We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

OFFICIAL "SOZIN'S COMET" THE BOOK thread *POSSIBLY MASSIVE SPOILERS*

goodgirl528

[101]May 17, 2008
    • level: 13
    can someone scan the kataang scene
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

omg350

[102]May 21, 2008
    • level: 8

Where is the best place to get it ?

(At stores, not online)

WiseLad

[103]May 21, 2008
    • level: 14
    borders for sure(is where I GOT IT)

barnes and nobles is another option

most book stores should have it by now, as it is already may 20th, the official release date

isabelwhatx

[104]May 21, 2008
    I don't want to read the 1-6 pages, so I'm sorry if this topic has been passed by. This sounds like the stupidest idea I've ever heard. It's going to completely ruin the finale. Sadly, reading something as epic as Avatar doesn't even compare to watching, which is quite unique. I will NOT spoil the finale for myself, and therefore am waiting. I can't believe this idea was even PROPOSED, let alone confirmed and published.

mangafreak5000

[105]May 21, 2008

This is your spoiler warning. If you do not wished to be spoiled, stop reading now. NOW.

So, anyway, I am slightly disappointed with the book. However, I have faith that Mike and Bryan will be sure to fill in some of the gaps. We still have The Southern Raiders, which will have Zuko and Katara in their ni nja gear. (Go to avatarspirit.net and look at the still photos from the high def trailer, there is the shot with Katara bending someone else onto a block of ice and speeding away. On one of the stills you can see Zuko's scar.) However, I hope that the scene with Azula vs. Zuko and Katara is an adaption. Zuko has been becoming stronger and stronger throughout the series, and in a way he and Azula have been rivals since childhood. I want him to be the one to kick her royal butt. I feel that he almost has exclusive rights to that battle. Azula has tormented him since they were little, and I think that a strictly Zuko vs. Azula fight would be much more emotionally charged than Katara vs. Azula. Mike and Bryan, good luck and do well!!!!!!

sqevans

[106]May 21, 2008
    • level: 5

zutaran wrote:
    this is from a zutarian from another forum

-------------------------------------------

Ok I'm here I have done quite a lot of research regarding the validity of "Sozin's Comet" now I have not yet read the comic book but there are several of my fellow Zutarians out there who have and let me just tell you Kataang and Maiko are now even more likely not to happen.

What???

zutaran wrote:
    This book is not word for word scene for scene what is actually going to happen during the finale of Avatar it is an ADAPTATION meaning that something was altered in order to fit the writer's point of view of what should happen during the finale.

It's a SUMMARY adaptation. It all happens in the TV show.

zutaran wrote:
    First of all Ursa never pops up once in the finale except as a hallucination, the creators said that Zuko would at least go looking for Ursa at some point and that doesn't happen in the book and we all know that the creators wouldn't leave us wondering about what happened that night that Ursa was banished and committed "treasonous acts" so what does that mean? This book was written for children of ages 6-10 that's a fact therefore the things that a child would not understand are not included in this book so Ursa is completely cut out as an actual character because a child should not be reading about how she committed murder.
    Also Ursa is of course a big factor for Zutara and is a major source of bonding between Zuko and Katara. And it is for these reasons that she is cut from the book but I strongly believe that she will in fact appear in the show.

Watch 316, The Southern Raiders

zutaran wrote:
    Now there is a ton of Zutara in the book but it is all incredibly toned down and purposely cut to the bare essentials. Now why is that? Because the writer of this book obviously wanted to write a book devoid of Zutara that ended up with Kataang in the end but I'll come to that later.

Ooh, conspiracy! NOT!

zutaran wrote:
    Now the little kids who read this book and watch Avatar would obviously not understand Zutara or really care about shipping. This book is written for kids and therefore it portrays the typical happy ending at the end with the ships devoid of complexity and it cuts Zutara down to a bare minimum. There is no mention of the Zutara ninja mission in this book so that was an obviously cut Zutara moment. Also Jun pops up again yet she never refers to Katara as Zuko's girlfriend as we all suspected she would.

