We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Antagonist of Season 2.

BrainMan820

[101]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 16
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

n5d25d90 wrote:
    Wait, BrainMan, you assume Lindsay meant to insult Courtney, yet you don't assume Courtney would've let four people fall to their deaths. You also seem to believe that someone telling someone else that they aren't very well liked is far worse than someone threatening to kill another human being. ...Well, I don't know what your morals are, but I don't agree with them.

It's not an assumption, it's a statement of fact. There is no other way for Lindsay to have interacted with Courtney aside from an insult. It's all very consistent.

And these aren't my morals: It's a TV show.

Lindsay could've been interacting with Courtney at the Playa des Losers this whole time. It's not like they just vanished and POOF! reappeared just for that episode. I'm sure these people TALK during the season. What is it, story-wise? Three days between challenges usually? (Though challenges lasting more than one day probably start right away) So all that time Lindsay and Courtney were together at the Playa des Losers, at no point in time did they talk? Is that what you're saying?

That goes back to the whole "assuming" thing. Show me where Courtney and Lindsay interacted positively and I'll consider it.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

BrainMan820

[102]Oct 13, 2009
    imverybasic wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    See, here's the thing, though. If Courtney steered the balloon into obstacles, then they wouldn't have been killed by the fall. Kinda puts a damper on your whole "I'll let them fall to their deaths" theory.

The thing is: If Courtney left the building by herself, she still has to secure the zipline somewhere, which means the others still have a path to follow. They can still cross the zipline hand-over-hand. Not a very fast method, but they have one.

Look at the way everyone's arranged. Courtney would have had a difficult time shaking anyone off considering how tightly they were grabbing her. As for extra weight, the tension of Courtney moving to shake or kick someone off would create a lot more tension then the weight itself.

That's true. It wouldn't kill them, but they would still get hurt in some way. But before, they were dangling from the balloon and Courtney was still willing to hurt them in some way. Since she couldn't make them fall, she had to steer the balloon through thorny bushes and what not. She even admitted that she was willing to let the others fall to their deaths because she didn't like them, and since Owen manage to pull the others to safety, Courtney had no chance to kill them then.

Well you make a good point when you put it that way. But having Courtney leave everyone behind, regardless is still wrong and immorally sound. Plus, the building that the others were aiming to grab onto was far from the current building they were in. Also, they had nothing to grab onto. Courtney's zipline gun was the only thing that would have helped them get to the next building. Also considering that there are only seven players the odds of them arriving to the next building safely are kind of sketchy.

Like I said, talk is cheap. Courtney can talk or threaten all she wants; ultimately that used as a scare tactic. Courtney was willing to play rough to get the case. And, consdiering the morality of the TV show, where Chris makes them race blindfolded on a track loaded with explosives, it's the extreme factor.

It doesn't matter how far away the building is: they can still reach it. Further, Courtney leaving everyone in the building is not morally sound because, and we go back to, the fact that Courtney didn't believe they were at risk.

Edited on 10/13/2009 9:29pm

n5d25d90

[103]Oct 13, 2009
    • level: 8
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

n5d25d90 wrote:
    Wait, BrainMan, you assume Lindsay meant to insult Courtney, yet you don't assume Courtney would've let four people fall to their deaths. You also seem to believe that someone telling someone else that they aren't very well liked is far worse than someone threatening to kill another human being. ...Well, I don't know what your morals are, but I don't agree with them.

It's not an assumption, it's a statement of fact. There is no other way for Lindsay to have interacted with Courtney aside from an insult. It's all very consistent.

Lindsay could've been interacting with Courtney at the Playa des Losers this whole time. It's not like they just vanished and POOF! reappeared just for that episode. I'm sure these people TALK during the season. What is it, story-wise? Three days between challenges usually? (Though challenges lasting more than one day probably start right away) So all that time Lindsay and Courtney were together at the Playa des Losers, at no point in time did they talk? Is that what you're saying?

That goes back to the whole "assuming" thing. Show me where Courtney and Lindsay interacted positively and I'll consider it.

Just like you're assuming Courtney wasn't going to let the four boys drop. Show me where it says she wasn't serious about it and I'll consider it.

imverybasic

[104]Oct 14, 2009
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    Like I said, talk is cheap. Courtney can talk or threaten all she wants; ultimately that used as a scare tactic. Courtney was willing to play rough to get the case. And, consdiering the morality of the TV show, where Chris makes them race blindfolded on a track loaded with explosives, it's the extreme factor.

It doesn't matter how far away the building is: they can still reach it. Further, Courtney leaving everyone in the building is not morally sound because, and we go back to, the fact that Courtney didn't believe they were at risk.

