I would slit my throat because it was so bad.

To be honest, I'm afraid to see the movie because of the reviews and the previews. I do not watch this movie to destroy my love for the show, so I will never watch it.

Summary: I thought after Eragon, the American cinema couldn't get any worse. I guess it can.

shadowysea07

[39]Jul 5, 2010
    • level: 25

bad movie was bad kayy.

there was nothing redeeming about this movie at all kay. i shall ignore the existance of it and the next two to save teh series some dignity kay. now back into hibernation until the next series is out

edmasterchaos

[40]Jul 5, 2010
    Bad movie was... not so bad, you've gotta ignore all your "That's not how it should work!" thoughts, but otherwise, it's an okay thing that supports avatar, so that's good enough for money wasting. IMO.