We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

OFFICIAL "SOZIN'S COMET" THE BOOK thread *POSSIBLY MASSIVE SPOILERS*

fatsomama

[81]May 13, 2008
    • level: 6
    First off, why is it so terrible to read the spoilers? How many of you watch episodes of Avatar over and over again, even though you already knew what was going to happen? If seeing it for the first time is the only climactic feeling you get out of this beautiful series, I'd say it's not going to take you long to forget about it after it's all over.

Now...I read the book spoilers and personally I was a little leery. I think the shipping stuff sounds spot on, and the showdowns that are mentioned. The spiritbending stuff sounds a little hammy, but who knows.

There is also what...two episodes between where we are right now and the finale? That's plenty of space for some more loose ends to get tied up that haven't been mentioned in the spoilers. The finale might be much more detailed on TV as well, 70 pages is not very much literature.

So in closing, the spoilers don't really ruin anything and there is plenty more about the final episodes that we still don't know.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

picaboomman

[82]May 13, 2008
    • level: 18
    because dude...this is the finale! this is it! this one last thing and no new episodes of avatar. no more speculating on whats going to happen next. no more ships. no more fan service. no more ty lee. no more crazy noob threads. no more commercials for new episodes. no more fan service. no more ty lee. no more ningabewbs!

DannyPhantom4

[83]May 13, 2008
    • level: 11
    fatsomama wrote:
    First off, why is it so terrible to read the spoilers? How many of you watch episodes of Avatar over and over again, even though you already knew what was going to happen? If seeing it for the first time is the only climactic feeling you get out of this beautiful series, I'd say it's not going to take you long to forget about it after it's all over.

Now...I read the book spoilers and personally I was a little leery. I think the shipping stuff sounds spot on, and the showdowns that are mentioned. The spiritbending stuff sounds a little hammy, but who knows.

There is also what...two episodes between where we are right now and the finale? That's plenty of space for some more loose ends to get tied up that haven't been mentioned in the spoilers. The finale might be much more detailed on TV as well, 70 pages is not very much literature.

So in closing, the spoilers don't really ruin anything and there is plenty more about the final episodes that we still don't know.
    Agreed!

piranhapete

[84]May 13, 2008
    picaboomman wrote:
    because dude...this is the finale! this is it! this one last thing and no new episodes of avatar. no more speculating on whats going to happen next. no more ships. no more fan service. no more ty lee. no more crazy noob threads. no more commercials for new episodes. no more fan service. no more ty lee. no more ningabewbs!

The 61 amazing episodes we've been given aren't going anywhere. Ever heard of DVD's? Start being more materialistic.

xRamensx

[85]May 13, 2008

picaboomman wrote:

I take it you like Ty Lee?

But there's always fanfics, and fanart. I know it's not the same. No where near the same. But sometimes it helps.

Ninjabewbs FTW! Oh, and have you heard of the Giant Knockers Crackship? Jin Lee FTW!

WiseLad

[86]May 13, 2008
    • level: 14
    I got mine 3 days ago at borders, you might have to ask a worker to get it from the back if the computer says "it might be available"

omg350

[87]May 13, 2008
    • level: 8
    WiseLad wrote:
    I got mine 3 days ago at borders, you might have to ask a worker to get it from the back if the computer says "it might be available"

was there anything interesting in it?

WiseLad

[88]May 13, 2008
    omg350 wrote:
    WiseLad wrote:

was there anything interesting in it?

where? in the book or in the back?

if it is the back, I didn't go there, I had to wait for worker to bring it to me(the book)

if it is the book, most of the stuff are in this thread (Links and spoiler tags)

clifton13

[89]May 14, 2008
    • level: 6

If this is how the finale ends...... I will never watch avatar again.

picaboomman

[90]May 14, 2008
    i think it might not be the full episode. we knw that it is called sozin's comet from the interview, but one of the questions said: Waterbenders were pretty powerfull overall, as the episodes the swamp and the Dark side of the moon..."wtf is the dark side of the moon? and when they asked what type of bender you would be, Bryan said he would be a tarbender?? was that a joke? it didnt sound like it. the finale will have much more. this i can promise even though i have no sources. the book said it had stills from the episodes, but i mean it was nothing what the reall animationg would look that. there wasnt enough character development. im sure the finale will have way more! so for all you people out there saying it sucked, suck it up. it wasnt he final thing. it showed a lot of things that might be in the finale, but there was mroe stuff than that of course. and remmeber, adapt means change/alter.

