We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 1: Air Discussion Thread

MarcolapinMar

[81]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 4
    I think Koh could be related.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Nerdnot

[82]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 14
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:
    do you have to be a bender to do energy bending??? Aang learned energy bending from that lion turtle, and i think i read somewhere that energy bending was there before bending :s

I guess you need to be able to ben, that makes only one possibility. You need to be a bender then born bender, or there is maybe another way to be able to energy bend ? Learning it or by gaining access to that power.

I have another question, could it be reversible ? Does that mean AMON could give that power to non-benders ?
    I doubt that. However, Non-Benders can learn to be benders.

MarcolapinMar

[83]Apr 22, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:
    do you have to be a bender to do energy bending??? Aang learned energy bending from that lion turtle, and i think i read somewhere that energy bending was there before bending :s

I guess you need to be able to ben, that makes only one possibility. You need to be a bender then born bender, or there is maybe another way to be able to energy bend ? Learning it or by gaining access to that power.

I have another question, could it be reversible ? Does that mean AMON could give that power to non-benders ?

Wait, non-benders can learn to be benders ? Where did u get that

Nerdnot

[84]Apr 22, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:

Toph was one. Her story answers the rest of the questions.

MarcolapinMar

[85]Apr 22, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:

Yeah, but she learned at the power source, some sources are extinct in the avatar world, not all of them, but maybe 90 % And that was in the time of Aang, now it's 70 years later.

Nerdnot

[86]Apr 22, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:

Yeah, but she learned at the power source, some sources are extinct in the avatar world, not all of them, but maybe 90 % And that was in the time of Aang, now it's 70 years later.
    Well they can still become Water benders and Air benders

MarcolapinMar

[87]Apr 22, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:

Well they can still become Water benders and Air benders

I have no idea.

ShagonsHeart

[88]Apr 22, 2012

I'm pretty sure you need to be born a bender at least now a days. Toph may have learned from the badgermoles but she already had the ability. Her parents knew and gave her a teacher. They most likely told him that she was blind helpless and not likely do much more that move a few pebbles. They probally didn't want her accidentally hurting herself in case she lost control, we've seen how overly emotional people can lose control while bending. That's why the teacher was focusing on mainly breathing and controlling techniques. If they could chose I don't think they would be encouraging her to bend since they always saw her a a fragile little flower.

Toph was one of if not the greatest earthbender of her time because she did learn directly from the original source. It's also why Zuko got his bending back after meeting the dragons but again he was already a fire bender he just needed a different source. It may have come back on it's own in time but he needed to train Aang so he really couldn't wait and see.

It's a little unclear just how the original benders learned from the source. We only really know the story behind Oma and Shu but just the basics. How does one go from watching a badgermole to learning how to do it themselves? Was there a spiritual aspect to it or were they just born with potential, the right chi flow or something? I still don't think just anyone can learn to be a bender.

Nerdnot

[89]Apr 22, 2012

ShagonsHeart wrote:
    I'm pretty sure you need to be born a bender at least now a days. Toph may have learned from the badgermoles but she already had the ability.
    I don't think she did.
    ShagonsHeart wrote:
    Her parents knew and gave her a teacher. They most likely told him that she was blind helpless and not likely do much more that move a few pebbles. They probally didn't want her accidentally hurting herself in case she lost control, we've seen how overly emotional people can lose control while bending. That's why the teacher was focusing on mainly breathing and controlling techniques. If they could chose I don't think they would be encouraging her to bend since they always saw her a a fragile little flower.

Toph was one of if not the greatest earthbender of her time because she did learn directly from the original source. It's also why Zuko got his bending back after meeting the dragons

He could do it, he just lost how his main source.
    ShagonsHeart wrote:
    but again he was already a fire bender he just needed a different source. It may have come back on it's own in time but he needed to train Aang so he really couldn't wait and see.

No it wouldn't!
    ShagonsHeart wrote:

It's a little unclear just how the original benders learned from the source.

It may have been confusing for you, but I got it.
    ShagonsHeart wrote:
    We only really know the story behind Oma and Shu but just the basics. How does one go from watching a badgermole to learning how to do it themselves? Was there a spiritual aspect to it or were they just born with potential, the right chi flow or something? I still don't think just anyone can learn to be a bender.