'OMG! The writers wrote their own story, not what WE wanted!' Get over it! And ninja mission? 316 again.

zutaran wrote:
    Zuko and Katara do a lot of bonding in this book they even fight Azula together and Zuko saves Katara's life and Katara heals him. Also what I think to be the greatest Zutara moment ever in the book is that Iroh himself ships Zutara and as Zuko and Katara run away together to go face Azula Iroh thinks that Zuko and Katara would make a good match. Ok now the voice of wisdom in the show who gives the best advice ships Zutara and nothing comes of it?! I think not! Everything said between Zuko and Katara is cut down to very brief words exchanged between them because the writer does want to show Zutara at the end.

The 'adapter' cut Zutara to the bare minimum, but includes Iroh's comments? Why? Interestingly enough, this is probably the 'false material' added by the writer. He's telling the story from the point of view of the characters, and includes Iroh's thoughts about a Zuko and Katara relationship. If he had said that on the TV episode, why not just include his words? Because he doesn't say it on the TV show, that's why. (Maybe he gives a knowing wink, or something equally visual. But no comments). So the writer throws a bone to the Zutarans with that one.

zutaran wrote:
    Now with the ending of Kataang and Maiko ending up happening there is no reason for it at all and it just happens. It is a very awkward ending that isn't as climatic as it ought to be...

Again, it's a SUMMARY. The writer has to throw a lot in. The actual eps will flow better.

zutaran wrote:
    ...many Avatar fans were disappointed by this fact. Aang goes into the Avatar state and doesn't have to give up anything at all it just happens and there is no struggle no sacrifice for him in the end.

He has a moral dilemma. And lots of inexplicable things happen on the show (everyone blasts Azula and she apparently walks away unharmed at the end of The Chase; Spirits can be all-powerful (Hei Bai) or lack any real power (Painted Lady); one can travel from southern hemisphere to northern hemisphere with no change of seasons; etc.)

zutaran wrote:
    There is nothing leading up to Kataang happening in the book and it just happens all of a sudden in the end and it doesn't make any sense.

There wasn't anything leading up to the kiss in DoBS either.

zutaran wrote:
    Why is this? What could account for the disappointing and anticlimactic ending in the book? It is because that is what the writer chose to really change: the ending. This book is a way of showing a perfect Kataang and Maiko ending when it will not in fact happen in the show.

CONSPIRACY!

zutaran wrote:
    As I said before this book is an ADAPTATION of what is really going during the Avatar finale. The guy who wrote the book is called the book's adapter not the book's writer. This means for a fact that things in this book are different from how they will be on the show. For example Wicked was an adaptation of the Wizard of Oz as was the movie "Tin Man" and both of those adaptations were very different from the original.

It's a NOVELIZATION of the TV show. It's not a story 'based on' Nick's Avatar series. It IS the series!

zutaran wrote:
    All of these questions in the interview shouldn't be taken as literal questions to be interpreted as direct statements from the creators to the entire Avatar audience. The only people intended to read this interview are little kids so that is who these questions are meant for. These answers and questions should be looked at for their symbolic value.

There is a chance that this entire interview is fake because the majority of the questions and answers in this interview are simply cut and pated from the interviews the creators have done in the past. Seriously most of the creators responses to these questions are word for word how they answered them in past interviews and the chances of that actually happening are very unlikely. So the entire interview could have just been made up for the book in order to appease the book's child readers.

Hello? Delusion city calling!

Suuuurrre. It's ALL FAKE. And Rowling really wanted to kill Harry Potter at the end of the book, but 'they' wouldn't let her!

Shaolina23

[107]May 21, 2008
    • level: 6

Seriously, some people need to stuff it with the Jun thing. If anything Jun is prove of Zukaang!

