We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

iCarly Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2012)

Ask The Editor

AnzaPower

[162]Aug 24, 2009
    • level: 6
    Hey, I've been watching iCarly from episode 1 this last two weeks and I spot a lot of stuff in the show and submit a lot of trivia, though I wonder, what the heck do you guys mean when you say "proofread"? proofread what? scripts? and sometimes it doesn't even make sense, for instance I tried to submit this as a trivia in the episode where Spencer and Freddy make a sign for advertisement for iCarly and put it in the highway:

" Spencer put up illegal advertisements on a highway, caused several crashes, corrupted traffic and endangered many drivers and could've caused death, yet all he gets from the cops is a warning..."

It got rejected and the reason was "proofread", proofread what? what's there to prove about it? we all saw him cause the crashes, crashes cause traffic corruption, and obviously chances of death almost caused weren't that small, what's there to proofread in that?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Obiwan456

[163]Aug 24, 2009
    • level: 12
    AnzaPower wrote:
    Hey, I've been watching iCarly from episode 1 this last two weeks and I spot a lot of stuff in the show and submit a lot of trivia, though I wonder, what the heck do you guys mean when you say "proofread"? proofread what? scripts? and sometimes it doesn't even make sense, for instance I tried to submit this as a trivia in the episode where Spencer and Freddy make a sign for advertisement for iCarly and put it in the highway:

" Spencer put up illegal advertisements on a highway, caused several crashes, corrupted traffic and endangered many drivers and could've caused death, yet all he gets from the cops is a warning..."

It got rejected and the reason was "proofread", proofread what? what's there to prove about it? we all saw him cause the crashes, crashes cause traffic corruption, and obviously chances of death almost caused weren't that small, what's there to proofread in that?

Wow, I could say so much right now. Proofread means to go over the submission and check spelling, grammar, etc....

AnzaPower

[164]Aug 25, 2009
    Obiwan456 wrote:

Wow, I could say so much right now. Proofread means to go over the submission and check spelling, grammar, etc....

So um, meaning proofread my own submission for grammer and spelling mistakes? I thought they meant proofread out of the script if what I said was true or not, and second, I one time submitted something that wasn't grammatically perfect the admin just fixed it and submitted it, why can't you guys just fix the small mistakes even though I'm pretty certain I didn't have any that were that significant? this doesn't make sense...

Anyways, should I try to re-submit those that got rejected for that reason with fixed grammer?

AndreaMSkate

[165]Aug 26, 2009
    • level: 49
    AnzaPower wrote:
    Obiwan456 wrote:

So um, meaning proofread my own submission for grammer and spelling mistakes? I thought they meant proofread out of the script if what I said was true or not, and second, I one time submitted something that wasn't grammatically perfect the admin just fixed it and submitted it, why can't you guys just fix the small mistakes even though I'm pretty certain I didn't have any that were that significant? this doesn't make sense...

Anyways, should I try to re-submit those that got rejected for that reason with fixed grammer?

I'm the editor who rejected your submission, and I say yes, you should.

AnzaPower

[166]Aug 28, 2009
    AndreaMSkate wrote:

Aw man, an other editor from another show explained to me that the submission system is being buggy and won't let the editors edit submissions, is that true?

Also, I always read over my posts before I post them, I read many trivias from other people and I am using Firefox which has a spell checker, so I don't really see where are the problems in my submissions, is it because they're a bit different from the usual TV.com syntax? maybe I could PM them to you and you can edit them and I re-submit them?

AndreaMSkate

[167]Aug 29, 2009

AnzaPower wrote:
    AndreaMSkate wrote:
    Aw man, an other editor from another show explained to me that the submission system is being buggy and won't let the editors edit submissions, is that true? Also, I always read over my posts before I post them, I read many trivias from other people and I am using Firefox which has a spell checker, so I don't really see where are the problems in my submissions, is it because they're a bit different from the usual TV.com syntax? maybe I could PM them to you and you can edit them and I re-submit them?

Even if I could edit them, it is NOT the editor's job to fix your mistakes. Sometimes I'll fix and accept them, but seeing as I'm very busy, if I see an error, I'm going to reject it automatically. Editors reserve the right to do that.

EDIT: I think the term "editor" is very misleading. We edit the guide for a particular show or person. It is not expected that we should fix the mistakes that you need to check over before submitting.

Edited on 08/29/2009 12:56pm

AnzaPower

[168]Aug 30, 2009
    ^ but to tell you the truth it really doesn't make much sense when someone tells you to fix your submission and resubmit when the only mistake you made was write the name "Kendell" instead of "Kendall", and the character being a 1-ep gueststar (that's the other editor I mentioned before), if he had the power to edit it all he needed to do was just highlight the E and replace it with an A, And I always submit only Trivia, as in goofs that I spot, it's the point in the trivia that counts not it's literal precision...

