We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Avatar: The Last Airbender Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2008)

Katara vs.Azula

AlwaysKataang

[61]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 5
    I really like Katara. She's an awesome bender, but Azula would beat her. She's had a lot more experience in fighting. But if Katara had the same amount of experience, she could defeat Azula.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

dumb_person1

[62]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 41
    Probably Azula would win because she has more experience in fighting than Katara, and she is a more powerful bender. But I agree that Katara can also defeat her but only at night when the power of the waterbenders becomes stronger.

Gnosis421

[63]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 1
    You guys are missing the general rule of all the bending arts, they they have different advantages and disadvantages with one another. In the end, each battle is completely dependent on how one uses the element to their advantage.

Toph for example has the ability to listen to the Earth and know where someone is stepping, or know when they are about to attack. This gives her the time to dodge and counter effectively. But she cannot sense anything when it is in the air.

Azula is strong and quick in her movements, but she is a chaotic force. She doesn't think much about the way she bends fire like Zuko does, she simply shoots and fries as best as she can while using speed to her advantage.

Katara is extremely cunning. She may not be as fast as Azula, and she may not be as quick to react as Toph, but she understands how to use water in so many different forms to create amazing attacks, something Azula wouldn't be prepared for.

You have to put everything into perspective.

In the end, I think Katara and Azula are well matched. They are both incredible benders with almost limitless potential. But as a personal opinion, I think Katara would win.

You may not think Katara has grown and trained as much as Azula has, but I think that's quite the opposite. Katara learned how to master each form of water relatively well, and employed them in a number of different episodes. Even in one of the latest episodes, The Western Air Temple, she managed to lift a huge wave of water into the air and create ice spikes at a high trajectory. If you remember, this is the exact same move Master Paaku used on Katara in season 1. This shows how much she's grown, able to mimic the ability of a respected master and teacher.

Let's also not forget how she was able to defeat Hama, who herself in a fully trained master, even while Hama was using Bloodbending against her, as well as her own friends.

horacus

[64]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 7
    It depends on the environment where the fight goes.

stump2790

[65]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    I know what determines a victory

***SPOILER***

horacus

[66]Jan 21, 2008

stump2790 wrote:
    I know what determines a victory
    ***SPOILER***

We have a winner.

beifong001

[67]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    When the two of them actually did face off in the last episodes, Katara didn't exactly beat her, she merely tied her hands and feat to the ground while frozen in a giant ice block. (Depends on your definition for the word 'beat') However, I think Katara was only able do to that due to the fact that Azula had only just had an Agni-Kai with Zuko, being tired and weary didn't exactly help Azula. She was also starting to 'slip', becoming crazy and doing everything in a barbaric manner could've also affected Azula's focus and control.

Either way, they are both incredibly skilled at manipulating their elements. *soul*

isabelwhatx

[68]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 14
    Katara only beat Azula because Azula was completely worn out from her other Agni Kai against Zuko and she was INSANE. If the circumstances were different, Katara would've gone down. Hard.

microwave234

[69]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 9
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Katara only beat Azula because Azula was completely worn out from her other Agni Kai against Zuko and she was INSANE. If the circumstances were different, Katara would've gone down. Hard.
    Azula was powered up by the comet. I would love to see her try to fight Katara during a full moon.. Also lol to all the people that ended up being wrong.
    Edited on 09/28/2008 7:06pm

PsychoPass

[70]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 11

microwave234 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    Azula was powered up by the comet. I would love to see her try to fight Katara during a full moon.. Also lol to all the people that ended up being wrong.

Man we were so SURE she was going to die. Well, she is ina way. :f

beifong001

[71]Sep 28, 2008
    • level: 3
    beifong001 wrote:
    When the two of them actually did face off in the last episodes, Katara didn't exactly beat her, she merely tied her hands and feat to the ground while frozen in a giant ice block. (Depends on your definition for the word 'beat') However, I think Katara was only able do to that due to the fact that Azula had only just had an Agni-Kai with Zuko, being tired and weary didn't exactly help Azula. She was also starting to 'slip', becoming crazy and doing everything in a barbaric manner could've also affected Azula's focus and control.

Either way, they are both incredibly skilled at manipulating their elements. *soul*

Even though Katara is my second favourite character - i'm still gonna have to go with Azula...

Dontogan

[72]Oct 2, 2008
    • level: 5

Actually, I thought Azula would win at first, but I'm not so sure. Katara was able to do bloodbending in mere moments, without practice. She learned waterbending from Pakku (North Pole waterbending master) very quickly. The speed at which she learns things is extremely fast.

Now, think back to the first episode when Katara. Look how much more powerful her waterbending was when she angry (ripping apart a glacier) compared to what she could do at the time normally (freeze water which took a few seconds, and move it around, etc). With the last episodes, she's much, much more powerful, so imagine how much more she could be if Azula got her angry.Maybe powerful enough to even bloodbeend when the sun was out?

Edited on 10/03/2008 3:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

isabelwhatx

[73]Oct 3, 2008
    microwave234 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:

But she could barely even use that power. She was insane.

youtube_tv

[74]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 25
    I would say Katara because katara can keep her cool unlike azula

microwave234

[75]Oct 3, 2008
    • level: 9
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    microwave234 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:

I think the comet amplifies their power regardless of their condition.

isabelwhatx

[76]Oct 3, 2008
    It does, but Azula wasn't able to fully reach her potential. It didn't how powerful Azula was, she wouldn't have had even a prayer of hitting Katara in her state.

Spazdog

[77]Oct 4, 2008

Well I am glad she didn't die, at lest she is alive, and insanity can be cured

Anyways Azula would own kitara because of her greater experience skill and also because she won't hesitate to kill.

readapost

[78]Oct 4, 2008
    Um I say Katria. Azula went all inzane. But Azula fighting the Joker in being inzane would be more of the fight I would like to see.

turtle4apple

[79]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 22
    I say that Azula is way too powerful for a person, so she can beat Katara with any attack she has, but I hate Azula.

Chaospyro

[80]Oct 4, 2008
    • level: 10
    isabelwhatx wrote:
    microwave234 wrote:
    isabelwhatx wrote:

I don't think she was completely insane until the very final act, where she completely loses it. Also the fact that she was able to generate lightning in her mentally unstable state shows that she didn't have that much trouble tapping into her power. She was disadvantaged by her mental instability but the final Azula vs Katara fight just showed that at the end Katara out smarted Azula, probably something that hasn't happened before in the series. Katara vs Azula fights never have been conclusive, even in CoD katara was putting a good fight against Azula, so who will be the victor would probably depend on whether the sun or moon is up.