1) First of all season 1 Zuko, if anything, is asexual with avatar obssesions. His view of the world is too narow for him to register anything else. Look at how he treats the issue. Jun keeps making jokes, does he care? No. "Where's the avatar?" over and over and over again. When Jun talks all Zuko hears is "Blah Blah blha girl blah avatar companion blah blah no avatar blah blah no honor." Which triggers the "Okay, are you done? Now where's the avatar" response. He's not denying it because he likes Katara! He just can't be bothered with some hunter's smart@ss remarks when there's an avatar to catch.

2) Both Zuko and Katara are inexperience and awkward with the opposite sex. When Iroh teased him about Jin, similar to what Jun did, what was his reaction? He was outraged and embarrased. Just like any inexperienced dweeby teen who has spent years chasing a guy while he travelled the world with smelly guys would react. Unlike with Katara, he felt a little spark there and he was embarrased that he was getting called on it.

3) Jun just wanted to be a pain in the behind because Zuko beggs for it. She just felt like being a smart@ss. I don't like Zutara and I would have made the same comments (or worst) because angry Zuko seems like a funny sight to see.

Can people stop overanalizing things? Seriously I should just make a Zukaang video just to prove how overanalazing means nothing on avatar. The show's straightfoward, predictable, and connected. You have to watch the flow of things instead of watching something over, and over, and over again looking at things that aren't there. It's like looking at a big painting. You have to take some steps back to appreciate the whole, not just a part of it.

mangafreak5000

[108]May 22, 2008
    Shaolina23 wrote:

Seriously, some people need to stuff it with the Jun thing. If anything Jun is prove of Zukaang!

1) First of all season 1 Zuko, if anything, is asexual with avatar obssesions. His view of the world is too narow for him to register anything else. Look at how he treats the issue. Jun keeps making jokes, does he care? No. "Where's the avatar?" over and over and over again. When Jun talks all Zuko hears is "Blah Blah blha girl blah avatar companion blah blah no avatar blah blah no honor." Which triggers the "Okay, are you done? Now where's the avatar" response. He's not denying it because he likes Katara! He just can't be bothered with some hunter's smart@ss remarks when there's an avatar to catch.

2) Both Zuko and Katara are inexperience and awkward with the opposite sex. When Iroh teased him about Jin, similar to what Jun did, what was his reaction? He was outraged and embarrased. Just like any inexperienced dweeby teen who has spent years chasing a guy while he travelled the world with smelly guys would react. Unlike with Katara, he felt a little spark there and he was embarrased that he was getting called on it.

3) Jun just wanted to be a pain in the behind because Zuko beggs for it. She just felt like being a smart@ss. I don't like Zutara and I would have made the same comments (or worst) because angry Zuko seems like a funny sight to see.

Can people stop overanalizing things? Seriously I should just make a Zukaang video just to prove how overanalazing means nothing on avatar. The show's straightfoward, predictable, and connected. You have to watch the flow of things instead of watching something over, and over, and over again looking at things that aren't there. It's like looking at a big painting. You have to take some steps back to appreciate the whole, not just a part of it.

I think that that bolded part of a sentence is one of the funniest things I have ever read i my life, LOL. And, one of the resons that I think Zutara will not happen is because Mike and Bryan are pretty obvoius when it come to love on the show. Because its meant for kids, they aren't going to understand subtle flirting or anything, so then put in obvoius signs of attraction (kissing, blushing, holding hands, dancing). If you read in between the lines too much then it starts to get confusing. Shaolina, you nailed it once again with a good dose of common sense. (LOLmost shippers don't have a lot.)

suss2it

[109]May 23, 2008
    Bump, so now new who don't know about this topic can discuss it here. Maybe this should get pinned?

1MMfan

[110]May 24, 2008
    • level: 16

I recently read the book.I have to say,it does seem believable.Even at the end with the interview with Mike and Bryan.I didn't want to believe the part about Ty Lee.I do wonder what happens to Azula after her defeat,as well as Ozai.
    As for the shippings,I think there is no reason not to ship Kataang and Maiko now.If you still think Zutara will happen,then explain this.

