We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Antagonist of Season 2.

BrainMan820

[121]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 16
    shishkabob999 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

shishkabob999 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    Even at this point in the competition, he's still trying to use Lindsay and Beth.
    I just want to understand where you're coming from here. Basically, you're saying that it was antagonistic of Justin to use his looks to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, but it was okay for Courtney to do so just because he did it first?

You misundestand. This had nothing to do with why Justin is a villain. I had stated that Justin is still attempting to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, thus, Courtney should not take him at his word that he would give up immunity for her.

Okay, got it. But did Courtney know about the Linsday and Beth thing? Or even the guy's alliance?

He tried to seduce them right in front of her during the burrito challenge. Further, she already knew that the girls were plotting an alliance, and Duncan was mobilizing them to vote out Leshawna. Simple logic would make it a battle of the sexes.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

4EverGreen

[122]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 44
    But Courtney doesn't even DESERVE to win the money from what has happened! She didn't make it with the 14 contestants at the end of "TDDDDI" and simply sued her way onto the show all because of Harold's stupid rigging! And the only reason Harold rigged Courtney off the show was because Duncan just wouldn't leave Harold alone. So it makes me wonder WHY Courtney hasn't put Duncan's bullying with Harold's cheating together and realized that it's actually DUNCAN'S fault for getting her off the show more than anything else! Courtney may feel that she has a right to eliminate Duncan for 'cheating' with Gwen, but they never even DID anything that bad! Geoff just presented it that way to tick Courtney off, which of course worked, considering that it's Courtney. It makes me wonder that as villainous as Courtney is becoming, why hasn't she returned Harold's 'favor' by rigging the votes to vote HIM off? Especially considering she could easily call her lawyers and have them set it up so that when the contestants vote with their electronic devices, it will automatically eliminate Harold (just like what happened in Florida and Ohio) and Courtney can finally stop being p***** off about the whole season 1 incident! Unless she secretly LIKES p****** everyone off, in which case, she's doing a FANTASTIC job at that! I actually hope that it's Heather who returns from being eliminated, if only to show Courtney that Courtney doesn't even KNOW what REAL villainy is! I'd really like to see Heather come back so that she can knock off Princess Courtney off her all high and mighty pedestal and make her writhe in agony like the worm she really is! That would be SO cool! Enough said!

pixarprincess

[123]Oct 19, 2009
    • level: 13
    4EverGreen wrote:
    But Courtney doesn't even DESERVE to win the money from what has happened! She didn't make it with the 14 contestants at the end of "TDDDDI" and simply sued her way onto the show all because of Harold's stupid rigging! And the only reason Harold rigged Courtney off the show was because Duncan just wouldn't leave Harold alone. So it makes me wonder WHY Courtney hasn't put Duncan's bullying with Harold's cheating together and realized that it's actually DUNCAN'S fault for getting her off the show more than anything else! Courtney may feel that she has a right to eliminate Duncan for 'cheating' with Gwen, but they never even DID anything that bad! Geoff just presented it that way to tick Courtney off, which of course worked, considering that it's Courtney. It makes me wonder that as villainous as Courtney is becoming, why hasn't she returned Harold's 'favor' by rigging the votes to vote HIM off? Especially considering she could easily call her lawyers and have them set it up so that when the contestants vote with their electronic devices, it will automatically eliminate Harold (just like what happened in Florida and Ohio) and Courtney can finally stop being p***** off about the whole season 1 incident! Unless she secretly LIKES p****** everyone off, in which case, she's doing a FANTASTIC job at that! I actually hope that it's Heather who returns from being eliminated, if only to show Courtney that Courtney doesn't even KNOW what REAL villainy is! I'd really like to see Heather come back so that she can knock off Princess Courtney off her all high and mighty pedestal and make her writhe in agony like the worm she really is! That would be SO cool! Enough said!
    Come again?

imverybasic

[124]Oct 19, 2009

*Gives a round of applause*

Well said.

pixarprincess

[125]Oct 20, 2009
    Who, me or 4evergreen?

HaydenAvery

[126]Oct 20, 2009
    • level: 21
    im guessing 4evergreen. yea courtney sucks to the max. even beyond heather. courtneys downfall will be one of the most enjoyable events in TDA!

imverybasic

[127]Oct 20, 2009
    Yes. The applause were for 4EverGreen.

pixarprincess

[128]Oct 21, 2009

Well, if you want My take on it... I say Courtney IS an antagonist

Because while she's actually one of my favorites (Sheids herself from fruit being flung at her), the word "Antagonist" really means a person who gets in the way of the protagonist. Much of the time the term is used along with the word "villian" which is why the definitions are sometimes mixed up. Anyway, seeing as how Courtney pretty much has a bone to pick with almost everyone (Except maybe Duncan), then technically I can't argue that she's not the season's antagonist, and that Justin was a red herring until her return.

