We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

iRamble - The Official iCarly Off-Topic Thread

teenj12

[6641]Dec 16, 2012
    • level: 26
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Speaking of vegetarianism, aren't there, like, different levels of being a vegetarian? Like, a normal vegetarian eats anything but meat. But only a pure vegetarian eats certain things that don't come from animals at all (like milk) or something like that. I'm not very good with my vegetarian knowledge. :/
    I think its like:

Vegetarians: Eats anything, but meat. They may eat/drink things that come from animals though, such as Milk and Eggs.

Then there are:

Vegans: They are vegetarians who do not eat meat and any type of products that come from animals (like eggs, milk, cheese, etc).
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

MusicAddictBabe

[6642]Dec 17, 2012
    • level: 18
    Ok, yeah, I think you're right.

vanillacupcakes

[6643]Dec 18, 2012
    • level: 16
    Don't forget pescetarians(or pesco vegetarians), who eat seafood, but not any other types of meat(like red meat).
    Also lacto vegetarians, who do not eat meat of food including eggs, but will eat dairy food(yogurt, milk, etc). And what teenj described as a vegetarian, what most people think of(since its the majority of vegetarians), is a lacto-ovo vegetarian.

I honestly know about this from an iCarly segment online where Nevel writes a poem about pescetarians. I kid you not.

MusicAddictBabe

[6644]Dec 19, 2012
    Wow. That's interesting. Who knew there were so many different kinds of vegetarians?

And it's sort of ironic that you found that out from something iCarly-related. xD

vanillacupcakes

[6645]Dec 19, 2012
    You see? iCarly is educational.
    Oh, and to add to that, ethical vegans do not use animal products at all. Not just dietary wise. So they don't wear silk, leather, or wool.

I think it's cool they have different types of vegetarians since people have different standards and draw the line at different levels.

teenj12

[6646]Dec 19, 2012
    Imagine if there was a person who eats meat ONLY and no type of vegetation and fruit? Of course that isn't possible since a person can't be healthy without vegetation. Still, that would be interesting.

vanillacupcakes

[6647]Dec 19, 2012
    I know someone who ate all protein. She actually lost a lot of weight. It's because you don't consume starches, therefore you have an extremely low blood sugar for fat burning. It helps your metabolism a bit, because it takes more energy to break down protein than carbohydrates(more complex molecules and bonds in protein). Also, it fills you up REALLY quickly. It's not healthy and really dangerous, but it's a diet. Long story short, there are preferences for almost everything dietary wise. On top of that, there are a lot of allergies and intolerances. You'll be surprised.

teenj12

[6648]Dec 20, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    I know someone who ate all protein. She actually lost a lot of weight. It's because you don't consume starches, therefore you have an extremely low blood sugar for fat burning. It helps your metabolism a bit, because it takes more energy to break down protein than carbohydrates(more complex molecules and bonds in protein). Also, it fills you up REALLY quickly. It's not healthy and really dangerous, but it's a diet. Long story short, there are preferences for almost everything dietary wise. On top of that, there are a lot of allergies and intolerances. You'll be surprised.

Oh wow O_o, I hope she ended up okay.

As for strange allergies, I myself am allergic to metal. Not a food, but I thought I'd throw that out there .

vanillacupcakes

[6649]Dec 20, 2012
    She's fine now, well at least she appears to be. She stopped after awhile. All metals? Does it irritate your skin in one spot of your if you wear jeans, because of the metal button/snap thing above the zipper? I know someone who has to put fabric on top of that, so I'm just curious.

teenj12

[6650]Dec 21, 2012
    vanillacupcakes wrote:
    She's fine now, well at least she appears to be. She stopped after awhile. All metals? Does it irritate your skin in one spot of your if you wear jeans, because of the metal button/snap thing above the zipper? I know someone who has to put fabric on top of that, so I'm just curious.
    When I was younger, my belts would cause a rash/eczema on my stomach, but since then, its been under control and has gone away. I don't put any type of fabric on my belts or zipper or anything anymore, because its not as huge an issue as it was when I was younger.