Mike: Sorry to disappoint "Zutara" fans out there,but we never intended for Zuko and Katara together.Maybe we're just sentimental,but we always had a spot in our hearts for "Kataang."
    Bryan: Zuko and Katara may have shared some sparks,but sometimes there are people along your "journey of love" who are there to teach you what you need,but don't necessarily end up your partner.Come on kids!Zutara never would have lasted!It was just dark and intriguing.

The creators themselves don't even go for Zutara.Ship Zutara if you want,but there is a slim chance of it happening.

omg350

[111]May 25, 2008
    I think I will wait and see it on television

kaybee_2

[112]May 29, 2008
    • level: 12
    This is unbelievable. Mike and Bryan have flat-out said that it's not going to happen...and yet some Zutarians are still hanging in there. I almost admire the extreme determination....

But really, what is it that keeps you hoping? Is it simply denial that Kataang has won? Or do you really, truly believe there's still a chance of Zutara happening? Honestly, I can't imagine any way in which it could possibly happen at this point. Mike and Bryan aren't liars, and they sounded pretty darn sincere in this interview. I seriously doubt they'd say all that and then make it end with Zutara -- that just doesn't sound like them to me.

"Oh, but what about the team-up ninja scene?!" frantic Zutarians add. "That's such an OBVIOUS Zutara moment." Okay, honestly, can someone please give me proof that that's Zutara at all? It's getting to the point where any scene in which Katara and Zuko are in the same room together is a Zutara moment. And yet a kiss on the lips still doesn't make a Kataang moment. Hmm.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to discourage all of you Zutarians...but it's over. It just is. Nobody can really deny that. I promised myself at the beginning of this whole shipping war that I wasn't ever going to flat-out deny the chance of any ship, no matter how much I disliked it. But come on.

xRamensx

[113]May 29, 2008
    • level: 11

kaybee_2 wrote:
    This is unbelievable. Mike and Bryan have flat-out said that it's not going to happen...and yet some Zutarians are still hanging in there. I almost admire the extreme determination.... But really, what is it that keeps you hoping? Is it simply denial that Kataang has won? Or do you really, truly believe there's still a chance of Zutara happening? Honestly, I can't imagine any way in which it could possibly happen at this point. Mike and Bryan aren't liars, and they sounded pretty darn sincere in this interview. I seriously doubt they'd say all that and then make it end with Zutara -- that just doesn't sound like them to me. "Oh, but what about the team-up ninja scene?!" frantic Zutarians add. "That's such an OBVIOUS Zutara moment." Okay, honestly, can someone please give me proof that that's Zutara at all? It's getting to the point where any scene in which Katara and Zuko are in the same room together is a Zutara moment. And yet a kiss on the lips still doesn't make a Kataang moment. Hmm. I'm sorry, I'm not trying to discourage all of you Zutarians...but it's over. It just is. Nobody can really deny that. I promised myself at the beginning of this whole shipping war that I wasn't ever going to flat-out deny the chance of any ship, no matter how much I disliked it. But come on.

I completely know what the Zutarians are going through. The whole "delusional" thing was a big kick in the crotch for the Harmonians. But after that, I decided I never, ever want to get emotionally invested in shipping. It's stupid.

Zutarians see Zuko as a bad boy, and Katara as a sweet peasant girl. I guess it's true, people watch different shows when they watch the same show. Zuko is the hugest dork. Mai and Zuko spouting "emo love" to each other was Mai just being Mai, and Zuko speaking as smoothly as he could to a girl he likes.

Which isn't smooth at all. And Katara is a bat**it insane girl who lets her emotions control her too much.

And with Aang, Zutarians see him as this naive little kid who Katara has no romantic feelings for whatsoever. I actually think that Aang is more emotionally mature than Katara. She gets very flustered whenever someone she realizes has either feelings for her or the opposite. It's true, Aang is a kid, but what happens to kids? They grow up! He's not going to be 12 forever.