picaboomman

[91]May 14, 2008

***SPOILER***

xRamensx

[92]May 14, 2008

picaboomman wrote:
    i think it might not be the full episode. we knw that it is called sozin's comet from the interview, but one of the questions said: Waterbenders were pretty powerfull overall, as the episodes the swamp and the Dark side of the moon..."wtf is the dark side of the moon? and when they asked what type of bender you would be, Bryan said he would be a tarbender?? was that a joke? it didnt sound like it. the finale will have much more. this i can promise even though i have no sources. the book said it had stills from the episodes, but i mean it was nothing what the reall animationg would look that. there wasnt enough character development. im sure the finale will have way more! so for all you people out there saying it sucked, suck it up. it wasnt he final thing. it showed a lot of things that might be in the finale, but there was mroe stuff than that of course. and remmeber, adapt means change/alter.

Exactically! I'm tired of people moaning "Oh! The book sucks, so the episodes are going to suck! D:" How little faith in Bryke do you have?! Christmas on a cracker! I have no doubt in my mind that the finale will be the most epic of that is epic!

Look at the S1 finale; epic. S2; epic, with a face heel turn. S3 finale and grand finale; so effin' epic it'll be too much for our simple, human brains to comprehend. (I'm exaggerating a bit, of course, but still.. it's going to be awesome)

It saddens me deeply when I hear someone Bryke bash. If you are so quick to attack the creators of this awesome show just because you didn't like what you heard in a children's adaptation of a finale not even completed yet (or at least when the book was written) then you are not deemed worthy of being called an Avatar fan.

picaboomman

[93]May 14, 2008
    xRamensx wrote:

picaboomman wrote:

Exactically! I'm tired of people moaning "Oh! The book sucks, so the episodes are going to suck! D:" How little faith in Bryke do you have?! Christmas on a cracker! I have no doubt in my mind that the finale will be the most epic of that is epic!

Look at the S1 finale; epic. S2; epic, with a face heel turn. S3 finale and grand finale; so effin' epic it'll be too much for our simple, human brains to comprehend. (I'm exaggerating a bit, of course, but still.. it's going to be awesome)

It saddens me deeply when I hear someone Bryke bash. If you are so quick to attack the creators of this awesome show just because you didn't like what you heard in a children's adaptation of a finale not even completed yet (or at least when the book was written) then you are not deemed worthy of being called an Avatar fan.

yeah. you know what....al you bashers of the finale....go try and make an extremely epic 2 hour finale. if you had any idea howw much time and effort it would take, then you woudnt be to quick to judge

picaboomman

[94]May 14, 2008

***SPOILER***

xRamensx

[95]May 14, 2008

***SPOILER***

Oh, BTW, Grey Delisle is probably the most awesome of the awesome VAs. Ever. She voiced this vampire or something in a video game; the voice sounds like a mixture of Frankie from "Fosters" and Azula. It's a little bit creepy because the way she talks to your character, it sounds like she's going to rape you.

"I'm the finger up your spine when the lights go out."

WiseLad

[96]May 17, 2008
    this is from a zutarian from another forum

well versed thoughts, but one where they don't accept the book and most important of all, what Bryke said at the interview
    -------------------------------------------

*Just so you know there are spoilers in this*

Ok I'm here I have done quite a lot of research regarding the validity of "Sozin's Comet" now I have not yet read the comic book but there are several of my fellow Zutarians out there who have and let me just tell you Kataang and Maiko are now even more likely not to happen. This book is not word for word scene for scene what is actually going to happen during the finale of Avatar it is an ADAPTATION meaning that something was altered in order to fit the writer's point of view of what should happen during the finale. Will most of what is in this book happen in the show yes that's true but there are some things that are more likely not to happen.