MusicAddictBabe

[6651]Dec 22, 2012
    I don't know why, but talking about the different diets and stuff made me think of "Supersize Me". Have either of you watched it? It's messed up.

As far as I know, I'm not allergic to anything. I guess I'm lucky, but because I'm not allergic to anything that I know of, I'm always afraid I'm going to wind up being allergic to something new that I try and that it's gonna be a serious allergy or something.

teenj12

[6652]Dec 22, 2012
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    I don't know why, but talking about the different diets and stuff made me think of "Supersize Me". Have either of you watched it? It's messed up.
    Isn't it that documentary about a guy who diets on McDonald's?

MusicAddictBabe

[6653]Dec 23, 2012
    Yeah. I had to watch it for a class one time, and afterwards, we had to write a paper one a few things we found wrong with the video, like stuff that he did wrong in order to get his point across or something (because heaven forbid we ever watch a movie during a class just for the fun of it)...which was...ugh....Like, one thing I remember was that he showed this piece of hair that he found in his food which was completely irrelevant to the documentary itself. It's like, dude. That doesn't prove you shouldn't eat at McDonald's all the time. It just proves how grossly-made that particular piece of food was.

teenj12

[6654]Dec 23, 2012
    MusicAddictBabe wrote:
    Yeah. I had to watch it for a class one time, and afterwards, we had to write a paper one a few things we found wrong with the video, like stuff that he did wrong in order to get his point across or something (because heaven forbid we ever watch a movie during a class just for the fun of it)...which was...ugh....Like, one thing I remember was that he showed this piece of hair that he found in his food which was completely irrelevant to the documentary itself. It's like, dude. That doesn't prove you shouldn't eat at McDonald's all the time. It just proves how grossly-made that particular piece of food was.
    I think its stupid, because obviously eating at a fast food restaurant EVERYDAY for every meal is gonna make you unhealthy. I'm not saying that McDonald's is healthy, because I don't really think most fast food is healthy (I still love it though ), but its the people also that eat too much of it.

MusicAddictBabe

[6655]Dec 23, 2012
    haha I know! I feel like it was only made in the first place to make some "easy" money because it sorta reminds me of when people sue companies for stupidly obvious reasons (like that whole McDonald's coffee thing) - I heard one time that someone sued the Red Bull company because Red Bull didn't REALLY give you wings like the ads suggested...apparently they lost that trial since Red Bull still makes commercials like that. Ugh. Some people.

But anyway, yeah, I totally agree. Anybody with a 3rd grade attention span knows that eating there a lot is unhealthy. About 3/4 of the way through that film, he was told by his doctor (after starting the diet, his plan was to get a weekly checkup or something) that he should seriously consider stopping since he was grossly unhealthy. But he wouldn't, obviously, because he needed to finish his diet. Uh...no. If you're doing all this to prove a point, it's not worth it, especially since we all know the outcome of it. It's also not worth keeping up a diet if it's only making you worse.

I eat fast food from time to time too. Since I started commuting to college this past semester, I learned something about lunchtime - eating at McDonald's is so much more worth it than eating on campus. Not even kidding. As unhealthy as fast food is, it's just way better than eating the food they serve at my school in so many ways: 1.) It's way cheaper, I mean, a meal on campus costs about $5 (we have a lower food court that serves a bunch of things like they do at any gas station with pizza and chicken and stuff which equates to about $4 and something usually, and we have an upper food court that's mostly like a buffet where you pay first and eat as much as you want...it sounds good until you realize that half the time you're paying $5 for a couple things...seriously, my friends told me this year it was worse because they sometimes would only be serving a few things) and at McDonald's you have a Dollar Menu if you want something from there, 2.) the food is way better taste-wise (of course most people can agree that school food sucks), and 3.)...actually, I don't think I have anymore reasons....I didn't eat there. like, everyday or anything. In fact, a lot of times, if I ate something before I left, I could make it through the day without eating anything until I got home.

vanillacupcakes

[6656]Dec 24, 2012

It seems like every single high school kid had to watch Super Size Me. I haven't read Fastfood Nation though, has anybody read it? Is it worth reading?