So, to the Zutarians: I know how you feel, but can't just let this go and maybe just keep Zutara as a fanon ship? Either that, or try to see Kataang as Kataangers see it.

picaboomman

[114]May 29, 2008
    • level: 18
    some of the kataangers are full of bull....sorry but its true. im neutral and i know zutara might not happen, but would bryke actually let something this huge, this significant pass? we still dont know what will happen in the southern raiders. for all we know, there might be some zutara in there. that was a 64 page book and like a fourth of that interveiw did not seem at all like bryke. you guys all want to deny some of the sparks between zuko and katara and you only look at the negatives of it. sorry if i dissed you but i said SOME of tha kataangers

picaboomman

[115]May 29, 2008
    picaboomman wrote:
    some of the kataangers are full of bull....sorry but its true. im neutral and i know zutara might not happen, but would bryke actually let something this huge, this significant pass? we still dont know what will happen in the southern raiders. for all we know, there might be some zutara in there. that was a 64 page book and like a fourth of that interveiw did not seem at all like bryke. you guys all want to deny some of the sparks between zuko and katara and you only look at the negatives of it. sorry if i dissed you but i said SOME of tha kataangers

btw i except zutara as a fandom ship. it has like a 3% chance of being canon

xRamensx

[116]May 29, 2008
    • level: 11

picaboomman wrote:

It is possible for some Zutara bonding, but I don't think they'll go farther than a "we're BFFs nao" hug. Again, I'm going to pull the whole Harmonian thing out. I looked for any little scene that had Harry and Hermione bonding. And in the last book, I got really happy when Ron left for a while, even though Jo said herself that Harry/Hermione wasn't going to happen. I just looked for anything.

So I know completely know how they feel. I'm not a full Kataanger, I just know it's going to happen in the end, and not because of the spoilers but because I see them together in the end.

Zuko and Katara will have bonding moment, yes, but if anything, it's just going to offer closure to the Zutarians (hopefully). There were some little things that might offer a clue into a relationship, but Aang has just had more history with her and I think that relationship would just work out better.

Just my opinion!

picaboomman

[117]May 29, 2008
    xRamensx wrote:

picaboomman wrote:

It is possible for some Zutara bonding, but I don't think they'll go farther than a "we're BFFs nao" hug. Again, I'm going to pull the whole Harmonian thing out. I looked for any little scene that had Harry and Hermione bonding. And in the last book, I got really happy when Ron left for a while, even though Jo said herself that Harry/Hermione wasn't going to happen. I just looked for anything.

So I know completely know how they feel. I'm not a full Kataanger, I just know it's going to happen in the end, and not because of the spoilers but because I see them together in the end.

Zuko and Katara will have bonding moment, yes, but if anything, it's just going to offer closure to the Zutarians (hopefully). There were some little things that might offer a clue into a relationship, but Aang has just had more history with her and I think that relationship would just work out better.

Just my opinion!

zutara will definently have its moments...but i dont think it will go anywhere outside the hug....maybe there might be a kiss on the cheek....but highly unlikely. but it might be possible for that to happen in the southern raiders as a way of helping her....but like i said, highly unlikely...though i would like a zutara kiss on the cheek, as friends

shadowysea07

[118]May 29, 2008
    • level: 25
    the only ship that stays is sukka none of the others are proven.

kaybee_2

[119]May 30, 2008
    • level: 12
    picaboomman wrote:
    xRamensx wrote:

picaboomman wrote:

Just my opinion!

zutara will definently have its moments...but i dont think it will go anywhere outside the hug....maybe there might be a kiss on the cheek....but highly unlikely. but it might be possible for that to happen in the southern raiders as a way of helping her....but like i said, highly unlikely...though i would like a zutara kiss on the cheek, as friends

I agree. I'm fine with them being friends -- I'd actually really like to see that. Just out of curiosity, was the hug in the book? I didn't really read much of the summary; I just briefly (very briefly) skimmed a few parts and read the Kataang ending. I didn't want TOO many spoilers.

omg350

[120]Jun 2, 2008
    Dudes, keep the shipping fights on the battlegrounds
    Edited on 06/02/2008 10:28am
    Edited 2 total times.