We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

The Legend of Korra Forums

Nickelodeon (ended 2014)

Official Book 1: Air Discussion Thread

MarcolapinMar

[61]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 4
    Nerdnot wrote:

Oh, sorry I misunderstood you. I hope Amon doesn't kill

How the crap did I miss up the quoten thing?

That happens.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

readapost

[62]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 14
    MarcolapinMar wrote:

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    But, for that time, everyone thinks that their leader can't bend anymore, so he is losing his position in his organisation. He might be like Batman, but as an agent of chaos. ( if you know what I mean )
    I think I would rather refer to him as the Joker.

The Joker but, he doesnt kill anyone, he is just using his power to improve his influence. I think he is smart enough to use Korra has a weapon of propaganda and showing AMON like a real threat.

[/QUOTE] Doesn't Amon have the same power as propaganda? Plus who can really understand the Avatar? A being of mass power, you know what they say "people fear what they don't understand."

[63]Apr 21, 2012
    I have to say that I kind of called it.

As bad as this sounds, the Equalists kind of became Aang's "mistake" if you know what I mean. Not directly, no, but it kind of all goes back to him. I mean, we should have seen it coming, right?

Every Avatar has a main "mistake" or "flaw" as we've seen.

For Yangchen it was that she was undoubtedly harsh so that it caused Kuruk to slack off on his duties and be too laid back. For Kyoshi it was the mistake of creating the Dai Li. For Roku it was his leniency which led to the creation of the Hundred Year War. Then you have Aang who was, by nature, peaceful. His big mistake? He gave the people the idea of taking bending away. Although I actually like the fact that he did that instead of killing Ozai, it indirectly gave the nonbenders who were bitter towards benders for starting a century long conflict. They might have thought, "Hey, if the Avatar can take bending away, then why can't we?" If bending was taken away then all people could be "equal." Everyone would be nonbenders.

MarcolapinMar

[64]Apr 21, 2012

I have to say that I kind of called it. As bad as this sounds, the Equalists kind of became Aang's "mistake" if you know what I mean. Not directly, no, but it kind of all goes back to him. I mean, we should have seen it coming, right? Every Avatar has a main "mistake" or "flaw" as we've seen. For Yangchen it was that she was undoubtedly harsh so that it caused Kuruk to slack off on his duties and be too laid back. For Kyoshi it was the mistake of creating the Dai Li. For Roku it was his leniency which led to the creation of the Hundred Year War. Then you have Aang who was, by nature, peaceful. His big mistake? He gave the people the idea of taking bending away. Although I actually like the fact that he did that instead of killing Ozai, it indirectly gave the nonbenders who were bitter towards benders for starting a century long conflict. They might have thought, "Hey, if the Avatar can take bending away, then why can't we?" If bending was taken away then all people could be "equal." Everyone would be nonbenders.
    The avatar is the balance to who are born benderdoesntand those who aare not. I mean this is the whole point of the story. Just like the x-men, etc Aang did this because there is always another solution, republic city was suppose to be an image of peace, balance and respect to each nations and benders. People seems to forget about this and with all that '' injustice '' being a bender or not, you can't stop life. I expect the story to be even more dramatic, the conflict to be bigger. A division between benders and non-benders, etc That will give a reason to bring Zuko in the show, since he is still alive and traveling around the world.

Edited on 04/21/2012 11:44am

MarcolapinMar

[66]Apr 21, 2012
    readapost wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    But, for that time, everyone thinks that their leader can't bend anymore, so he is losing his position in his organisation. He might be like Batman, but as an agent of chaos. ( if you know what I mean )

The Joker but, he doesnt kill anyone, he is just using his power to improve his influence. I think he is smart enough to use Korra has a weapon of propaganda and showing AMON like a real threat.

Doesn't Amon have the same power as propaganda? Plus who can really understand the Avatar? A being of mass power, you know what they say "people fear what they don't understand."[/QUOTE]

I never said that would refer him as the joker. Bad quotes.