Okay, so let's assume that Courtney's threat was a scare tactic. But again, she also offered to pulled the others up to safety. How do we know that that's not just a ploy to get them to give her the case, only for her to let them drop afterwards?

Okay, so if Courtney didn't believe Chris was serious about blowing up the building. So here's a scenario of what would have happened: The countdown has alreday started and the players are left with 28 seconds to spare, fine. Since Courtney believes that Chris is trying to punk them, she wastes about twenty seconds trying to conince the others that she would only save them if she got something in exchange. Finally, with ten seconds to spare, Courtney decides that she will only save them in exchange for some of the prize money. This time, the competitors refuse and with only five seconds to spare, Courtney says something like "suit yourself", grabs Harold's belt and makes a run for it. And since there are six players, minus Courtney, they would not be given enough time to escape the building.

It does matter how far away the building is. Since you said that they would have a slower method to reaching the other side. And again, if everybody were to go individually, 30 seconds plus six players equals not enough time to escape. And also considering how far the two buildings were, about half the players would get fried. The method would also not work group wise considering that there would be nothing stirdy enough to secure everybody on the same line.

4EverGreen

[105]Oct 14, 2009
    • level: 44
    The competitors could NOT be fried as Chris himself said that the show didn't have the budget to blow up an actual building. IF Courtney had just left the other 6 competitors in that building, Chris would've probably decided to just give the reward to Courtney, and not make her share it with Lindsay, since Courtney would've been the only one to escape the building with the tools she had. But still, that doesn't make the fact that Courtney WAS willing to take the chance that the building MIGHT have blown up, and IF she did that, than there's no way that Chris would EVER let Courtney have the $1,000,000; because even $1,000,000 would not be enough to cover Courtney's bail for knowingly abandoning 6 innocent people to their deaths! In fact, that is a big problem with Courtney's thinking. When she's willing to KILL people for the money, she's actually working towards making it so that instead of HER winning the money, NOBODY would win the money, because all the other contestants would be dead and Courtney wouldn't be able to win it for doing something illegal! Chris Maclean might be a twisted person, but as it has been shown in the episode "Master of Disasters," he DOES have morals, even if the only reason he has them is to keep his job as a reality game show host safe. And even though this is a cartoon show where probably nobody could die, that doesn't make Courtney's actions any less forgivable, and anyone who says differently is probably as crazy as Izzy when she went through her Kaleidoscope/Explosivo phase. Finally, I believe that Lindsay and Courtney DID have some intereaction after "That's Off the Chain" & before "After the Dock of Shame;" and in that time, it would be EASY for Courtney to get on Lindsay's nerves, as the only thing SHE would be talking about is how she was robbed of her chance to win the money in the 1st season! I think Chris would've been a LOT better off had he decided to bring back Courtney INSTEAD of Eva, that way, everyone could've voted Courtney off fair and square, than she'd have no logical reason to be upset. But that's animated televison for you, so what are we going to do? Courtney is worse than BOTH Heather and Eva put together in the fact that not only is she smarter than Eva, she's also just as willing to hurt people just as much as Eva is, whereas Heather never really went that far, mostly because Heather has never been a particularly strong female. This is the unadulterated truth I'm speaking here, and I hope this resolves any and all remaining matters of just who is currently the most villainous contestant around here, currently! Enough said, true believers!

imverybasic

[106]Oct 14, 2009

You make a good point. But I was being hypthetical from my last post. Whether it was meant to be a scare tactic on Chris's part or not, this still doesn't excuse Courtney and her actions. While we agree that Chris has morals, this just proves that Courtney doesn't. She would rather let four people fall from great heights to their doom than to lose one million dollars.

BrainMan820

[107]Oct 14, 2009
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    n5d25d90 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

n5d25d90 wrote:

Just like you're assuming Courtney wasn't going to let the four boys drop. Show me where it says she wasn't serious about it and I'll consider it.

Because she drove them into trees to shake them off. That would prevent a death from falling.

BrainMan820

[108]Oct 14, 2009
    imverybasic wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

Okay, so let's assume that Courtney's threat was a scare tactic. But again, she also offered to pulled the others up to safety. How do we know that that's not just a ploy to get them to give her the case, only for her to let them drop afterwards?

Okay, so if Courtney didn't believe Chris was serious about blowing up the building. So here's a scenario of what would have happened: The countdown has alreday started and the players are left with 28 seconds to spare, fine. Since Courtney believes that Chris is trying to punk them, she wastes about twenty seconds trying to conince the others that she would only save them if she got something in exchange. Finally, with ten seconds to spare, Courtney decides that she will only save them in exchange for some of the prize money. This time, the competitors refuse and with only five seconds to spare, Courtney says something like "suit yourself", grabs Harold's belt and makes a run for it. And since there are six players, minus Courtney, they would not be given enough time to escape the building.