First of all Ursa never pops up once in the finale except as a hallucination, the creators said that Zuko would at least go looking for Ursa at some point and that doesn't happen in the book and we all know that the creators wouldn't leave us wondering about what happened that night that Ursa was banished and committed "treasonous acts" so what does that mean? This book was written for children of ages 6-10 that's a fact therefore the things that a child would not understand are not included in this book so Ursa is completely cut out as an actual character because a child should not be reading about how she committed murder.
    Also Ursa is of course a big factor for Zutara and is a major source of bonding between Zuko and Katara. And it is for these reasons that she is cut from the book but I strongly believe that she will in fact appear in the show.

The Order of the White Lotus doesn't really matter that much in the book and there isn't a very good explanation of it nor does it play a very big role in the book. I think this will be different in the show.

Now there is a ton of Zutara in the book but it is all incredibly toned down and purposely cut to the bare essentials. Now why is that? Because the writer of this book obviously wanted to write a book devoid of Zutara that ended up with Kataang in the end but I'll come to that later. Now the little kids who read this book and watch Avatar would obviously not understand Zutara or really care about shipping. This book is written for kids and therefore it portrays the typical happy ending at the end with the ships devoid of complexity and it cuts Zutara down to a bare minimum. There is no mention of the Zutara ninja mission in this book so that was an obviously cut Zutara moment. Also Jun pops up again yet she never refers to Katara as Zuko's girlfriend as we all suspected she would. Zuko and Katara do a lot of bonding in this book they even fight Azula together and Zuko saves Katara's life and Katara heals him. Also what I think to be the greatest Zutara moment ever in the book is that Iroh himself ships Zutara and as Zuko and Katara run away together to go face Azula Iroh thinks that Zuko and Katara would make a good match. Ok now the voice of wisdom in the show who gives the best advice ships Zutara and nothing comes of it?! I think not! Everything said between Zuko and Katara is cut down to very brief words exchanged between them because the writer does want to show Zutara at the end.

Now with the ending of Kataang and Maiko ending up happening there is no reason for it at all and it just happens. It is a very awkward ending that isn't as climatic as it ought to be and many Avatar fans were disappointed by this fact. Aang goes into the Avatar state and doesn't have to give up anything at all it just happens and there is no struggle no sacrifice for him in the end. There is nothing leading up to Kataang happening in the book and it just happens all of a sudden in the end and it doesn't make any sense. Why is this? What could account for the disappointing and anticlimactic ending in the book? It is because that is what the writer chose to really change: the ending. This book is a way of showing a perfect Kataang and Maiko ending when it will not in fact happen in the show. The creators said that all ships would be satisfied with the ending of the series. How could that be if the ending of the book is in fact what is going to happen in the show? I sure wouldn't be satisfied as a Zutarian. But wait a second what if this book is just a conciliation for Kataangers and Maikoists? What if on the show Zutara happens and this book is just a way of showing how Avatar would end with Kataang and Maiko as the prevailing ships?
    Little kids would never be able to grasp Zutara but they can grasp Kataang and Maiko and it is therefore plausible that the writer of this book would change the outcome of the ships in order to fit the book's audience.

As I said before this book is an ADAPTATION of what is really going during the Avatar finale. The guy who wrote the book is called the book's adapter not the book's writer. This means for a fact that things in this book are different from how they will be on the show. For example Wicked was an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz as was the movie "Tin Man" and both of those adaptations were very different from the original. Do I think that this book is going to be that different from what happens on the show? No of course not, but I do think that there will be some big differences between the two and their plots.

Now to address the interview with the creators that is printed after the story. This interview is of course the source of the greatest concern for Zutarians because in it the creators denounce Zutara outright. Here is a copy of the first question and the creators' answer:

Q: There were several allusions to Katara being Zuko's girlfriend throughout Season Three. Aside from Uncle Iroh, she seemed to be the first person to see the potential good in Zuko. Was there ever a spark between the two? Was there ever a point which you thought they would end up together?

M: Sorry to disappoint the "Zutara" fans out there, but we never intended for Zuko and Katara to get together. Maybe we're just sentimental, but we always had a soft spot in our hearts for "Kataang".
    B: Zuko and Katara might have shared some sparks, but sometimes there are people along your "journey of love" who are there to teach you about yourself and what you really need, but don't necessarily end up being your partner. Come on, kids! "Zutara" never would have lasted! It was just dark and intriguing.