My best guess, copy their movements. Well, maybe you need to be born with something.

WolfsBlackSoul

[92]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 1

I was going to start a new thread to ask this question, but i figured it would be better to ask it here ...

Do you think thatany of theAir Acolytes can Airbend or is it only Tenzin and his family? They have only shown the family doing it, but maybe learning about the Air Nomad culture andhaving Flying Bison around will help the non-born benders relearn how to Airbend.

Nerdnot

[93]Apr 22, 2012
    WolfsBlackSoul wrote:

I was going to start a new thread to ask this question, but i figured it would be better to ask it here ...

Do you think thatany of theAir Acolytes can Airbend or is it only Tenzin and his family? They have only shown the family doing it, but maybe learning about the Air Nomad culture andhaving Flying Bison around will help the non-born benders relearn how to Airbend.

I don't anyone else is spirtal enough to do it.

WolfsBlackSoul

[94]Apr 22, 2012

Nerdnot wrote:

So does that mean you believe that the only Airbenders in the future (assuming Amon wontwipe outall bendersby the end of the series) will only be actual descendants of Aang?

Or do you believe that there is a chance that the people who are studying the culture and spiritual ways of the Air Nomads alongside Aangs descendants will eventually give birth to children who have the spirit of Airbenders? If they become spiritual enough?

Nerdnot

[95]Apr 23, 2012
    WolfsBlackSoul wrote:

Nerdnot wrote:

So does that mean you believe that the only Airbenders in the future (assuming Amon wontwipe outall bendersby the end of the series) will only be actual descendants of Aang?

Or do you believe that there is a chance that the people who are studying the culture and spiritual ways of the Air Nomads alongside Aangs descendants will eventually give birth to children who have the spirit of Airbenders? If they become spiritual enough?

Remember their are people watching Korra on the island. One of the probably should've picked it by now

Obelisk20

[96]Apr 23, 2012
    • level: 9
    Well, the show has so far exceeded my expectations (although Lin Bei Fong annoyed me to no end) . I just one question when is Korra gonna go into the Avatar State and what will trigger it?

Nerdnot

[97]Apr 23, 2012
    Obelisk20 wrote:
    Well, the show has so far exceeded my expectations (although Lin Bei Fong annoyed me to no end) . I just one question when is Korra gonna go into the Avatar State and what will trigger it?
    I'm pretty sure everyone is asking that question.

MarcolapinMar

[98]Apr 23, 2012
    Nerdnot wrote:
    Obelisk20 wrote:
    I'm pretty sure everyone is asking that question.

If I'm correct, like 75 % of the time, I would say in the next episode. The sneak preview shows Korra captive and the only way ( I guess ) to free herself, will be to get into the avatar state.

WolfsBlackSoul

[99]Apr 23, 2012

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    If I'm correct, like 75 % of the time, I would say in the next episode. The sneak preview shows Korra captive and the only way ( I guess ) to free herself, will be to get into the avatar state.

Its definetly possible, or someone could rescue her, like Mako, Bolin, or Tenzin. Its also possible he lets her go on purpose after scaring her, to spread fear around or something like that. I thinkI remember a clip with her crying in front of Tenzin and saying something like "I've never been so scared before".

I'm like a lot of others though. I want to see her in the Avatar state, so I kind of hope it happens in the next episode .... Actually what I really want is for her to "see" Aang. I really like this new show, but I still miss him. I hope eventually they might put flashbacks in an episode or two so we can see the original group after the events of the last series.

MarcolapinMar

[100]Apr 23, 2012
    WolfsBlackSoul wrote:

MarcolapinMar wrote:

Its definetly possible, or someone could rescue her, like Mako, Bolin, or Tenzin. Its also possible he lets her go on purpose after scaring her, to spread fear around or something like that. I thinkI remember a clip with her crying in front of Tenzin and saying something like "I've never been so scared before".

I'm like a lot of others though. I want to see her in the Avatar state, so I kind of hope it happens in the next episode .... Actually what I really want is for her to "see" Aang. I really like this new show, but I still miss him. I hope eventually they might put flashbacks in an episode or two so we can see the original group after the events of the last series.

I didnt really liked Aang, I still believe he was acting like a young brother with Katara, it seemed wrong.