You're an editor and that's your job, you can't let other unrelated factors affect it and say something like you're "too busy" to do part of it, don't want to sound like a hypocrite but I'm just saying, I know what you mean when submissions are full of mistakes but when it's stuff like "Freddie" being spelled "Freddy" is that really that tough to fix? (not trying to be offensive just trying to state a point... )

And it doesn't do any good to my Accepted/Rejected ratio either...
    Edited on 08/30/2009 4:27am

AndreaMSkate

[169]Aug 30, 2009
    AnzaPower wrote:
    ^ but to tell you the truth it really doesn't make much sense when someone tells you to fix your submission and resubmit when the only mistake you made was write the name "Kendell" instead of "Kendall", and the character being a 1-ep gueststar (that's the other editor I mentioned before), if he had the power to edit it all he needed to do was just highlight the E and replace it with an A, And I always submit only Trivia, as in goofs that I spot, it's the point in the trivia that counts not it's literal precision...

You're an editor and that's your job, you can't let other unrelated factors affect it and say something like you're "too busy" to do part of it, don't want to sound like a hypocrite but I'm just saying, I know what you mean when submissions are full of mistakes but when it's stuff like "Freddie" being spelled "Freddy" is that really that tough to fix? (not trying to be offensive just trying to state a point... )

And it doesn't do any good to my Accepted/Rejected ratio either...

But the point is, fixing your mistakes is NOT my job. According to TV.com, it is well within my rights to reject submissions that have careless mistakes in them. When I make submissions to other guides, if I make a mistake, it is rejected and that's that. And I'm not going to change my mind, nor am I going to argue the point any further.

Uranium_OJ

[170]Sep 26, 2009

I don't know if anyone asked you this yet (since I didn't read the whole thread), but how did you get "editorship" of this show? Does that mean you can control whatever happens on this forum? Also, does each show's forum have an "editor" on there, locking duplicate threads?

Oh, and not to be rude or anything, but what if we WANT a more relaxed environment, here (or is it against TV.com rules, or something?) I understand that you have to lock duplicate threads, to maybe control the number of threads on a forum, but are there any other reasons? Like, let's say, a thread is getting heated and argumentative, would you have to lock it?

Thanks,

Uranium

Freddimamay

[171]Dec 16, 2009
    • level: 4
    AndreaMSkate

Do you edit for the show itself? Or just the boards? ie; questions to be transferred to the show's producers n such

In case what does that exactly entail?

I hope that question makes sense Sorry I'm just curious, lol.

Edited on 12/16/2009 9:41pm

AndreaMSkate

[172]Dec 28, 2009
    Uranium_OJ wrote:

I don't know if anyone asked you this yet (since I didn't read the whole thread), but how did you get "editorship" of this show? Does that mean you can control whatever happens on this forum? Also, does each show's forum have an "editor" on there, locking duplicate threads?

Oh, and not to be rude or anything, but what if we WANT a more relaxed environment, here (or is it against TV.com rules, or something?) I understand that you have to lock duplicate threads, to maybe control the number of threads on a forum, but are there any other reasons? Like, let's say, a thread is getting heated and argumentative, would you have to lock it?

Thanks,

Uranium

The type of environment on this forum is up to me. As of late, I've been too busy to moderate anything but submissions, so it's been pretty lax on the message boards. But that'll change once I have time to get on here at a sane hour (it's 2:35 AM as I write this, many many months after you posted the question).

AndreaMSkate

[173]Dec 28, 2009
    Freddimamay wrote:
    AndreaMSkate

Do you edit for the show itself? Or just the boards? ie; questions to be transferred to the show's producers n such

In case what does that exactly entail?

I hope that question makes sense Sorry I'm just curious, lol.

Just the boards. Several months back, another user got really confused about the same thing. All I do is moderate this forum and moderate submissions that people make to TV.com for the iCarly guide. That's all. I gained editorship by making a lot of submissions to the previous editor, who then retired.

marcdragicevic

[174]Jan 7, 2010
    • level: 21
    I submitted some cast information for iCarly: iBelieve in Bigfoot. This information is quite new but I got a message saying, please submit all cast in one submission. How are you suppose to submit all cast in one submission if there are new information still coming out?

DPluver2012

[175]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    Are you in charge of locking forums and deleting forums? If so, then why haven't you been deleting and locking the unneeded forums? They are piling up. I hope you don't take this wrong lol,but I'm sort of a neat freak and it's driving me crazy.
    Edited on 02/15/2010 8:40pm

marcdragicevic

[176]Feb 15, 2010
    Nah, I'm not the editor. I want to be the trusted contributor though.

The editor is. AndreaMSkate

DPluver2012

[177]Feb 15, 2010
    • level: 11
    marcdragicevic wrote:

oops i didnt mean to quote u xD sry!

marcdragicevic

[178]Feb 15, 2010
    DPluver2012 wrote:
    marcdragicevic wrote:

oops i didnt mean to quote u xD sry!

Oh, that is fine.

Minor_Annoyance

[179]Mar 19, 2010
    • level: 14
    Is there a policy against 'bumping' topics? I posted a question that didn't get an answer and it's on page 4 now where no one is likely to see it.

marcdragicevic

[180]Mar 25, 2010
    Minor_Annoyance wrote:
    Is there a policy against 'bumping' topics? I posted a question that didn't get an answer and it's on page 4 now where no one is likely to see it.

In my view, if there is a policay against 'bumping' topics, the thread should be locked.