Nerdnot

[67]Apr 21, 2012

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    Nerdnot wrote:

MarcolapinMar wrote:

Doesn't Amon have the same power as propaganda? Plus who can really understand the Avatar? A being of mass power, you know what they say "people fear what they don't understand."
    I never said that would refer him as the joker. Bad quotes.
    I don't get that

FIXED IT!Cool

Edited on 04/21/2012 12:30pm
    Edited 2 total times.

readapost

[68]Apr 21, 2012

MarcolapinMar wrote:
    readapost wrote:
    MarcolapinMar wrote:

MarcolapinMar wrote:

Doesn't Amon have the same power as propaganda? Plus who can really understand the Avatar? A being of mass power, you know what they say "people fear what they don't understand."
    . Yeah something went wrong with my quote. I was saying about, Amon having the same power as propaganda who and about can really understand the Avatar? A being of mass power.

Edited on 04/21/2012 12:17pm
    Edited 2 total times.

MajLorne

[69]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 21
    AllieAllie wrote:

Maybe, but that would mean they were benders? And they're part of the nonbending movement right?

I think the followers of Amon are only chi blockers, while Amon would secretly have some sort of bending powers. Then again, maybe his story about being burnt by firebenders could be true and he learned energy bending from the spirit world and used it for darker purposes.

UnovaChampion wrote:
    That "lightning" looked like a weapon of some sort to electricute Bolin.

Not actual bending.
    Oh ok, I forgot that this era they have technology that can create actual weapons without the need to learn some form of bending. The promos went by too fast for me to get a clear view of the 'sticks'.

Nerdnot

[70]Apr 21, 2012
    Whoa, American Relovationin Avatar!

SokkaAppa

[71]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 11

Wow just watched the new episode "revelation" and I am completely blown away. I didnt think it was possible for this show to live up the original but it has set the stage to exceed it if you ask me. And the think we could have had a live-action format of this wonderful avatar world until M. Knight "Effed" it up. ugh!!! Sorry I am still not over that but anyway this show fantastic.

edmasterchaos

[72]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 41
    "Amon is like Ozai, but more handsome." 4/21/12

Saw the episode. It's awesome, Mako's character gets more depth, Korra shows her kinda aggressive love style and, most importantly, Amon gets a proper introduction. Now, Amon is pretty awesome, but is he truly the fantasy non-magical Marx? I say no. Amon is our fantasy magical Hitler.

I study communications and last semester i had to crack a couple of political speeches, plus now i'm studying how speeches are structured, so here's my take at Amon's speech:

***SPOILER***

So, all in all, he's Amon, someone more humble than you, who has suffered first hand the terror that benders bring. Like Zuko, his face has been scarred due to a bender. The spirits have chosen him to wield a power unlike any other and the Avatar is wrong.

Now, all of this i call bull.
    Amon conveniently only fights three people: A gang-leader firebender and his water and earth bending sidekicks (and was going to fight our earthbending hero, Bolin). There are other gangs in the city, but Amon handpicked one where a firebender ruled and so he made a spectacle of it, he fought the firebender and stripped him from bendning, saying it'd make it a fair fight, so far that's good, now what makes that stand out is the fact that there was no earth or water on stage, AKA the water and earthbenders were screwed.

So, why did he face a firebender head-on but didn't give water and earth a fair chance? Because Amon is a firebender, he knew firebending techniques like the back of his hand so that allows him to read the man's attack with more ease and therefor dodge like a pro. His chi-blocking kung-fu probably made taking care of the water and earthbender an easy task, as well.

Now, what happens to those three? I say that there are two things:
    A) The entire point of Amon's technique is to press his thumb against the forehead, one of the biggest Chakra points, perhaps some massive heat there can make chi-blocking techniques more permanent.
    B) If we don't see those guys again... who is to say that Amon's thing is any more permanent than any other chi-blocking attack? Nobody can say otherwise since he would make sure they aren't seen bending again, or in other words, seen at all...

Now, i keep saying Amon's a firebender for another reason, the whole episode was filled to the brim with fire. It's what Korra did the most in combat, it's Mako's element, also the element of the man who killed Mako's parents, the Triad man fought with fire, Korra used steam, aka pretty much Water+Fire and we saw Zuko's monument, a statue that firebends nonstop. So with this going on, I say Amon and fire are linked.

Not confirmed, but, Amon's eyes are golden, no?