One thing I liked about Super Size Me was how it also talked about the effects of mass consumerism and the school lunches part, which were the parts of the movie outside of Morgan's fast food experiment. I learned something not obvious WITHOUT people's health getting destroyed. I didn't really think his experiment was necessary, but the documentary as a whole was necessary to be effective to the people and McDonald's. Afterwards McDonald's got rid of the supersizing, gave pedometers, and had all these healthier food options, which they wouldn't have done otherwise.

Also, not saying that fastfood is "healthy", but it is definitely not as bad as people make it out to be. We also watched a video where people had to eat fastfood every meal for 30 days, but were also allowed to exercise and could eat whatever they wanted, as long as it was at a fast food restaurant. By being careful about what they were ordering, not having ridiculous portion sizes, and exercising a lot they turned out okay. People make horror stories about fast food all the time, but it's a little out of hand imo. I don't even like fast food that much, but a cheeseburger and fries at McD's won't kill you. There are decent salads at fast food places and Subway is pretty good.

I LOVE my school's food. It's better than fast food by FAR and wayyyy healthier. I seriously miss it when I'm on break and my family/friends who don't even go to my school will legitimately go there instead of restaurants to eat. I've also visited 2 other schools with pretty good food. It really depends on the school.

IA that people go to fast food more for the convenience and price. I understand the super busy people who need to pick up something quickly, but for the cheapskates who are able to be around their own home during lunch time...it's cheaper and all-around better to make your own lunch. Some people are just getting lazy(cough my parents coughhh) and just want to go to McDonald's all the time so they don't have to cook.

Edited on 12/24/2012 1:32am

BrookeParker

[6657]Dec 25, 2012
    • level: 12
    Merry Christmas! =D

MusicAddictBabe

[6658]Dec 25, 2012
    VC - Yeah, I guess that's true. I remember that experiment too. That was really interesting to learn about. I know what you mean about fast food not being as terrible as people make it out to be. I remember one time, when I was with my friends, one of them said that they rarely ever go to a fast food place and the other one agreed stating that she had probably only gone a few times each year, and they kept going on about it as if eating fast food more than a few times a year was, like, fatal to your existence or something. I kept my mouth shut because I couldn't relate - almost everytime I go somewhere with my family, we end up eating out most likely at a fast food restaurant. I mean, as long as you're smart about what you eat, you'll be fine. I went to McDonald's a lot this past semester, and I can honestly say that I am completely fine.

It does depend on the school. Just...not mine Our school's food is pretty gross. I also feel like it differs between elementary/high school and college. I mean, I brought my lunch for most of my life, but there were a few times my friends wouldn't finish something and would let me eat it instead and I thought it was pretty good, though, I didn't eat it all the time either. The first couple weeks at college, the food was decent. But after eating pretty much the same thing 3 times a day everyday, it got really bland really fast. So, it probably also depends on how often you're served that food too (taste-wise). Although, I can't say my school is completely unhealthy since we do have some healthy options to choose from. But I can't afford to pay for their stuff everyday...I'm guilty of being one of the world's pickiest eaters....

Yeah, I'd much rather have a home-cooked meal than fast food any day. Do your parents really do that?

--------------

In other news...

Merry Christmas to all and sorry I'm late.
    I've been busy as ever, so please do not hate.
    I don't know why I'm rhyming, as it gets kind of annoying.
    So, I'm gonna stop now....

Anyway, I wanted to get on Christmas Eve night instead to wish everybody a Merry Christmas, but my computer was being weird and wouldn't let me log on...and I still feel like I'm rhyming because I started out with one and now I keep hearing a sort of rhythm in my head each time I type up a few words.

teenj12

[6659]Dec 26, 2012
    Merry Christmas everyone . What did you all get? I got a lot of stuff, just to briefly list a few: Kindle Fire, a blue Nikon Camera, a Piano, a nice golden colored watch, and a debit card .

pixarprincess

[6660]Dec 26, 2012
    • level: 13
    Happy Birthday- oh, wait, no- Merry Christmas!

I got gift cards, Movie soundtracks, and perfume. I shall now commence my iTunes shopping spree! And Barnes and noble too. Enjoy your holidays!