It does matter how far away the building is. Since you said that they would have a slower method to reaching the other side. And again, if everybody were to go individually, 30 seconds plus six players equals not enough time to escape. And also considering how far the two buildings were, about half the players would get fried. The method would also not work group wise considering that there would be nothing stirdy enough to secure everybody on the same line.

Because she would need to pull them up to give her the case. It's difficult to hand over such an item when one is hanging from a balloon.

Using the method you had described, Courtney would not be able to escape the building in time. You need a running start to slide on Harold's belt.

Thirty seconds is actually a decent amount of time, particularly when you've got the adrenaline pumping when you're escaping for your life. Further, the explosives were at the bottom of the building, granting extra time as the explosion reached the wire. Further, even if the building exploded, depending on it's structural integrity, the zipline could still be secured.

HaydenAvery

[109]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 21
    just because they werent in danger does not make it right for courtney to manipulate them into giving her the case and 50/50 prize split. she drove them into trees so they would fall by the way.

alagaesian

[110]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 12
    Trying to decide if Courtney is an antagonist? Okay.

Justin liked her. She pretended to like him back so she could get farther in the game. Then she let him get voted off. She put a knife in the back of someone who liked her. She played with his feelings. She really hurt him. I don't see any other way to put it that doesn't sound mean.

You could say, "Yeah, it's a competition, you're supposed to do that kind of stuff." So? It's still wrong in common ethics. It doesn't matter where she is, she shouldn't play with someone's affection and then betray him, hurting him on the inside who knows how much! There is only one other person I know of in this series that did something similar: Heather. That's who Courtney's becoming.

imverybasic

[111]Oct 15, 2009
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    Because she would need to pull them up to give her the case. It's difficult to hand over such an item when one is hanging from a balloon.

Using the method you had described, Courtney would not be able to escape the building in time. You need a running start to slide on Harold's belt.

Thirty seconds is actually a decent amount of time, particularly when you've got the adrenaline pumping when you're escaping for your life. Further, the explosives were at the bottom of the building, granting extra time as the explosion reached the wire. Further, even if the building exploded, depending on it's structural integrity, the zipline could still be secured.

Not necessarily. It depends on your position. Courtney could have grabbed them or taken them under her control and grab the case, before letting them drop. Seeing that Owen had some sort of pipe secured to him prevents him from falling.

A running start is not necessary. She could have done the same thing escaping the building alone as when they were working together.

That's true. However, fear and adrenaline works in both ways. It could either get you out of situations or keep you into them. While it helps you in life threatening situations, it could also backfire. Like for example, fear could prevent you from thinking straight especially in this instance. Escpaing from a building in tact, takes quick but calm measures. You must stay calm under pressure, otherwise you are unable to think straight. There were many explosives lying at the bottom. They could have all exploded at the same time. The structure of the building may not always be stirdy enough. Even if the building could have remained in tact, the explosives could have gotten to the other players-- especially if they're dangling, just like they were dangling from Courtney-- while holding onto the zipline.

Riankg

[112]Oct 15, 2009
    • level: 6
    Well some people might until yesterday still thought that Courtney isnt the antagonist. But after this week's episode..YEAH ..we can prove she is the antagonist..

examples..

throwing Justin from the top of that "tower"..
    using many techniques like Heather did..
    and after being nominated the princess she started to say to the others for them to eat her dust..

So it might be official now that Courtney IS the antagonist and she CAN BE even worst then Heather in many points.

4EverGreen

[113]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 44
    WOW!!!! Courtney took Justin down, HARD!!!! I think it's safe to say that the creators or writers or whoever it was, that said that Justin was the main villain of season 2, said it to plant a red herring in our minds! Justin was NEVER villainous by Heather's standards, or even Duncan's standards for that matter! Justin was just being a player, and thought that he would be able to use his beauty to get a free ticket to the Final 5 and/or 3. But when Beth's accidental elbow punch maimed Justin's eye, he realized THAT tactic was NOT going to be enough! So he tried to step up to the plate and be a strategizer like Courtney was. Even though it IS partially Justin's fault by trying to hit on someone who was A. Already spoken for and B. NOT even REMOTELY into him, the way Courtney used and abused Justin both physically and emotionally was just cruel AND unusual punishment! I think it's safe to say that Courtney has shot WAY past Heather on the cruel-o-meter, even when Heather was at her MOST evil, and that's evil! I really hope that after Courtney inevitably eliminates Duncan in the most cruel manner possible (come on, we ALL know it has to happen!) Harold and Beth team up to deliver Courtney the most painful, agonizing, vicious elimination of all time; making it SO violent, we will be able to LAUGH at Courtney's MISERY! So needless to say, I'm DEFINITELY on Team Anti-Courtney by now! Enough said, true believers!