Now, why? Why is this happening? Well, Amon can't possibly try and pull a Pokemon BW plot (taking all the pokemon/bending away so he controls the most powerful pokemon/bending in teh world while having no one to oppose him). Taking down the government and ruling himself? Perhaps. Maybe he does believe that bending is evil and that, despite being a firebender himself (or maybe he really isn't), the world doesn't need bending.
    But either way, i say he's lying about stuff. What i can say for certain is that there are no scars behind that mask.

MajLorne

[73]Apr 21, 2012
    • level: 21
    Awesome post, I can't add anything other than to say you made some excellent points there.

Nerdnot

[74]Apr 22, 2012
    Neither can I for that matter.

MarcolapinMar

[75]Apr 22, 2012
    :

So, all in all, he's Amon, someone more humble than you, who has suffered first hand the terror that benders bring. Like Zuko, his face has been scarred due to a bender. The spirits have chosen him to wield a power unlike any other and the Avatar is wrong.

Amon conveniently only fights three people: A gang-leader firebender and his water and earth bending sidekicks (and was going to fight our earthbending hero, Bolin). There are other gangs in the city, but Amon handpicked one where a firebender ruled and so he made a spectacle of it, he fought the firebender and stripped him from bendning, saying it'd make it a fair fight, so far that's good, now what makes that stand out is the fact that there was no earth or water on stage, AKA the water and earthbenders were screwed.

So, why did he face a firebender head-on but didn't give water and earth a fair chance? Because Amon is a firebender, he knew firebending techniques like the back of his hand so that allows him to read the man's attack with more ease and therefor dodge like a pro. His chi-blocking kung-fu probably made taking care of the water and earthbender an easy task, as well.

A) The entire point of Amon's technique is to press his thumb against the forehead, one of the biggest Chakra points, perhaps some massive heat there can make chi-blocking techniques more permanent.
    B) If we don't see those guys again... who is to say that Amon's thing is any more permanent than any other chi-blocking attack? Nobody can say otherwise since he would make sure they aren't seen bending again, or in other words, seen at all...

You are thinking too far, AMON did give a chance to the other guys, the firebender and the earthbender, they were already scared and didnt want to face AMON, he tooks their boss power. They were just henchmen, not crime lords, just like Bolin they could have been taken randomly.

I have to agree that he knows a lot about firebending or maybe more about the other bending, since we havent see him fighting another type. But, he knows how to avoid their attacks.

About the revelation thing, '' energy bending '' I do think it is permently, I don't agree about the fact that they would make AMON saying - '' Your power is gone forever '' for one episode, that was just made for that episode and finally find out that it was fake. He is doing exactly the same moves that Aang did with Ozai, except there is an emphasis on his thumb and maybe some small differences how he grabs the guy.

Nerdnot

[76]Apr 22, 2012
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    :

About the revelation thing, '' energy bending '' I do think it is permently, I don't agree about the fact that they would make AMON saying - '' Your power is gone forever '' for one episode, that was just made for that episode and finally find out that it was fake. He is doing exactly the same moves that Aang did with Ozai, except there is an emphasis on his thumb and maybe some small differences how he grabs the guy.
    I think that its only permant to everyone but Korra. Somebody mentioned on here that Amon grabed the neck. Chakras anybody?

M_AD_S

[77]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 5
    do you have to be a bender to do energy bending??? Aang learned energy bending from that lion turtle, and i think i read somewhere that energy bending was there before bending :s

Nerdnot

[78]Apr 22, 2012
    M_AD_S wrote:
    do you have to be a bender to do energy bending??? Aang learned energy bending from that lion turtle, and i think i read somewhere that energy bending was there before bending :s
    That was what the Lion Turtle said.

MarcolapinMar

[79]Apr 22, 2012
    M_AD_S wrote:

I guess you need to be able to ben, that makes only one possibility. You need to be a bender then born bender, or there is maybe another way to be able to energy bend ? Learning it or by gaining access to that power.

I have another question, could it be reversible ? Does that mean AMON could give that power to non-benders ?

M_AD_S

[80]Apr 22, 2012
    • level: 5
    MarcolapinMar wrote:
    M_AD_S wrote:

I guess you need to be able to ben, that makes only one possibility. You need to be a bender then born bender, or there is maybe another way to be able to energy bend ? Learning it or by gaining access to that power.

I have another question, could it be reversible ? Does that mean AMON could give that power to non-benders ?

good question, it is a possible i think