First of all when was there ever an allusion of Katara being Zuko's girlfriend in season three? I'm a pretty devote Zutarian and even I didn't see any. This question doesn't really make any sense. Then Bryan outright denounces Zutara at least Mike was considerate to the Zutarians and I would believe his response but does it really sound like one of the creators to blatantly bash a ship? The creators have been very careful when it comes to ships and I doubt that they'd do this at this point. And also how is Zutara really that dark? In comparison to Azula going insane, Ursa killing Zuko's grandfather, Ozai trying to kill his own son, and of course Maiko how on earth could Zutara be considered dark? What does all of this lead me to believe? I don't think that this question is real or at least it isn't meant for Zutara. If you take out Zutara and put in Maiko in Bryan's response or in the original question it makes a lot more sense.
    Look at this phrase: "sometimes there are people along your 'journey of love' who are there to teach you about yourself and what you really need, but don't necessarily end up being your partner" now doesn't that sound like a perfect way of describing either Kataang or Maiko instead of Zutara?
    A thing to think about with this question is that it is meant to appease the children who are reading this book. This explains why Bryan says, "come on kids" because it doesn't make sense to refer to Zutarians as kids since polls have proven that Zutarians are mostly 15 and up not kids. This question is intended to prove to kids that Zutara doesn't really happen in this book in order to make things simple for them after they watch a Zutara ending on the show. It is possible that this entire question and interview is made up of course but I'll come to that later.

Another concerning question is about Sokka. Here is the question and the creators response:

Q: Why did Sokka lose his space sword and his boomerang at the end?

M: That's why that scene is so great! These are just ordinary objects, but over the course of the series Sokka (and viewers) have formed an emotional connection to them. So when he loses them in order to save Toph, it really feels like a sacrifice. And in an epic finale, it's more satisfying when the characters have to sacrifice something in order to achieve their goals.
    B: Yeah, I would rather be alive and save my friend than have a sword and a boomerang!

Now look at that line "And in an epic finale, it's more satisfying when the characters have to sacrifice something in order to achieve their goals." This is very true it is more satisfying but are you trying to tell me that the only sacrifice that happens during the course of the whole finale is Sokka giving up his sword and boomerang? What about Aang? His struggle defeating the fire lord should be the main focus so what sacrifice does Aang have to make in order make the finale satisfying? None, that's right absolutely none. Aang goes into the Avatar state no problem and he doesn't even have to let Katara go there isn't even any mention of Katara concerning his transformation into the Avatar state so it wasn't even his love for her that lets him do it he is just able to do it without any struggle and defeats the fire lord without any sacrifice. Not very satisfying. But what if we applied that phrase to Aang having to give up Katara in the end? Then we see how the finale would be more satisfying if Aang has to make a sacrifice in the end.

All of these questions in the interview shouldn't be taken as literal questions to be interpreted as direct statements from the creators to the entire Avatar audience. The only people intended to read this interview are little kids so that is who these questions are meant for. These answers and questions should be looked at for their symbolic value.

There is a chance that this entire interview is fake because the majority of the questions and answers in this interview are simply cut and pated from the interviews the creators have done in the past. Seriously most of the creators responses to these questions are word for word how they answered them in past interviews and the chances of that actually happening are very unlikely. So the entire interview could have just been made up for the book in order to appease the book's child readers.

In conclusion it is important to remember that the creators have been nothing but the model of careful when it came to giving anything away or releasing any spoilers. So why would they let a book that gives away the entire ending of Avatar be published right before the Avatar finale? Answer: they wouldn't.

I hope I made my points clear there are other Zutarians on other sites who have done a much better job then I when it comes to explaining how seeriously we should actual take this book.
    -----------------------------

rockon45

[97]May 17, 2008
    • level: 15
    I would quote that, but I had difficulty keeping up with what you said...well, nice word wall, I guess.

PsychoPass

[99]May 17, 2008
    I wonder if Azula and Ozai are going to get the "Long Feng treatment" if you know what I mean.

DannyPhantom4

[100]May 17, 2008
    Does anyone want to download the book? :p