That said, I'm still not convinced yet that she can actually be described as evil. Selfish? Yes, very much so. But ask yourselves this; if Chris had the contestents do an apocolyptic movie challenge, and there was an earthquake obstacle, and Duncan was about to fall into a crack, along with an invincibility pass falling right next to him, which would Courtney grab first?

HaydenAvery

[129]Oct 21, 2009
    the invincibility pass!

imverybasic

[130]Oct 21, 2009
    Right. Courtney has way too much pride to put her feelings in front of competition. For about half the time she is competing, she tends to be extremely dense-headed and refuses to listen to reason. She is still angry at Duncan about what happened with Gwen and even though everyone tries to convince her otherwise, Courtney refuses to believe it. And even before the whole Gwen escapade, when Duncan was in trouble, instead of helping him and maybe agreeing to split the profit, she decides to abandon him in his time of need. Whenever it comes to winning, Courtney just thinks of the money and puts aside the feelings of her friends and/or loved ones. Perhaps if it wasn't for the whole idea that they were a couple, there's a small chance of Courtney seeing the light and coming to Duncan's rescue. Otherwise, I could see her putting his life on the line for the prize money or in this case, the invincibility pass.

shishkabob999

[131]Oct 21, 2009
    • level: 9
    Real answer: We would never know. The show would never deal with someone actually DYING. The closest they came was when Ducan twisted his ankle, which is a huge difference from his life.

Although an even more minor example happened earlier, showing that Duncan would pick "the win" over the emotional favor of his girl , when Trent saved Gwen's necklace in Episode 2. Of course, Duncan with Courtney there and Duncan without Courtney in the game are VERY different, showing that Courtney has the ability to easily take advantage of one of the most competitive-focused people in the entire competition (which he is, especially in the second half of TDI).

And I'm going to let BrainMan argue about the bomb thing in Dial M for Merger, I hate that episode anyway and don't care.

n5d25d90

[132]Oct 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    shishkabob999 wrote:
    Real answer: We would never know. The show would never deal with someone actually DYING. The closest they came was when Ducan twisted his ankle, which is a huge difference from his life.

If you're talking about the entire show, I disagree with that. Falling from a plane or being blown up is deadlier than a twisted ankle. And even in TDA there's a lot of free falling moments that could easily kill a normal person.

If this wasn't where you were going with this, I apologize for wasting your time. That's just what what you were saying sounded like to me.

shishkabob999

[133]Oct 21, 2009

n5d25d90 wrote:
    shishkabob999 wrote:
    If you're talking about the entire show, I disagree with that. Falling from a plane or being blown up is deadlier than a twisted ankle. And even in TDA there's a lot of free falling moments that could easily kill a normal person. If this wasn't where you were going with this, I apologize for wasting your time. That's just what what you were saying sounded like to me.
    No, you bring up a good point, and I did think about that. And those severe free fall or injury moments are cartoon physics, where they're fine the next episode (with the exception of Cody), where Duncan's presented her with a choice.

You don't have to worry about being rude. You've read my damn fanfics.

n5d25d90

[134]Oct 21, 2009
    • level: 8
    shishkabob999 wrote:

n5d25d90 wrote:
    shishkabob999 wrote:
    If you're talking about the entire show, I disagree with that. Falling from a plane or being blown up is deadlier than a twisted ankle. And even in TDA there's a lot of free falling moments that could easily kill a normal person. If this wasn't where you were going with this, I apologize for wasting your time. That's just what what you were saying sounded like to me.
    No, you bring up a good point, and I did think about that. And those severe free fall or injury moments are cartoon physics, where they're fine the next episode (with the exception of Cody), where Duncan's presented her with a choice.

You don't have to worry about being rude. You've read my damn fanfics.

XD Well, this forum is, for the most part, stricter than most forums I've been on. Don't want to tick anyone off.

HaydenAvery

[135]Oct 22, 2009
    it is actually known that courtney would do that. in the spy challenge duncan was still one of the people who had to agree to the 50/50 split to be saved.

pixarprincess

[136]Oct 22, 2009
    shishkabob999 wrote:

You're forgetting the fact that HALF of these contestants have already suffered some kind of near- death experience.

shishkabob999

[137]Oct 22, 2009
    pixarprincess wrote:
    shishkabob999 wrote:

You're forgetting the fact that HALF of these contestants have already suffered some kind of near- death experience.

But the issue of actually dying, of risking someone's life, is never brought up. The characters (which are really Trent, Cody, Heather, and maybe Gwen and Owen) get hurt to the extremes for the funny, not for the drama.

imverybasic

[138]Oct 22, 2009
    I theorize that the writers find so many different ways to keep from bringing up the issue. And seeing how there are so many liked characters in the show, it would be tragic for one person to see their favorite character(s) put to the ultimate death.