HaydenAvery

[114]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 21
    brainman you cannot tell me you still dont think of courtney as an antagonist. i cant believe im saying this but i felt really bad for justin. he got dropped from that tower and wound up in a cast and nobody cared that he left!

BrainMan820

[115]Oct 16, 2009

Nope. Even after watching "Princess Pride" Courtney still isn't a villain. Reason: She was playing the game as it was meant to be played. Justin was attempting to learn Courtney's strategy in order to win the game, and why should Courtney help herself lose? Further, the biggest threat on the island now is the Guy's Alliance, and Courtney needs to minimize their power. She has an understand with Duncan, and an alliance with Harold. Thus, Justin.

She pulled one of Justin's tricks and used her looks to her advantage. I think it was unnecessary to shove Justin from the top of the tower, but she was not a villain merely for manipulating him. If anything, Justin was the villain in that show, who willingly screwed over Harold, than gave up immunity.

Also, why, exactly, should Courtney have trusted Justin to give up immunity? This is a challenge show, and Justin has been shown to string people along in the past. Even at this point in the competition, he's still trying to use Lindsay and Beth.

DeathVelvien

[116]Oct 16, 2009
    • level: 4
    BrainMan820 wrote:

Nope. Even after watching "Princess Pride" Courtney still isn't a villain. Reason: She was playing the game as it was meant to be played. Justin was attempting to learn Courtney's strategy in order to win the game, and why should Courtney help herself lose? Further, the biggest threat on the island now is the Guy's Alliance, and Courtney needs to minimize their power. She has an understand with Duncan, and an alliance with Harold. Thus, Justin.

She pulled one of Justin's tricks and used her looks to her advantage. I think it was unnecessary to shove Justin from the top of the tower, but she was not a villain merely for manipulating him. If anything, Justin was the villain in that show, who willingly screwed over Harold, than gave up immunity.

Also, why, exactly, should Courtney have trusted Justin to give up immunity? This is a challenge show, and Justin has been shown to string people along in the past. Even at this point in the competition, he's still trying to use Lindsay and Beth.

Just a couple quick questions: Do you consider Heather to be the villain of the first season and, if so, what makes Courtney less of a villain at this point? The way I see it, Courtney's playing the game about the same way that Heather did (manipulation, treachery, etc.) except she's more than willing to physically (and unnecesarily) harm her fellow competitors.

BrainMan820

[117]Oct 17, 2009
    DeathVelvien wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

Just a couple quick questions: Do you consider Heather to be the villain of the first season and, if so, what makes Courtney less of a villain at this point? The way I see it, Courtney's playing the game about the same way that Heather did (manipulation, treachery, etc.) except she's more than willing to physically (and unnecesarily) harm her fellow competitors.

I do consider Heather to be the villain of the first season, and I do consider her to be more of a villain then Courtney. The reason being is that Courtney is only about the competition, while Heather set out deliberately to make others suffer. Heather's goals when she read Gwen's diary and kissed Trent were to make Gwen suffer. It had nothing to do with the main reason the competitors were there: To win the prize.

Courtney also doesn't use treachery to advance herself. We see Heather stab Lindsay in the back, but never has Courtney broken a promise. She formed an unlikely alliance with Harold that she, thus far, has stuck with. Her strategy was tailored towards Justin, but she never promised to bring him along in an alliance, neither did she agree not to vote him off. Heather, by contrast, promised to take Lindsay and Beth with her and dumped them the second it was inconvienent. The only personal conflict we ever see Courtney get into is with Lindsay, who was never that nice to her to begin with.

shishkabob999

[118]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    Even at this point in the competition, he's still trying to use Lindsay and Beth.

I just want to understand where you're coming from here. Basically, you're saying that it was antagonistic of Justin to use his looks to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, but it was okay for Courtney to do so just because he did it first?

BrainMan820

[119]Oct 17, 2009

shishkabob999 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:
    Even at this point in the competition, he's still trying to use Lindsay and Beth.
    I just want to understand where you're coming from here. Basically, you're saying that it was antagonistic of Justin to use his looks to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, but it was okay for Courtney to do so just because he did it first?

You misundestand. This had nothing to do with why Justin is a villain. I had stated that Justin is still attempting to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, thus, Courtney should not take him at his word that he would give up immunity for her.

shishkabob999

[120]Oct 17, 2009
    • level: 9
    BrainMan820 wrote:

shishkabob999 wrote:
    BrainMan820 wrote:

You misundestand. This had nothing to do with why Justin is a villain. I had stated that Justin is still attempting to manipulate Lindsay and Beth, thus, Courtney should not take him at his word that he would give up immunity for her.

Okay, got it. But did Courtney know about the Linsday and Beth thing? Or even the guy's alliance?